Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
France looking a bit too loose, but dangerous in a way I'm not sure Scotland can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or they could just be loose in defence as well. A bit risky with the tackles as well, there's been a couple that looked like arms were never intended to take part.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

tarbrush posted:

Oh dear, good France have put in an appearance. Shame for Scotland, should make a good game though.

It's ok, Inexplicably Capable Scotland have also shown up!

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Sneaky Laidlaw and Hogg pulling back defenders....

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

stavros880 posted:

Once again we are reminded that top quality cheating wins rugby matches.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

stavros880 posted:

Aye cos the open side flanker was going to make up 10m in a straight sprint with a centre at full skelp... :jerkbag:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Laidlaw is painfully slow

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Heid the Ball posted:

Aye cos the open side flanker was going to make up 10m in a straight sprint with a centre at full skelp... :jerkbag:

The 6 was about 5 yards away and missed the tackle by inches..... I mean, the ref gave it, so it's a try, but lets not pretend he was miles off

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Let's have a sweepsteak to guess how quickly John Inverdale starts talking about England after this match. I give it 4 sentences.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Stuart Hogg :circlefap:

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Well done Scotland. :neckbeard:

Aug 4, 2010

hitchensgoespop posted:

Let's have a sweepsteak to guess how quickly John Inverdale starts talking about England after this match. I give it 4 sentences.

Pretty close.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

stavros880 posted:

The 6 was about 5 yards away and missed the tackle by inches..... I mean, the ref gave it, so it's a try, but lets not pretend he was miles off

Never broke stride, and the other Frenchman was tripping Laidlaw, hence why he grabbed the guy. Then immediately let go, the guy never twitched.

So perfectly fine, even after review by ref and TMO, who are more qualified than you or I.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Engerlaaaand etc

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
What's the money France turn up next week and smash England? We desperately want the grand slam and I just have a feeling the French will do what the French do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well then we shall tell everyone it doesnt really matter as long as we beat Wales and won the tournament

If we do get the GS it'll be the most important thing ever and you don't win the 6 nations 'properly' without it

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

What's the money France turn up next week and smash England? We desperately want the grand slam and I just have a feeling the French will do what the French do.

That's just your nerves and general sporting pessimism.

Can't see any other result than a GS for England.

I'm still really confused why Wales and to a lesser extent Ireland have just failed to get going in this tournament. Scotland are still shite and who knows what the gently caress France are doing but it's just been a very odd couple of weeks.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

If we do get the GS it'll be the most important thing ever and you don't win the 6 nations 'properly' without it

I kinda think that's true more than ever, good sides are measured in terms of GS wins. Champion titles while nice tend to get forgotten.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How on earth did Eddie Jones manage to get England to win the 6N?

I mean they didn't train even once with the SAS????

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

hitchensgoespop posted:

I'm still really confused why Wales and to a lesser extent Ireland have just failed to get going in this tournament. Scotland are still shite and who knows what the gently caress France are doing but it's just been a very odd couple of weeks.

Wales is easy. The Gatland Wales are so one dimensional people at the Cambridge maths department are doing PhD research on it as a new branch of number theory. They rely purely on hard runners going straight at the defensive line to force two on one tackles and eventually the defense running out of players. With a defense that can either tackle Wales behind the gain line or be better at the break down the defense doesn't run out of players. Wales just doesn't have it in them to have that spark to run good lines. If you can stop Wales at the break down you can stop Wales full stop.

Ireland are getting old and injured and the understudies just are not at the same level. A fully fit and firing 1st choice team is hard to play against but the injuries hit them hard as the cupboard looks a bit bare.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

To call Wales one-dimensional is a disservice to actually one-dimensional teams. They're good defenders, but they're more predictable than day following night on attack, and are desperately lacking in any attacking intelligence.

Ireland are severely lacking in player depth.

Italy are the shittiest bunch of shits that ever poo poo in the history of making GBS threads.

Scotland are masters at playing beneath their abilities.

The only way France will win is if England have a spectacular collapse under the pressure of delivering a grand slam.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wales are one-dimensional robots for the first 60-70 minutes.
By which point they've either bashed the lesser teams into submission or are 4 scores down to anyone good.
At which point they they chuck it around like Fiji and run in enough tries to almost win.

Most people just wish they would chuck it around like Fiji from the first minute if only for a bit of variety

It's been like this since 2003.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And South Africa can do that "crush you into submission" style of rugby much better, and they actually make the most of players like Willie le Roux when they need to.

Like, look at their trilogy of Ellis Park tests with the All Blacks in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Those games are some of the best in the last decade or so, particularly the 2013 test, and they're loving fantastic because both teams are playing some next level rugby.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Wales is easy. The Gatland Wales are so one dimensional people at the Cambridge maths department are doing PhD research on it as a new branch of number theory. They rely purely on hard runners going straight at the defensive line to force two on one tackles and eventually the defense running out of players. With a defense that can either tackle Wales behind the gain line or be better at the break down the defense doesn't run out of players. Wales just doesn't have it in them to have that spark to run good lines. If you can stop Wales at the break down you can stop Wales full stop.

Ireland are getting old and injured and the understudies just are not at the same level. A fully fit and firing 1st choice team is hard to play against but the injuries hit them hard as the cupboard looks a bit bare.

Agree in principle, but if its SUCH a simple and easy style of play to A) Execute and B) defend against in that you can tell what every player is going to do 5 mins before hes doing it, why haven't Wales been found out sooner rather than having pretty much their best period of success since the 70s and were a debatable red card away from one world cup final and got to the semis with pretty much their third string side.

I think its some primo level armchair coaching to say "hai guyz, why you never stop wales at the breakdown and thus win"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I really enjoyed the Scotland game not only because we crushed the French but because it was a good game. Both teams played some really good Rugby.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

Agree in principle, but if its SUCH a simple and easy style of play to A) Execute and B) defend against in that you can tell what every player is going to do 5 mins before hes doing it, why haven't Wales been found out sooner rather than having pretty much their best period of success since the 70s and were a debatable red card away from one world cup final and got to the semis with pretty much their third string side.

I think its some primo level armchair coaching to say "hai guyz, why you never stop wales at the breakdown and thus win"

Yeah, but beating Wales hasn't really been an issue for the SANZAR teams now has it?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but beating Wales hasn't really been an issue for the SANZAR teams now has it?

No, but to be fair, most of the NH sides have struggled to beat the SH sides on balance over the last 8 or so years.

And again theres far more behind Wales lack of success in the SH than just them being an easy side to read

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

And South Africa can do that "crush you into submission" style of rugby much better, and they actually make the most of players like Willie le Roux when they need to.

Like, look at their trilogy of Ellis Park tests with the All Blacks in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Those games are some of the best in the last decade or so, particularly the 2013 test, and they're loving fantastic because both teams are playing some next level rugby.

It's a problem at the level of player skills and it goes deep into our rugby culture. Whenever you raise this in England there's always a bunch of arseholes who would genuinely rather see a mudpile than a flowing game. We have good runners but we're generally quite bad at seeing space and getting the ball into it, which all the southern nations do much better. I think the world cup has woken some people up to this but it's going to take some time to shift. Note that every home nation now has a southern hemisphere coach and it's made bugger all difference to handling skills or play style because these guys are raised to bosh it up and not much else.With the exception that it seems like England players are a little bit more space-aware under Eddie than they were before.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I'm really not sure how Marler has avoided being cited for the forearm smash on Evans. It makes me a little bit less confident that he'll have any real punishment for calling Samson Lee "gypsy boy".

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

As an England fan I would be delighted to see Marler eat a long ban. For several reasons.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

fallingdownjoe posted:

It makes me a little bit less confident that he'll have any real punishment for calling Samson Lee "gypsy boy".

From reading the BBC piece this morning, it seemed like it was done and dusted and nothing further would happen. Which i think is pretty abhorrent if that ends up being the case.

The RU would probably rather that it all just went away as well so...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Hogg is ace.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, and now Marler's been cited for the elbow. Better late than never I suppose.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Marler has apparently apologised for the "gyspy boy" comment. So that's pretty much an admission of guilt and there really isn't any reason why he shouldn't eat a big ban for that, never mind the elbow he put into Lee earlier.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Assuming the lack of news means Marler hasn't been cited for his comments.
At least it saves us from the weeks of "Travellers aren't a race" and "political correctness gone mad" cuntery from the Rugby Mad Public.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Gypsygate is still under investigation according to the guardian.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I hope he does get banned for it, and not just with the vested interest of not seeing him give away a shitload of scrum penalties next week.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

hitchensgoespop posted:

Wales have been found out for a while. The last 6 Nations was 2013 and that was down to points difference and only two wins against a SANZAR team in the last decade. By Welsh standards its been a very successful period but that's not a particularly high bar.

Plus that red card was justified and is a text book example of a tip tackle. If that had been done by any one but a Welsh player you would of been fine with the card.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Yes they've been found out. Sides are Lining up to beat them. Except they aren't. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they aren't playing very basic rugby but when done well it can be very effective. See also England in the 90s.

And you're second point is flat out wrong. Nice try though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Their success in Europe says more about European rugby than it does the alleged quality of the Welsh team.