Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
medkit mimic deaths are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i see the boat

I see the profile of a car I think.

Not seeing a boat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm still getting the hang of this animated gif thing:

But inventory is working! I mean, the UI is a disaster, but the underlying code, which lets you pick up and drop items, stacks likes items, and properly transfers ownership when items are picked up and suchlike is working.

This turned out to be much harder than I expected and revealed a bunch of dramatic flaws in the way entity ownership was managed. Most of the time since the last update has been spent not so much working on inventory per se as redesigning the underlying engine to be a bit less poo poo.

It also now supports loading dredmor XML item definitions, at least to the point of "things you can pick up and carry around" -- there's no support for other item components as yet, and not much point in them until more systems are implemented (e.g. there's no way to implement HP-restoring items when HP doesn't exist yet).

Next on the table is probably fixing some UI bugs (you can see that the MFD goes away when I open the pickup menu and doesn't come back until I move, for example), and then some major rethinking of how player interactions with objects work in general that will lay the groundwork for making inventory (and item interaction in general) UIs that aren't terrible. I can do a big gamedev post on that if people are interested -- the tl;dr is that the game will have a set of verbs that can have keybindings associated with them, and entities will have an easy way to report which verbs they support. Then you can press (e.g.) "u" in any UI that lists items (not just inventory, but things like the items-on-floor screen) to use the hilighted item, or you can press "u" on the main screen to bring up a list of all nearby items that can be used so that you can select one.

This is cool.

Keep going :neckbeard:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How do I get in to the containment area in DoomRL? I don't think I can blow up any walls here. Does the micro launcher not break walls or something?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do I get in to the containment area in DoomRL? I don't think I can blow up any walls here. Does the micro launcher not break walls or something?

Blowing up walls is generally the way in, yeah. It must be the launcher.

You can also get in with random teleportation from a phase device, I think. And you'll be able to get the guaranteed missile launcher to get back out.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Mouse support getting real.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unormal posted:

Soothing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Unormal posted:

More of these.

MORE.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The micro launcher does break walls, but needs more shots to do so. Math:

Walls have HP 10, Armour 10. This means you need to do at least 11 damage to damage them at all, and at least 20 to destroy a wall in one hit.

The rocket launcher does 6d6 damage, so 6-36 with an average of 21. The micro launcher does 5d5, 5-25 with an average of 15.

What this means in practice is that the rocket launcher has a 99% chance to damage a wall at all, and a 63% chance to destroy it in a single shot. The micro launcher has a 92% chance to inflict damage, but only an 8% chance of destroying it instantly. So while you can get into The Wall/Containment Area using it, expect to spend significantly more ammo.

(The advantage of the Micro Launcher is that it fires faster, reloads much faster, and is more accurate than the RL. In exchange for that you get a smaller blast radius -- which can be good or bad, depending on circumstances -- and less damage, and thus less terrain-damaging ability as well.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also notable is that plasma weapons only apply half of armor, so you can bust walls with a plasma rifle and some patience. Conversely, shrapnel weapons (most shotguns) double armor and probably won't bust down a wall if you sat there all day firing. Just be careful around cover with plasma shotguns...

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 11, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Also notable is that plasma weapons only apply half of armor, so you can bust walls with a plasma rifle and some patience. Conversely, shrapnel weapons (most shotguns) double armor and probably won't bust down a wall if you sat there all day firing. Just be careful around cover with plasma shotguns...

Even if the wall had 0 armour, you couldn't destroy it with a shotgun; terrain features (except for doors, barrels, and some crates) only take damage from plasma, acid, or fire.

You can shoot down doors with a shotgun, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Which is why so many players have died at least once after accidentally destroying their own cover with a plasma shotgun. Shotgun spread with plasma damage and armour penetration is really good at turning demons into chutney, but it's also really good at turning narrow hallways into open fields. The first time you get your hands on that sweet plasma shotty, you start probing and corner-firing like you're used to, and suddenly a quarter of the level has no walls and you're fighting 4 Mancubi at once.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A dramatic battle shall commence!

Oh.

(it didn't even drop any loot either, what a rip off)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lmao! How the gently caress did you manage to get a crystal as a warlord, this is even better than the Blood Golem (albiet less lethal)

Did the tower vaults still have that LoS/lack of collision thing going on where the vault residents could just mosey out to say hello and you could sometimes see in?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

victrix posted:

lmao! How the gently caress did you manage to get a crystal as a warlord, this is even better than the Blood Golem (albiet less lethal)

Did the tower vaults still have that LoS/lack of collision thing going on where the vault residents could just mosey out to say hello and you could sometimes see in?

I died to the blizzard from it after killing the monster that made it on the same turn :v:

And yes, that's still an issue, as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I opened the middle room at Mt. Erebus and there's no lava elemental. What gives?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I opened the middle room at Mt. Erebus and there's no lava elemental. What gives?

Did you kill all the other enemies on the level? That's what triggers the lava elemental spawn, not opening up the middle (although there are enemies inside the middle that need to be killed, obviously).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

Did you kill all the other enemies on the level? That's what triggers the lava elemental spawn, not opening up the middle (although there are enemies inside the middle that need to be killed, obviously).

Oh boy, lost soul hunting on a featureless lava level.

Grabbed it and shoved a pair of chainswords down Carmack's throat. Naturally, I found loving Mjollnir in the lab on a strongman run.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 12, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
https://store.theindiebox.com/collections/frontpage/products/crypt-of-the-necrodancer-exclusive-singing-shopkeeper-plush

!!!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That is rad as hell.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Floodkiller posted:

A dramatic battle shall commence!

Oh.

(it didn't even drop any loot either, what a rip off)

:negative:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Can someone explain what's going on there?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Pladdicus posted:

The player lost a Dungeonmans to a Champion Cryoduchess, and she killed the player using one of the ice towers she can spawn. Since that monster dealt the killing blow (the ice tower), the game promoted the ice tower to boss of the dungeon, gave it a random critter name, but since they don't have a museum subtype it gets Powerful Default String! as a taunt message.

Also, towers shouldn't have bosses promoted when you get killed in them, they should always be run by warlords.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Strewn around the Dungeonmans land are giant towers, normally these towers have super buff Warlord bosses at the top in various themed flavors.

However, Dungeonmans also has a thing where if some random peon monster kills your hero in a dungeon, that random peon becomes the boss of the dungeon, getting suitably buffed in the process.

... except that shouldn't be happening in Warlord towers, and apparently it is, giving whatever peon gets promoted to bandit lord massive super boss buffs.

In this specific case it's even funnier, because he managed to get killed by an ice tower thingy, which is a special attack spawned by another mob. And that special attack got promoted to boss.

e: drat you madjack <:mad:>

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love that there's error handling for "got killed by a glorified piece of terrain and fought it as a boss".

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I hope you saw in the Dungeonmans thread that I'm still able to hit things normally with Anavrin as well. I guess I'm pretty good at breaking things through death.

Also, I took your advice on the fact that my biggest problem with enjoying the game is traplord dungeons (or all the chests in them with no autoexplore), so I just don't enter them anymore. I'm having a lot more fun with the game doing that as well!

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any thoughts on SanctuaryRPG?
I think it's a pretty cool game, I would say it's definitely rogue-light and a little grindy but all in all a pretty fun timekiller

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Deargodalion posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on SanctuaryRPG?
The dev is literally the worst spammer in the industry and even started a PR business a couple years back (Black Shell Media) which they use to take advantage of new indie devs by taking 30% of their profit for doing nothing but annoying everyone with their spambot network.

In the most recent debacle, one of their latest victims called them out on it in public, then immediately retreated when Black Shell threatened a lawsuit. Here's an article that didn't mention them by name so you can still find it on the web...

So this is all meta to the original question, but please don't support them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

When I was young I wanted to make a big rpg or an mmo

A little bit older and I wanted to make an fps or an rts

Then an fps mod

A bit older and I wanted to make a roguelike

Then a small slice of a roguelike

Now I want to make a match 3 puzzle game in Unity

I figure if I wait another ~5 years I should be down to 'vaguely interested in making an android tic tac toe app'

(in theory I just want to get familiar with unity so I can do the roguelike thing again with a firmer platform, in practice I think I'm gradually adjusting my expectations to match my ability :v:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

victrix posted:

(in theory I just want to get familiar with unity so I can do the roguelike thing again with a firmer platform, in practice I think I'm gradually adjusting my expectations to match my ability :v:)
This is ironically, probably a good thing, actually. One of the most often repeated bits of advice for indie game devs is start small. You will learn way more by making and completing A Thing, no matter how small or how basic or how bad, then you will by swinging for the fences and then petering out on making The Thing.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone considered this might be the most civil and generous thread on all of sa?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Isaac posted:

Has anyone considered this might be the most civil and generous thread on all of sa?

Roguelikes are so cruel by design, it only seems right to support each other as we make and play them.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Roguelikes are so cruel by design, it only seems right to support each other as we make and play them.

Lol i think youre onto something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

victrix posted:

When I was young I wanted to make a big rpg or an mmo

A little bit older and I wanted to make an fps or an rts

Then an fps mod

A bit older and I wanted to make a roguelike

Then a small slice of a roguelike

Now I want to make a match 3 puzzle game in Unity

I figure if I wait another ~5 years I should be down to 'vaguely interested in making an android tic tac toe app'

You could do like me, and make your Rogue-Like in RPG Maker, it's way easier than Unity for what you want. If you can't figure out RPG Maker then you should just give up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The scale of "ease of creation" to "depth/flexibility/usefulness in the 'real world'" goes something like:

RPG Maker -> GameMaker (drag-n-drop only) -> GameMaker (with scripting/GameMakerLanguage) -> Unity -> :airquote: Real Coding :airquote:

With the difference in depth/flexibility between Unity and :airquote: Real Coding :airquote: being mostly academic for a newcomer.

Edit Though be advised that if you ever decide to go public, default RPG Maker assets carry with them a massive stigma of "cheap POS made by an idiot" until very clearly proven otherwise. (Sturgeon's Law is a bitch.) So, if you ever want to sell one of your games, you'll have to either graduate to another engine, or get very good at making your RPG Maker games not LOOK like RPG Maker games.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 13, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Kyzrati posted:

The dev is literally the worst spammer in the industry and even started a PR business a couple years back (Black Shell Media) which they use to take advantage of new indie devs by taking 30% of their profit for doing nothing but annoying everyone with their spambot network.

In the most recent debacle, one of their latest victims called them out on it in public, then immediately retreated when Black Shell threatened a lawsuit. Here's an article that didn't mention them by name so you can still find it on the web...

So this is all meta to the original question, but please don't support them.

I've never tried their game but they do seem to be pretty crazy. I get spam from them trying to publish every game jam I do and like absolutely anything I've posted on tig.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Sanctuary game itself peters out to "ironic" grind and instakills not that far into it alongside some trite repetition---they wanted The Bullet Points and marketed hype to carry the day while then failing to follow up on anything beyond the Black Edition launch in the first place as the game got released for real. Had they actually followed up on it in earnest, the core of the core notion to the project would've probably actually turned out to be something fairly novel, but...yeah.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

The scale of "ease of creation" to "depth/flexibility/usefulness in the 'real world'" goes something like:

RPG Maker -> GameMaker (drag-n-drop only) -> GameMaker (with scripting/GameMakerLanguage) -> Unity -> :airquote: Real Coding :airquote:

With the difference in depth/flexibility between Unity and :airquote: Real Coding :airquote: being mostly academic for a newcomer.

Edit Though be advised that if you ever decide to go public, default RPG Maker assets carry with them a massive stigma of "cheap POS made by an idiot" until very clearly proven otherwise. (Sturgeon's Law is a bitch.) So, if you ever want to sell one of your games, you'll have to either graduate to another engine, or get very good at making your RPG Maker games not LOOK like RPG Maker games.

That scale isn't as linear as you might think. The newest RPG Maker is done entirely in HTML 5 and Javascript, and they encourage you to "go under the hood" and mess with the underlying code. I would say RPG Maker is just as flexible as Gamemaker (with scripting) if you are making something that vaguely resembles and RPG (moving a character around a 2D plane, some statistics, etc). Of course I will admit that I am much more familiar with RPG Maker than Game Maker (I just started learning game maker). A simple rogue-like engine would take about 2 min worth or work to make (I know because I made one), you just need to right combination of expansion scripts

I'm not planning to sell my game, but I'm defiantly not going to use the default graphics either. I'm a sprite ripping kind of guy, I like to steal my assets from NES games. Gives them an "indy retro" feel :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Has there ever been a board game or anything of that sort (solo or otherwise), that really properly captures the feel of a roguelike? I can't really remember any games that even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has there ever been a board game or anything of that sort (solo or otherwise), that really properly captures the feel of a roguelike? I can't really remember any games that even try.

The Curious Expedition is basically Mage Knight. I would say Make Knight is closest, with maybe chess puzzles coming in second.

One problem is "permanent death" is a really bad board game mechanic.