Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DancingShade posted:

Ok trip report: Federal assault ship with a large beam laser up top and 3 plasma accelerators down below is hilarious. You can 3 shot a gunship :v:

I was running a 3 PAC setup on my FDL and it worked great other than the power drain being a bit extreme so it probably works better on the FAS with 2M1L instead of 2M1H. I'd run a gimbaled pulse on top though and maybe replace that with a MC once 2.1 hits.

PAC plus MC is my favourite weapon setup so I'm glad that it will be able to be run on more ships soon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Ok trip report: Federal assault ship with a large beam laser up top and 3 plasma accelerators down below is hilarious. You can 3 shot a gunship :v:

Three shotguns + a beam is also fun for ripping apart hulls quickly. Runs out of ammo pretty fast though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sundowner posted:

I'm finally soon going to be able to get back on Elite after being forced into a 2 week gaming hiatus due to a 'sploded GPU. Ever since I've had Pavlovian fever dreams about using burst lasers but I know they're obviously power and heat hungry.

Knowing that fact I basically never messed with them too much and stuck to pulse and beam... so, what ships work best to manage the power and the heat build up of burst lasers so you can achieve decent sustained fire? The diamondbacks?

Diamondback scout with 2 small burst lasers and 2 medium multicannons.

Nothing can really monoboat burst lasers because they're as power hungry as beams only they don't run as hot.

I also had some good results using 2 large burst lasers on the imperial clipper with 2 medium frag cannons.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

DancingShade posted:

Diamondback scout with 2 small burst lasers and 2 medium multicannons.

Nothing can really monoboat burst lasers because they're as power hungry as beams only they don't run as hot.

I also had some good results using 2 large burst lasers on the imperial clipper with 2 medium frag cannons.

Well I have a Clipper so I guess I'll try them on that when I can log back on though I'd prefer a smaller ship for RES hunting. I've actually been thinking about side-grading to a Python out of my Clipper so I can do everything the Clipper does but with medium pad access. How does the Python manage heat/power? I don't want to monoboat anyway, I like to have variety be it equipping cannons or missiles but I just want those bursts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Python manages heat & power great. You have to commit to combat with any interdictions though because it doesn't have the gently caress-off grade of speed the Clipper has.

That being said you can absolutely make it into a PVE murder machine. The A7 distributor will support nearly any combo you feel like.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

DancingShade posted:

The Python manages heat & power great. You have to commit to combat with any interdictions though because it doesn't have the gently caress-off grade of speed the Clipper has.

That being said you can absolutely make it into a PVE murder machine. The A7 distributor will support nearly any combo you feel like.

Yeah it's hard to give up the Clipper because of it's speed. Instead I'll probably just hit the grindstone for more credits and buy a Python outright so I have the option. I love using my Clipper for mining.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Clippers seem to be able to do everything the FAS can except maneuver well and be not a colossal target. I guess those are pretty important things though

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Like a bunch of others, I've recently gotten bit by the exploration bug. So I've been reading around and putting together a ship for super deep space exploration.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D3D5D5C----------370c0c0c432i2f.AwRj4jTZZUg=.Aw18WQ==

My goal is to eventually make it all the way over to Beagle Point, but otherwise to just fly around and look at the pretty stars. Anything you guys would change about that ship build? For what it's worth, I don't have Horizons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleNegative posted:

Like a bunch of others, I've recently gotten bit by the exploration bug. So I've been reading around and putting together a ship for super deep space exploration.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D3D5D5C----------370c0c0c432i2f.AwRj4jTZZUg=.Aw18WQ==

My goal is to eventually make it all the way over to Beagle Point, but otherwise to just fly around and look at the pretty stars. Anything you guys would change about that ship build? For what it's worth, I don't have Horizons.

Put a bigger shield on that for when you get interdicted by a faster NPC on your return and explode before you can turn in 6 months of data. (personal gut feeling, feel free to ignore)

Also if you're paranoid about accidentally jumping into a worst case scenario binary system where you overheat and get pulled out of frameshift immediately, pack a rack of heatsinks too.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 13, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Put a bigger shield on that for when you get interdicted by a faster NPC on your return and explode before you can turn in 6 months of data. (personal gut feeling, feel free to ignore)

Also if you're paranoid about accidentally jumping into a worst case scenario binary system where you overheat and get pulled out of frameshift immediately, pack a rack of heatsinks too.

Ooh, those are both really good ideas. I barely lose any jump range by shooting up to a 3A shield, like maybe 0.3Ly. And the cost is relatively cheap compared to the other parts. The only thing that has me a little worried is that the power plant is up to 92% capacity with all nonessential systems offline.

Nevermind. I can lose a few more tenths of a Ly of jump range and just upgrade the power plant. I think that's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DoubleNegative posted:

Get horizons. :D

Only half-kidding. It changes the dynamic of what you want to bring and why a fair bit, which is always fun. The elements you can pick up on moons and planets make exploring a lot easier — range boosts and AFM refills immediately come to mind. That said, it also reduces your range a bit since you have to cart along the SRV bay(s). In Horizons, your thrusters also become a consideration — it's awfully embarrassing to spot a nice planet, half-crash onto it, and then not get back out because your thrust is inadequate (and similarly, because your power distributor is too weak and you can't even boost your way out).

Other than that, as mentioned, heat sinks will probably save your bacon at one point or another.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

A 3D shield is fine, it's what I used for smuggling, which involves way more interdictions than the one or two that you'll experience on your way back into the bubble. The asp is as good at running away as it is at everything else, and the difference between 3A and 3D is not that substantial.

Your fit is solid, I would only change two things: you're only using a 5A scoop, so drop that down to the 5 slot and use the 6 slot for one of your AFMUs, whatever letter grade you can afford. Without Horizons you can't refill them, so this will make a huge difference in your ability to repair. Also, jump up to a 3A power plant. If your plant is damaged it can malfunction and temporarily fluctuate to as low as 40% power output. To keep this from loving you while in supercruise, you want to be able to run FSD and thrusters (and in my opinion life support) on 40% power. Luckily the asp can do this on a 3A for only 1.2 tons extra. I'd probably bring at least one heat sink, also

Edit: my power management example was all hosed up, fixed it. I should really stop posting fits on mobile

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Or just fit a 6B scoop instead. It's cheaper and quicker than the 5A.

In fact if you can afford it, fit the 6A.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Oh true, that's a way better compromise. I misremembered the 6B as being lovely cost for performance for some reason.

Something like this, then

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some videos.

1. Someone managed to make the game even more boring, but also validated FDEVs claims about 1:1 scale seamless star systems (from surface to orbit to another object) with some degree of orbital mechanics for Horizons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI

2. A pretty cool canyon run Oculus Rift video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4

3. Nice timelapse video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EzfqeFgKw

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Anyone here use specifically the EDTracker in Elite? What do you think of it?

Once I'm able to actually buy headtracking I think this is the one I want to go for because it's just a little box that doesn't involve camera poo poo and it's cheap and UK based.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Oh true, that's a way better compromise. I misremembered the 6B as being lovely cost for performance for some reason.

Something like this, then

Thanks for all the feedback and help, everyone! Looks like I've got some more overtime to put in to get the ship properly outfitted, but hey that's what bounties and rares are for.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sundowner posted:

Once I'm able to actually buy headtracking I think this is the one I want to go for because it's just a little box that doesn't involve camera poo poo and it's cheap and UK based.
I built two, a 6050 version and a 9150 one. They both work (or worked, I broke the USB port off the first one) great. The 9150 is definitely superior though.

I don't use it all the time, because I'm a weirdo who can't stand wearing things on his head for extended periods. But it definitely does the job.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

tooterfish posted:

I built two, a 6050 version and a 9150 one. They both work (or worked, I broke the USB port off the first one) great. The 9150 is definitely superior though.

I don't use it all the time, because I'm a weirdo who can't stand wearing things on his head for extended periods. But it definitely does the job.

What's the difference between those two numbers? :v:

And yeah, I actually start getting sick of wearing headphones after like 45 minutes so I usually use speakers or earbuds so that's an issue but if the tracking ends up clicking for me I'm sure I can live with it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's the MPU model they're based on. Probably not relevant unless you plan on building one yourself, all the ones you can buy are 9150 based now AFAIK.

The 6050 only has accelerometers, so it can only detect movement, not absolute direction. This means it would drift off centre after a while (between half an hour and an hour), and you'd have to reset it (or look sideways at your monitor). Not a major pain, but resetting it multiple times would make it get progressively worse in my experience, and I'd have to fully recalibrate it every now and again.

The 9150 has a magnetometer (i.e. a compass) as well as accelerometers, so it doesn't drift at all.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

tooterfish posted:

The 9150 has a magnetometer (i.e. a compass) as well as accelerometers, so it doesn't drift at all.

Ah yeah I read about that actually, just didn't know the specifics it seems. I figure I could build one but I'll probably just buy the £45 whole-package because I'm lazy.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Well, this got interesting. Loaded up the game to find that my SRV spawned underneath the terrain mesh and started tumbling through the empty void towards the center of the planet. A few interesting notes:

- The altimeter reads at a steady -1m, though I'm definitely hundreds of km below the surface and still falling. All of the other instruments are working normally.
- Max speed is still about ~500 m/s in the SRV
- Your HUD speed is calculated only as the speed in the direction you're pointing. It reads anywhere from 500 to -500 depending on where I turn.
- Your rotational thrusters can get you spinning pretty fast, but you do slow down over time with or without drive assist turned on
- Your wheels spin freely, but will only spin forwards if your HUD speed is positive and only backwards if it's negative
- The turret has some weird behavior when you're tumbling around rapidly. It gets thrown around by the movement instead of remaining fixed in place
- Calling in my ship causes it to teleport in just a few km above me, well inside of the planet surface. It immediately flies straight up for a bit and frameshifts out.

Ngaledi, as seen from inside the first planet:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

^^hah, nice!^^

If I turn my graphics settings right up, my crappy computer will poo poo itself when drawing planet surfaces and occasionally leave blank patches. You can actually see right through the planet to the underside of the opposite surface sometimes, and the parallax effects really drive home just how big planets actually are.

Sundowner posted:

Ah yeah I read about that actually, just didn't know the specifics it seems. I figure I could build one but I'll probably just buy the £45 whole-package because I'm lazy.
They're developing a wireless version at the moment.

I think it's more or less finished, they're just going through the certification process. It might be worth waiting for that.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 14, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

tooterfish posted:

They're developing a wireless version at the moment.

I think it's more or less finished, they're just going through the certification process. It might be worth waiting for that.

Nice. It'll probably be a while before I look into buying head tracking anyway so maybe it'll be out by then.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
snip- double post??

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Dante80 posted:

Some videos.

2. A pretty cool canyon run Oculus Rift video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4

Thats a dk2 right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Every time someone in here posts something anywhere near a black hole or other highly dense object like a white dwarf, I freak the gently caress out

I don't know why, just something about approaching one gives me the heebie loving creepies

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think it's the excellent audio design the game has. It creates the atmosphere so well. Even when you watch a video without it, your memories of those sounds affect your perception of what you're seeing.

If the game just played a clown noise when you bounced off a star, they wouldn't be scary at all. It's not like they're actually dangerous unless you do dumb things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't know, man, I remember nearly exploding 'cos I jumped toward a white dwarf, tabbed in like three seconds after the jump completed, and found myself dropped out of cruise because I was turning into a nuclear crisp. It was fast and scared the hell out of me :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

timn posted:

Well, this got interesting. Loaded up the game to find that my SRV spawned underneath the terrain mesh and started tumbling through the empty void towards the center of the planet. A few interesting notes:

- The altimeter reads at a steady -1m, though I'm definitely hundreds of km below the surface and still falling. All of the other instruments are working normally.
- Max speed is still about ~500 m/s in the SRV
- Your HUD speed is calculated only as the speed in the direction you're pointing. It reads anywhere from 500 to -500 depending on where I turn.
- Your rotational thrusters can get you spinning pretty fast, but you do slow down over time with or without drive assist turned on
- Your wheels spin freely, but will only spin forwards if your HUD speed is positive and only backwards if it's negative
- The turret has some weird behavior when you're tumbling around rapidly. It gets thrown around by the movement instead of remaining fixed in place
- Calling in my ship causes it to teleport in just a few km above me, well inside of the planet surface. It immediately flies straight up for a bit and frameshifts out.

Ngaledi, as seen from inside the first planet:

This is beautiful, thank you for recording all of this for posterity. It may interest you to know that dying in an SRV currently respawns you in your ship with a fresh one. They got sick of Distant Worlds contacting customer support requesting replacement SRVs because of the explosion bug. :v:

Ciaphas posted:

Every time someone in here posts something anywhere near a black hole or other highly dense object like a white dwarf, I freak the gently caress out

I don't know why, just something about approaching one gives me the heebie loving creepies

This is a perfectly reasonable reaction. I lured my best friend into this game and the first time he came face to face with a gas giant, he ran away. As in maneuvered so he wouldn't have to look at it, entered supercruise as quickly as possible, and returned to the station where he felt safe. This is a person with no VR or head tracking.

Space madness is real.

Sundowner posted:

Nice. It'll probably be a while before I look into buying head tracking anyway so maybe it'll be out by then.

You can build your own head tracking (no phone) for like 35 USD. It's loving amazing and I cannot recommend it enough. My expensive wireless headphones never leave my desk because there's a TrackIR tethering them to it and rendering them pointless, and I have no regrets.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Asimov posted:

If you're washing dishes, do you worry about getting interdicted and killed? How dangerous is it to go AFK while exploring and risk losing all your data?
If you're wandering away from the computer for a while, make sure you're not pointed at any stars or planets. Even if you're at 0 throttle in supercruise.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/02A4D5A3D3D3D5C---00020202330q432f2i.AwRj4yKA.CwBjEYCYGYzHLmDEwg==

Just in case you were putting in the AMFUs in order to fill space, you can ditch most of them and save a lot of money.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know, man, I remember nearly exploding 'cos I jumped toward a white dwarf, tabbed in like three seconds after the jump completed, and found myself dropped out of cruise because I was turning into a nuclear crisp. It was fast and scared the hell out of me :(

Yeah. First time I jumped into a white dwarf I see the exlusion zone and Im saying "drat thats a pretty wide zone for something that small" then my entire system started cooking itself and I was dropping out of supercruise. It leaves an impact

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 14, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DreadLlama posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/02A4D5A3D3D3D5C---00020202330q432f2i.AwRj4yKA.CwBjEYCYGYzHLmDEwg==

Just in case you were putting in the AMFUs in order to fill space, you can ditch most of them and save a lot of money.

Use a B grade AFMU because it can repair more and weighing 400% more than something that has a weight of 0 still means it's weight is 0.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Update on my journey to the center of Ngaledi 1:

- You might have noticed that the force of gravity from a planet decreases as you get farther from the surface, cause that's how gravity works. What I'm seeing here is that it also decreases as you fall below the surface. Ngaledi 1 has a surface gravity of 0.66g, but as I've fallen inwards the gravity has slowly decreased to an apparent minimum of 0.01g according to the hud.

- At about 0.02g rotational thrusters stopped doing anything for some reason, leaving my heading locked in place. I could still fire my lift thrusters but it was impossible to tell if they were doing anything or not while I was falling at 500 m/s.

- At some point I must have passed the center because gravity started ticking back upwards and the fall rate indicator quickly flipped from being maxed at the bottom to being maxed at the top. Rotational thrusters started working again at about 0.03-0.04g.

- Around this point the radar gets a little weird(er) and starts occasionally rendering a full cylinder or random swatches of flat orange 'terrain'.

- At about 0.08g I slowed down enough to start falling again. I was able to use my lift thrusters to get fairly stationary and tried calling my ship a few times. It would attempt to 'land' nearby at the same altitude as me and then boost off and frameshift out.

- Near the center I was completely surrounded on all sides by the peach-orange fog. It felt like some kind of Homeworld-esque space purgatory.

Unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to leave this on for hours while gravity swings me back forth to see if I'll actually converge on the center. I actually hit the ~500 m/s max speed again before passing the center a second time, so I think you'd have to spend forever using thrusters to make a controlled descent. I'm guessing you'd just get stuck in place there without anything else interesting to see or do.

Quitting and reloading spawned me about 25ft above the surface for a firm landing back to reality.

EDIT: If I have one thing to show for this, my SRV travel distance on my stats page is now a cool 6.51MM :v:

timn fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 14, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Good point, the DBE is amazing for budget 'sploring. But he said he wanted to go to Beagle Point and doesn't have Horizons, which means Asp. Iirc you need 33.8+ range to get across the Abyss without boosts, and the thought of crossing the galaxy to get there on a minute and a half refuel time makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Also you probably already know this but it's worth noting for others that the AFMUs soak heat damage for 0 weight; they aren't just there to fill space. Throw some Es in there if you're broke, and when you fly directly into a neutron star because you're watching The Expanse on the other monitor, your power plant will thank you

Astroniomix posted:

Use a B grade AFMU because it can repair more and weighing 400% more than something that has a weight of 0 still means it's weight is 0.

This is true, I forget that because I'm a Horizons-haver and I can refill mine, so I got As for faster repair times. Something like THIS, then. :P Brings the price down to 25mil which is drat fine.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 14, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sundowner posted:

I have one and love it. It really gives you a sense of scale of the stuff you're flying around when you can look up in your cockpit and see it above you.

Figure out what you're going to attach it to though. I ended up taping mine to a baseball cap.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

timn posted:

If I have one thing to show for this, my SRV travel distance on my stats page is now a cool 6.51MM :v:

Check your exploration rank, depending on how far you are from Sol distance driven counts!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
My Rift CV one ships in two weeks and I am considering buying Elite Dangerous to explore the universe.

My question is whether or not the Horizons expansion adds anything worth while other than the flying and landing on planets? That flying through canyons video looks sweet, but are there any new ships or weapons you get with that expansion pack that make it worth while?

The idea of floating through the black of space in VR is extremely exciting, and until NMS comes out I need my space fix, this looks pretty good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I would say that if flying through canyons and driving around on the surface isn't in and of itself worthwhile, Horizons isn't for you. That said you can find mineral deposits with your rover that you can harvest and craft into things like rover fuel, small amounts of high-power ammo and one-shot hyperdrive range boosts.

• Locked thread