Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If they make a new Space theme, I really don't want it to be humans vs aliens. The last few have seemed kind of space-racist.

Also I want Blacktron 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blacktron 3, this time it's black and trans orange.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
You know, I'm not really too tired of the conflict in the Space sets nowadays. The more recent Space Police had the coolest models in recent space lines, and Galaxy Squad's convertible vehicle gimmick was pretty neat, along with the bug models. That said, I really wouldn't mind just a simple sci-fi spaceship, especially if it didn't come with a opposition ship. The Spaceship x3 was a step in the right direction, even if it came with a super-wimpy Business Robot space fighter.

Also, did the Mars sets actually have a experimentation/capturing theme in them? The early ones with the triangle head Martians were a huge part of my childhood, and I can't remember anything like that, and I didn't buy any of the more recent line, though I do remember seeing the Martian capsule things in the good-guy sets.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blacktron II and M-Tron were my jam, so much neon yellow. Lego Space was better without aliens or named characters, I'm sure some of it was just me growing up but Space seemed to get kind of blah after the Spyrius line and even they weren't as cool as the stuff that came before. I kind of caught the tail end of Classic Space and the combo of Blactron I, Space Police I, and Futuron but even as a kid I thought they all held up pretty well. I think the line that hit just at the right time was Ice Planet, I was super hyped about them and I love the tacky color scheme to this day, hell yeah, neon orange.

Blacktron III.
M-Tron II.
Ice Planet II.
Do it Lego, you know you wanna.

To complete the nostalgia trip, oh man I loved this idea book

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

God Ice Planet II would own so hard.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Potential BFF posted:

Blacktron II and M-Tron were my jam, so much neon yellow. Lego Space was better without aliens or named characters, I'm sure some of it was just me growing up but Space seemed to get kind of blah after the Spyrius line and even they weren't as cool as the stuff that came before. I kind of caught the tail end of Classic Space and the combo of Blactron I, Space Police I, and Futuron but even as a kid I thought they all held up pretty well. I think the line that hit just at the right time was Ice Planet, I was super hyped about them and I love the tacky color scheme to this day, hell yeah, neon orange.

Blacktron III.
M-Tron II.
Ice Planet II.
Do it Lego, you know you wanna.

To complete the nostalgia trip, oh man I loved this idea book

Oh man, I forgot about that book. I've probably still got it at my mom's place somewhere, I haven't thought about it in probably a decade. It's awesome.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

This designer did a whole project exploring lego space, and some of his ideas are pretty good. One thing he brings up is giving the sets a more consistent design language for things like spaceship engines and whatnot, so if you're constructing, say, the interior of a space set you can then put an "engine" room in it, have a little collectible fuel source like crystals and some piping to physically connect it to engines - I think stuff like that would be good, sets that try to break away with this problem you get with lego interiors for spaceships/"bases" where the only rooms you really make are like, the room where you store all the little accessories and the room with all the computer panel pieces for the minifigs to sit at.

To spin that idea out into a space theme, I think one centred around little space outposts and colonisation efforts would be cool - every set (aside from maybe the smallest?) comes with a standard 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 module, or multiple modules, all with different uses. Some of them are built into spaceships or vehicles and can be removed, some of them are just freestanding. They're little buildings on stilts with stuff like an alien research lab (or an alien pen), a garage, hydroponic farm, canteen etc. You can connect them all together, the big "base" set can come with five or six of these buildings and the smaller sets can just have one. If you wanted to keep the conflict element within the theme, it could be more of a gold rush/frontier idea than explicit bad guys vs good guys - some sets could have space bandits or angry wildlife, all the modules could be coloured different so it seems like they were all financed by different groups.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

God Ice Planet II would own so hard.

I bet this would do really well. Kids and adults alike would love it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ice Planet 2002 was the one that landed just at the right time for me, too. I was old enough (first grade iirc) to have the attention span, imagination, and organization to imagine backstories for them and use my spare LEGO to build other stuff for them to interact with; I also reused the Deep Freeze Defender garage door in every MOC spaceship I made afterwards.

That modular components idea is really good, and would do a lot to differentiate LEGO Space from Star Wars where the concern is replicating the on-screen vehicles and vessels. It would be especially cool if the line contained, over say 2 years of production, ten different sizes of spaceship ranging from your USD$100 "main" ship to your $7.50 impulse purchase, and maybe half a dozen "bases" of similar ranges of price/size (which could come with several different colors of baseplates/flora/fauna because they landed on different planets). The real kicker would be that these could ALL be combined together, without any need to rebuild, into one big deep space exploration vessel, kind of like this:

So, yes, they would in effect be selling you a $500/5,000 piece spaceship, BUT you wouldn't have to purchase or assemble the whole thing all at once, and even if you only had half the components you could still combine the modules together to make a very cool setup, perhaps representing a later stage of the mission.

And if we're REALLY dreaming here, why not make the look of this new Space theme a visual continuation of Classic Space/Futuron, perhaps using minifigs like the green spaceman store display from 60097 City Square.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do the freebies from shop.lego.com work? Couldn't be at home to put in an order to get the easter minifig, and today when I fill my cart it puts in some dumb ninjago consolation prize. I assume that means the easter one is long gone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

How do the freebies from shop.lego.com work? Couldn't be at home to put in an order to get the easter minifig, and today when I fill my cart it puts in some dumb ninjago consolation prize. I assume that means the easter one is long gone?

I assume that too as it insta-added chicken guy yesterday.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I tried yesterday as well and it was not adding so yeah, gone was my guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's cool if I want one I'll just pay $20 for it on bricklink or something. :downs:

I hate artificial scarcity, lego knows that poo poo sells instantly so just make enough to survive the offer period.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

That's cool if I want one I'll just pay $20 for it on bricklink or something. :downs:

I hate artificial scarcity, lego knows that poo poo sells instantly so just make enough to survive the offer period.

Sell you mine for 19, friend! ;)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So I noticed that a bunch of stuff I might have wanted to get during the double VIP points period--like the UCS Slave I for example--says it's out of stock until March 23 (i.e. the day after the promotion ends...hmm) but if I placed the order now would it still double the points? Or am I just s.o.l.?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Red Bones posted:

This designer did a whole project exploring lego space, and some of his ideas are pretty good. One thing he brings up is giving the sets a more consistent design language for things like spaceship engines and whatnot, so if you're constructing, say, the interior of a space set you can then put an "engine" room in it, have a little collectible fuel source like crystals and some piping to physically connect it to engines - I think stuff like that would be good, sets that try to break away with this problem you get with lego interiors for spaceships/"bases" where the only rooms you really make are like, the room where you store all the little accessories and the room with all the computer panel pieces for the minifigs to sit at.

To spin that idea out into a space theme, I think one centred around little space outposts and colonisation efforts would be cool - every set (aside from maybe the smallest?) comes with a standard 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 module, or multiple modules, all with different uses. Some of them are built into spaceships or vehicles and can be removed, some of them are just freestanding. They're little buildings on stilts with stuff like an alien research lab (or an alien pen), a garage, hydroponic farm, canteen etc. You can connect them all together, the big "base" set can come with five or six of these buildings and the smaller sets can just have one. If you wanted to keep the conflict element within the theme, it could be more of a gold rush/frontier idea than explicit bad guys vs good guys - some sets could have space bandits or angry wildlife, all the modules could be coloured different so it seems like they were all financed by different groups.

There's some good and bad ideas in this, I think - I'm not greatly fond of the over-complicated figures for instance, part of the charm is that they are simple. And I think having EVERYTHING modular is probably a bad idea, stand alone kits are always great impulse buys or smaller presents.
I do find it amusing that half of the new pieces he suggested in the article when written (2009, after all) have actually been made now, especially the 'smaller ball joints' - the Mixel ball joints are probably one of the most useful pieces in years, and I suspect are going to become key in large sculptures soon to get better angling and such. And if this piece ends up in non-luminous colours, well... I can think of a lot of good uses for that (Not got one to try yet, but the ball is by all accounts Mixel-sized and designed to fit.)

Edit:

Apollodorus posted:

Agreed on the minifigs - the current design is great. Also the "chibi" pictures at the end are

The guy seems to have a habit of doing weird stuff like that for 'remake art' - its the guy who did the weirdly anime X-COM art/remake ideas, amongst other things.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 14, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Agreed on the minifigs - the current design is great. Also the "chibi" pictures at the end are :gonk:

That being said, I'm a little disappointed, coming back to LEGO in the last three months after a 15-year Dark Age, that TLG haven't spent the effort developing and marketing a Space theme like they have Ninjago or Chima. As I was saying above, while there was a little bit of narrative starting to creep in during my last years as a KFOL - I think the Exploriens had "Ann Droid" the robot, for instance - it was really just bare-bones tacked on to communicate some of the ideas the designers had about the theme.

I dunno, maybe Kids These DaysTM are bored with the Castle, Pirate, and Space themes and in order to attract them they need LaserCastle (Nexo Knights), SkyPirates (Ninjago), SpaceFromTheMovies (Star Wars), and of course Super Heroes, instead. If it's simply a business/marketing decision that keeps their company profitable and able to produce Creator/Creator Expert sets, then I can't really complain - but I do feel sometimes as though the flagship lines don't do nearly as much to encourage imaginative play as they used to when they were very broad, basically generic themes (like Space Police) with fewer specialized pieces. Then again, maybe that's just me starting to feel cranky now that I'm 30.

So on the subject of LEGO Space - is it just not realistic to expect TLG to produce a Space theme any more, now that they have Star Wars? Would there simply not be enough of a market? I'm SURE that AFOLs especially would absolutely flip for something like this (taken from the androidarts site listed above):

if they could use it as part of a larger Space base/city - with monorail, of course! - and populate it with Space minifigs and MOCs. But it has zero swoosh factor, of course.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Apollodorus posted:

I dunno, maybe Kids These DaysTM are bored with the Castle, Pirate, and Space themes and in order to attract them they need LaserCastle (Nexo Knights), SkyPirates (Ninjago), SpaceFromTheMovies (Star Wars), and of course Super Heroes, instead. If it's simply a business/marketing decision that keeps their company profitable and able to produce Creator/Creator Expert sets, then I can't really complain - but I do feel sometimes as though the flagship lines don't do nearly as much to encourage imaginative play as they used to when they were very broad, basically generic themes (like Space Police) with fewer specialized pieces. Then again, maybe that's just me starting to feel cranky now that I'm 30.

So on the subject of LEGO Space - is it just not realistic to expect TLG to produce a Space theme any more, now that they have Star Wars? Would there simply not be enough of a market? I'm SURE that AFOLs especially would absolutely flip for something like this (taken from the androidarts site listed above)

I love this stuff and have a new Space exploration/colonization theme is top of my "want" list. On top of any issues with regards to what Kids-These-Days are bored of, the nature of these lines changed when they made the decision that all of the adventure/fantasy lines had to be based on conflict and each individual set needed to have two seperate factions (even if imbalanced) represented in the set because that's the only way you can "play" with it out of the box*. You won't get anything like the supply depot in the image unless it has a couple of flick missiles and a tiny vehicle with a minifigure of the enemy faction. Otherwise how will anyone ever be able to play with it?

It's probably a policy born of financial nescessity (from the days when Lego was losing the war against action figures) but there are ramifications for more issues about gender stereotyping in toys and how masculinity is marketed to boys that I find interesting and unfortunate, but won't get into here.

* There are exceptions, but not many. If you look at all the traditional boxed retail sets for in-house fantastic themes marketed at boys (ie not Elves), that aren't minifigure battle packs or smaller product lines within a theme (like Chima Legendary Beasts) there are next to no sets that do not have two factions in conflict released in the last 10 (or more?) years.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 14, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just build your own space stuff.. buy any star wars set or scoop them up off craigslist to get a mountain of light grey, and bricklink a bunch of blue bricks. Go to town making all the space you want. Blacktron, M-Tron and Ice Planet colors are pretty easy too.. a little more work, but doable.

The killer is the transparent pieces though, especially canopies. Though the nexo night series might make Ice Planet easier.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gravy Jones posted:

... there are ramifications for more issues about gender stereotyping in toys and how masculinity is marketed to boys that I find interesting and unfortunate, but won't get into here.

You know this is probably the root of what's making me uncomfortable with the new direction I'm discovering in LEGO, now that you bring it up. Whenever I'm at a Target - usually not to buy LEGO - I make a point of pulling down any "girls construction toys" aisle signs if it's a store that hasn't been updated to their policy of not labeling them separately.

I'm not as concerned with being able to make MOCs as I am with kids not having a good starting point for imaginative play, frankly.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Apollodorus posted:

You know this is probably the root of what's making me uncomfortable with the new direction I'm discovering in LEGO, now that you bring it up. Whenever I'm at a Target - usually not to buy LEGO - I make a point of pulling down any "girls construction toys" aisle signs if it's a store that hasn't been updated to their policy of not labeling them separately.

I'm not as concerned with being able to make MOCs as I am with kids not having a good starting point for imaginative play, frankly.

And now some poor retail employee is ordering signage you keep destroying

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
They shouldn't be doing that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/08/13/target-will-stop-selling-toys-for-boys-or-for-girls-good/

I'm just saving them the trouble of removing it themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're not a store employee, stop loving with their signs. Complain at a manager if it offends you.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Counterpoint: sexism targeted at the most vulnerable members of society is insidious and needs to be stopped. Also I had already complained to the management a month earlier, to no apparent effect.

The one I usually go to doesn't have gendered labels any more, and had in fact already removed them before I moved to the area.

What would Ashlee Starstrider do?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Stop making people's job hard for them.

It's been a real long time since I've worked retail, but don't do that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop vandalizing private property. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Your particular brand of civil disobedience is upsetting the jort-wearing masses, Apollodorus. Conform and behave yourself.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Counterpoint: sexism targeted at the most vulnerable members of society is insidious and needs to be stopped. Also I had already complained to the management a month earlier, to no apparent effect.

I don't know man, I think your crusade is a bit silly. Gender segmenting stuff that doesn't need to be is dumb and something I want to go away, but there's a market reality that some girls actually do like "things for girls" and I don't think that's purely because they're told to like it? Tearing down some signs isn't really going to change anything. Reward the people/companies/etc that try to do well by this stuff and don't spite people who don't have power in the situation? :shrug:

On Space theme chat: Man, I'd really love new Ice Planet sets. Nothing is radder then transparent orange chainsaws and skis.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Gravy Jones posted:

Your particular brand of civil disobedience is upsetting the jort-wearing masses, Apollodorus. Conform and behave yourself.

More like stop loving with minimum-wage earners to further your own sense of social justice. Behave and don't be an rear end in a top hat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

On Space theme chat: Man, I'd really love new Ice Planet sets. Nothing is radder then transparent orange chainsaws and skis.

I had like half the nexo knights stuff in my cart yesterday, spent way too long trying to decide how to optimize the trans orange parts collecting.

No chainsaws in that theme, but there are some really cool parts in there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I had like half the nexo knights stuff in my cart yesterday, spent way too long trying to decide how to optimize the trans orange parts collecting.

No chainsaws in that theme, but there are some really cool parts in there.

Found a chainsaw, not transparent though.

I didn't actually take a good look at this line until just now. There's some really great stuff in it - Change the wheels to some white ones, change up the poles to have chainsaws on the end and you have an Ice Planet set

Man, I wish this line was around when I was younger. There's a castle on treads! And all the "Ultimate" minfigs that come with all sorts of equipment and weaponry would have been the kind of thing I loved back when I actually -played- with lego.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I can't wait for the nexo mocs to start showing up. It's a ridiculous theme and people are going to have fun with it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Wax Dynasty posted:

More like stop loving with minimum-wage earners to further your own sense of social justice. Behave and don't be an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not patronizing that Target again so I guess they're safe from my minimal-effort social justice crusade.

Oxyclean posted:

Found a chainsaw, not transparent though.

I didn't actually take a good look at this line until just now. There's some really great stuff in it - Change the wheels to some white ones, change up the poles to have chainsaws on the end and you have an Ice Planet set

Man, I wish this line was around when I was younger. There's a castle on treads! And all the "Ultimate" minfigs that come with all sorts of equipment and weaponry would have been the kind of thing I loved back when I actually -played- with lego.

The way the Fortrex connects to Merlok's Library is pretty rad, for sure. The Nexo Knights aesthetic essentially looks like Warhammer 40,000 but made by a competent company that doesn't hate its customers. Not my bag, but it's definitely a nift idea. And yeah, Ice Planet MOC fodder should be showing up on BrickLink soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

No
It's borderline SJW garbage that's making other people have to work harder.

If you want your kids to know about gender issues, teach them yourself.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Norns posted:

It's borderline robocop garbage that's making other people have to work harder.

:lol:

Norns posted:

It's borderline SJW garbage that's making other people have to work harder

Even more :lol:

Don't mind me. I just find the level of outrage (jortrage?) that elevates this to behaivour of robocopian proportions hilarious.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 14, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Try typing S J W.

The forums autocorrect it. I just left it.

But hey glad you got a laugh

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
You learned me. But still of all the things going on in the world, this one thing that a guy said he did that he probably didn't actually do.... the outrage is just so above and beyond what it deserves. It was a laugh I need.

And this is from someone who teaches their kid about all kinds of social issues, including not making life more difficult for people who have lovely jobs because you too, will have a lovely job one day. So I'm down with not loving with people's day-to-day. I just wish people could muster the same level of outrage for bigger issues.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 14, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah I'm real worked up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh I definitely did it. It took literally 5 seconds, which was less time than submitting a formal complaint did when I noticed the issue the previous visit.

I'm basically Gandhi, in white American form.

Oh poo poo, do the right components out there exist to make a minifig Gandhi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Apollodorus posted:

Oh I definitely did it. It took literally 5 seconds

quote:

Oh poo poo, do the right components out there exist to make a minifig Gandhi?

That's a whole 'nother can of robocop worms. You can get a Ben Kinsley minifigure form the Prince of Persia set though!