Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Fantasy characters with a last name are always off-putting to me, for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
tyler "drizzit in da hizzit" dourden

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

tyler "drizzit in da hizzit" dourden

sorry for this post

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't believe they actually made abdel Adrian the canon bhaalspawn

does this mean jaheira ripping her blouse off because of spiders is canon? And that khalid is a lecherous scumbag?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The novels are canon*, so yes.

*And said canon can take a long walk off a short pier. My personal theory is that the novels are in-universe books written by Abdel, who is just some opportunistic survivor of Amelyssan's purge who impersonated the hero of Baldur's Gate years after everyone had forgotten his/her name. The actual canon protagonist and outcome is whatever the gently caress you want it to be.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oh god I had no idea there was a novel. Very excited to read it. Very excited to hate on it.

Edit: got it for $4.23 on amazon, very excited.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 11, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

The novels are canon*, so yes.

*And said canon can take a long walk off a short pier. My personal theory is that the novels are in-universe books written by Abdel, who is just some opportunistic survivor of Amelyssan's purge who impersonated the hero of Baldur's Gate years after everyone had forgotten his/her name. The actual canon protagonist and outcome is whatever the gently caress you want it to be.

Yeah that's not how canon works in the Realms. gently caress off.

@bongwizzard: If you don't like last names the Realms may not be the place for you then. They're home to Elminster Aumar aka Elminster of Shadowdale aka Elminster of Mystra aka Elminster the Sage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My memories of FR stuff is all the used 1st ED stuff I had as a teen and I am increasingly aware that I want to keep it that way. I am that thinking of rebuying a bunch of the supplements, mainly for the amazing maps. I was and am a map freak and and spent hours just laying in my bed pouring over them, imagination racing. Imho all rpg setting books should be 80% maps, detailed and vague, full color and sketches, real and fake, gimme all dem maps.

God, I just remembered this thing I would do where I would cut up yellow craft paper, then weave it back together, draw maps on them, and like burn holes and poo poo to age them, all as player handouts for 15yo dudes who just wanted to kill orcs and get loot.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

What were you expecting was going to happen when you imported a level 8 character into BG1? :v:

That the game would bust him down to level 1?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Arivia posted:

Yeah that's not how canon works in the Realms. gently caress off.

@bongwizzard: If you don't like last names the Realms may not be the place for you then. They're home to Elminster Aumar aka Elminster of Shadowdale aka Elminster of Mystra aka Elminster the Sage.

Fuckin lol get a load of this guy

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

It doesn't do that, same way it won't bust down your level 6 or whatever character you just finished BG1 with when you export/reimport him so you can replay the game and reach cap. :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

it is weird to expect that but i guess if you're playing them for the first time recently or gotten back into it after many many years of playing modern poo poo it's hard not to expect. then again most games have new game plus these days and it's basically almost the same. basically.

fun fact, you can import original 90's bg characters into the EE's though. same with your original IWD characters but i think the IWD EE does some preventing of that.

you can also copy over your original bg2 save games and have them work fine in bg2 EE which is pretty cool. mods get hosed up though of course. i haven't tried the reverse but i expect it to be similar just with the new content getting treated as missing mods and broken strings.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah, this would be my first time playing it. I just hosed around with it a bit, I'm not going to start in earnest until I complete Pillars of Eternity (I'm in the final dungeon).

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

until I complete Pillars of Eternity (I'm in the final dungeon).
I wish that game would have had gated combat. I just assumed that when I ran into really hard encounters I was supposed to figure them out and beat them, so I did. I ended up doing the final dungeon before I did any quests in the second city. Kind of pointless in terms of progression to go on and do the rest of the game when you've already beat the bonus dungeon.

I should probably play it again with a different class and do the game in order.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It looks like achievements were added to Baldur's Gate EE 1 & 2 on Steam recently (I don't recall seeing them before), but looking at the global achievements stats, nobody's earned any of them. Are they bugged or something?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Oh god I had no idea there was a novel. Very excited to read it. Very excited to hate on it.

Edit: got it for $4.23 on amazon, very excited.

As someone who read the entire series in my youth, you have my condolences.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

It looks like achievements were added to Baldur's Gate EE 1 & 2 on Steam recently (I don't recall seeing them before), but looking at the global achievements stats, nobody's earned any of them. Are they bugged or something?

from what I understand they've been activated steam-side but the flags to trigger them haven't been patched into the game yet

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

i have 3 of them. they are only working with the 2.0 patch and it's not out yet cept for the public beta, the codes are one the last page if you want them. i would wait, unless you really wanna see the SoD tech "improvements" or gently caress around with the shaman class.

i got two when i loaded a savegame i made years ago when ee first came out, for killing carbos and shank in candlekeep and for siding with mercs against silkie. then i loaded my black pits save and got hit by bug which turned on Story mode which puts everyones str up to 25, so i got the godlike "raise a stat to 25" achievement. :shrug:

they are aiming for the patch to be out very soon, before SoD is released.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 12, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I got the "leave Candlekeep" achievement for starting the tutorial. Maybe it's because I imported my BG2 character.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You should get an achievement for dying to Carbos or Shank, not for killing them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If I tell my starting party members that I created to leave to make room for new ones, can I get them back later?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

If I tell my starting party members that I created to leave to make room for new ones, can I get them back later?

yeah by default in the first game they'll just stand around eternally in the place where you left them with the exception of the new dudes from the ee, who go to the friendly arm inn

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So I guess I should go to the Friendly Arm Inn to dump off two of my characters before picking up those two weirdos on the road because I dislike them immediately (lol Chaotic Evil, that necromancer and I are going to have problems) and I will probably throw them out and get my roll-your-own characters back as soon as I do their quest.

Also Pillars of Eternity portraits work perfectly in Baldur's Gate so I made Thaos my cleric. :getin:

Is there a mod that replaces that stupid Ye Olde Calligraphie font with something smaller and more legible?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Party members that are unhappy with your reputation will leave permanently if you remove them from the party, which can be annoying. As is the reputation system in its entirety, really.

Luckily, it's the easiest thing to mod; just one .2da file needs to be changed, although I don't remember what it's called.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
You can also install the G3 tweak pack and change party reputation behaviour, among many other things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wizard Styles posted:

You should get an achievement for dying to Carbos or Shank, not for killing them.

Nah you should get an achievement for dying to your own Wild Magic that ends up summoning a Death Tyrant or something :v:

e; Now that I mention it I think I remember reading about something almost exactly like that in the Hardcore BG LP thread.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mister Adequate posted:

Nah you should get an achievement for dying to your own Wild Magic that ends up summoning a Death Tyrant or something :v:
There should also be one for getting the "lose most of your gold" surge when you're at over 50k.

All achievements should involve silly poo poo. You killed Kangaxx? Yeah, cool, big deal, but did you pickpocket him for a second ring? Because that's an achievement.

e: Cat Burglar achievement for letting your familiar steal wands and potions from temporary party members in Candlekeep.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 12, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Wizard Styles posted:

You killed Kangaxx? Yeah, cool, big deal, but did you pickpocket him for a second ring? Because that's an achievement.
jfc, did the EE not put in the fix for that? It's been around since Baldurdash.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
can you switch from a bow to sword&board with one click yet?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

can you switch from a bow to sword&board with one click yet?

oh poo poo yeah, that's in the new patch but i forgot to try it out.

edit: there are a ton of little things the new patch does, you now see town and wilderness names on always on the map along with the hours to travel without having to tab over them.
you can now esc out of the starting cutscene in bg2, not sure if it's all cutscenes yet but they are working on it.
all the bg1 water titles now use bg2's water tiles.
you dont need to copy save games over to bg2 to continue the character, game does it for you.
the switch back the original way of the weapons you get from the genie and the cambion, the weapon from the genie has a new icon presumably because it's part of SoD.
they finally "fix" ioun stones giving you protection from critical hits like all helmets do.
npcs now come close to matching your level like those mods for the original.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 13, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Somehow this is the one thing I'm legit excited about. Now if they could somehow add scripts for prebuffing/summoning queues everything would be good.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

jfc, did the EE not put in the fix for that? It's been around since Baldurdash.
I hadn't tried it in the EEs so I didn't know either, but it's fixed. Regrettably.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
How are you supposed to raise a stat to 25 without cheating? Unless this includes temporary buffs, in which case the achievement is trivial to get.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I don't think inherent 25s are possible. 24 Wisdom is as high as a stat can get as far as I know, mostly thanks to the three books in BG1, unless they added some permanent bonuses.
e: 24 Strength is also possible for a Half-Orc, I think, but again, not 25.

So yeah, this is probably the "drink two Potions of Genius" cheevo.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 13, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
18 WIS, +3 BG Tomes, +1 Lum the Mad, +1 Hell Trial, +1 Deck of Many Things, +1 Silver Ioun Stone?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What is the typical goon opinion of the removing identification option in BG2 Tweaks? I know it's technically cheating but it seems like removing pointless busywork from what should be a reward (finding a cool item).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
^ Identifying is so trivial in BG2 that I don't see the point in removing it. It's such a nonissue.

The ioun stone doesn't raise your base score though, it's a permanent buff until removed. Otherwise you could just equip crom faeyr on anyone for the cheevo.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
There's also 24 constitution for evil Dragon Disciples

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Suspicious posted:

How are you supposed to raise a stat to 25 without cheating? Unless this includes temporary buffs, in which case the achievement is trivial to get.

I guess you could also run one character through BG1 multiple times for all the stat books. Although if you are going to do that you might as well edit the character file.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Woolie Wool posted:

What is the typical goon opinion of the removing identification option in BG2 Tweaks? I know it's technically cheating but it seems like removing pointless busywork from what should be a reward (finding a cool item).

I do it because I've played through the game so many times I know what everything is anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

I remove it because it's a pain in the rear end when you have to re-memorize spells after a fight when you still have a ton of damage spells left.