Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

peak debt posted:

That is like the worst advice. Windows 10 is deep in beta state right now, I'd never roll that out in the Enterprise. Either stay on Windows 7 or if you need the new features, roll out Windows 8.1

Microsoft is serious about Win10 support. Most of the initial quirks have been dealt with since release 1511, and they'll go out of their way to help you if you can identify a legitimate issue and open a case.

Honestly though, the OS doesn't matter. Getting Win10 running is easy, but basically pointless unless you can also get UEFI running across the board. If you can get Win8.1 working, in most cases you can in-place upgrade and/or swap out the wim in your task sequences with minimal additional effort. But getting firmware settings right across non-consistent hardware, ughh, and non of the Win10 security features are worth a drat without.

Calidus posted:

Our book keeper quit last week and a the new starts next week. All the various(STUPID) banking and vendor websites require custom internet security settings and cookies. It is possible the change the name and sign in information on a user account and keep all those settings the windows machine? If I rename the account using Active Directory, can just rename the user folder on the windows work station?

The cookies may be a hassle, but you can easily migrate most IE settings by exporting
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Internet Explorer
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer
HKCU/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Internet Explorer

and re-importing them into a new profile.

As others have said though, the correct long-term approach is documenting the settings and getting them into GPO or DCM or something.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jeoh posted:

ProfWiz

That's it, thank you sir.

On Windows 10, it's just that not all vendors are there yet.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

This owns! I've been trying to figure out how to tackle this problem.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Edit: nevermind.

poxin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 14, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BadLock is coming and it looks horrendously bad. Here's the marketing BS site:

http://badlock.org/

Here's some other links with impact analysis:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3047227/security/prepare-to-patch-a-critical-flaw-in-windows-and-samba-file-sharing.html
https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2016/03/bad-luck-over-the-upcoming-badlock-vulnerability/

Hopefully we get to April 12th without this breaking embargo or someone making an exploit that targets it. Regardless, the next Patch Tuesday is going to be a crazy one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

BadLock is coming and it looks horrendously bad. Here's the marketing BS site:

http://badlock.org/

Here's some other links with impact analysis:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3047227/security/prepare-to-patch-a-critical-flaw-in-windows-and-samba-file-sharing.html
https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2016/03/bad-luck-over-the-upcoming-badlock-vulnerability/

Hopefully we get to April 12th without this breaking embargo or someone making an exploit that targets it. Regardless, the next Patch Tuesday is going to be a crazy one.

I'm so hard for April 12th

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I need to deploy 20 Windows 7 VMs for testing a program and I proceed to download the latest Windows 7 SP1 Pro Image from MSDN.

The hell? The latest image is from 2012 and I have over 300 updates. Win 7 might be showing it age but what in the hell?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

I need to deploy 20 Windows 7 VMs for testing a program and I proceed to download the latest Windows 7 SP1 Pro Image from MSDN.

The hell? The latest image is from 2012 and I have over 300 updates. Win 7 might be showing it age but what in the hell?

I was just thinking last night how an SP2 is long overdue.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Microsoft only rolls out new ISO's when there is a service pack, and Windows 7 only got one.

There are methods to integrate matches, but MS doesn't test this, instead only supporting post install patching.

You can either patch the installer yourself, or do an install and let it patch itself, then sysprep and clone it.

P.S. the install and let it patch itself will be less frustrating, and not actually any more time consuming.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Microsoft will never release SP2 unfortunately.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

incoherent posted:

This is old thinking. If you're worried about the platform look at LTSB Win10. LTSB is windows 7. If you can't even hit that target I don't know what to say.

LTSB is meant for kiosks and poo poo like that and as such, contains a limited set of features. Its upgrade cycle being closer to previous Windows versions (with major upgrades every few years instead of every few months) doesn't make it appropriate to use on regular workstations.

With that said, enterprises should be working on Windows 10 if they are in the process of an OS upgrade or planning for one. If you're already working on Windows 8.1 then it really isn't much different and if you're still using Windows 7 then it doesn't make sense to put in the work and not go to the newest available. My company stayed on Windows 7 and we've been working on the upgrade to 10 since December. At this point we're basically waiting for 1511 to be declared business ready (or CBB or deferred channel or whatever the gently caress Microsoft is calling it today) and our new hardware to arrive before we start rolling out to regular users. It's not that hard.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'd kill to go full Win10 just so I can decline the 6 million windows 7 updates I have on WSUS :smith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caf posted:

LTSB is meant for kiosks and poo poo like that and as such, contains a limited set of features. Its upgrade cycle being closer to previous Windows versions (with major upgrades every few years instead of every few months) doesn't make it appropriate to use on regular workstations.

Ehh... LTSB isn't quite that. It's a long term supported build that doesn't introduce new features. It's great for kiosks and poo poo, but it also has a place in highly managed, standardized environments that don't give 2 shits about the newest Windows Features. I liken it to a long term extension of Windows 7

Current Branch and Current Branch for Business both require you to eventually install the new features which some people might not want.

For example, we have a couple call centers that need to have a very specific environment to work with our partners tools and programs, We'll be using Win10 LTSB for those computers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Caf posted:

With that said, enterprises should be working on Windows 10 if they are in the process of an OS upgrade or planning for one. If you're already working on Windows 8.1 then it really isn't much different and if you're still using Windows 7 then it doesn't make sense to put in the work and not go to the newest available. My company stayed on Windows 7 and we've been working on the upgrade to 10 since December. At this point we're basically waiting for 1511 to be declared business ready (or CBB or deferred channel or whatever the gently caress Microsoft is calling it today) and our new hardware to arrive before we start rolling out to regular users. It's not that hard.

CBB doesn't mean quite what you think it does, or at least Microsoft is treating it differently. When a branch becomes CBB, that doesn't mean Microsoft thinks it's Business Ready, they're just acknowledging that it's hard to validate a new feature branch and deploy it end to end every 4 months. So they support the second most recent branch for business customers, but as soon as a new branch (CB) comes out, you need to start validating it and deploying it.

This is the deployment schedule Microsoft expects you to be on:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hey guys I have a question and I know you'll be the ones to help me :) I'm soon going to start selling and implementing Microsoft EMS. I do however have to lab the hell out of it and study what I can about the solution and product. Is there a book or course you guys know about that covers the basics and then something closer to a deep dive? Thanks a lot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah good luck with that Microsoft themselves doesn't even know what the gently caress is going on with EMS.

Been dealing with EMS for almost 2 years and never got it rolled out company wide. Even thinking about it gets my blood pressure high

edit: Let me clarify, I think it would be fine for a SMB org, but I still don't think it's fully ready for Enterprise prime time.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 26, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Hey guys I have a question and I know you'll be the ones to help me :) I'm soon going to start selling and implementing Microsoft EMS. I do however have to lab the hell out of it and study what I can about the solution and product. Is there a book or course you guys know about that covers the basics and then something closer to a deep dive? Thanks a lot.

The problem with Microsoft's cloud stuff is that the courses are all outdated by the time they're released. I followed their MSP EMS training and it was basically the trainer going "well your instrutions would've worked last year but everything changed"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EMS is a Product line, no?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

EMS is a Product line, no?

It's a bundle of products you can bolt onto O365. Enterprise Mobility Suite. Azure AD Premium, Intune, Azure Rights Management and it looks like the Threat Analytic stuff went GA and includes licensing for Identity Manager.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
For azure, meet ups are useful. Other people figure this poo poo out and you can decide if you follow them or wait 6 months.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's a bundle of products you can bolt onto O365. Enterprise Mobility Suite. Azure AD Premium, Intune, Azure Rights Management and it looks like the Threat Analytic stuff went GA and includes licensing for Identity Manager.

Ah hah.

I've sort of struggled to find Microsoft-Centric User Groups. The only one that's active is one in Chicago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

orange sky posted:

I do however have to lab the hell out of it and study what I can about the solution and product. Is there a book or course you guys know about that covers the basics and then something closer to a deep dive? Thanks a lot.

I didn't touch on this part of your post. In the 2 years I've been dealing with EMS the best resources you can have are

1: A test environment. Try to get a test tenant that you can do whatever the hell you want with. I learn best by doing, and this was invaluable to me.

2: TechNet. I don't think anyone can fault Microsoft's TechNet for not being a great resource. Things get updated pretty quickly there.

3: There's a couple high level O365 consultant blogs out there. Odds are any specific questions you have, they've blogged about it.

Half the people at Microsoft I dealt with weren't up to speed, and things change quickly so by the time anything that was actually published it would be out of date.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Ah hah.

I've sort of struggled to find Microsoft-Centric User Groups. The only one that's active is one in Chicago.

The ones I've seen have mostly been PowerShell and SCCM user groups, but they tend to come back to general Microsoft technologies.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Microsoft is serious about Win10 support. Most of the initial quirks have been dealt with since release 1511, and they'll go out of their way to help you if you can identify a legitimate issue and open a case.

We opened a case regarding how to roam the Windows 10 start menu buttons with AppSense or UE-V and Microsoft's literal answer was: "We don't know either where the start menu settings are saved"

peak debt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 28, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

peak debt posted:

We opened a case regarding how to roam the Windows 10 start menu buttons with AppSense or UE-V and Microsoft's literal answer was: "We don't know either where the start menu settings are saved"

%localappdata%\TileDataLayer mostly

The files will stay in use after you log off, which complicates roaming, but that's where the tiles are stored.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

peak debt posted:

Get your TAM to escalate up the engineering chain. Unless you get lucky, the front-line guys are useless except for giving you instructions to gather diagnostics.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I didn't touch on this part of your post. In the 2 years I've been dealing with EMS the best resources you can have are

1: A test environment. Try to get a test tenant that you can do whatever the hell you want with. I learn best by doing, and this was invaluable to me.

2: TechNet. I don't think anyone can fault Microsoft's TechNet for not being a great resource. Things get updated pretty quickly there.

3: There's a couple high level O365 consultant blogs out there. Odds are any specific questions you have, they've blogged about it.

Half the people at Microsoft I dealt with weren't up to speed, and things change quickly so by the time anything that was actually published it would be out of date.

What blogs are you reading? On a completely unrelated note it surprised how many companies still host or colo Exchange for a few hundred users.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Get your TAM to escalate up the engineering chain. Unless you get lucky, the front-line guys are useless except for giving you instructions to gather diagnostics.

This and fill out the goddamn customer surveys. Microsoft's managements scrutinizes these seriously nearly to a fault.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We still have own Exchange server for 300 users or so. Works fine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any recommendations on (preferably free) SFTP server solutions on the windows side?

I've played around with the OpenSSH for Windows port that Microsoft has thrown out there, but it's obviously pretty rough around the edges.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure FileZilla Server can do SFTP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on (preferably free) SFTP server solutions on the windows side?

I've played around with the OpenSSH for Windows port that Microsoft has thrown out there, but it's obviously pretty rough around the edges.

Yup, Filezilla server. You could use FTPS on IIS too but you have to sacrifice a live human child to make it work.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure FileZilla Server can do SFTP.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, Filezilla server. You could use FTPS on IIS too but you have to sacrifice a live human child to make it work.

Sadly filezilla server can NOT do SFTP, although the client supports it just fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly filezilla server can NOT do SFTP, although the client supports it just fine.

drat, really? Maybe cygwin or something then?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, really? Maybe cygwin or something then?

Yeah, I was hoping for more of a "yeah we have this deployed across a bunch of hosts and it works great and is easy to manage" recommendation :(

I've certainly used cygwin, just wasn't sure if there was anything else good and free out there that I was missing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Question about machine account passwords on windows domains:
As I understand it, each workstation requests a reset every 30 days by default. If it can't contact the DC on that particular day, does the trust relationship fail at once or is there a grace period?

Asking due to issues with a lovely old SBS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This probably explains (better than I can) Everything you'll need to know about machine account passwords and AD

Happy Reading.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/02/15/machine-account-password-process-2/

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

bitterandtwisted posted:

Question about machine account passwords on windows domains:
As I understand it, each workstation requests a reset every 30 days by default. If it can't contact the DC on that particular day, does the trust relationship fail at once or is there a grace period?

Asking due to issues with a lovely old SBS
Computer account passwords don't expire, you should be fine (from that perspective anyway)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

My bad! I misremembered using FileZilla Server for FTPS.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

skipdogg posted:

This probably explains (better than I can) Everything you'll need to know about machine account passwords and AD

Happy Reading.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/02/15/machine-account-password-process-2/

Thanks, that's very informative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We still have own Exchange server for 300 users or so. Works fine.

Yes, it works fine but from a cost perspective it's often easier to just move mail into the cloud and pay a monthly fee per user as opposed to having everything On-Premise.