Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's insane. I've never worked anywhere where pastry wasn't in by 8am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

PhoenixShen posted:

Interesting. I work at a smallish restaurant and start most days at noon. We start service at 5, and I have all the bread (4 kinds,) desserts and the garmo station to complete plus mentor a fresh out of culinary school kid. I've been trying to argue that I should be allowed in the building earlier in the day, but the head chef seems to think noon or 1pm start time is normal.

Our pastry chef is normally in the building at 6:00 am or 4:00 am to do her thing. I can't imagine cranking out all that bread in less time. I think she does a full market of baked goods (that never ever sell - they are good but the market is a bad idea - long story) and about four or five kinds of bread? Desserts too. About three desserts have to be ready. Noon seems to be pushing it time wise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That's insane. I've never worked anywhere where pastry wasn't in by 8am.

It sounds like either the kinda place that only sells deserts and is okay with selling a 2 day old eclair, or a super fancy wine bar that only wants fresh eclairs.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

People used to get mad at me about not giving discounts. My burgers came with cheese, and a bunch of people would call me out of the kitchen and be like
"How much are your burgers?"
"10 bucks."
"How much without cheese."
"....10 bucks."

Or when they were ordering something and wanted to remove the chicken they would be offended it was the same price. Here is an idea, if you want some special snowflake food, cook it your drat self. I don't haggle over my prices, regardless of how much you want to butcher the dish.

There's a new hip restaurant in town that offers a 'subtract cheese' version on one of their dishes, and on their menu the price is listed as "add $0 dollars". I thought it was pretty clever, and I'd do something similar if I ever had a menu.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I guess plain scallions just weren't impressive enough

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Gonna need a trip report on this anchovies/peanut brittle.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Gonna need a trip report on this anchovies/peanut brittle.

was really good. chef basically made a peanut caramel using fishsauce/water mixture as his liquid, poofed it out using baking soda, mixed in baby anchovies, garlic and peanuts, and topped with sea salt. it was very salty that day, but also like - I could sit and drink 12 beers and eat that poo poo all night long.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I haven't had cheese corn in far too long

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Korean mayo cheese corn is super legit I can confirm

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mindphlux posted:

was really good. chef basically made a peanut caramel using fishsauce/water mixture as his liquid, poofed it out using baking soda, mixed in baby anchovies, garlic and peanuts, and topped with sea salt. it was very salty that day, but also like - I could sit and drink 12 beers and eat that poo poo all night long.

That's great, it was one of those things that was going to be amazing or mind blindingly terrible. in my secret schadenfreude heart I was hoping for the later

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cods posted:

Just found out, owner was going to cut my pay and not tell me, until the Gm got into fight with him and reminded him that A. I would just leave and B. That's illegal and lovely. Only four more weeks of this poo poo!

:frogout:

Then send some key pictures to the local health inspector.

He wants to play loving games, let them go up his rear end with a shoulder length glove and find all the things he's not doing to keep costs down.

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Captain Log posted:

Our pastry chef is normally in the building at 6:00 am or 4:00 am to do her thing. I can't imagine cranking out all that bread in less time. I think she does a full market of baked goods (that never ever sell - they are good but the market is a bad idea - long story) and about four or five kinds of bread? Desserts too. About three desserts have to be ready. Noon seems to be pushing it time wise.

Pushing it time wise yes. Our kitchen is super small and on average I'm asked if I've finished the bread in 30 mins so the head chef can use the space to make sausage or break down pigs.

I'm exhausted to say the least.

To top it off the kitchen staff played stoner snack bar on my day off and ate drat near a weeks worth of ice cream after service. I'm tempted to call off and let them fix the shortage.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

mindphlux posted:

There's a new hip restaurant in town that offers a 'subtract cheese' version on one of their dishes, and on their menu the price is listed as "add $0 dollars". I thought it was pretty clever, and I'd do something similar if I ever had a menu.

M.S.G. patty :lol:

That menu owns

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

PhoenixShen posted:

Pushing it time wise yes. Our kitchen is super small and on average I'm asked if I've finished the bread in 30 mins so the head chef can use the space to make sausage or break down pigs.

I'm exhausted to say the least.

To top it off the kitchen staff played stoner snack bar on my day off and ate drat near a weeks worth of ice cream after service. I'm tempted to call off and let them fix the shortage.

Sounds like some young guys that aren't thinking too much. Ask them why they ate the ice cream and tell them how it could effect things. See if they care.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Skwirl posted:

It sounds like either the kinda place that only sells deserts and is okay with selling a 2 day old eclair, or a super fancy wine bar that only wants fresh eclairs.

You sorta pegged it. The place has an owner who is way up their own rear end with pronouncing everything like she is the God damned queen of France, acts condenscending, thinks everything there should be French and thus perfect, and wants to have fresh pastries in a little market attached to the restaurant like it's a loving countryside place in Bath or something even though it's the middle of a nice part off town with no people walking buy needing to buy fresh poo poo to carry home. It's a bit pretentious but makes some good food.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mindphlux posted:

Is the prep time/cost such that it could be worked for a bar menu?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mindphlux posted:

The more I look at that menu the more it perplexes me. The English has the feeling of someone with a tenuous grasp of English machine translating from Korean... but what Korean there is on the menu also has that feeling, only reversed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
It's me. I'm the cabbage stealing demon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

Is the prep time/cost such that it could be worked for a bar menu?

I would imagine so? have you ever made peanut brittle? It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. if you have the right size pots and a whole bunch of silpats I imagine you could crank out 2 big batches in an hour, enough for a couple nights of service

AnonSpore posted:

The more I look at that menu the more it perplexes me. The English has the feeling of someone with a tenuous grasp of English machine translating from Korean... but what Korean there is on the menu also has that feeling, only reversed.

it's some young korean brah dudes / industry lifers who had a few really successful popups. if it doesn't look right, it's probably intentional and ironic. not that I'm endorsing their choices, but a few parts of the menu had me lollin

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Today at work I had a run in with one of the two psycho owners. The following happened after earlier in the day I walked her food out from the pass to her because she was "too busy" to come and get it and previously chewed out an expo who let her food sit under the heat lamp.

The owner always gets fries and becomes angry if they are served with ketchup even though she does not type this in and they comes with ketchup and aioli I make as a standard condiment. Today she was stealing fries from the fry bowl after I brought her food to her and I asked her if she had ever been to Germany and had a chance to try curry ketchup. She responded by saying, "Everyone knows I was born in Germany and grew up there. Why would you ask me that? Are you retarded? That is a retarded question. You are literally a retard!"

I then calmly responded to them, in flawless German, "I'm very sorry, little girl, but I no idea. I literally had no idea. I also have no idea why you would speak like that." She may have then stormed out of the kitchen stomping her feet and refused to speak to me for the rest of the day.

Don't be condescending to me about things, you might get a response in a different language you don't appreciate.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mindphlux posted:

I would imagine so? have you ever made peanut brittle? It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. if you have the right size pots and a whole bunch of silpats I imagine you could crank out 2 big batches in an hour, enough for a couple nights of service

Takes more if you're only doing a batch or two. I tend to do like 10-20 every year to give out to coworkers; while the intermediate batches are around 15 minutes, there's definitely more setup and teardown you'd have to eat for 2 big batches.

...also, motherfuckers eat like 0.5 batches / person, so those 2 batches for a couple of nights services would have to be yuuge.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
meh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was picturing getting a 5-10 gallon pot or so and dumping out each batch onto 5-10 hotel pans on a rack

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

I was picturing getting a 5-10 gallon pot or so and dumping out each batch onto 5-10 hotel pans on a rack

Sugar REALLY doesn't heat that evenly, and 5-10 gallons of 350ish degree sugar is a great way to maim someone.

They probably do multiple 1-2 gallon batches, since most places won't have more than 5 silpats.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the absolute worst worst WORST injury i ever saw in a kitchen was subbing prep/bitch detail at a BBQ place one night as a 2-3 gallon batch of molasses came off the stove, got butterfinger bumbled and dropped into another line cook's cowboy boot he was wearing presumably for aesthetic appeal in defiance of the one thousand reasons cowboy boots are awful to wear in a dangerous workplace

and now i don't wanna armchair quarterback homie's process too much because it was a stressful situation and folk don't think with their brainminds in those times, but the dude rips the boot clean off as hard as he can

that's how i learned what footbones look like!

in summary: please only do molten sugars in small managable batches while wearing appropriate PPE. stay frosty goons, its a jungle out there...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Willie Tomg posted:

the absolute worst worst WORST injury i ever saw in a kitchen was subbing prep/bitch detail at a BBQ place one night as a 2-3 gallon batch of molasses came off the stove, got butterfinger bumbled and dropped into another line cook's cowboy boot he was wearing presumably for aesthetic appeal in defiance of the one thousand reasons cowboy boots are awful to wear in a dangerous workplace

and now i don't wanna armchair quarterback homie's process too much because it was a stressful situation and folk don't think with their brainminds in those times, but the dude rips the boot clean off as hard as he can

in summary: please only do molten sugars in small managable batches while wearing appropriate PPE. stay frosty goons, its a jungle out there...

Molten sugar scares the gently caress out of me and I used to make a pot of it daily for my onion jam, which I did back asswards to save time.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hot sugar and napalm are basically the same thing

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Hot sugar and napalm are basically the same thing

Napalm Sugar sticks to kids!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Willie Tomg posted:

jesus loving christ

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Molten sugar scares the gently caress out of me

When my grandma would make peanut brittle she would send me out to my granddad's machine shop as it was safer for a little kid out there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Don't forget to set your clocks forward tonight for daylight savings. I hope I live to see it abolished.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Republicans posted:

Don't forget to set your clocks forward tonight for daylight savings. I hope I live to see it abolished.

Don't forget to shoot yourself if you're stuck opening when the clocks go forward because half your staff is sick or on vacation.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

For real tho, sugar work is dangerous

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

jesus loving christ

Yeah, I could have done without reading that, then my stupid imagination made combined molten sugar and that famous PSA.

gently caress my imagination. :smith:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Met Danny Meyer today. Cool dude. Told him to go have dinner at Counter 3 FIVE VII to see how other restaurants are handling the no tip thing.

3 FIVE VII is just table service from chefs. Love the concept, and the cooks are making good money for good work.

I so greatly disagree with chefs/owners who think cooks belong in the back.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hey cooking goons, in light of my recent poo poo show I've been experiencing which has been going on for the past couple of pages, I decided to type up a little "what not to do/when to not accept a position/when to GTFO" as far as if your job hunting and looking to start somewhere.

Background: Head chef in NYC, born down south, went to culinary school, got an Internship across the country, got the hell out of the South, cooked in the mountains, then on the west coast. Then I moved to NY. The majority of the places I have worked were really nice places, but then there has been some poo poo holes along the way. The goal here is to give you younger folks some warning signs that will save you lots of frustrations/headaches and most importantly save you from wasting your precious time from something will suck your soul out and leave you doubting why you ever got into this business in the first place.

A lot if this will seem like common sense, but sometimes whether it be money, a convenient location, or a good spiel it can be easy if you are in a tight spot to be suckered into something you will regret later. Alright, enough bullshit.

1. The place doesn't have a (real) Vitamix or robocoupe. This one sounds silly but I will never ever not follow this rule ever again. Although in the UK do you guys have some called a thermo mix?Not entirely sure if that translates 100%.

This one has screwed me over a couple of times. If the place doesn't have those, then don't do it. When did my interview/tasting at my current pisshole, the sketchball owner told me he had just purchased a brand new Vitamix, and robocoupe. Great, I thought. Then I did my tasting, and the only thing I could find was some lovely bar Vitamix with no hi/low, but a broken pulse switch that was barely chugging along while I was making lumpy parsnip puree. I thought because I had never been there that I couldn't find the real blender, but no, that was it. And the brand new robocoupe was a Cuisinart that clearly said for home use only.

All of the lovely places I have ever stepped into did not have the two basic pieces of equipment.

2. The place does not have an A on their health inspection score. No excuse for this. I got suckered in because the place I was at hadn't had a chef for a month, and the inspector came, and poo poo happens. Then I looked it up and they had a B for a whiiiiile. And it turns out they were shut down for rodents in the past, even when they had a chef. After spending my first week in the walk in trying to fix it, the inspector came and we narrowly got an A, but. I realize this place is always going to be a disaster that's hard to keep clean no matter what you do. No A, go home.

3. Come in for a trail and the walk in is a disaster. No dates, labels, poo poo without lids, things on the floor. Fishy smell. RUN. Like I said I made the walk in my job for weeks, but the old chef had done such a lovely job training the staff they just pull poo poo out of the box, leave the box, prep, put poo poo everywhere, no sense of organization. It's always been a thorn in my side. And the problem was all these guys had been here for like 3 years and I couldnt teach old dogs new tricks. I've replaced most of them, but usually I get the walk in nice and it's hosed like an hour later. Then I yell, they don't understand, and then I have to fix it.

4. It's old/looks dirty. Old buildings, especially in large metropolitan areas, can be plagued with problems. Rodents, bad plumbing, lots of nooks and crannies etc. All these things can make it really hard to keep a place nice, organized, and clean, in terms of not only food safety, passing inspections, but also your loving sanity. If I walk in to a dry storage and it's all hosed up, Ocd kicks and I can't leave until it's fixed. If it's like that everywhere it makes it hard to function. And if they know they have a trail coming in, and it's still dirty, bad sign.

5. I'll think of more but I have a lot of monkfish to butcher.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I could have done without reading that, then my stupid imagination made combined molten sugar and that famous PSA.

gently caress my imagination. :smith:

yeah I immediately thought of that and then this (1:45) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhkJYRjssc

that is terrifying.

I just work in a bar pt for some extra cash - you guys are all badasses. Speaking of, I'm up for St. Paddy's. Like most bars, we are slammed, and do a ton of corn beef. Ugh.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

It's quite possible he simply saved the local burn unit the trouble of slowly debriding all of that anyway. :shrug:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

See, chopped chef show you how stressful it is but they don't tell you that you'll turn yourself into a skeleton in that line of work. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

cods posted:

"what not to do/when to not accept a position/when to GTFO" as far as if your job hunting and looking to start somewhere.

5. I'll think of more but I have a lot of monkfish to butcher.

Something quick and easy you can do is to take a look at the fryers. I worked at one place where the flueboxes at the back of the fryers were so ill-maintanted that they had completely bowed inward from gunk and debris building up in the caseback. Maybe someday I'll post pics of all the gunk I chiseled out of them.

I've worked nearly the full spectrum of kitchens, but it's the gross/dangerous stuff that you remember the most.

• Locked thread