Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey goons, Microsoft started offering their booster packs again, 1 exam and 4 retakes for 200 bucks. Applies to any exam iirc.

e: Here's a link now that I'm not on my phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/partner-offers.aspx

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

Passed CCNP - route 923/1000 :toot:

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After I got surprised on Switch by some of the questions, I made sure to go through the exam topics and read through all the small random subjects because I felt like the one you're not 100% on is inevitably the subject you'll get asked about the most, haha.

:hfive:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jeoh posted:

Hey goons, Microsoft started offering their booster packs again, 1 exam and 4 retakes for 200 bucks. Applies to any exam iirc.

e: Here's a link now that I'm not on my phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/partner-offers.aspx

Haha. They make their MCSA tests artificially hard and then sell deals where you get 3 retakes.

"Boost the odds in your favor. Choose your Booster Pack and get ready to soar!"

The odds... I thought this was a test, not a gamble. I guess it is, you have to read and remember whatever minutia they test on that day.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting from the Home Lab thread because nobody reads it:

Is there a good GNS3 CCNA/CCNP workbook? All of the prep books are either really theory heavy or not geared specifically to GNS3, and I find that Lammle's book really dumbs everything down while the Odom book drags everything out way too much. 

I'd like a step-by-step exercise guide for setting up every lab in the syllabus specifically in GNS3. Any recommendations?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Going through some sample questions on the training guide for 70-410 and one of them asked to choose all possible reasons something could fail. They all looked feasible and when I looked in the answers, it said three were correct and I should have chosen D because it was "possible but unlikely". :what:

E: specifically Windows update site being down would stop binaries being downloaded to install a feature is merely technically correct but an invalid answer because Microsoft tries really hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

Does that sort of bullshit really happen in the exam?

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

Going through some sample questions on the training guide for 70-410 and one of them asked to choose all possible reasons something could fail. They all looked feasible and when I looked in the answers, it said three were correct and I should have chosen D because it was "possible but unlikely". :what:

E: specifically Windows update site being down would stop binaries being downloaded to install a feature is merely technically correct but an invalid answer because Microsoft tries really hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

Does that sort of bullshit really happen in the exam?

Having gone through the whole MCSA track: emphatically yes

Their tests are so full of poo poo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just passed MCSA Server 2012 last month so I can tell you that yes, the 70-41x series is a pile of crap. That said, the key is to get used to the Microsoft style of questions. If you've done CompTIA exams before, then this is a whole other world. Check for red herrings and sneaky key words that can steer your answer in one direction or another entirely. Learn your stuff, but go through as many practice exams as you can because just knowing your stuff isn't enough. Also, make sure that your practice exams are as recent as possible because I took the 70-410 late last year and did a re-test this year and the exam style has changed a fair bit, though fortunately that is in your favour.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I keep thinking that the 70-410 material looks so easy, and that it's stuff I do on a regular basis that I could knock it out quickly, but then I hear all the horror stories (and I know that 411 and 412 are harder).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Chickenwalker posted:

Crossposting from the Home Lab thread because nobody reads it:

Is there a good GNS3 CCNA/CCNP workbook? All of the prep books are either really theory heavy or not geared specifically to GNS3, and I find that Lammle's book really dumbs everything down while the Odom book drags everything out way too much. 

I'd like a step-by-step exercise guide for setting up every lab in the syllabus specifically in GNS3. Any recommendations?

No one ever answered you, so I'll say this - I don't know of anything like that for GNS3. The CBTNuggets videos walk you through stuff, and they primarily use GNS3, but that's of course not a book.

The other alternative is not-GNS3, as in, Boson NetSim. It's pretty pricey but they have guided walk-throughs for just about every aspect of CCNA (and they have a CCNP-level sim that I have no experience with). They come with lab instructions that are shown concurrently as you work through the lab, and you can print them out if you want.

I'm pretty happy with it. There's a few sporadic commands that aren't in there (like hardcoding speed and full-duplex, etc) and with the CCNA level, there's a few "unsupported" commands that you need to purchase the CCNP level sim to use (passive-interface when configuring OSPF, channel-group to configure EtherChannel, etc.). One advantage it has over GNS3 is full simulation of switches.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jeoh posted:

I'm sister act 2'ing my certs for the 70-646 to finally get the MCSA for 08 and this was a delightful surprise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Passed Security+. Cleared it with room to spare but it wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Half the time the answer is right in the question though, so at least there's plenty of low-hanging fruit to be had. It would be something silly like: "Joe wants to control the network blah blah blah. What should he use?" Answer: ACL.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's good to know. Wgu wants to throw the a+ at me first, but I need to pass S+ before June 10 to keep my N+ active. I've passed some practice exams for the S+ already and have done extra studying for it, but the time crunch is coming up. Good to know they don't throw a whole bunch of bullshit questions in there that requires extra study time.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ok bear with me here.

I am now studying for my 640-916 and it is dipping into virtualization with the Nexus 1000v.

The most I have ever done with VMWare was run Fusion on my Mac so I can have access to Windows when in the Mac OS.

Is there a crash course on VMWare/ESXi and such?

I thought all I needed was VMWare Workstation Pro so that I could then boot up the Nexus 1000v and dink around with it.

Being where I work, the server/VM and Network teams are pretty heavily segregated. They drop in a server and ask for network resources and we provide that. We really dont run anything on the systems for our own servers at all for the business, so looking for a primer is what I need I guess. I need to get a base understanding of the concepts involved in running a server with a VM environment. What would you guys recommend?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Honestly, the 1000v is dead or at least dying. It's a pain to manage and the benefits over the dvSwitch are mostly non-existent these days. But you can install esxi for free and create a nested lab with the built in 60 day trial license.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah but it's on the exam objectives soooo

And on the other part, installing ESXi and such, like I said I need a primer to I can get familiar somewhat, with the VMWare side of things, the basics...uh..basically.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 17, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's good to know. Wgu wants to throw the a+ at me first, but I need to pass S+ before June 10 to keep my N+ active. I've passed some practice exams for the S+ already and have done extra studying for it, but the time crunch is coming up. Good to know they don't throw a whole bunch of bullshit questions in there that requires extra study time.

I've been thinking about going to WGU to finish up my degree. How many credits are the A/N/S+, CCNA, ITIL, etc worth? Like could I apply and have a solid year done already?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been thinking about going to WGU to finish up my degree. How many credits are the A/N/S+, CCNA, ITIL, etc worth? Like could I apply and have a solid year done already?

I know CCNA is worth 19 credits ("CEUs", I think they call them) if you do the Security track. I talked to an advisor a few weeks ago who told me that. Couldn't tell you the others though.

Edit: I pretty much decided I'm not gonna do it for now, but based on my interactions with them I'd encourage you to start the initial application process and talk to an advisor if you're at all interested. They're not pushy and I, at least, got texted a code that waived the application fee, so it was free anyway.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do you have an associates degree?

ITIL will maaayyybe get you out of 1 course. CCNA knocks out 2 courses. A+ and S+ knocks out 1 course each. N+ knocks out two courses. So that's 5 courses down, and the certification courses are the longer ones so that's a good chunk of progress. If you have an associates, you'll be halfway done already, and you could easily finish in a year without straining your schedule.

I have an associates, CCNA, N+ and I still plan on finishing in 1 year. I have 18 courses to finish in 12 months time, with 7 of those being certificates (A+, S+, Project+, Linux+, CCNA Security).

One thing I didn't know before contacting them is that you take 1 course at a time, and as soon as you finish your course the next one unlocks. You don't have to worry about overloading your schedule at the start of a term, you just go until it's done.

If you're eligible for federal Pell grants you can expect to pay around $150 out of pocket for tuition per term. It's insanely inexpensive.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Do you have an associates degree?

ITIL will maaayyybe get you out of 1 course. CCNA knocks out 2 courses. A+ and S+ knocks out 1 course each. N+ knocks out two courses. So that's 5 courses down, and the certification courses are the longer ones so that's a good chunk of progress. If you have an associates, you'll be halfway done already, and you could easily finish in a year without straining your schedule.

I have an associates, CCNA, N+ and I still plan on finishing in 1 year. I have 18 courses to finish in 12 months time, with 7 of those being certificates (A+, S+, Project+, Linux+, CCNA Security).

One thing I didn't know before contacting them is that you take 1 course at a time, and as soon as you finish your course the next one unlocks. You don't have to worry about overloading your schedule at the start of a term, you just go until it's done.

If you're eligible for federal Pell grants you can expect to pay around $150 out of pocket for tuition per term. It's insanely inexpensive.

Thanks for the info! Really gives me a good idea of what I could possibly do. No associates, I dropped out like an idiot after 3 years at a state school. It's been 6 years at this point so I dont even know if my credits would transfer. But if I could knock a year out just based on certs I have it makes WGU more appealing. I wouldn't apply for grants and would be just trying to pay for school myself and through partial work reimbursement.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ITIL is worth 0. I have the cert and it didn't cover any of the IT Security course load.

Project+ - 4 credit units (Just completed this for WGU, dry but fairly easy)
A+ - 8 credit units
Security+ - 4 credit units
CCNA - 19 credit units
CCNA: Security - 6 credit units
Linux+ or MCSA 08/12 - 8 credit units

I think that's it. Some other more esoteric certs (Oracle Certified Java Programmer, IBM DB2 Certified Admin) can knock out their respective programming or database courses but I doubt too many people have or even want those.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the info! Really gives me a good idea of what I could possibly do. No associates, I dropped out like an idiot after 3 years at a state school. It's been 6 years at this point so I dont even know if my credits would transfer. But if I could knock a year out just based on certs I have it makes WGU more appealing. I wouldn't apply for grants and would be just trying to pay for school myself and through partial work reimbursement.
They would transfer as long as it's an accredited university and you passed with a C or above. My transcripts were 15 years old and they didn't give me an issue.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 17, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does anyone have experience with the alternate MCSA offerings instead of the 412? I'd like to learn some sql so I'd at least have some potential talking point during interviews for other positions. Also with a bunch of stuff moving to O365 that seems like s viable option as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah but it's on the exam objectives soooo

And on the other part, installing ESXi and such, like I said I need a primer to I can get familiar somewhat, with the VMWare side of things, the basics...uh..basically.

I know it's on the objectives, I'm just saying not to spend too much time getting deeply familiar with it because you don't see many of them in the field anymore.

There's a bunch of articles on creating a nested ESXi home lab. Do have a spare PC you can install ESXi on, or a Workstation license on a labtop/desktop with a good amount of memory?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Got a Workstation 12 license for my workstation laptop with 16GB of Ram and a Core i7 2.7 CPU. Im not needing anything intensive, but to play around with and to familiarize myself with the setup and all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Got a Workstation 12 license for my workstation laptop with 16GB of Ram and a Core i7 2.7 CPU. Im not needing anything intensive, but to play around with and to familiarize myself with the setup and all.

This Guy has an pretty detailed blog series on setting up a nested lab in Workstation. It's probably overkill as the actual setup is fairly easy. Once you've been through it once you won't really need a reference because the basics of getting ESXi and VCenter installed with the VCSA are pretty easy.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks I will give this a look.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Hey, I'm trying to get started in IT and am having trouble landing helpdesk jobs. At my last job, about 30% of my time was spent providing desktop support, but it was not a dedicated IT position. Is the information in the OP about A+ and N+ being a good place to start still valid? Also, I am a terrible, terrible self-directed learner and so I'm thinking about taking classroom courses to add some structure to my studying. Would it be crazy to spend about $2k on each of the courses? Can I expect callbacks for entry level positions with a small amount of experience and one or both of those certs?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I got my first IT job with 0 experience, a somewhat unrelated associates degree, and an A+. It will definitely get you in the door. That said, 2k for my A+ is something I would never even consider.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Classroom courses for CompTIA is waaayyyy overkill. Do an online course. You'll still have an instructor that leads you through things. It will be up to you to sit down and watch the videos and take notes, but honestly if you can't do that you're not ready to succeed anyway.

Udemy has courses @ $20 or so and should cover everything you need for some entry exams. You will never get $2000 worth out of a CompTIA cert so yes that's absolutely crazy.

$2000 is worth a CCNA course, a Microsoft cert, and is a cheap deal for VMWare.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
You need to have, or develop, some semblance of ability for self-directed study in order to do well in IT, in my opinion (because A+ won't be the last cert you get if you want to ever move out of desktop support). And A+ would be a decent place to start.

Honestly between the Mike Meyers book and ProfessorMesser.com's videos, I think it's structured enough.

But yeah, A+ should help get you your first IT job, but I also would never drop $2k for a set of courses covering it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Registered for the CCIE R&S written because it came free with my Cisco Live registration. $400 exam attempt for free? Why not!

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for the advice, guys. Really appreciate it. I'll hit the books a little harder and see if I can make some better headway. Honestly, I have no problem with the concepts and generally enjoy learning new things, but I balk when facing rote memorization of specifications that I would likely be able to Google if I needed them in a real world setting. I hadn't seen Professor Messer's videos, so I'll check those out. Hopefully they can make some of the things I'm having trouble with seem more relevant or easier to approach.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BrianRx posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. Really appreciate it. I'll hit the books a little harder and see if I can make some better headway. Honestly, I have no problem with the concepts and generally enjoy learning new things, but I balk when facing rote memorization of specifications that I would likely be able to Google if I needed them in a real world setting. I hadn't seen Professor Messer's videos, so I'll check those out. Hopefully they can make some of the things I'm having trouble with seem more relevant or easier to approach.

For what it's worth, A+ is one of the more annoying ones as far as it requiring memorization of random minutia. I don't think it'd hurt to just skip it and do N+ if you're confident in your basic fundamentals of the inner workings of a computer (what basically happens when a computer boots, can you identify DVI versus DisplayPort, etc).

N+ is still a lot of memorization but it gives you a conceptualization of networking that was, to me, a lot more interesting. Plus it's a good lead-in to CCENT/CCNA which I've honestly had fun studying for.

Just something to consider - ProfessorMesser also has free videos for it, too. I used his stuff for all three (A+/N+/S+) of the CompTIA exams.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

NippleFloss posted:

This Guy has an pretty detailed blog series on setting up a nested lab in Workstation. It's probably overkill as the actual setup is fairly easy. Once you've been through it once you won't really need a reference because the basics of getting ESXi and VCenter installed with the VCSA are pretty easy.

Might also want to look at Autolab if you want to learn more about vCenter/vSphere beyond just running the 1000v although 16GB of RAM may be a bit tight to build a full Autolab environment.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Paging MrBigglesworth. The appendix for 640-911 talks about a lot of Cisco-centric features that exist on Nexus gear without explaining what it is in any great detail.

Did you find product-based question on your exam run were basic "this feature is supported by model xyz" or did they get into any gritty about stuff like FCoE, CPU share, whatever.

I was so close to being through this part of the studying phase so this extra appendix for poo poo that should appear on the next exam is giving me a chapped rear end.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Without breaking the NDA, go over these pages.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/11931536/how-restore-cisco-nexus-switch-loader-prompt

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_--_Troubleshooting_Installs,_Upgrades,_and_Reboots

You will need to know some specific license type stuff.

There are some charts I found but cant find now that I had printed out that have a license breakdown or feature set for a device.

Know that most of your Nexus stuff can do VPC by default, but you will need a license/feature enablement for other stuff, it isnt "terrible" so much as it really is reference that should be left up to lookup in the field, not rote memorization for a friggin test.

Lookup Golden BIOS and Callhome and go over some of that stuff.

You will likely get questions like, what is 4 RUs that support XY ports and specific features.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Much appreciated :hfive:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Udemy has courses @ $20 or so and should cover everything you need for some entry exams.
The Mike Meyer's A+ and Net+ videos on there are great (they're the same ones he has on his website) and actually a lot of fun to sit through. Udemy seems to often have sales too, which is how I picked up the Net+ for $10.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
not really a cert but i finished my BS 6 months earlier than planned through WGU today, 36 credits this term with a full time job and kid :shepface:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

drat dude that's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

not really a cert but i finished my BS 6 months earlier than planned through WGU today, 36 credits this term with a full time job and kid :shepface:

Congrats!