Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I don't think California recognizes loss of use on UMPD claims but his carrier may be different. It's worth asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
GOod info here. If its part of the car like that it counts

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I had an at fault accident in 2015 and was notified recently that my premium with esurance was rising from $555/6 to $1010/6. I have full coverage with high lights and a high deductible, age 26.

Are any insurance companies known for offering better/worse rates with an accident on the record? Any resources to easily price shop without getting two dozen phone calls? I'm shocked that a minor accident on my record would be such a difference on a $10000 car.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

antiga posted:

I had an at fault accident in 2015 and was notified recently that my premium with esurance was rising from $555/6 to $1010/6. I have full coverage with high lights and a high deductible, age 26.

Are any insurance companies known for offering better/worse rates with an accident on the record? Any resources to easily price shop without getting two dozen phone calls? I'm shocked that a minor accident on my record would be such a difference on a $10000 car.

The longer you're with a company, the easier they are on you after you have an at-fault accident

How long have you been with esurance?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Only a year, I switched my insurance when I bought my (used) car. Before that I was a driver on a plan under a family member's name with Allstate. Will I have a better shot with them?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

The longer you're with a company, the easier they are on you after you have an at-fault accident

How long have you been with esurance?

The company may have some longevity discounts but this, in general, the increase is only related to the accident regardless of your tenure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

As far as the car seat goes let your carrier know about the damage. They should pay to replace it under your collision coverage, it's state law.

CA requires the car seat be replaced either if it was occupied or if it was unoccupied but damaged, neither of which was our case. They lumped it under recovery from the at-fault party instead. I mean, we were planning on buying a new booster seat that weekend anyways so no big deal.

Trailer hitch was aftermarket installed by myself so I'm not sure if we have coverage on that. The body shop listed a tow package on my vehicle when they wrote the total loss estimate so maybe I got recovery through that instead, I'll have to check if they put that in the appraisal or not.

I waived my car rental coverage :/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bovril Delight posted:

The company may have some longevity discounts but this, in general, the increase is only related to the accident regardless of your tenure.

I've been told when calling around that until 3 years has passed since my last at-fault, it's not worth switching since any offers are going to be sky high. State Farm was cool and told me if I call back 3 years and 1 day after the date of my accident, it will drop off their system and I can get a good rate.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Question reference Life Insurance.......

My fiance is 29yoa and HIV Pos. He is relatively healthy, has an extremely low viral load count, and recently started meds to hopefully get them low enough to be undetectable and stay healthy. However, this obviously causes major red flags for any form of life insurance, and so far he is hit with automatic denials wherever he looks, usually before even reaching underwriting.

Are there any companies out there that offer term life insurance for people in 'high risk' categories? I went through a similar situation a few years ago trying to help my mother, (who even after 8+ years cancer free from breast cancer, she had trouble getting even a small policy).

Eventually he'll be added to my health insurance at work this fall after we've married, as my UHC is actually better than his BCBS. I'll be able to get a small 30k LIfe & AD&D rider as a spouse/dependent for a whopping $1.54/month at that time, but we'd like something not tied to my job. (I've got $275k on me through work, but still have a small 50k term policy on the outside as well, cause you never know the future).

Edit - Well drat, I just found this article from December....Appears that Prudential just started a high-risk plan for HIV Pos clients. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/12/01/3726982/life-insurance-hiv/

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 22, 2016

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Just pulled my CLUE report and the other driver got $10500 from my insurance company for medical compensation. That's completely bogus, she told me she was fine at the scene and I wish my insurance co had asked me before they paid that. The property damage was $700 to give you an idea of the magnitude of the accident.

Any opinions on which companies I should call to shop around or how to find an independent agent?

Edit: went ahead and shopped around, info for posterity. Quotes ranged from $1500/6 at Liberty to $480/6 Geico. I disclosed the accident, anecdotally the higher rates came from the companies that asked more questions about the accident. I fully expected the quote from Geico to be a mistake but it went through.

antiga fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 22, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

antiga posted:

Thats tough. Esurance is designed for cheap cheap cheap, not necessarily for those with records that are going to actually USE them. I'd definitely shop around. I think you're further hamstrung since you weren't on your own policy prior to the parents paying for it before.

antiga posted:

Just pulled my CLUE report and the other driver got $10500 from my insurance company for medical compensation. That's completely bogus, she told me she was fine at the scene and I wish my insurance co had asked me before they paid that. The property damage was $700 to give you an idea of the magnitude of the accident.

Any opinions on which companies I should call to shop around or how to find an independent agent?

Edit: went ahead and shopped around, info for posterity. Quotes ranged from $1500/6 at Liberty to $480/6 Geico. I disclosed the accident, anecdotally the higher rates came from the companies that asked more questions about the accident. I fully expected the quote from Geico to be a mistake but it went through.

Snatch up that GEICO policy. You've got a claim for damages both injury AND property. Snatch up the cheapest one you can get if its that big a deal in cost. Thats a huge difference in price.

If you want to shop around, hit up an independent agent and let them know about the accident before hand or pull a CLUE and give it to them.

Furthermore, remember, an insurance company is able to do whatever THEY want to do. They aren't going to consult you on what YOU want to happen, you ceded that authority to them when you got the policy. Often times its cheaper for them to pay the claim, ding you for it, than it is to fight a lenthy legal battle to save you a few hundred in future premiums. Sucks, but that is how it goes:(

Madbullogna posted:

Question reference Life Insurance.......

My fiance is 29yoa and HIV Pos. He is relatively healthy, has an extremely low viral load count, and recently started meds to hopefully get them low enough to be undetectable and stay healthy. However, this obviously causes major red flags for any form of life insurance, and so far he is hit with automatic denials wherever he looks, usually before even reaching underwriting.

Are there any companies out there that offer term life insurance for people in 'high risk' categories? I went through a similar situation a few years ago trying to help my mother, (who even after 8+ years cancer free from breast cancer, she had trouble getting even a small policy).

Eventually he'll be added to my health insurance at work this fall after we've married, as my UHC is actually better than his BCBS. I'll be able to get a small 30k LIfe & AD&D rider as a spouse/dependent for a whopping $1.54/month at that time, but we'd like something not tied to my job. (I've got $275k on me through work, but still have a small 50k term policy on the outside as well, cause you never know the future).

Edit - Well drat, I just found this article from December....Appears that Prudential just started a high-risk plan for HIV Pos clients. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/12/01/3726982/life-insurance-hiv/
That is something I have no experience with, but I"d go for the specialty plan for sure.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
When you renew with Geico they'll actually underwrite you and ding ya for the accident. It's probably not a mistake

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Wickerman posted:

When you renew with Geico they'll actually underwrite you and ding ya for the accident. It's probably not a mistake

Well, that's odd but at least then I'd be six months closer to having it fall off my record. I booked it, hopefully I don't get a call in a week saying they made a mistake and want to cancel.

To the other poster, I'd think esurance would rather have me on the record saying that the other party obviously lied about the injuries rather than writing a big check but I understand that they didn't have to act in my interest.

Thanks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

antiga posted:

Well, that's odd but at least then I'd be six months closer to having it fall off my record. I booked it, hopefully I don't get a call in a week saying they made a mistake and want to cancel.

To the other poster, I'd think esurance would rather have me on the record saying that the other party obviously lied about the injuries rather than writing a big check but I understand that they didn't have to act in my interest.

Thanks.

The other party didn't really lie, they just ran up a bunch of medical bills because that's what their attorney told them to do. If Esurance says they aren't paying it, it would go to court and you run the risk of getting a big rear end settlement against Esurance and you. Them paying the amount releases you from any liability. It sucks but it's really in your best interests.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
I did something really dumb, I'm kind of freaking out, and I need to know what to do next.

Roughly three weeks ago, my family and I went to an event in a neighboring city. I hit a parked car while I was trying to park my car in a parking garage. Thankfully, I was going very slowly and the other car had very little visible damage. I got out to look for the owner, and left a note with my insurance and contact info when I couldn't find anyone. The other car's owner hasn't been in touch with me, and probably just didn't want to get insurance involved over something so minor.

My car did have some damage (busted headlight cover, pushed back quarter panel), but it was definitely safe to drive. I planned to call my insurance company as soon as we got home, but I forgot. To make a long story short, a combination of distracting life events and procrastination meant that I didn't call my insurance company to make a claim until today. I had an incredible amount of anxiety on the phone with the person who took my information. A part of me felt so scared that they would deny my claim because of how long ago the accident happened that I lied and said it happened yesterday in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store. I told the truth about everything else that happened (hit another car while parking, very minor damage to the other car, other person hasn't contacted me, I left a note, etc.), and I didn't make the accident or damage to my car seem worse than it was.

The moment I got off the phone, I thought to myself "That was so stupid. Why in the hell did I just do that?" What do I do now?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So three weeks late on a loss report isn't remotely eyebrow raising for a claims adjuster so don't worry about that. Call your adjuster back and let them know you were nervous and confused some details, you are at fault either way, that way if the other driver does call in a claim it doesn't generate a second claim and any investigation. Give them the correct date of loss and location so the claim can be handled correctly.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Thanks, I feel a lot better. I'm just going to give them a call and let them have the correct info. I hate it when anxiety runs away with me like that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yup that is good advice. Just call it in and let them know when/where it happened.

Good of you to leave a note like that, though!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This seems a little outside of the bounds of this excellent thread, but I am preparing to shop for health insurance on the ACA exchange for the first time in May due to a change in employment status. I've always purchased through employers before, and because the enrollment period has ended, I was wondering what resources exist for helping me figure out what I need and what plans aren't just huge scams. Ideally I'd like there to be somebody out there who I could pay like a couple hundred dollars to sit down with me and explain things and answer questions. Are there people like that out there, or other resources to help me think things out?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

This seems a little outside of the bounds of this excellent thread, but I am preparing to shop for health insurance on the ACA exchange for the first time in May due to a change in employment status. I've always purchased through employers before, and because the enrollment period has ended, I was wondering what resources exist for helping me figure out what I need and what plans aren't just huge scams. Ideally I'd like there to be somebody out there who I could pay like a couple hundred dollars to sit down with me and explain things and answer questions. Are there people like that out there, or other resources to help me think things out?

Ask here for free -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540057

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

THANK YOU! I was looking for a thread like that all day!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is there a good way to find a broker? I've never used one before and this thread recommends it, but I'm not certain how to find a good one and I didn't see it in the OP.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly and this is old fashioned, I'd ask someone you trust who they use. Networking. If you don't know, I'd find a carrier you feel you can trust snd hit google to see if anyone is in the area. Then find one that offers as many companies as possible, and hit them up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I checked through the first several pages of this thread and didn't see it mentioned, and I figured this was the best place to ask it rather than making a new thread or something.

I probably already know the answer to this, but is Progressive's "Snapshot" thing for auto insurance worthwhile? Like yeah the downsides seem obvious: hooking a Big Brother device into my car so they can track my driving habits and hammer me if I gently caress up. However they claim that good/safe driving can result in a lowered insurance premium, and I'd consider myself a safe driver. I'm 31, and I've never gotten a ticket, never gotten in an accident that was my fault, I don't speed, I don't tailgate, I don't weave in and out of traffic or do hard braking/accelerating unless I'm trying to avoid an accident (rare), and generally drive like a bitch pussy loser sane adult who doesn't want to get in an accident, trapped in a world where every other driver on the road is a bloodthirsty lunatic.

My gut tells me that Snapshot is a bad idea, but I figured I'd ask here.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Both companies I've worked for closely offer the device. I have to assume Progressive is the same in that you get a discount for trying it, then you can get a further discount if you're a safe driver. If you aren't a safe driver, you don't get penalized, but you lose that introductory discount.

I don't think they can track your location but it does measure speed, hard braking, etc. I'd say it's worth it if you want to nab a discount. I don't think you can be surcharged for bad driving.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's worthwhile to try, because there won't be any increase. Sure it's a bit annoying when it beeps at you for hard braking but if you can live with it for awhile it can save you money.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jastiger posted:

Both companies I've worked for closely offer the device. I have to assume Progressive is the same in that you get a discount for trying it, then you can get a further discount if you're a safe driver. If you aren't a safe driver, you don't get penalized, but you lose that introductory discount.

I don't think they can track your location but it does measure speed, hard braking, etc. I'd say it's worth it if you want to nab a discount. I don't think you can be surcharged for bad driving.
Hmm when the Progressive guy was doing his sales pitch for Snapshot, he mentioned that my rate could go up if I do a lot of hard acceleration/braking, and it seems like a no-brainer that they'd penalize me if their device thinks I'm a hazard. Are you sure I wouldn't get penalized?

I did a google search for "progressive snapshot penalty" and "progressive snapshot increase" and came up with this:

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/03/27/bloomberg-progressive-snapshot-drivers-to-get-discounts-sooner-bad-drivers-still-will-pay-more/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-24/progressive-to-charge-risky-snapshot-drivers-more-in-new-plan

But that's kind of the only articles I'm finding about rate increases, and it's from nearly a year ago.

I mean *I* know I'm a safe driver with a great driving record, but I can't predict the future and I don't know if the Snapshot thing will find some kind of excuse to penalize me. Progressive is a business that's out to make as much money as possible, and I know they're not my "friend".

This is an interesting article I found about Snapshot:

https://blog.joemanna.com/progressive-snapshot-review/
The comments are actually worthwhile (a rarity on the internet)

The article and comments have a troubling number of people mentioning that they got a "discount" from using snapshot, but then they also got a "routine rate increase" that was conveniently within 1 dollar of their discount.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 13, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm when the Progressive guy was doing his sales pitch for Snapshot, he mentioned that my rate could go up if I do a lot of hard acceleration/braking, and it seems like a no-brainer that they'd penalize me if their device thinks I'm a hazard. Are you sure I wouldn't get penalized?

I did a google search for "progressive snapshot penalty" and "progressive snapshot increase" and came up with this:

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/03/27/bloomberg-progressive-snapshot-drivers-to-get-discounts-sooner-bad-drivers-still-will-pay-more/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-24/progressive-to-charge-risky-snapshot-drivers-more-in-new-plan

But that's kind of the only articles I'm finding about rate increases, and it's from nearly a year ago.

I mean *I* know I'm a safe driver with a great driving record, but I can't predict the future and I don't know if the Snapshot thing will find some kind of excuse to penalize me. Progressive is a business that's out to make as much money as possible, and I know they're not my "friend".

The article and comments have a troubling number of people mentioning that they got a "discount" from using snapshot, but then they also got a "routine rate increase" that was conveniently within 1 dollar of their discount.

Hmmm. Well it sounds like its a wash then. If you feel comfortable doing it, do it. If not, don't lol.

I hate to be glib but that sounds like the best advice i can give. I will say that if everyone in the US had one of these, everyone's rates would decrease, but thats a pipe dream:(

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jastiger posted:

Hmmm. Well it sounds like its a wash then. If you feel comfortable doing it, do it. If not, don't lol.

I hate to be glib but that sounds like the best advice i can give. I will say that if everyone in the US had one of these, everyone's rates would decrease, but thats a pipe dream:(

Except for all the uninsured motorists since they aren't paying poo poo to begin with.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, but if there were a way to specifically charge those with bad habits and not those with good habits, rates would go down because companies want less claims and you to stick around. You can't cut out the uninsured (though they should be punished harshly), but you can control for the ones that are.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I wouldn't be too surprised if more companies start implementing things like progressive snapshot. Market segmentation through analytics is becoming a big topic and lots of firms are trying to move into the UBI space. The savings can be substantial in some cases though so I wouldn't rule it out immediately unless you know your driving habits are high risk or are really opposed to being data mined

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Something to think about is that in general people are less likely to post about positive experiences than negative ones so those comments will be biased towards the negative end. Large auto carriers will increase their rates periodically though so it wouldn't be crazy to have a 2% discount balanced out by an annual 2% rate increase for example.

You don't really have to worry about progressive trying to screw you since the competitive market will control their rates. If you know you are a safe driver I would advise giving it a shot unless the competitors rates are significantly lower already which they may be depending on your profile.

Disclaimer that I don't work for progressive and ymmv with my advice. Also drunk posting.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm travelling out-of-state with some friends soon

Friend getting the rental car doesn't want to put anyone else on the rental agreement as a driver "because it will increase the cost of the car"

If I end up driving the car, but am not listed on the rental agreement as a driver, am I still covered by my personal auto insurance if something happens?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It depends on what state you are from and what coverages you carry on your own policy. Do you have comp and collision?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

I'm travelling out-of-state with some friends soon

Friend getting the rental car doesn't want to put anyone else on the rental agreement as a driver "because it will increase the cost of the car"

If I end up driving the car, but am not listed on the rental agreement as a driver, am I still covered by my personal auto insurance if something happens?

You give the insurance company reason to deny claim because they specifically asked and you're driving. They could consider that misrepresentation and not cover you. LIKELY if you have a good company, they are going to take care of you. As far as your friend though, he'd be screwed because he misrepresented the contract, allowed you to drive and could be on the hook for fees, penalties, etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

It depends on what state you are from and what coverages you carry on your own policy. Do you have comp and collision?

In addition to this, it depends on the contract. This is definitely a question to call and ask your insurance company because I've had plenty of cases where a relative or bf/gf have driven a rental car they aren't listed on the contract for and our coverage won't apply since they aren't contractually liable for the damages.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LongDarkNight posted:

NY and yes I have comp and collision

Thanks guys

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jastiger posted:

You give the insurance company reason to deny claim because they specifically asked and you're driving. They could consider that misrepresentation and not cover you. LIKELY if you have a good company, they are going to take care of you. As far as your friend though, he'd be screwed because he misrepresented the contract, allowed you to drive and could be on the hook for fees, penalties, etc.

Well I think there's two things here. If they purchase insurance thru the rental company and don't list him that could be ground for a denial but he's asking about his personal auto policy. His personal carrier shouldn't care if he was listed on the rental contract since they're a third party. You could maybe argue he wasn't "in legal possession of the vehicle" but I don't think that would hold up. It definitely worth calling your agent though.

EugeneJ posted:

NY and yes I have comp and collision
Thanks guys

NY regulations require that insurers pay for the rental car under your liability coverage. Still make that phone call.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 24, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah HIS company will pay for him more than likely unless you have some nonsense insurance. I was speaking more to the whole situation here, where his friend is likely getting screwed by the rental car co since they asked him and he'd be lying by saying no.

I think the poster is gonna be OK here, but his friend could get hosed :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I just leased a new car, and my insurance went from 588->788/6 months. I'd like to shop around. I live in NJ, since you work East Coast can you quote me on some different plans? I did Essurance's on line thing and got 480/6 months which is nice.

My profile is that I commute to work via bike and train, my wife doesn't work, so we only drive maybe 5-8k miles a year. Wife has no tickets for years, and an not-at-fault accident from 2009. I have one minor violation from 4/4/2013, so it's almost three years old.

What do you suggest I do?