Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does the charger that comes with the S7 Edge support Qualcomm Quick Charge? I understand that Samsung refers to it as Adaptive Fast Charge, but Ampere shows that the phone is charging at between 500 and 900mA. I though Quick Charge was supposed to charge at much higher rates?

It should. I actually haven't unboxed mine because I have a few of the S6/Note5 era QC chargers floating around (including the one for my imported Moto Maxx) but to devices that support "either" standard it's basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

edit: NM got it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Surveying consumers on whether or not they want removable storage is pointless anyways, because they're always going to vote in favor of 'more options'. The real question to be asking is "How often do you remove/swap your storage card?", and the answer to that is going to mostly be 'when I get a new phone', with some weird minority that pulls their SD card to look at their cat pictures instead of just using USB.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's okay to give up talking to the brick wall, Rastor. I've now come to the conclusion that everyone in this thread is a loving alien and/or reptile person.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Daily Forecast posted:

It's okay to give up talking to the brick wall, Rastor. I've now come to the conclusion that everyone in this thread is a loving alien and/or reptile person.

Yep, everyone but you is wrong.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Still waiting for your common sense proof that everyone with an SD card slot uses it. Would you say the same for IR blasters and Samsung Pay and the Note's stylus and any other feature?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Still waiting for your common sense proof that everyone with an SD card slot uses it. Would you say the same for IR blasters and Samsung Pay and the Note's stylus and any other feature?

Oddly enough I have a Nexus 5X, it lacks an SD Card, IR Blaster, Samsung Pay, and a Note Stylus, but I find myself using them all the time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Oddly enough I have a Nexus 5X, it lacks an SD Card, IR Blaster, Samsung Pay, and a Note Stylus, but I find myself using them all the time.

What a weird reptile person you are!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I don't care about SD card slots because I live in a first world country with free wifi everywhere. The butt is my SD card slot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Have you rebooted it recently? Experts recommend you reboot your phone every fifteen minutes!

Serious post: anyone running N Preview on a 6P care to comment on stability? I feel like it's good enough on my Pixel to stick it on my phone but I'm a little reluctant for obvious reasons.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha holy poo poo. This thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BottleKnight posted:

I wasn't sure at the time but I looked it up a little and no there is a toggle to invert colors, like black is white and white is black and it's like looking at photo negatives. It's weird as hell.
Woah! You're right. You have to edit the panel to find it, but its there.

Trippy.

e: even weirder, try taking a screenshot with that mode on. It doesn't work (screenshot is normal colors).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Daily Forecast posted:

Really?

Do you keep your desktop computer or laptop on 24/7? Why would you want to keep what is essentially a portable version of that on 24/7/365?

The answer to that is yes. The only time I restart or shut down (rather than sleep/hibernate) is when the kernel updates, and it has to be restarted to apply changes. That varies, but can easily be months. I haven't shut my Mac work laptop down since I got it (which, granted, was only 4 weeks ago, but still), and I can't remember the last time I've had to restart my Windows box that wasn't for windows updates (which, granted, happens much more frequently than the Mac/Linux box, but still).

My phone hasn't been restarted in 19 days, but even then was only because my cat stood on my pocket long enough to turn it off (I still love power/volume buttons on the back though). Before that it was in the 50+ days range. The reason I thought this was a troll was because people were regularly posting screenshots of many thousands of hours updates until the mods started frowning on it.

Yes, occasionally devices require a restart to fix wonky problems or sluggishness, but if that is seriously happening to you on the order of days/weeks instead of months, there is something wrong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I used this SD card: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...ung+EVO+SD+card as adoptable storage in my Moto G 2nd gen. That's a good one, right? Or did I gently caress up? I also bought a 64GB version for a tablet I'm planning on buying. :ohdear:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tunga posted:

Serious post: anyone running N Preview on a 6P care to comment on stability? I feel like it's good enough on my Pixel to stick it on my phone but I'm a little reluctant for obvious reasons.

The release notes suggest it's still unstable and is not suitable for daily use on a phone, so I wouldn't do it yet.

It is also not a "blessed" CTS-passing build, so if you use any apps that rely upon SafetyNet checks to validate the OS integrity (e.g. Android Pay), it'll break.

Also it looks like it now enforces some stricter requirements on filesystem access and also not passing file:// URIs in intents. If any app you use does these things, it'll have problems. For instance, the app I build at work fails to run properly for these reasons. I'm sure we'll get a bunch of 1-star reviews in the store for "fails to run right on a loving alpha pre-release OS."

Long and short, no, don't use it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

teagone posted:

I used this SD card: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...ung+EVO+SD+card as adoptable storage in my Moto G 2nd gen. That's a good one, right? Or did I gently caress up? I also bought a 64GB version for a tablet I'm planning on buying. :ohdear:

Your main concern should be whether or not the SD card is actually genuine, otherwise it should be fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

isndl posted:

Your main concern should be whether or not the SD card is actually genuine, otherwise it should be fine.

How do I tell if it's genuine or not?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hey all! I'd like to add to the MicroSD card discussion.

Apps stored on my SD card often move back over to the internal storage (usually during updates it seems) and I have to manually move them back. Also my camera will randomly start saving photos in the internal storage and I'll have to change the setting back to external again.

I have an LG G3 on Verizon, a Samsung Pro 32gig card, and Android 6.0. But I had these same problems with 5.x too.

Is there a way to stop this? Is it more likely a problem with my phone or my SD card?

Thanks! :)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

teagone posted:

It's sold by Amazon itself, so it's almost certainly fine. If it's not genuine for some reason, Amazon will bend over backwards to make it right.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there something wrong with my S7 Edge? The App Switch button never illuminates. The back button lights up when I press it, but the switcher button doesn't...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fartzone_42069 posted:

Hey all! I'd like to add to the MicroSD card discussion.

Apps stored on my SD card often move back over to the internal storage (usually during updates it seems) and I have to manually move them back. Also my camera will randomly start saving photos in the internal storage and I'll have to change the setting back to external again.

I have an LG G3 on Verizon, a Samsung Pro 32gig card, and Android 6.0. But I had these same problems with 5.x too.

Is there a way to stop this? Is it more likely a problem with my phone or my SD card?

Thanks! :)
You're seeing the half-rear end implementation of external SD storage from Lollipop. The way you're set up now, you will have to re-move your apps after every update. However, since you're on 6.0, you should be able to reformat your SD card as internal storage (this is known as 'adoptable' storage) and then the phone will it as one giant place to put stuff. Make sure you have a fast, quality card like the one linked a few posts up. This URL should help you get it set up: http://www.greenbot.com/article/3039136/android/adoptable-storage-in-android-6-0-what-it-is-how-it-works.html

Furthermore, ignore all other posts about SD cards in this thread for the rest of eternity, hope this helps.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

You're seeing the half-rear end implementation of external SD storage from Lollipop. The way you're set up now, you will have to re-move your apps after every update. However, since you're on 6.0, you should be able to reformat your SD card as internal storage (this is known as 'adoptable' storage) and then the phone will it as one giant place to put stuff. Make sure you have a fast, quality card like the one linked a few posts up. This URL should help you get it set up: http://www.greenbot.com/article/3039136/android/adoptable-storage-in-android-6-0-what-it-is-how-it-works.html

Furthermore, ignore all other posts about SD cards in this thread for the rest of eternity, hope this helps.

Serious question: what happens if you remove the SD card after this, or it goes bad? I assume since the system stuff is still on internal, it can boot to recovery and reformat?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RVProfootballer posted:

Serious question: what happens if you remove the SD card after this, or it goes bad? I assume since the system stuff is still on internal, it can boot to recovery and reformat?
It'd probably break some of your downloaded apps if you didn't put the card back in or if it did actually fail, but the boot and system partitions always reside in the onboard storage so it wouldn't leave the phone inoperable or anything.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Awesome thanks. I assume backing up my files first is prudent.

SD card is a few years old.

"Samsung 16GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 90MB/s with Adapter (MB-MG16DA/AM)" Is that fast or slow these days? lovely or not lovely? Don't even know what being Class 10 means.

e: I know you said ignore SD card posts but I bought the card in 2013 and technology moves very fast!

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 12, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is there something wrong with my S7 Edge? The App Switch button never illuminates. The back button lights up when I press it, but the switcher button doesn't...

It should be lit up just as much as the back button.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fartzone_42069 posted:

Awesome thanks. I assume backing up my files first is prudent.

SD card is a few years old.

"Samsung 16GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 90MB/s with Adapter (MB-MG16DA/AM)" Is that fast or slow these days? lovely or not lovely? Don't even know what being Class 10 means.

e: I know you said ignore SD card posts but I bought the card in 2013 and technology moves very fast!
I'd spring for a new UHS-1 card. This article from Moto talks about speeds and what the little icons mean: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/109134/p/1449,9582

I personally went with this one for adopable storage: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012DT8OJ4

isndl
May 2, 2012

teagone posted:

If you scroll down to the reviews there's somebody going into exhaustive detail in checking for counterfeits. Some of them are pretty sophisticated these days.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zotix posted:

It should be lit up just as much as the back button.

Hmmm, mine does light up at all... Oh well, don't care enough about it to return it. Already got it set up.

edit: vvv NEAT! Thanks for the info!

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 12, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hmmm, mine does light up at all... Oh well, don't care enough about it to return it. Already got it set up.

If you download the Galaxy Button Lights app you should be able to turn the other light off, therefore as long as you remember the position of each button you won't be annoyed. I haven't had mine turned on for months, even though they work.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

Woah! You're right. You have to edit the panel to find it, but its there.

Trippy.

e: even weirder, try taking a screenshot with that mode on. It doesn't work (screenshot is normal colors).

Guess where this feature comes from, that's right Touchwiz. Allegedly it's an accessibility feature to help the colorblind.

At the rate Google is adding Touchwiz features to AOSP I expect the "just once" intent to be gone by Android O.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Guess where this feature comes from, that's right Touchwiz. Allegedly it's an accessibility feature to help the colorblind.

At the rate Google is adding Touchwiz features to AOSP I expect the "just once" intent to be gone by Android O.

Well considering TouchWiz is the best overall flavor I can't say Google is doing anything wrong at this point.

Out of curiosity, what are people's opinion of Silicon Power for an SD card? I had never really heard of them but my friend speaks very highly of them and claims they are about on par with Samsung.

He suggested buying the 64gb silicon power pro (claims 90 read, 80 write) and if i don't like it he'd buy the card off me for the total I paid. Nabbed it for 25.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Desk Lamp posted:

To be fair it actually seems useful in that case.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

To be fair it actually seems useful in that case.

Yeah, my point was more that people who don't own or use Galaxy phones don't really know of all the actually useful features it's brought to Android, focusing instead on all the useless gimmicks it added back in the Galaxy S4 days.

I think all these changes to both AOSP and Touchwiz are the product of the meetings between Samsung and Google prior to Kit Kat. After those meetings Samsung began toning down its alterations while Google has been steadily introducing native support for most Touchwiz features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

The reason I thought this was a troll was because people were regularly posting screenshots of many thousands of hours updates until the mods started frowning on it.

I still fondly remember selling my Nexus One with a 1729 hour uptime on some random CM7 nightly.

Grumpwagon posted:

Yes, occasionally devices require a restart to fix wonky problems or sluggishness, but if that is seriously happening to you on the order of days/weeks instead of months, there is something wrong.

Gee, I wonder what's wrong when it's the manufacturer suggesting it? Oh well, I'm sure it's not the fact that Samsung writes software about as well as a four year old could perpetrate antiquities fraud.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

New Samsung phone time is great. I get a VR, a year of netflix, a free 32gb micro SD, and a $30 gift card for getting this new phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you can definitely tell something is good when they have to give you a bunch of extra stuff just to get you to buy it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, you can definitely tell something is good when they have to give you a bunch of extra stuff just to get you to buy it.

I'd rather take a direct discount and pay 400-500€ instead of 700€ and all that crap. Please remove the S-apps while at it to bring the price even lower.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BottleKnight posted:

I wasn't sure at the time but I looked it up a little and no there is a toggle to invert colors, like black is white and white is black and it's like looking at photo negatives. It's weird as hell.

That's been there since Lollipop (when you couldn't remove toggles, so if you found it you had to let it sit untouched in the notification panel for a month or something before it would go away again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

baka kaba posted:

That's been there since Lollipop (when you couldn't remove toggles, so if you found it you had to let it sit untouched in the notification panel for a month or something before it would go away again)

Or set your phone's date forward a month, then put it back.