Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

khy posted:

I'm curious whether there's any current or upcoming MMO games which have a class that has a heavy emphasis on pets. I mean like City of Villains Mastermind type emphasis - where the pets deal the bulk of the damage/tanking and the player actively supports them. Preferrably if the class supports multiple pets at once.
From a few pages back and it's not a MMO, but Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen has a pretty good pawn system where you have one main pawn you can customize at will and you can hire two additional pawns to suit your needs. So you can play a mage or sorcerer on your PC and support fighters and archers if you'd like, or you can hire or build a healer and play an archer or fighter-type class instead. You can change vocations for yourself and your main pawn at will so if you get bored with a class you can try something else whenever you'd like. It's more of an ARPG so not as point and click as a MMO, but it's not terribly difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I want wuxia fights in an interesting world that's maybe a little open. A more modern Jade Empire kinda thing I guess? Or like an ancient-China Sleeping Dogs.

You might be interested in this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This intrigues me somewhat but I cant make heads or tails of what I'm seeing here

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Holy poo poo, the first 轩辕剑 was the first game I had ever played, me and my cousin saved up our lunch money for months to buy that thing. That's fuckin' rad as hell, thanks for linking to it.

I have a question of my own. My brother and I are looking to start playing the 3DS Fire Emblems soon, and I managed to dig up my GBA Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword?) cart but my save is gone. I think I got up to ch. 18 of Eliwood's story. Is it worth playing the originals or are the newer ones' mechanics much much better? The stories are completely unconnected like Final Fantasy, right?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This intrigues me somewhat but I cant make heads or tails of what I'm seeing here

Basically, chinese anime

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm interested in this and I have no loving idea what it is but I think maybe it seems rad and now I have to get it??

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm interested in this and I have no loving idea what it is but I think maybe it seems rad and now I have to get it??

It's one of the longest running Wuxia videogame series, the first one came out in 1990. Jade Empire is to Wuxia what General Tao's Chicken is to Chinese food, still pretty good, but pretty westernized.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who has severe autism? My brother is visiting this weekend. If not, here's some particular wants:

- Doesn't focus on mechanical skills: Something like Meat Boy or Dark Souls wouldn't be very good.
- Simple gameplay (he's very inexperienced with video games, and gaming in general).
- "Humorous". Animated/humorous faces would be ideal.
- Inexpensive.
- Doesn't dwell on failure ("YOU DIED"). Meat Boy or Dust Force would be very good for this reason, but they're also mechanically intense games.

I'm thinking of trying Undertale because I happen to have it and its really not that hard of a game. Also, I think he'd really like the character portraits. The 'bullethell' segments would likely frustrate him quite a bit, but they're easy to get through as long as you have good guidance on items to equip or use. He wouldn't be very interested in a sandbox game so something like minecraft wouldn't be very good, especially if its only for a couple hours in the afternoon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How about one of the goofy "simulator" games like Goat Simulator or I Am Bread? Maybe Who's Your Daddy or Octodad.

If you have a PS3 then Noby Noby Boy which is basically a digital toy box.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Wargame Red Dragon has no empire building. Its also a really weird RTS, I kinda want a refund on it but I didn't spend enough to be upset. The UI is so minimalist it feels like they ran out of time and called it a day. The game does nothing to explain itself to you AT ALL so if you aren't already a military officer, good loving luck.

Seriously Wargame practically requires you to have gone to West Point to enjoy it. Its not for most people.

Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS ever made, and is WW2, although doesn't have much in the way of empire building. There's a campaign in COH1 and there's a bigger campaign in COH2 with a little more unlocking and upgrading and customizing, but its still nothing like a total war campaign.

Unfortunately AFAIK those types of games mostly stay away from modern times. There's a ton of medieval period ones, and a few sci-fi, but not much I can think of that's modern.

Yeah, it's a bummer about the Wargame series. I played the one that came before Red Dragon and couldn't really wrap my brain around all the different units.

What's the sci-fi game you're thinking of?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ProfessorBooty posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who has severe autism? My brother is visiting this weekend. If not, here's some particular wants:

- Doesn't focus on mechanical skills: Something like Meat Boy or Dark Souls wouldn't be very good.
- Simple gameplay (he's very inexperienced with video games, and gaming in general).
- Inexpensive.
- Doesn't dwell on failure ("YOU DIED"). Meat Boy or Dust Force would be very good for this reason, but they're also mechanically intense games.

I'm thinking of trying Undertale because I happen to have it and its really not that hard of a game. Also, I think he'd really like the character portraits. The 'bullethell' segments would likely frustrate him quite a bit, but they're easy to get through as long as you have good guidance on items to equip or use. He wouldn't be very interested in a sandbox game so something like minecraft wouldn't be very good, especially if its only for a couple hours in the afternoon.

Tales from the Borderlands, or some of the other Telltale games?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ProfessorBooty posted:

- Inexpensive.

Maybe stuff from the Humongous Entertainment back catalog? For the most part they're point and click adventure games, and are basically more overtly cartoony, kid-oriented offshoots of the "no death" LucasArts-style adventure game. Each individual game is $7 on Steam, but I've got a sampler pack of keys from an old Humble Bundle lying around if you're interested.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I wish to avoid games specifically aimed at children - he's and adult and knows whether he's playing a kid's game or not. A telltale game sounds interesting, I might look into some adventure games in general. He's not terrible at games. He made generally good headway when he played Journey, though at some point he got bored. I don't think failing or 'dying' is even a big deal, but a lot of games really rub failure in your face. I just realized I should take a look at my NES/SNES collection.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fair enough. I didn't mean to be patronizing, I just think HE games hold up as fun little adventure titles. :shobon: Telltale stuff would very probably fit the same bill without being kiddy-ish.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I picked up super house of dead ninjas recently; it's quite fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Lego games might also fit the bill, with the bonus of local co-op.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

John Murdoch posted:

Fair enough. I didn't mean to be patronizing, I just think HE games hold up as fun little adventure titles. :shobon: Telltale stuff would very probably fit the same bill without being kiddy-ish.

Its no problem. I'm taking a closer look regardless. As well as I know him he can be a real mystery to me, so I'm not offended by blind stabs folks would make based on my very vague criteria. Ultimately he's happy to have a change in scenery so I'm not worried about things being absolutely perfect.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I wish to avoid games specifically aimed at children - he's and adult and knows whether he's playing a kid's game or not.

Depending on how tight the "not for kids" and "Simple gameplay" requirements are, and if you have a playstation 2/3, the Ratchet and Clank games could be great. Basically Pixar movies but with a shitload of ridiculous guns instead of any story depth.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Unreal_One posted:

Depending on how tight the "not for kids" and "Simple gameplay" requirements are, and if you have a playstation 2/3, the Ratchet and Clank games could be great. Basically Pixar movies but with a shitload of ridiculous guns instead of any story depth.

I considered that, as well as Jak and Daxter. Good alternatives provided they're available on the PS3 via the store.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Good news on that front - every R&C game worth playing is available on PS3, since the HD collection. Fair warning, because it was ported by morons, the HD collection looks worse than the PS2 games.
Jak & Daxter requires a lot more skill at platforming, but a lot less at combat.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Geektox posted:

I have a question of my own. My brother and I are looking to start playing the 3DS Fire Emblems soon, and I managed to dig up my GBA Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword?) cart but my save is gone. I think I got up to ch. 18 of Eliwood's story. Is it worth playing the originals or are the newer ones' mechanics much much better? The stories are completely unconnected like Final Fantasy, right?

They are essentially unconnected. There are a few characters in FE Fates that also showed up in Awakening, but it's less of a connection between the two and more of an easter egg.

I think the mechanics in the new games make the old games less fun, specifically not having a limit on support conversations, pairing up in combat, and (at least in Conquest, holy poo poo) casual mode.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So, I think I pinpointed a little more about what feeling I want from the game I want to play.

Superhot was a lot of fun, because you got to be a total badass fighting guys who could one-shot you, but you can be super skilled and dodge bullets and do cool things.
I liked Prototype 2, because you're a monster fighting monsters. The enemies can really take a chunk out of you, but for the most part, skilled play can have you rip people apart. There's a lot of counter-moves you can make that lets you, say, rip off an enemy's arm using specific moves, or dizzy/throw enemies, stuff like that.
XCom 2 was a blast in later levels. I may have modded in much larger alien squads, in exchange for more powerful soldiers, so once I had colonels, it was a desperate struggle where a small group would barely triumph over lots of aliens. I liked the game better when I had a group of really good people who wouldn't get one-shot by a lucky crit, because then it involved a lot more about skill choices, positioning and taking purposeful risks, than "lol that lancer just saw you and instantly killed the person all the way in the back in one shot."

I sorta kinda liked Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition. Vergil was fun, but I have difficulty with fine motor control sometimes, so pulling off things like Just Timings is very difficult. I know there's a Simple Mode, where you basically just constantly push one button, but that kinda forces you to use some bad moves at bad times. It's a nice idea, but it doesn't really work. Like, Dante using Gilgamesh will randomly use Divine Dragon, and standing still for like 5 seconds is not the best idea.

I'm not too much of a fan of Dynasty Warriors series, because, unless you're fighting someone who has stats in the Millions, it's way too easy to just stomp everyone to oblivion. And then it's just kinda... they're winning with superior stats. I've beaten Lu Bu with starter characters, it's just a question on if he decides to just kinda ignore what I've done due to high stats or not. It's pretty rare for me to beat a level and not have full health.

So, I want to feel like a bit of a wrecking ball, going against worthwhile opponents. It can definitely be an action game, but it can't be so precise that my hands can't keep up (which, unfortunately, takes Hotline Miami out of it). I don't really care what style of game it is (I've noticed early access games Chronicon and Dungeon Souls, which are both kinda roguelite games, might be fun and explosive), but I do know that there's a lot of games where you kinda... you're like a weak person struggling for survival. That usually was a bit boring.

Edit: Stealth Games: Stealth is... ok. I played Dishonored, and it was ok. I had more fun when I got a trainer to give me Infinite Energy, but I don't feel the need to play it again. Mark of the Ninja didn't blow sand up my skirt, either.

Edit: RPGs: Final Fantasy XIII was a lot of fun... but oh my god the characters were so incredibly annoying. Combat was great, but I don't think I can play that game again.

(Someone mentioned Ronin earlier, and I grabbed it. I don't know yet if it's the kind of game I'm looking for, since I haven't had time to try it.)

Most games seem to have either a "You're a badass flattening chumps" feel, or a CRUSH MY BONES feel, and I'm looking for something a bit in the middle.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 12, 2016

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
God Hand and/or Dark Souls.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
God Hand has been fun. I'm looking for something where I'm playing something a bit more overtly powerful than in Dark Souls.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Metal Gear Rising. Not as dauntingly technical as DMC4 and it will definitely make you feel like a badass.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Seconding Metal Gear Rising, with two pieces of advice that it's good to have when first playing that game:

- Make sure to buy the dodge move ("Defensive Offense") as soon as you're out of the prologue
- Take the game seriously when it says parrying is important. If you're having trouble with it, make sure you're letting the stick go to neutral before doing towards+light attack

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've seen some LPs of Revengeance, and I was worried that I'd have difficulty with some of the controls (specifically parrying), but if it's easier to control than DMC4:SE, I'll give it a look. Anything else?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The parry (or block move, in any other game) is very lenient in MGR on account of it not being a single button press. It's the same button as your light attack. Parrying is basically attacking into an oncoming attack, so it's context-sensitive and only works when an attack is actually coming towards you.
Now, the parry-counter is the one with the tight timing window. It's pretty powerful and makes you look badass, but it's also entirely unneccessary to get through the game.

Here's a 3 minute video that tells you everything about parrying in MGR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MHp6_SSMs

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009
So, I'm going out of town for a week, and all I'm going to have is my ASUS Transformer book. I want to play an RPG or a Strategy RPG that's touchscreen friendly.

- Can be new or old (At least Mouse friendly for the touchscreen)
- Needs to be less than ~3.0 GB (I only have 3.21 GB free)
- I'd prefer that it's not on Steam (My Desktop will be in use while I'm away.)

I'm up for any suggestions. RPG's are preferred, but I'm open to anything that can hold my interest for about a week. I've tried some of the old Gold Box D&D games from GOG, but they didn't really play well with the touch screen. I really don't like using the little mouse pad on the keyboard, but if I have to. :effort:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Sproggiwood!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've seen some LPs of Revengeance, and I was worried that I'd have difficulty with some of the controls (specifically parrying), but if it's easier to control than DMC4:SE, I'll give it a look. Anything else?

Maybe Transformers: Devastation?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I'm gonna say Shadows of Mordor for sure, and I think Dark Messiah of Might and Magic would fit that criteria as well. Ninja Gaiden Black is also exactly what you want but that's only on the original Xbox and PS3. All the Batman Arkham games would fit this too I think. I'm mainly thinking of games that you can bend over your knee if you were just good at it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

future ghost posted:

From a few pages back and it's not a MMO, but Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen has a pretty good pawn system where you have one main pawn you can customize at will and you can hire two additional pawns to suit your needs. So you can play a mage or sorcerer on your PC and support fighters and archers if you'd like, or you can hire or build a healer and play an archer or fighter-type class instead. You can change vocations for yourself and your main pawn at will so if you get bored with a class you can try something else whenever you'd like. It's more of an ARPG so not as point and click as a MMO, but it's not terribly difficult.

I have DD:DA, but I have to admit it's annoying the lack of a fast-travel system in the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

khy posted:

I have DD:DA, but I have to admit it's annoying the lack of a fast-travel system in the game.

I'm kind of confused about this comment because not only does DD:DA have a fast travel system but it lets you put the destination points wherever you want which I found pretty convenient.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm kind of confused about this comment because not only does DD:DA have a fast travel system but it lets you put the destination points wherever you want which I found pretty convenient.

Yeah once Dark Arisen came out it became a LOT easier to do fast travel. Especially if you were lucky enough to get the Eternal Ferrystone from having a previous save file. Either way after a few hours the cost for ferrystones becomes trivial.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mune posted:

Yeah once Dark Arisen came out it became a LOT easier to do fast travel. Especially if you were lucky enough to get the Eternal Ferrystone from having a previous save file. Either way after a few hours the cost for ferrystones becomes trivial.

With Dark Arisen everyone gets an eternal ferrystone as soon as you get to Gran Soren (I had never played it and got one). I think it's in the Gran Soren storage.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

With Dark Arisen everyone gets an eternal ferrystone as soon as you get to Gran Soren (I had never played it and got one). I think it's in the Gran Soren storage.

Hmm, that's weird, I thought that was only in the PC version. I do know in my two PS3 files, the one I carried over from the original game got one but my new DD:DA file did not.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mune posted:

Hmm, that's weird, I thought that was only in the PC version. I do know in my two PS3 files, the one I carried over from the original game got one but my new DD:DA file did not.

My bad, I was posting about the PC version.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My bad, I was posting about the PC version.

Ah, that's what the conversation was originally about anyway. That one's on me. I did buy the PC version (because I badly want a sequel) but haven't played it because there don't really seem to be any good mods, and that's disappointing.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'm looking for a management sim that is most likely going to be sports-related, but doesn't have to be. Football Manager 2016 looks interesting since it's got a cool looking simulation engine showing your team in action, but it looks a bit too in-depth compared to the amount of time I'm willing to put into it. The concept of relegation looks really cool since you have the potential to rise and fall repeatedly over the years.

I remember NBA2k having a pretty neat GM mode where you could play games and manage the team, would that be a good alternative to someone who knows almost nothing about soccer? Or are there better management sims on the PC that I'm not thinking of? It doesn't necessarily have to be sports-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for a new game on PS4. I like platformers and action/adventure. Just finished The Last of Us and Batman: Arkham Knight. Thinking about Witcher 3 or Mad Max, but I don't really care about story (so I'm afraid Witcher won't hold my attention) and am afraid Mad Max will just be an Ubisoft collectathon/towerathon. Suggestions?