Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Liefeld came up with Deadpool, so he's not all bad. He just needs to learn some basic human anatomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Nah, Deadpool was originally a grim and gritty copy of Deathstroke. It wasn't until later writers made him funny that Deadpool was decent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh well, I guess Liefeld is just poo poo, then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CuwiKhons posted:

Nah, Deadpool was originally a grim and gritty copy of Deathstroke. It wasn't until later writers made him funny that Deadpool was decent.

Wasn't there an issue of Batman/Superman where a guy dressed like Deathstroke was trying to kill bruce/Clark on a cruise ship, and kept breaking the fourth wall and talking to the narrator, but when someone asked him his name he only got as far as "Dea" before he was interrupted?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kurieg posted:

Wasn't there an issue of Batman/Superman where a guy dressed like Deathstroke was trying to kill bruce/Clark on a cruise ship, and kept breaking the fourth wall and talking to the narrator, but when someone asked him his name he only got as far as "Dea" before he was interrupted?

There was, yes. I think at one point Deathstroke stabs him in the brain with a giant fork or something (maybe a spatula?). He popped in from an alternate dimension.

I love how Deadpool is even making fun of Deathstroke's name using a stupid joke:

"Where do you do the Death Stroke?

In the Dead Pool" :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kurieg posted:

Holy Terror is basically an object lesson that Frank Miller is a gigantic racist and doesn't understand why Dark Knight Returns or Sin City were good. I'm still amazed that they're releasing a third dark knight series. I am not, however, surprised that it's looking to be super racist.

Hey, here's something:

Miller's already planning on a fourth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, here's something:

Miller's already planning on a fourth.

What's left? Batman ascends to godhood and spends 8 issues beating up/making GBS threads on the other superheroes while ranting about how awesome he is and how it's okay to kill people who aren't Americans?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Kurieg posted:

What's left? Batman ascends to godhood and spends 8 issues beating up/making GBS threads on the other superheroes while ranting about how awesome he is and how it's okay to kill people who aren't Americans?

"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot" says Batman as he dons his brand new hood, white and pointed. "We shall be the ghosts they fear."

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
When you ask the question "why does WRITER/ARTIST still get work?" the answer is usually "star power" or "because they reliably turn in stuff every month". With people like Greg Land it's the latter, Frank Miller the former. Any comics exec who says they would not jump to have WRITER on the character they defined is LYING.

Frank Miller could poo poo on a paper, fold it, call it The Dark Knight Fixer-Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal Strikes Again and not only would someone publish it, it would sell well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hatter's sidequest was fun. I like all the callbacks. There probably should've been an Origins segment since Hatter was in that game, but I also don't mind if they ignore it as much as possible. The only downside to the sidequest was that it's so short. That becomes a pattern with the Season of Infamy stuff as we'll soon see.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SIGSEGV posted:

"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot" says Batman as he dons his brand new hood, white and pointed. "We shall be the ghosts they fear."

I can't see Frank Miller writing that because it won't be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Batman is ready to make America great again.

Dark Knight IV: Election Year

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

I can't see Frank Miller writing that because it won't be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

I imagine this and the Circe episode arose fully formed whenever the appropriate writers found out that Kevin Conroy has had musical training.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Batman is ready to make America great again.

Dark Knight IV: Election Year

An entire political party of Jokers and I'll give you three guess which one it is!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aces High posted:

It's shwarbarge. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
We've been down this road before.

I really wanted this to be a season of infamy DLC.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

We've been down this road before.

I really wanted this to be a season of infamy DLC.
I'd vote for Penguin. The picture argument is solid gold.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 12, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Back in business, back on the main story!

Back On The Trail/Polsy

New character(s): Catwoman

New stories: Showtime, On The Prowl

Race 8: 2016 - Waynetech Loop/Polsy

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Thanks for taking us through your gadget purchases, scruffy.

If you could be kind enough to just go through your upgrades periodically, that would be nice, if you don't mind.

I dislike it when LPers do their upgrades off-screen and never bother to keep the audience updated about their selections. :argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Boy I sure do love non-lethal explosives.
e: That whole Riddler sequence is rather annoying, to be honest. Catwoman is still stupid and WHY DOESN'T SHE ZIP UP HER GODDAMN SHIRT but at least you aren't stuck playing her on the main map this time around.
On the plus side, we're introduced to the riddlerbots which, while holding a couple of stupid gimmicks, are also responsible for some of the best lines in the game. I really like this Riddler.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 12, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"Dese days we got more rights than regular people"

Are you sure Frank Millar wasn't involved in this?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

If you could be kind enough to just go through your upgrades periodically, that would be nice, if you don't mind.

I'll be upgrading/showing my upgrades every 2-3 videos from here on. Apparently people are pretty up-in-arms about me CUTTING OUT THESE THINGS. Youtube people got pretty upset I guess I even got a dislike.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Back in business, back on the main story!

Back On The Trail/Polsy

New character(s): Catwoman

New stories: Showtime, On The Prowl

Race 8: 2016 - Waynetech Loop/Polsy

So hey, here's the terrible part of this game; Catwoman is great and still extremely fun to play as, but the game decides to shove her in a closet and have batman rescue her. This is emblematic of Arkham Knight's big problem of treating its female characters like garbage and using them only to spur batman to act.

Crabtree posted:

"Dese days we got more rights than regular people"

Are you sure Frank Millar wasn't involved in this?

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That is one of the neat things about this game, the enemies in predator segments attempting to adapt to your tactics.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

24 people from the same glass eye medical trial were attacked by sharks in North Gotham? Did they list that on the side effects?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

So hey, here's the terrible part of this game; Catwoman is great and still extremely fun to play as, but the game decides to shove her in a closet and have batman rescue her. This is emblematic of Arkham Knight's big problem of treating its female characters like garbage and using them only to spur batman to act.
Is she? I admit I haven't really played with the other characters that much but they all seem to have way, way less depth than Batman and Catwoman's gadgets are literally the same as the Bat's.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Bruceski posted:

24 people from the same glass eye medical trial were attacked by sharks in North Gotham? Did they list that on the side effects?

Really any combination of 2 of the things on most of these should leave you with one option. How many of the missing people even have a glass eye let alone one from a limited trial or a heart shaped birthmark the size of your hand?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Glass eyes and titanium pins, fair enough, they're uncommon but sure, I could buy that you'd need to narrow down the list if those were involved. Shark attacks though? The U.S. averages about 20 a year. That database list should've zipped down to one the second that cropped up.

I can let virtually everything else slide - suspension of disbelief and all that - but for some reason, that annoys me far more than it should.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh for god's sake, did Frank Miller do an uncredited rewrite on this game? Damsel in distress, thugs outright saying 'the law gives us more rights than the victims :smug:'...

Ugh. I hate this game more with every video.

The LP is good, but still. What the hell, Rocksteady?

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I... Wait a second. Did Riddler reverse-engineer the Wonder City robots from Arkham City to make his?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Is there a woman in this game who doesn't get helplessly captured at some point? I'd assume maybe Poison Ivy could have gotten out on her own if batman hadn't dealt with the other guards, but the rest of this game doesn't exactly inspire confidence on that matter. Like even with batman dealing with the half dozen extra guards, she gets out because the scarecrow wanted to show off his gas on one of his own soldiers.

Also I love that the robots can be stunned like they're people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FicusArt posted:

Is there a woman in this game who doesn't get helplessly captured at some point?

Harley hasn't been yet. v:shobon:v

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pretty sure they're just his, not reverse engineered.

But yeah, Catwoman as Riddlers victim of the game is really loving irritating, especially when Riddler has never had any beef with her even in this series and Catwoman says as much. It's a pointless ruining of a working relationship in a game where the implied threat is that, oh no, the villains are working together

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Grapplejack posted:

I can state without spoiling anything else that Catwoman pays Nigma back for this.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well at least there's one bit of fun thug dialogue still in there. "If you ever see Batman, shout and charge him. Never fails."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

But yeah, Catwoman as Riddlers victim of the game is really loving irritating, especially when Riddler has never had any beef with her even in this series and Catwoman says as much.

I dunno, if Drake, Alfred and/or Gordon ends up going down this game as everyone else did Bruce will be batting zero re: his allies and affiliates this time around. I'm willing to bet Gordon was set up to rush recklessly headlong into a trap whereas even Drake & Alfred aren't totally secure in the cave as they were just warned of possible breach. Nobody is safe.

As an aside Bats telling Alfred to buckle down the cave seems to imply he just leaves the thing unlocked when he goes :v:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

berryjon posted:

I can state without spoiling anything else that Catwoman pays Nigma back for this.
That doesn't help that much.

Anyway, it seems like building robots in the Batman verse isn't like building robots in our universe. Building robots that can walk like humans is easy, but building robots that are fist immune is apparently impossible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cador_2004 posted:

I... Wait a second. Did Riddler reverse-engineer the Wonder City robots from Arkham City to make his?

It's implied, but I don't think it's ever directly stated. Their movements are different enough that they could have been an independent invention.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh for god's sake, did Frank Miller do an uncredited rewrite on this game? Damsel in distress, thugs outright saying 'the law gives us more rights than the victims :smug:'...

At least most thug chatter is much better than that. In particular, I remember overhearing a robber saying something like "OK, OK, I'll go to one more riot, but then I gotta go home, it's my turn to watch the kids." :3:

The game's got some decent soul, sadly it's mostly in incidental stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have to assume that those upset over the treatment of Barbara and Selina are watching this LP blind. I don't see how you can feel that way if you've finished the game.

Cador_2004 posted:

I'm pretty sure he did. In City if you return to Wonder City in the post game, all of the robots are stacked in a nice pile. I'm pretty sure Harley has them in the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC. It's possible he bought the design off of her.

• Locked thread