Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think they are.

ABC is taking breaks every 3-5 minutes. Ugh.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Marco you absolutely loving suck jesus christ

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Classic Marco aiming for a gap that wasn't ever there and manages to stall it!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Marco gonna Marco.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Marco :cmon:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Power diagnosed with a mild concussion:
https://twitter.com/indycar/status/709072915367497728

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gozinbulx posted:

is there no more IRC chat during races? or was that never a thing.

I need a place to shout about Montoya alot.

#ics on synIRC is where me and others are bitching.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Lol Marco

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Marco gonna Marco

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

Marco you absolutely loving suck jesus christ

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Marco should be banned from St. Pete between last year and this year (although last year was more Race Control's fault)

Just happy to see Daly leading the race, but he better not jump another restart...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Just woke up, tuned in to see Marco being Marco. Yup.

Terrible news about WillPo, though. Hope he can get back in the car quickly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar. Indycar never changes.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
welp

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar. Indycar never changes.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Graham Rahal channeling his inner Will Power.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Ban Andretti-Green Racing.

Also, lol at the safety team. "He hit a wall yesterday? Yep, it's stomach flu."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
whelp

simble
May 11, 2004

I'm amazed that there wasn't a red flag there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like RHR got waaaay out of it to avoid being the meat in a Helio/Dixon sandwich and it all followed from there.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
lmao

simble
May 11, 2004

Between the first person videos on YouTube and that Rahal talk through a lap, Indy has some cool features.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Juan being Juan

Marco being Marco

Rahal being Power

Power being :barf:

Bring on Phoenix :getin: :fyadride:

EDIT: Here's a good Montoya nickname for Cheever - Gordito Pablo

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 13, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Phoenix roll call, people want to meet up on Friday or Saturday?

simble
May 11, 2004

gently caress yeah I'm in. I live here so just tell me where to go and I'll go.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

God Juan owns. :allears:.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I just watched an IndyCar race where one of the fastest cars won and there were a minimum of cautions. I'm so confused!

e: at least ABC didn't let us see the battle for 3rd-4th-5th on the last lap, that part at least felt right

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That was underwhelming, but I think this will be a good season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

No idea how Munoz managed to get all the way back to 8th, that was a pretty crazy race back in the pack with some of the worst loving coverage I've ever seen. Can't wait to get to NBC Sports.

Also the rest of the field really needs to step it up with their pit stops. Penskes were consistently in the 7.X range, and everyone else were doing 9's at best.

Oh and the cooling issues for all the Ganassi cars and a few of the Hondas was weird too. It was pretty windy, wonder if they were just sucking up a lot of hot dog wrappers and junk.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 14, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

how much could indycar possibly lose from taking back streaming rights from ABC/NBC and creating a subscription-only, ad-free streaming service? i'd buy that in a loving instant. they could even do crazy things like, idk, let people in indiana watch the indy 500.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Just watched the race, Dammit Rahal, I'm pulling for you this season, don't crash please :( Good for Juan though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

how much could indycar possibly lose from taking back streaming rights from ABC/NBC and creating a subscription-only, ad-free streaming service? i'd buy that in a loving instant. they could even do crazy things like, idk, let people in indiana watch the indy 500.

They're getting paid money for ABC/NBCSN to show the races. Until that stops happening? They'll continue to air it on those networks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

They're getting paid money for ABC/NBCSN to show the races. Until that stops happening? They'll continue to air it on those networks.

right, but broadcast/cable rights can be separate from streaming rights. and MLS, for example, has contracts with several networks, all of whom also stream games on their own platforms, but MLS additionally has their own subscription-based streaming service.

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 14, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The streaming rights were part of the TV contracts. They would need to renegotiate that part out of it, and I'm sure the networks would want to pay less as a result.

Like 5k people watched quals on the youtube streaming. Even if you assume they get 10x that many in subs, and that those subs pay $25 a pop... its probably less money than NBC/ABC would want back in renegotiation. Considering the series gives 100% of the TV money back to the teams in the form of direct support payments, any dip in that money is bad for car counts I would imagine.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

No idea how Munoz managed to get all the way back to 8th, that was a pretty crazy race back in the pack with some of the worst loving coverage I've ever seen. Can't wait to get to NBC Sports.

Also the rest of the field really needs to step it up with their pit stops. Penskes were consistently in the 7.X range, and everyone else were doing 9's at best.

Oh and the cooling issues for all the Ganassi cars and a few of the Hondas was weird too. It was pretty windy, wonder if they were just sucking up a lot of hot dog wrappers and junk.

Sato going from 21st to 6th was impressive (and jumping 4 cars on the restart before the big wreck), but going by the coverage you wouldn't have known he was in the race.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well Sato was able to sneak by the parking lot of wounded Dallaras so he probably picked up a lot of spots that way, but, yeah, the coverage of the non-leaders was less than ideal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just watched the DVR and hoooly poo poo how was Marco's wave around lap legal? Locking em all up and nearly getting a face full of safety truck seems really loving insane to me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

Well Sato was able to sneak by the parking lot of wounded Dallaras so he probably picked up a lot of spots that way, but, yeah, the coverage of the non-leaders was less than ideal.

He did clip Rahal so he didn't quite get away unscathed, he must have pitted for a new wing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dixon's charge from 14th to 7th was also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Yeah, the coverage was an absolute shitshow. They cut away for replays on at least two occasions and missed passes as a result, and didn't even acknowledge that the pass occurred.

Did they ever say what happened to Marco when he was stalled out in the last turn?

• Locked thread