Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Hell, I'm 31 and won't retire until I'm 62 at the earliest. :suicide:
The Danish government or whatever, really want the armed forces to be more like a real job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh the Danes have a chief process like the US?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

-Anders posted:

Hell, I'm 31 and won't retire until I'm 62 at the earliest. :suicide:
The Danish government or whatever, really want the armed forces to be more like a real job.

From the Danes I saw off the Absalon in 2008, your Naval service doesn't absolutely crush the will to live out of its sailors.

Some Danes hopped on their RHIB and came over for a visit. It was bright and sunny out. They were all having a great time jumping waves. Then they came alongside our ship and had bilge pumped on their heads.

The longer they walked around our hallways, the less smiley they were. By the end they were just as depressed and pasty white as the rest of the US crew. The pervasive cloud of anti-morale had won.

Our sailors that visited the Absalon came back unable to understand how you can have a deployment and not hate your life.

Ours makes 20 years seem so unbearable that dudes off themselves to get out.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 12, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
We learned it from the British.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

We learned it from the British.

And made it worse by eliminating beer rations.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

MancXVI posted:

Curious: how old are you?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

4 years to go. Unless I make Chief, then I'll probably stay in longer. NC's love the Navy more than anyone, you know.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I was 30 when I got out. I'm 32 now. In a year I'll have a BS in electrical engineering, paid for in full by the American taxpayer.

You're an ET who usually scores in the 70s, which means you probably remember at least 10% of whatever basic circuits poo poo you learned in A-school. As a former AT who scored similarly, it's made my experience pretty smooth.

Have you considered getting out and using your GI Bill for a degree in engineering?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I sort of regret not changing my mind and getting an EE degree instead of CE. It would have probably cost me 3 years in school vice 2 when I got out.

On the other hand, in the back of my mind, I like inspecting bridges and doing terrain modelling and leaving how to solder poo poo and manipulating DC servo motors as a hobby. Plus, I live in a state with the 5th largest DOT and a lovely infrastructure, so my job security is pretty kickass.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Once I retire I will. I enjoy being in the navy. Probably because I was raised in a cult.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
the gently caress

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

only 12 years left.....you lifers are an impressive bunch. Meanwhile me and my co workers are all getting ready to go to taps.

Friend of mine gave me a pretty nice template for a resume. Don't be one of those dudes that just sits around surfing facebook or imgur and missing out on some of the resources you can use or start planning for school.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pandasmores posted:

Friend of mine gave me a pretty nice template for a resume. Don't be one of those dudes that just sits around surfing facebook or imgur and missing out on some of the resources you can use or start planning for school whatever is next.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Laranzu posted:

From the Danes I saw off the Absalon in 2008, your Naval service doesn't absolutely crush the will to live out of its sailors.

Some Danes hopped on their RHIB and came over for a visit. It was bright and sunny out. They were all having a great time jumping waves. Then they came alongside our ship and had bilge pumped on their heads.

The longer they walked around our hallways, the less smiley they were. By the end they were just as depressed and pasty white as the rest of the US crew. The pervasive cloud of anti-morale had won.

Our sailors that visited the Absalon came back unable to understand how you can have a deployment and not hate your life.

Ours makes 20 years seem so unbearable that dudes off themselves to get out.

That's so loving depressing but eh, checks with chart. Japanese and Aussies and Chileans and everybody else seemed to have a blast on RIMPAC and couldn't understand why we lived in Hawaii and were drunk and bitter and angry.

It's got to be the ratchet that does it. It only turns one way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The problem with comparing the rest of the world's navies to Americas is the US navy basically does everything for everyone worldwide. Yeah they have blasts on deployment when the one or two cutters the entire country owns goes out for 6 months or so. The USN has a higher optempo and more actual poo poo to do than probably the entire rest of the world combined. We have more ships, more missions, and more bureaucracy as a result.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
According to some quick numbers from wikipedia:

The USA has 22 aircraft carriers. The rest of the world combined has 12. The US has 33 amphibs. The entire rest of the world 38. 28/6 for cruisers, 62/153 for destroyers, 6/397 for frigates, 0/259 corvettes, 72/77 for nuclear subs, and the rest of the world has a total of 363 conventional subs.

The rest of the world has a couple of little paddleboats while the US has half of the world's capital ships. If there was anyone out there actually running the missions and operating with the sheer scale of the US navy, they would probably be miserable as well. Likewise if we just had 3-4 destroyers and frigates as our navy, the 600 sailors that manned them would probably have the time of their life on their 3-4 deployments a decade.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I saw your number of frigates and thought, that can't be right we had 3 just in Everett!?

Then I went to the Wikis and saw they all got decommisioned last year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I saw your number of frigates and thought, that can't be right we had 3 just in Everett!?

Then I went to the Wikis and saw they all got decommisioned last year.

Yeah all of those badboys are either being parted out and sold to other countries or will sit in a graveyard and get scavenged by old destroyer and cruiser crews that still need parts from the 70s & 80s. It's sad to see them go, but really they don't have an active worthwhile mission anymore. All the cruisers will be gone soon, too. DDGs are just too loving good at pretty much everything that we actually need.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's been almost 3 years why do I loving care about this poo poo?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because all of the dumb poo poo aside, there are cool things about this massive floating arsenal that we've amassed.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem with comparing the rest of the world's navies to Americas is the US navy basically does everything for everyone worldwide. Yeah they have blasts on deployment when the one or two cutters the entire country owns goes out for 6 months or so. The USN has a higher optempo and more actual poo poo to do than probably the entire rest of the world combined. We have more ships, more missions, and more bureaucracy as a result.

That seems backwards though. Chile has like 2-4 submarines, one of which got to go to RIMPAC. Along with a Korean war-era frigate, they were the ambassadors for their entire nation - continent even, I don't think any other South American ships were there that year. Drilled to high standards, the strictly-regimented pinnacle of their country's craft. Except no - they were competent, but chill as gently caress, happy dudes on a nice cruise. Why should a bigger fleet mean a higher probability of being institutionally hosed, or having someone just jump up your rear end daily?

A (massively) bigger fleet and higher optempo means more work, but it doesn't have to be so... punitive I guess. Chile (and Denmark and Japan and Australia) are some pretty prosperous and modern nations and they still seem to manage a gratifying and happy experience for their guys. I've been out almost a decade so I don't know why I care about this poo poo either, it just seems like people arbitrarily get boned regularly and it just saps motivation and morale unnecessarily. I didn't intend for this to come out like that one lady with the "here's why I'm resigning my commission" letter, just that so much poo poo is just an energy-sucking grind.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Because all of the dumb poo poo aside, there are cool things about this massive floating arsenal that we've amassed.

Agreed, I'd never want to do it again but I'd also not want not to have done it.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 13, 2016

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wondered that too, because you're making excuses for a lovely wardroom culture that drives the rest of the lovely subcultures in the Navy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because just as if youd been raised catholic and since gone agnostic/atheist, there's always going to be a self-hating soft spot.

Also, recently learned that the Ol REUBAN JAMES got blowed up good by an SM6. I was just as happy to learn that as when my former XO got shitcanned for molesting a chief's wife in Panama.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hogmartin posted:

That seems backwards though. Chile has like 2-4 submarines, one of which got to go to RIMPAC. Along with a Korean war-era frigate, they were the ambassadors for their entire nation - continent even, I don't think any other South American ships were there that year. Drilled to high standards, the strictly-regimented pinnacle of their country's craft. Except no - they were competent, but chill as gently caress, happy dudes on a nice cruise. Why should a bigger fleet mean a higher probability of being institutionally hosed, or having someone just jump up your rear end daily?

A (massively) bigger fleet and higher optempo means more work, but it doesn't have to be so... punitive I guess. Chile (and Denmark and Japan and Australia) are some pretty prosperous and modern nations and they still seem to manage a gratifying and happy experience for their guys. I've been out almost a decade so I don't know why I care about this poo poo either, it just seems like people arbitrarily get boned regularly and it just saps motivation and morale unnecessarily. I didn't intend for this to come out like that one lady with the "here's why I'm resigning my commission" letter, just that so much poo poo is just an energy-sucking grind.

Agreed, I'd never want to do it again but I'd also not want not to have done it.

Exactly my point, though. Chile has only a handful of subs period. They go out to go dick around at rimpac. Of course they're gonna have a blast. They're not out with the optempo that we are.

krispykremessuck posted:

I wondered that too, because you're making excuses for a lovely wardroom culture that drives the rest of the lovely subcultures in the Navy.

gently caress no I don't support the lovely SWO culture or the chief's treefort.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I got to work with a Chilean Officer who was on a swap when I was sent TAD to a deploying ship (because my ship plowed into a bunch of coral 9 months before I got there).

That dude knew far more than anyone else on the ship about navigation, being an OOD, and maneuvering the ship - including the CO. However, he knew exactly dick all about combat. One day I asked him what he thought the strengths and weaknesses of the US Navy. He said he wouldn't even know where to begin in describing how much more advanced we are in integration and air defense. Our ships are just more dynamic with more of a mission load than other navies

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vrath posted:

Can't do that, then I run the risk of getting a poo poo eval based on the fact that I am not going to make board anyways because I don't give a gently caress. Since it's the truth, mostly because I have 12 years left and will get to reitre anyways as a first, its an appealing option tho.

Only 12 years left? Lol I have 3 months left, and I made first my first time up. I'd be board eligible next year but that would require me to reenlist again. Not a chance in hell I've had enough of this crazy train.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vrath posted:

Once I retire I will. I enjoy being in the navy. Probably because I was raised in a cult.

Stockholm syndrome is strong in this one.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Lou Takki posted:

Stockholm syndrome is strong in this one.

^^^^^^^^^^
He would know.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

hogmartin posted:

:chiefsay: pretty much ruins the Navy IMO, not runs it.

What was that saying a year or two ago? Hang all khakis?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
70 days left. 20 are weekend that I don't have to come in. 22 are days that I'm taking leave. :getin:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We have far too many ships and deployments and need a drastic downsize

That's my opinion thanks for reading

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hogmartin posted:

This applies to so many military-related things.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gi bill is dope

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Gi bill is dope

also, my body is just as creaky (and ears just as ring-y) as it would be if I worked some lovely construction job, but I draw vets welfare for it now, which is pretty loving sweet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah in all fairness not exactly a lot of work places that pay you any sort of disability in any capacity

One place I worked if you claimed any form of workers compensation for an injury etc at all you'd be fired within months if not months for "reasons"

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

DownByTheWooter posted:

also, my body is just as creaky (and ears just as ring-y) as it would be if I worked some lovely construction job, but I draw vets welfare for it now, which is pretty loving sweet

This, 100% (or a lesser percentage I guess, depends what the VA says). Even if you didn't claim any disability on the way out, you can still get compensated for stuff that's in your record. It may take months to process and the disability payments probably won't cover the mortgage but you earned it, take a day and go get it. Plus if you're over 30% (I think) you get VA health coverage indefinitely. Someone like Mr. Nice! probably has more details on account of being able to quote chapter and verse of regulations. Seriously, get yourself checked in.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is there a cutoff for indefinite healthcare? Don't they use some weird algorithm; or regardless of disability rating you get it indefinitely so long as you're poor? Something like that. It's all quite confusing obviously

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is there a cutoff for indefinite healthcare? Don't they use some weird algorithm; or regardless of disability rating you get it indefinitely so long as you're poor? Something like that. It's all quite confusing obviously

I think pension benefits can be based on needs but disability benefits aren't. When I told my dad my disability percentage he said that it meant VA health care basically forever. He's the kind of person to do all the research but essentially I'm just sea-lawyering here, wait for someone who knows what they're talking about and can give you pub numbers.

That said, $580 per month tax-free - back-dated to your EOS - is not imaginary so go get your eval done.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As long as your broke you qualify with any rating. 30% you qualify regardless of how much you make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I like how I had no idea how any of that worked or even a basic concept of getting any form of disability payment and the VA covering injuries while you were in it until like a year before I got out

Guess that doesn't encourage retention

• Locked thread