Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have a question about the asset editor. I'm trying to make a bus station that can hold multiple lines and that's just a flat peice of land, but I have no idea how to get bus routes on it like this dude has. Some other assets I was messing with also had pedestrian paths. There's no option for either type of path that I can see in my toolbars. Is one of my mods disabling it or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

super fart shooter posted:

Scenic vistas ought to have an innate land value modifier, the way waterfront land does. I don't know how they'd implement it though, maybe the value could increase with altitude and steepness of the slope?

Luxury favelas!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably be best to measure it by landmass viewable from that spot, which is a calculation you can do at map compile.

Medellin is interesting, in the north, the steepest parts of the city are still favellas, however in the south of the city they are the richest part due to automobiles and gentrification.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
This is one of the major reasons that, in the real world, disaster risk is correlated with both extreme wealth and poverty!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

I have a question about the asset editor. I'm trying to make a bus station that can hold multiple lines and that's just a flat peice of land, but I have no idea how to get bus routes on it like this dude has. Some other assets I was messing with also had pedestrian paths. There's no option for either type of path that I can see in my toolbars. Is one of my mods disabling it or am I missing something?

IIRC you've got to delve pretty deep into modtools to get that busline stuff working. An obvious starting point would be using the the big bus station as your template.

Also, pedestrian paths should always be there as an option.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This is from forever ago, but why is that subway useless? I don't really use metros, but I'm interested in making a good network.

Loops generally aren't that great of a design for public transportation, while the stops are located at the periphery of his city instead of in central areas.

Here's my current set up:

Two main cross-city high speed tram lines, Blue and White. The main lines are fed by a series of bus and street running tram routes, which pick up passengers, drop them off at the Blue/White stops. The street running trams are then serviced by other bus routes, if necessary. No large circulators outside of the Hickory Hills/Meadow Heights area.

The ridership looks low, but I'm using the Rush Hour mod so it isn't exactly popping at 11:00 AM. Usually in the morning and evenings my main lines can have 200+ people waiting at a given stop, with four or five 240 occupant trams servicing them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it possible to make a type of highway intersection that is both compact and can handle a lot of traffic? I tried dabbling in high-density districts but the basic small diamond interchanges can't handle the traffic, and all the top ones on the workshop are gently caress-huge big and won't fit where I need them.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Probably be best to measure it by landmass viewable from that spot, which is a calculation you can do at map compile.

Terraforming messes with this, but I guess you could recalculate land value for each square that can see the area you're working on. Who knows how CPU-intensive it would be though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

Is it possible to make a type of highway intersection that is both compact and can handle a lot of traffic? I tried dabbling in high-density districts but the basic small diamond interchanges can't handle the traffic, and all the top ones on the workshop are gently caress-huge big and won't fit where I need them.

What size are we talking about, what mods are you using, etc.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

If space is an issue I usually use these.

Though not with the split ends on the crossing bridge anymore. Use 6 lane bridge if you have even spread of demand all around so that all lanes get utilized. The 6 lane oneway lenght can be adjusted if you need more buffer zone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Avoid the need for large interchanges hogging precious downtown space by simply not building urban freeways comrade :) :) :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Avoid the need for large interchanges hogging precious downtown space by simply not building urban freeways comrade :) :) :)

Or build them underground. You have a whole lot of room down there to do pretty much whatever you want. I like to use tunnels to create express lanes for traffic to get from one side of my city to the other, freeing up surface roads for local traffic.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Now you're just being silly.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

I have to agree with this.

In this mangled photoshop photomerge image of my previous city, you can see the motorway almost entirely circles the main urban area. Until this was built I was having chronic 'no goods delivered' issues amongst other problems. There is an underpass (if you look either side you can see the tunnel portals) that follows the north bank of the river under the parks that diverted a whole load of traffic from going through the city centre. Having a very good transport network (20 bus lines in total, 4 metro lines and about 6 rail lines) also significantly helped reduce traffic.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Koesj posted:

What size are we talking about, what mods are you using, etc.

Vanilla, no mods. I'm just trying to bridge across the highway but the old diamond-style interchanges can't support enough traffic, and the roundabouts are too small to cut it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alabaster White posted:

I use this one a lot, it handles a ton of traffic and is about the smallest overall that I've seen: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413214432&searchtext=roundabout+intersection+to+6

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alabaster White posted:

Vanilla, no mods. I'm just trying to bridge across the highway but the old diamond-style interchanges can't support enough traffic, and the roundabouts are too small to cut it.

Is your problem traffic coming in from the highway, or the fact that cars trying to get from one half of your city to the other are being forced through the same chokepoint as your highway traffic?

I'd try building some overpasses using larger roads and seeing how much of your traffic switches to it. Your solution might be fewer overpasses and more direct roads over.

Also, in the future you should build more large roads. Baronjutter is right, you want to use two lane roads as much as possible. But larger four or six lane roads are useful because car AI chooses the fastest route, not necessarily the shortest. Large roads can be used to direct traffic along specific routes, so you can use high capacity, high speed roads to keep traffic where you want it. Just avoid intersections with them, the fewer traffic lights you have the faster things will move.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The interchange WithoutTheFezOn recommended solved all my highway problems immediately, but I still don't understand where/how to use large roads. At all. I've seen diagrams, I've read tutorials, but even when I think I'm doing it right or using them in moderation, it brings traffic to a screeching halt that backs up onto the highway for miles.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're not using traffic management mods that let you micromanage your traffic lights, the wider roads actually make traffic worse relative to 2 lane roads, because every intersection is a stoplight. Wider roads are useful mostly for carrying services way farther than 2 lane roads do, but you want as few intersections with wide roads as possible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alabaster White posted:

The interchange WithoutTheFezOn recommended solved all my highway problems immediately, but I still don't understand where/how to use large roads. At all. I've seen diagrams, I've read tutorials, but even when I think I'm doing it right or using them in moderation, it brings traffic to a screeching halt that backs up onto the highway for miles.

If traffic is backing up your large roads probably have too many intersections. Traffic lights are the bane of your existence, the fewer you have the better off you'll be.

Think of it this way, four lane and six lane roads are like miniature highways. They shouldn't necessarily be a part of your two lane road grid, but instead be a means for traffic to get from one part of your city to another with as few interruptions as possible. Intersections are interruptions, which means that you'll either want frontage roads along your large roads, or just leave some dead ends where the two lane grid doesn't connect.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If traffic is backing up your large roads probably have too many intersections. Traffic lights are the bane of your existence, the fewer you have the better off you'll be.

Think of it this way, four lane and six lane roads are like miniature highways. They shouldn't necessarily be a part of your two lane road grid, but instead be a means for traffic to get from one part of your city to another with as few interruptions as possible. Intersections are interruptions, which means that you'll either want frontage roads along your large roads, or just leave some dead ends where the two lane grid doesn't connect.

How would you suggest I do it on my current setup? I'm not gonna understand it without some examples.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Zoning stuff on the big roads can also slow things down since it means vehicles entering and exiting the road, and especially service vehicles blocking a lane. I'll still zone next to four-lane roads often enough, but generally I leave six-lanes unzoned, or at least the vast majority of them.

The highway analogy is very applicable. Most local access should be handled by two-lane roads, the bigger roads exist to get traffic across large distances quickly. They work best when you think of them as highways that take up less space and aren't as expensive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Supraluminal posted:

Zoning stuff on the big roads can also slow things down since it means vehicles entering and exiting the road, and especially service vehicles blocking a lane. I'll still zone next to four-lane roads often enough, but generally I leave six-lanes unzoned, or at least the vast majority of them.

The highway analogy is very applicable. Most local access should be handled by two-lane roads, the bigger roads exist to get traffic across large distances quickly. They work best when you think of them as highways that take up less space and aren't as expensive.

Which tends to lead to the next realization in the process: that you don't actually need more than just the one regional highway and they're just for looking snazzy.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Little progress on my city!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is that airport fully functional? I'd love to learn how to build custom multi-runway airports like that, beyond the default international one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Airport Roads will let you do just that!

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I didn't know my rail planning was this bad :ohdear:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Le0 posted:

Little progress on my city!

Your airport is driving me mad. The runways should be absolutely parallel or more perpendicular. How you've set it them up is unrealistic because it would be a huge mid-air collision risk.

I won't even start on the tall buildings at the end of the runways...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Now I sort of want to see an airport right in the middle of a very dense block of skyscrapers.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

YF-23 posted:

Now I sort of want to see an airport right in the middle of a very dense block of skyscrapers.

So, Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Does anyone use taxis? I'm not sure I understand how to best use them.

E: Also, I don't know why we can't have trees and bike paths on a four or six lane road. :colbert:

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 13, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Didn't give enough time and space to get real skyscrapers but the intention was there

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zero One posted:

Your airport is driving me mad. The runways should be absolutely parallel or more perpendicular. How you've set it them up is unrealistic because it would be a huge mid-air collision risk.

Oh please. Did you miss the pictures in this thread where people built elevated walkways over runways?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Building a tram/train test city cause I haven't actually played the game for a while in between my assetbuilding and gahhh I just can't not go hog-wild with interchanges:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Does anyone use taxis? I'm not sure I understand how to best use them.

afaik, taxis are primarily for tourism, and tourism does not and has never worked.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

zedprime posted:

Didn't give enough time and space to get real skyscrapers but the intention was there

No joke this looks little like the airport I learned to fly at. It even had a steeper than normal approach because of the shopping center and high voltage lines.

Alkydere posted:

Oh please. Did you miss the pictures in this thread where people built elevated walkways over runways?

:suicide:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zero One posted:

The shortness of the runways was fine?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

PleasingFungus posted:

afaik, taxis are primarily for tourism, and tourism does not and has never worked.

I build taxi depots all over the place and they're almost always fully in use, by residents and tourists. They don't handle a huge volume of people and I don't know if they serve a specific practical purpose the way public transport does, but they certainly do get people around. I usually place the depots in commercial areas, and I put taxi stands at places like train stations or airports.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I've never seen a single taxi in the stands, ever. Do they actually work?

Also, snowmaps are kinda nice, but it's all so monochrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PleasingFungus posted:

This raises a good question - is tourism working as designed or not? Even a city with a well-developed tourism infrastructure (rail/airport/ferries, landmarks, tourism districts from AD) sees so few tourists that you can really just ignore the whole thing. I remember the devs made some noises about fixing tourism when AD came out but the numbers don't really seem any different.