Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bhodi posted:

I just put a steam engine on it. Doesn't generate power but it eats the oil up.
Where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Another Goon sent me a code for this yesterday ended up playing it til two am (I had to stay up for something too though). Dreamed about assembly lines and am now in work at four pm loving knackered and chomping at the bit to go home and get an hour or two in before staying up for some other stuff tonight. This game is trash and makes me feel terrible and I LOVE it.

I think I missed some missions there at first. I did all the tutorial missions and it dumped me back at the main menu so I assumed that was it and went into a custom game after. I'm getting the impression there's more I'm missing there , but I managed to work my way up to steel production through trial and error and the lessons from the tutorial.

Also while I'm on it that tutorial is great. I've always wanted to get into something like Tekkit or Space Engineers but the lack of a good in game tutorial really made it hard to understand.

Sorry to gush a bit, being stuck in work only makes me want to play more. :D

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
There's the New Hope campaign, which gradually slides you into concepts like Trains, raiding enemy bases, and Oil. Those missions are a lot longer (and a lot less interesting) so you could go to free mode if you wanted.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Obama 2012 posted:

Make a blueprint that's nothing but concrete (I use an 8x8 square). The blueprint tool will preference equipment ON a surface before the surface itself, so if there's any equipment selected when you make a blueprint it will ignore the concrete it's on.

Makes sense, since it would be a pain in the rear end if it kept making the floor part of your blueprints when you didn't want it to.

Exactly this. I made a large empty square (about 25x25), blueprinted it and then pasted it all over. The mod pack I'm using has logistic warehouses (bobs has so many things, storage is a huge problem which this helps alleviate) and I have my concrete factory feeding directly into one - they have 220 stack spaces and are 5x5 structures. My mk2 construction bots are better than standard but once I produce mk3s it'll be a lot quicker. I recommend using the Blueprint String mod, as time goes on you gradually build up a bloody useful library of nifty blueprints.

Evilreaver posted:

Train stuff

Thanks, I'm a terrible train scrub and have even resorted to the double headed choo-choo on occasion.

Roflex posted:

Train stuff

Beautiful stuff, would you mind sharing the blueprint strings please? I'm just going to have to build something like that now I realise how lovely and third world my train usage has been.

GotLag posted:

Got more heavy oil, light oil or gas than you need? Don't have cracking researched yet? Why store it when you can burn it?

Nice, you got a link to those? Something I was looking for: I need a way to purge excess fluids without resorting to picking up and dropping the tank. This is primarily for Bobs as it has so many liquid chemicals and it's nigh impossible to balance them all. Sulfuric acid in particular builds up rapidly and I don't want to waste the resources + energy to turn it into umpteen billion batteries. There's a gas venting mod which works nicely but nothing like a runoff pool to dump liquids.

Bhodi posted:

I just put a steam engine on it. Doesn't generate power but it eats the oil up.

:vince: This works? I must try that with my acid build up ta.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In my last game I could see what an assembler was assembling without clicking on it, and look in chests and see what smart inserters were set to. In this new game I can't and I don't know if that was from some key I pushed on the keyboard that activated the overlay or if it was a technology upgrade.

Which was it?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 12, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Press alt.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Krysmphoenix posted:

There's the New Hope campaign, which gradually slides you into concepts like Trains, raiding enemy bases, and Oil. Those missions are a lot longer (and a lot less interesting) so you could go to free mode if you wanted.

Oh that was a whole new campaign? It thought that was just the second map of the tutorial, thanks!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
about trains, whenever i seem to use automated trains they speed up to 8 billion miles per hour and run me over in a split second

is there a speed limit sign i can plant to slow those fuckers down

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Suspicious Dish posted:

about trains, whenever i seem to use automated trains they speed up to 8 billion miles per hour and run me over in a split second

is there a speed limit sign i can plant to slow those fuckers down

As someone said, you can place gates around your crossing points as a sort of crossing signal, otherwise, load yourself up with shields and slow them down with your face.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Can trains go through gates or something? I'm not sure how that helps. I usually just pull the track and place it afterwards, since these trains have impeccable breaks.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can trains go through gates or something? I'm not sure how that helps. I usually just pull the track and place it afterwards, since these trains have impeccable breaks.

The gates drop well before the train goes through, so you can tell a train is coming long before you see it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Add more cargo wagons to slow them down. Makes them also look a lot less goofy than 1-2 car trains. I like to have 10 wagons with 1 engine. Makes it look realistic enough without being totally unwieldy.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats a good direction to start going once you get past the extreme early game? I got red/green tech automated into science labs but really nothing beyond that.

I'm playing with enemies off for what it's worth.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
Start thinking about oil, and increasing scale of production. You'll quickly find yourself needing to triple, quadruple, quintuple your electronic circuit production for example, and blue science needs a lot of oil products.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mr. Bill posted:

Start thinking about oil, and increasing scale of production. You'll quickly find yourself needing to triple, quadruple, quintuple your electronic circuit production for example, and blue science needs a lot of oil products.

To add: consider investing some of that red/green into solar power and accumulators. After all, automating power refilling is a thing to do. And when you do get oil, you should go right to plastics first. One of the things for blue science requires plastic. Soon after, go to advanced oil since you're probably out of heavy oil and petroleum gas with an excess of light oil.

Speaking of, the gently caress does light oil do besides be used for solid fuel and breakdown into petroleum gas?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Don't you combine it with heavy oil for flamethrower fuel?

(edit) They need to hurry up and add a few more cooking recipies. I start in the stone age and work my way up to rocket science and computer engineering, but apparently sticking a stick through a fish and holding it next to a fire is above the tech level Factorio is shooting for. For that matter I'd like a few pieces of "furniture" and things for my character to do when he's not maximizing throughput or expanding the transport network. Sometimes a fella just wants to sit down and relax, you know? What the hell do I have all these machines working for if I can't kick back with a cold one and watch my robots robot.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 13, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Concrete has a stack size of 100 so in my opinion a 10x10 blueprint is the way to go. Much easier to figure how much concrete you need.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solumin posted:

Concrete has a stack size of 100 so in my opinion a 10x10 blueprint is the way to go. Much easier to figure how much concrete you need.

I just hold down the mouse button and paint with the concrete blueprint. Each blueprint is a different brush type.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Network Pesci posted:

Don't you combine it with heavy oil for flamethrower fuel?

(edit) They need to hurry up and add a few more cooking recipies. I start in the stone age and work my way up to rocket science and computer engineering, but apparently sticking a stick through a fish and holding it next to a fire is above the tech level Factorio is shooting for. For that matter I'd like a few pieces of "furniture" and things for my character to do when he's not maximizing throughput or expanding the transport network. Sometimes a fella just wants to sit down and relax, you know? What the hell do I have all these machines working for if I can't kick back with a cold one and watch my robots robot.

With iron plates, light and heavy oils make some flamethrower fuel. Unless the flamethrower is a worthwhile endeavor (read: awesome for a big batch of mobs and general purple stuff farming), I'll stick my heavy oil into lube.

EDIT: Oh, how soon should I slap modules on everything? And what goes to what?

widespread fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 13, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

While holding concrete on your cursor, press numpad plus or minus to change the area you're stamping

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

widespread posted:

With iron plates, light and heavy oils make some flamethrower fuel. Unless the flamethrower is a worthwhile endeavor (read: awesome for a big batch of mobs and general purple stuff farming), I'll stick my heavy oil into lube.

Modules are pretty much optional for a standard game or something you use to tweak a lines throughput without rebuilding it.

Flamethrowers are good for clearing trees now but not so great with biters.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

widespread posted:

A couple of speed modules to match up production chain throughputs. I wouldn't even use anything but level 1 modules since they will never pay for themselves above that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there a good way to take down forests quickly?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Agent355 posted:

Is there a good way to take down forests quickly?

Poison capsules, grenades, construction robots.

E, re: modules, slot 2-3 efficiency 1s in common, constantly running and individually unimportant things (miners, furnaces, gear & circuit assemblers) if you care about pollution or not covering the map in solar panels. Slot speed if you want more stuff and are pressed for space. Slot production if you want more stuff and care about using more input materials (advanced modules, capsules, maybe robots). Note that production modules on their own actually slow down the rate of production: they just give you more stuff out per thing put in, at the cost of production speed, pollution and energy consumption.

Efficiency is the most useful, especially for furnaces and miners; for a constantly running electric furnace an efficiency 1 is about as much energy gained as a solar panel + accumulator. Speed and production are less good and generally paired to get more at the end of long production chains. If you want to mass produce module 3s or destroyer capsules then slot production and surround with a couple of beacons slotted with speed. These are much more situational, though: most of the time you're better off just adding more assemblers to get more stuff.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 13, 2016

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sorry more questions, i keep running into new problems.

Whats a good way to put circuit networks to use? I'm not sure I even entirely understand how they work but I can't think of what they would be used for either.

E: is there just some sort of 'this is the poo poo you should know' guide? How to put trains/bots/circuits to good use, what you should be working toward?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 13, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xerophyte posted:

Poison capsules, grenades, construction robots.

also autoshotguns

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Agent355 posted:

Whats a good way to put circuit networks to use? I'm not sure I even entirely understand how they work but I can't think of what they would be used for either.

The best way to use circuit networks is for wiring up smart inserters, pumps etc. to only run when you want them to. The most useful is with oil, so you can do stuff like only crack heavy oil down to light when your heavy oil storage is full.

The combinators are more gimmicky (at least in the base game), but if you're clever you could use it to do something like prioritize giving flying robot frames to the particular robot type you have less of, or not overbuilding one particular input to something if the other input is being a bottleneck.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Agent355 posted:

They're mainly for silly gimmicky things like pretty flashing lights, but a few arbitrary uses:
*turning off heavy oil cracking if lube is low
*uh
*hm.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Also making sure your factories run off Solar, then Accumulator, THEN Steam power.

Or has that been changed?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Also making sure your factories run off Solar, then Accumulator, THEN Steam power.

Or has that been changed?

Or get enough solar panels to go solar daytime, then accumulator night time, and never use steam again ever. :science:

Also how soon should I bump my robots' speed up? ASAP?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

widespread posted:

Or get enough solar panels to go solar daytime, then accumulator night time, and never use steam again ever. :science:

Also how soon should I bump my robots' speed up? ASAP?

That's the goal of course, but if you've got a legacy steam plant, it's a nice option to be able to turn it on in an emergency.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ikanreed posted:

They're mainly for silly gimmicky things like pretty flashing lights, but a few arbitrary uses:
*turning off heavy oil cracking if lube is low
*uh
*hm.

When you said silly gimmicky things with lights, uh, dang you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indN4kcshB0

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Hm... for killing biters that are totally attacking me first, what's better: Combat Shotguns or Rocket Launchers? Because I can get access to purple stuff right now, and I'm literally surrounded at all sides by them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

:allears: This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. How in the world did they manage that...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

Hm... for killing biters that are totally attacking me first, what's better: Combat Shotguns or Rocket Launchers? Because I can get access to purple stuff right now, and I'm literally surrounded at all sides by them.

Rockets are awesome, but rocket launchers are not. Unfortunately you can't use one without the other. Combat shotgun (especially once you get the piercing ammo) will be better.

Phone posting so I can't quote whoever it was, but yes your factory should automatically prioritize solar over steam over accumulators. It'll be easier in 0.13 to control thanks to the new electrical switch.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

widespread posted:

autoshotty with piercing ammo is currently the best solution to mass violence. Flamethrowers are ok against trees and rockets for immobile worms, but in general the autoshotty is how you kill things.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ciaphas posted:

0.13 will have light color be controllable, FYI

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

President Ark posted:

also autoshotguns

And flamethrowers since a few patches back. Just be real careful because if you are close to something you spray with fire it bounces back and roasts you too.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Which mod would you guys recommend for making lategame enemies a bit more challenging? I just build the rocket silo and yet enemies are still mostly small biters (only very recently did I start seeing spitter's at all). It's also a bit too easy in my opinion to just clear out all enemy bases in your pollution cloud, something that would make them resettle (much faster) would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Which mod would you guys recommend for making lategame enemies a bit more challenging? I just build the rocket silo and yet enemies are still mostly small biters (only very recently did I start seeing spitter's at all). It's also a bit too easy in my opinion to just clear out all enemy bases in your pollution cloud, something that would make them resettle (much faster) would be good.

You can use the console to greatly reduce the global cooldown on biter settling (default values shown):

code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_expansion_cooldown = 5 * 3600
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.max_expansion_cooldown = 60 * 3600
The values are given in ticks (60 ticks per second, 3600 ticks per minute), and the default settings are 5 to 60 minutes. Bringing it down to under a minute can have some impressively dramatic effects. Though note that this won't take effect until the next time the biters settle.

Or, if the biter bases aren't dense enough for you, or you want them to settle even closer to you, there's also these settings:

code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_base_spacing = 3
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_player_base_distance = 3
Both values are given in chunks (32x32 areas the size of the 'pixels' of pollution/fog of war on the map).

You only have to type these commands once per save file, as the game will remember your changes. And typing them becomes easier when you use the up/down arrows to use the command history.