Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ever since Inspiring Cry got good it's really hard to justify bringing a Jester, which sucks because his character art is so good.

Nakar posted:

Giving up a character slot for a couple trinket slots doesn't strike me as a good trade at all. You could also get the same benefit from a Man-at-Arms, minus the +SPD from the Jester's buff, plus better camp skill buffs and a stun and a guard and better damage and more HP.

Jester bleeds need to be significantly stronger for their damage output to be good. It'd still be bad on a single turn burn basis but the better stacking might make them better in sustained fights, which also suits their buffs and debuffs. Or give them the Bleed chaser effect that already exists in the files on some of their other abilities, so they do +50% DMG to bleeding things.

Yeah their bleed attacks REALLY need a buff. A maxed-out Jester's Slice Off attack (the strong one!) will be dealing 5-9 damage against 0 PROT enemies in a champion level dungeon, and that level of damage cuts no kind of mustard at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

Node posted:

:salute:

That's...special. Does any old character get that if they're chosen? I still haven't gotten around to doing the last mission.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Still trying to figure out how I want my antiquarian in a group. I typically want a healer and three damage dealers, either markers and picking monsters apart, or one damage overtime with two bruisers.

I like this update, I was actually wondering before this update if an ancestral item exchanger was a good idea, and It looks like it was already suggested and implemented.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Papal Infallibility posted:

That's...special. Does any old character get that if they're chosen? I still haven't gotten around to doing the last mission.

Yeah. Looks like they also get special headstones if they bite it elsewhere in the Darkest Dungeon. Really... unfortunate ones.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
First run after update, GR gets critted 3 times in a row and dies. I end up getting a ton of portraits, 1x ancestral (a second pistol) and 1x very rare (a second crescendo box) and a ton of gold. Retreat and I have none of them... It's like my inventory was empty when I returned except for the food and stuff I took in when I started. WTF.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Just bought this game and it's kicking my rear end! I really hate the stress system, but I'm learning how to deal with it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Vincent posted:

Just bought this game and it's kicking my rear end! I really hate the stress system, but I'm learning how to deal with it.

Ruins is a relatively high-stress area, mostly because nothing there really has special attacks on Apprentice. I was shocked how much less stress I had to deal with once I started doing Weald/Warrens.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It stops being a huge deal when you expand your roster too

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The crusader is by far the least exciting class; they're always just a front row filler slot for me but man they just work. They'll never hit as hard as a grave robber or take as much abuse as a MaA but they'll hit things hard, get hit back, and make it out in one piece (usually)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man, the DD2 Double Templar fight is no joke. At least my casualties kinda deserved it (Bounty Hunter failed an uppercut to knock the Impaler out of Stinger Stab range, then ate a Stinger Stab crit, Occultist's first three heals in the fight were for 2, 0, 2). Now the question is whether to grind up a Plague Doctor for DD3 since my only level 6 one has Never Again from the first one or whether to roll with a different method of controlling the white cell stalk.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The crusader is by far the least exciting class; they're always just a front row filler slot for me but man they just work. They'll never hit as hard as a grave robber or take as much abuse as a MaA but they'll hit things hard, get hit back, and make it out in one piece (usually)

Unless I can abuse the bonus Smite damage to unholy stuff in the Ruins or doing the Crew fight, I've tended toward slotting in Hellions or Lepers in parties where I'd usually have a Crusader. Hellions are so fun, they might actually have displaced Plague Doctor as my favorite class.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I found DD3 controllable with just a BH for stuns. Also had an Arbalest so I could often just shoot the stalk.

Really, it isn't much of a lockdown-centric run. The enemies are not bleed and stress motherfuckers like the first two and tend to have low health, and then the cysts have high health. So lots of damage and just keep killing the stalks.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

I found DD3 controllable with just a BH for stuns. Also had an Arbalest so I could often just shoot the stalk.

Really, it isn't much of a lockdown-centric run. The enemies are not bleed and stress motherfuckers like the first two and tend to have low health, and then the cysts have high health. So lots of damage and just keep killing the stalks.

Thanks, I went heavy DPS with Grave Robber/Occultist/Abomination/Hellion, during both Cyst battles each stalk only got one move off. Abyssal Artillery with Eldritch Killing Incense is pretty great.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I brought an Abomination with +Virtue items to DD2 as my non-torch guy figuring I'd take a chance on a virtuous Abom and see how it shook out.

He never got over 40 Stress or so and ripped everything to shreds with no trinket boosts (since all he had were +Virtue ones). They're pretty good in the endgame.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So, I finished the game and made a NG+ file and uh, that first Curio on the tutorial map :stare: Are there any other changes?

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 14, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Azran posted:

So, I finished the game and made a NG+ file and uh, that first Curio on the tutorial map :stare: Are there any other changes?

Aside from gameplay tweaks I'm pretty sure that curio is literally the only difference.

Its an endless cycle after all!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I fought the final boss with a Musketeer, Houndmaster, Hellion and lvl5 Grave Robber. First victim of the final stage was the Musketeer, and I was planning to let the Hellion and the Grave Robber finish the job but I ended up killing the GR when I saw the Houndmaster says if you hover over him. :smith:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nakar posted:

I brought an Abomination with +Virtue items to DD2 as my non-torch guy figuring I'd take a chance on a virtuous Abom and see how it shook out.

He never got over 40 Stress or so and ripped everything to shreds with no trinket boosts (since all he had were +Virtue ones). They're pretty good in the endgame.

I got an Abomination up to level 6, but I never ended up finding room for him in a Darkest Dungeon party because the rest of my lineup included two Crusaders, a Leper and three Vestals. Whoops.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I am a much happier man ever since I erased the Abomination party restrictions from the game :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Abomination's restrictions aren't even that bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They are if you like those classes

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Not being able to use one of the two classes that can provide enough healing for a party on their own is pretty huge, especially early game when you might not get an Occultist for a while.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

good thing youll kill anything before it can hurt you with an abom

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The Abomination self-heal is actually pretty strong, I was running a pair of them with a Hellion and a Grave Robber and I massively overprovisioned on food because I thought noheals was gonna be a big issue. Nope, as it turns out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
2 abominations, a hellion, and a houndmaster is a good amount of self heal. The only real weak link is the hellion, and her self heal covers blight/bleed and bringing extra food can usually make up the difference. Also, that team kills stuff fast.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I'm loving this game, but jesus christ certain restrictions and classes are infuriating. Certain abilities seem deliberately gimped, like Holy Lance not even targeting size 2 monsters if they are by themselves in the front.

I also don't understand the love for leper, he's a garbage character that I guess does good damage to the front rows with 0 utility. This is a game where you almost always want to target the back row first, and he can't even stun, and god help you if he gets shuffled in the back. Man at Arms, Hellion, and Crusader all seem to have a niche as tanks, can't figure why I would ever want to use a leper other than to make things more difficult for myself.

I'm glad they at least buffed the highwayman, he's still not as good as the graverobber, but he's no longer just a worse version. Jester is also bad and dumb, Houndmaster is good and smart.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a Leper has gotten a Crit that saved my rear end and won a boss battle at the last possible moment at least 5 times in this game, keep hatin' haters. He's a tank that I just use to soak up damage, clear corpses, and sometimes debuff enemy damage with Intimidate. I just put accuracy buffs on him now since he was buffed in damage. The trick with Lepers is taking someone like a G-Robber, Houndman, or Arbalest too since Leper's can't do poo poo past the first 2 ranks.

I like using Highwayman just as much as G-Robber. One of them has better accuracy and dodge and Blight but less HP, the other has better damage buffs and bleeds and a larger HP pool. Maybe it's just me but doing tracking shot and then pistol poo poo works pretty well for me. Also starting a battle with one in front, using Point Blank right off the bat, then using his duelist stuff to keep up the pace.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
AoE and back row stuns is the trick with a Leper. Hew hits two enemies like other heroes hit one, so he makes up for the poor direct damage of something like a Plague Doctor, and she controls the stress mobs and clears corpses so the Leper one-shots them the next turn. If a front row damager hits him he doesn't need a healer to babysit him because he has a mountain of HP and a self-heal.

He has noticeable position and utility weaknesses because he is the best at doing damage and taking it. Only the Abomination is comparable in both, and gets more utility due to having a riskier gimmick and class restrictions.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nakar posted:

AoE and back row stuns is the trick with a Leper. Hew hits two enemies like other heroes hit one, so he makes up for the poor direct damage of something like a Plague Doctor, and she controls the stress mobs and clears corpses so the Leper one-shots them the next turn. If a front row damager hits him he doesn't need a healer to babysit him because he has a mountain of HP and a self-heal.

He has noticeable position and utility weaknesses because he is the best at doing damage and taking it. Only the Abomination is comparable in both, and gets more utility due to having a riskier gimmick and class restrictions.

Plague Doctors are great partners for Lepers. You can go with something like Occultist/Doc/Hellion/Leper for some really cool and strong Leper play, too. Occultist is great for pulling people into Chop territory, plus his non-team heal isn't such a big deal when you can use his heal instead on the others; this is even better since Leper is a tank with a self heal and Hellion can debuff any bleeds with Adrenal Rush. And, if you need more backrow stress, switch Hellion places with Leper for Iron Swan. You could even just use Breakthrough to move up and finish off anyone the Doctor has softened up with Blight.

Of course you could also just use Houndmaster for everything, too. Is there really any downside to Houndmaster other than slightly average HP and defense, and not usually hitting for more than like 8 damage? I suppose ranks of totally Bleed-immune enemies, but that might be it.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 14, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Their damage is not good at all without a mark and a biscuit. They are kind of fragile if not stacking Dodge and spamming Guard Dog. Cry Havoc is a lot less consistent than the Jester and Crusader stress heals.

The damage is the big issue. Houndmasters are way worse at damage than people think and overreliance on them leads to situations where people create Stun-dependent semi-stall teams because they take damage/stress and have to burn it off with healing. While that's a viable way to play, smash-and-grab teams with good average DPT don't take that damage/stress and don't need multiple Stun trinkets because they're not chain-stunning anything (because it's dead).

EDIT: To use your example (sorta), the Plague Doctor/Occultist/Leper/Hellion arrangement isn't improved by a Houndmaster. He doesn't stun as well as the PD and he doesn't allow for the same damage concentration you get by having an Occultist there. For example, depending on the enemy, you can have the PD stun the back and the Hellion/Occultist kill one tough frontliner while the Leper Chops the other, or you can have the Leper Hew and possibly kill one for the Hellion to finish off, or you can Abyssal Artillery the back and have the Hellion finish something off with Iron Swan/If It Bleeds while the Leper Hews the front to set them up to be finished off, or she can use Breakthrough to finish things that got Hewed off depending on how much HP Hew leaves them with. If you need a second turn mass stun, Yawp can be slotted, or you can slot Adrenaline Rush and now half the party can burn off DoTs and the Occultist isn't needing to heal all the time. Lots of approaches here.

All a HM really adds that this party can't do is a guard and stress healing, but he lowers the party's damage output to the point it might need it. He also helps Scouting which admittedly is something a Leper likes, but there are plenty of ways to avoid being surprised.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He makes all variants of the Flesh trivial, and that justifies his existence.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

He makes all variants of the Flesh trivial, and that justifies his existence.

And also the Hag and the Brigand Cannon.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Houndmaster absolutely wrecks beasts, so that also adds to his strengths in the Warrens where every pig enemy is considered a beast. He also works very well in the darkest dungeon templar fights because he can overclock his damage severely with marks, biscuits and the templars' beast classification. His stun is also one of the best stuns in the game, with his cudgel weight trinket and a stun amulet he can get over 200% stun chance for multiple turn lockdowns. He can also do a lot of good stuff in any rank in the party so he is fairly good in shuffle parties or when surprised.

He is perfect for any marking based party.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 14, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nakar posted:

Their damage is not good at all without a mark and a biscuit. They are kind of fragile if not stacking Dodge and spamming Guard Dog. Cry Havoc is a lot less consistent than the Jester and Crusader stress heals.

The damage is the big issue. Houndmasters are way worse at damage than people think and overreliance on them leads to situations where people create Stun-dependent semi-stall teams because they take damage/stress and have to burn it off with healing. While that's a viable way to play, smash-and-grab teams with good average DPT don't take that damage/stress and don't need multiple Stun trinkets because they're not chain-stunning anything (because it's dead).

Yeah I think this is what I had in mind in terms of damage sometimes needing to be better, good point on needing the marks/doggie treats. I forget sometimes how loving good Yawp is for immediately locking up powerful frontliners.

He is godlike and what I would consider a must-slot for those Boss Flesh battles, though, no question. Does just as great against the cannon dudes--though for that one, I usually use an Arbalest who camped with a Restring buff and completely lock down the brigands since her damage is way higher.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Spiked Collar cranks up Houndmaster damage pretty solidly, especially if you can run a second damage trinket along with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he has a good dog and he, himself is a cool dude.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So, I found out that you only get the broken pew loot from beating the Prophet if you actually destroyed the pews during the fight.

...and I only found this out because the first time I brought a party who all had a way to reach the Prophet without destroying the pews first was the Champion version :negative:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Houndmaster also has excellent de-stressing camp skills if you didn't bring someone like a MaA for buffs

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Houndmaster is great at basically everything that isn't direct damage or healing. Guarding, dodge-tanking, marking, scouting, stunning, de-stressing...he can even put out good damage in a pinch when you really need it. I only managed to get one dogsman into champion level dungeons because all of the others were cursed, but he really quickly became my MVP once I started using his guard. There are a lot of encounters where you can wipe out or disable the back row, leaving enemies who will only ever attack your frontlines. Stick a houndmaster in position 2 and have him guard the front, and you dodge almost everything coming your way. He can also dodge really nasty attacks like Into The Pot, the drowned crew anchor, and treebranch smackdown. And he fucks up the Flesh. And he can prevent night ambushes. God bless you, Man And Dog.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
He's really good, he just needs help with damage. Put him in a mark party and he's in great shape. HM + BH might as well be cheating in the Warrens, especially if you get someone to mark before they both go. Neither gives a poo poo about being shuffled and both have high-% stuns and good Scouting.

Some people just think he can do everything perfectly. He can't, at least not by himself. But he also doesn't suck at anything, so he has that going for him, because he can do something in any position. He's also very good against bosses because circumstances work in his favor: He wants a mark and to pop a biscuit, and a long Boss fight is the ideal time to do both, plus he gets bleeding which is most effective in a long fight, and his best pal is a dude who loves kicking the poo poo out of large enemies, which many bosses are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I love my Hound Masters but for some reason they always eat 60%+ of all the back row stress enemies' attacks, no matter who they're with or where they are in formation. I have no idea why.