Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Saturday night is home burgin night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Some serious burg game going on lately.

My meager contribution:

I absolutely love red onions on all burgs and sandwiches, but that might even be too much for me! Otherwise solid - what kind of cheeses?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why did I read this thread when I'm hungry but know I can't eat for 2 hours? :smith:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

beerinator posted:

I ate this thing.

mine eyes have seen the glory :eyepop:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I absolutely love red onions on all burgs and sandwiches, but that might even be too much for me! Otherwise solid - what kind of cheeses?

provalone and a nicely aged cheddar.
the middle half of the onion was gone, it was just the right amount.
I wanted a nice crunch, and I got it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I usually put a full slice of white onion on my burgs. gently caress tha allium police.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jehde posted:

I usually put a full slice of white onion on my burgs. gently caress tha allium police.

vidalia onion.
Sweet ones, like Texas sweet. I'll cut that bitch an inch thick and slap it on there.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Does anyone have a soft (plain or sesame) white burger bun recipe they would recommend?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
General consensus so far are these king Arthur flour burger buns. I made them successfully and I can't bake for poo poo. They are pretty worthy if you don't like the super light brioche or whatever: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

I have burged a bit lately, including a homemade, will post at some stage when I can be bothered

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheeseburger from Husk in Nashville. This was by loving far the best burger I've had in my life.

Hi burg thread. Why the hell are you on page two!? Shameful. Anyway, I'm quotin this cuz Sean Brock's cookbook, Heritage, has a recipe for this burg and I got a craving for it.

Here's my attempt. Did a rough grind of chuck with a bit of flank and a tiny bit of bacon mixed in, 3 oz patties cooked on a flat top in rendered beef fat smashed style, shaved onion under the cheese, Brock's burg sauce on top and bottom of a potato roll. Wedges were parboiled in vinegared and salted water, dried off, dusted with seasoned cornstarch and wok fried.

So drat good. I think I got it like 95% as good as the restaurant's.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Casu Marzu posted:

Hi burg thread. Why the hell are you on page two!? Shameful. Anyway, I'm quotin this cuz Sean Brock's cookbook, Heritage, has a recipe for this burg and I got a craving for it.

Here's my attempt. Did a rough grind of chuck with a bit of flank and a tiny bit of bacon mixed in, 3 oz patties cooked on a flat top in rendered beef fat smashed style, shaved onion under the cheese, Brock's burg sauce on top and bottom of a potato roll. Wedges were parboiled in vinegared and salted water, dried off, dusted with seasoned cornstarch and wok fried.

you done well, intrepid burgoon

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Casu Marzu posted:

nice instagram filter on your burger

gumbo
Feb 14, 2012
Here's some tasty burgers I've consumed

They were all amazing

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Good burgs. Good times.

I'm going for a Mothers Day [uk edition] meal. Burgs will be consumed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I noticed the supermarket near me selling heinz mustard pickle yesterday so bought some and its a really good burger condiment

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jose posted:

I noticed the supermarket near me selling heinz mustard pickle yesterday so bought some and its a really good burger condiment

Cool

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I was gonna burg tonight, but I'm already over my daily calorie allotment so I gotta wait till tomorrow. :(

Shame because I just bought some chipotle mayonnaise at the store that I've been wanting to try.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been wondering about how safe it is to eat burgers rare or medium rare, or even medium, when prepared from supermarket ground beef? I'm talking about the the shrink wrap plastic tray product you'd get from WalMart and such. I've found them pretty good for burgers on the cheap.

I'm getting into preparing my own burger mixes after borrowing a friend's grinder once and trying out different recipes. (I've settled on a mix of shortrib, oxtail, and chopped up braised beef tendon. I find it :perfect:) And as I understand it, as long as the beef you put in is good quality and fresh, eating it rare is no problem, right?

Could the same be said for pre-packaged ground beef?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Any piece of the meat that has been exposed to the air should be considered contaminated and should be cooked to 165 at least. Steaks you can get away with rare because you're still cooking the outside past the danger zone. With ground meat the whole thing is germ ville.

You're probably not going to die though. Go nuts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah when ground beef gets... ground... the bacteria on the surface of the original steak gets mixed in. if the middle of the meat gets above 40, that bacteria starts growing. i still do make burgs mid-mid rare sometimes but just know the risks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is slightly off topic, on a similar note - what's the deal with beef tartare being served raw then? I realize it's (supposed to be) hand cut rather than run through a grinder, but it's still mixed generally which would have the same effect. Is it not supposed to get above 40 between the kitchen and being eaten?

Personally, I've fine eating a medium burger at any reputable place. Mid rare is a bit too much for me on burgers because of the texture, but I'm generally not a huge fan of tartare for the same reasons.

Edit: Kinda figured as much, that makes sense.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 10, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The difference there is it's generally being prepared from a fresh cut stored under controlled conditions and served immediately. Even if it warms up, there simply isn't time for anything to grow.

With supermarket ground beef, it's generally ground in bulk, which gives bacteria time to multiply a bit even if they don't immediately produce any kind of toxins. You just can't have as tight control over the meat's exposure and conditions as you can with a single dish prepared by an expert.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I made all my burgs at home med rare. But I'm a also grinding good quality chuck and other cuts that have had limited surface/air exposure.

I go medium when I eat out cuz im not a fan of food poisoning.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Norns posted:

I go medium when I eat out cuz im not a fan of food poisoning.

I go medium when I eat out, mainly because I don't know how loose the restaurant's patty is going to be. A loosely packed medium rare burger is not really something I enjoy. Maybe I'm lucky, but I always cook medium rare burgers at home and I don't think any of them have made me sick.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This was posted on imgur:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Palpek posted:

This was posted on imgur:

Those are some post-hipster level burgs right there.

Nicely photographed though, I've missed these kinda posts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tempura kimchi sounds loving delicious. Taking that idea.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'd eat those burgs but I don't think I'd order them.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'd eat those burgs but I don't think I'd order them.

I'd probably do the same, minus the non-traditional buns. Just can't get down with those

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've had rice buns on shrimp burgs before. Good that way

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
"Harissa Tomei" is a loving masterstroke.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Whatever happened to the beefy cheesy boys? Cheese meat cheese cheese meat and that's it!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

on the opposite end of the spectrum from hipster burgers, whatever happened to the BK stackers? those were my go-to cheap burg back when they were new, but apparently they got rid of em a few years back or something cause i never see them the rare occasion i go there these days

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
It's all about the little bacon double cheeseburgers from the dollar menu at BK. Definitely my go-to shameful fast food burg.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
those hipster burgers probably taste good and all but give me a proper cheese burger w/o loving chickpeas please

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

It's all about the little bacon double cheeseburgers from the dollar menu at BK. Definitely my go-to shameful fast food burg.

Order a rodeo cheeseburger.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Secret Spoon posted:

Order a rodeo cheeseburger.

Oh gently caress....

How has this wonder evaded me for so long????

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I should have taken pics but we burged. Very simple, was kinda tired of burgs with too much stuff - salt and pepper on the beef, a proper smashed pair of patties for each burg with some sliced cheddar between and nothing on but bacon, sauteed onions and lettuce. That's it.

Well, and some dijon mustard. Man, they were loving great.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Fututor Magnus posted:

So I've been wondering about how safe it is to eat burgers rare or medium rare, or even medium, when prepared from supermarket ground beef? I'm talking about the the shrink wrap plastic tray product you'd get from WalMart and such. I've found them pretty good for burgers on the cheap.

I'm getting into preparing my own burger mixes after borrowing a friend's grinder once and trying out different recipes. (I've settled on a mix of shortrib, oxtail, and chopped up braised beef tendon. I find it :perfect:) And as I understand it, as long as the beef you put in is good quality and fresh, eating it rare is no problem, right?

Could the same be said for pre-packaged ground beef?

IMO sidestep the issue entirely by just making a smashed burger, by the time it gets a good sear it will cook it all the way through and will remain juicy because it never stayed on the heat long enough to dry out. Cooking to doneness is for steaks, where the characteristics of the meat can actually be preserved by virtue of not being sent through a grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yup. If you crush your burgs like I do and the patties are maybe 1/3 of an inch thick, doneness isn't really an issue.

• Locked thread