Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

I just want a sandbox Superhero game. Give me a GTA style world where I can be Batman or Iron Man or whoever (ideally i'd have a roster I could choose from) that I can run around and patrol, stop everything from hold ups to band robberies. Have instanced areas with missions, and lots of places to explore, poo poo to collect and characters to interact with.

There's a Superman game that came out around the time of Superman Returns that's basically exactly this. It wasn't the best game, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Also, the Prototype games might sate you.

(Obviously the Arkham games, but they're less sandboxy than what you want I think.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Longbaugh01 posted:

There's a Superman game that came out around the time of Superman Returns that's basically exactly this. It wasn't the best game, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Also, the Prototype games might sate you.

(Obviously the Arkham games, but they're less sandboxy than what you want I think.)

I play Prototype and the Arkham games, and yea, its close, but I'm thinking something that's more modern open world just GTAV or Witcher 3.

Gaz-L posted:

They'd talked about it being anthology-ish, with a new cast each year. So next year would be like, Vixen and Kid Flash and Dr Light and Mr Terrific and Constantine.

I can accept this, I just don't want seasons of them trying to deal with Savage over and over again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't Sony have a superhero game sandbox like what your asking about? The sequel was a PS4 launch game. The first game you were an electric dude. Infamous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Didn't Sony have a superhero game sandbox like what your asking about? The sequel was a PS4 launch game. The first game you were an electric dude. Infamous.

I never much cared for that. One of the best super power sandbox games ever is Crackdown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your guy in Infamous is relatively low powered, it plays like a 3rd person shooter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Actually Hulk: Ultimate Destruction isn't far off from being GTA style Sandbox. You can free roam the city in between missions destroying poo poo and fighting hulkbusters. If you've played Prototype it's basically the same game.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
A lot of people misspelling Saints Row IV in here.

It scratched that itch for me though it's lacking in superpower on superpower action.

On the other hand: Vice President Keith David.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Actually Hulk: Ultimate Destruction isn't far off from being GTA style Sandbox. You can free roam the city in between missions destroying poo poo and fighting hulkbusters. If you've played Prototype it's basically the same game.

Bonus points for Neal McDonough (Dum Dum in the MCU and Damian Dahrk in Arrow) as Banner (just as he was in the 90's Hulk cartoon) and Ron Perlman as Abomination.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

greatn posted:

Yeah InFamous Second Son is pretty great, the InFamous games are all great imo even if the morality system is a little bit black and white. Sucker Punch are good people and Nate Fox is a national treasure.

Mortanis posted:

It scratched that itch for me though it's lacking in superpower on superpower action.

I was going to bring up Saints Row IV too

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gaz-L posted:

Bonus points for Neal McDonough (Dum Dum in the MCU and Damian Dahrk in Arrow) as Banner (just as he was in the 90's Hulk cartoon) and Ron Perlman as Abomination.

No f'ing way!

Fer content, EDIT wrong thread

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 12, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mortanis posted:

This is as close to one as I can think of. Though I think what i want is a licensed game is a good roster with variety of heroes to choose from.

Legends of Tomorrow, I honestly have stopped caring about Savage as a villain. He's not even hammy in an enjoyable way and the fact every week he manages to get away is just becoming silly. I'm more interested in the characters interacting.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried Marvel Heroes? Might be something you'd like.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The Legends writers have no idea what they are doing. It is getting more and more difficult to watch because of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Light Gun Man posted:

Have you tried Marvel Heroes? Might be something you'd like.

Been playing since it got good. Just waiting until Fury and Angela are released.

ToastyPotato posted:

The Legends writers have no idea what they are doing. It is getting more and more difficult to watch because of it.

I think the problem is they tied themselves down with the plot being time travelers fight Vandal Savage though time. They set themselves up for every episode to have then foil his plans but escape at the end.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel this way about Arrow and Flash this season too. It's like Berlanti scribbled some story beats on a cocktail napkin and then ran off to CBS.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Die Laughing posted:

I love that Mark Hamil is filming Star Wars, but is still sending Kevin Smith emails asking if the Trickster is going to be in his episode. I picture him half heartedly swinging a lightsaber for millions of dollars, wistfully thinking about wearing colorful tights while annoying the Flash on network television.

I still think half the energy he put into his first CW Trickster appearance came from "whole hours of nobody talking to me about Star Wars!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whizbang posted:

I feel this way about Arrow and Flash this season too. It's like Berlanti scribbled some story beats on a cocktail napkin and then ran off to CBS.

Flash's story has been pretty clear, it's just not good.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Flash's story is literally season one with alternate universes instead of time travel (except we're gettin that in a few weeks, with the return of Rick Cosnett).

That's pretty much the problem with Flash, it's drat near impossible to write good villains that aren't speedsters themselves.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Legends is really good. Savage is really the only big, persistent problem about it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bruceski posted:

I still think half the energy he put into his first CW Trickster appearance came from "whole hours of nobody talking to me about Star Wars!"

Half of Mark's energy is already more than most actor's muster for their roles. Also, it's fun to note that he's played the Trickster in three different shows across three decades (Flash, JLU, Flash).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bruceski posted:

It wasn't until I listened to him on Fatman on Batman that I realised how much of a colossal nerd he is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I think the problem is they tied themselves down with the plot being time travelers fight Vandal Savage though time. They set themselves up for every episode to have then foil his plans but escape at the end.

Legends really should've just been Danger 5

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Arrow has a similar problem this season definitely. Flash I wouldn't say suffers from the same issue. The downside to Flash this season is that it really seems to be retreading last season, which dulls things a bit. They should probably just stick to trying to adapt Flash story arcs more faithfully instead of coming up with their own stuff since it is clear they seem to be struggling for ideas. Still the best of the three CW shows, for me at least.

Legends is a bit of a mess because it seems like the writers were hired to do a super hero team up time travel story and that none of them are particularly passionate or all that knowledgeable about either. Show's turning into those bad episodes of Power Rangers where they barely use their powers or zords, and the big bad just shakes his fist and comes back next episode. Next year's team needs to be way smaller, imo because the writers are struggling to make a team this size relevant. They've dropped two from the team so far and they still have 7. I'd cap it at 5 next year, personally.

With Arrow, it feels like the mandated flashbacks are really hamstringing the show in some ways. Same last season. Also, the writers don't really seem to know what to do with Damien, especially since he is generally way overpowered compared to Team Arrow. Fight scene quality has also been diminishing over the course of the series. And anything writing involving Malcolm is just awful, usually.

I think all three shows are capable of being really good, but this season things seem much more lazy and scatter brained.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is basically the end of every episode. Oh no we stopped Savage's evil plan bit he went out thr back door when we were talking about our feelings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Legends annoys me to no end that Firestorm is never used. I understand they don't have the budget to pull him out every single fight, but there's only so many times I can buy the Professor Stein and not-Ronnie split up for separate missions and a major threat hits one so they have to use their quick wits to escape rather than becoming a superhero.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Arrow fight choreography is strange, because when they did have an episode directed by the fight choreographer they were much better and inventive.

So it's not like the Jessica Jones issue, the guy is capable and willing, they just don't do it anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The Arrow fight choreography is strange, because when they did have an episode directed by the fight choreographer they were much better and inventive.

So it's not like the Jessica Jones issue, the guy is capable and willing, they just don't do it anymore.

I'm assuming that they just don't have the time (or money) for elaborate fight choreography every week.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I'm assuming that they just don't have the time (or money) for elaborate fight choreography every week.

This. Good choreography takes time and time is money, which they also don't have. Didn't the Arrow budget get slashed over the years? I could have sworn it was that or Flash or both that took a budget cut between seasons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the other company has that on lock

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I repeat my prayer "pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

I repeat my prayer "pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck"

My faith in this rests entirely on whether or not they're letting Jesse have his gently caress COMMUNISM zippo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Melissa Benoist just confirmed that the Supergirl/Flash crossover will include a race between the two.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Barry's gon' lose. Ain't nobody on Earth-5 to give him pep talks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Barry's gon' lose. Ain't nobody on Earth-5 to give him pep talks.

Zoom shows up at the end to steal Supergirl's speed so they never have to pay for the effects to have her use it again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one relatively consistent thing since CoIE is that the Flash is WAY faster than any Kryptonian. Like, I hope they have it be close because the race is in public, then do the 'that was for charity' bit or something like the Smallville beat where Bart literally keeps pace with Clark while going BACKWARD.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV Flash isn't very fast.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe/hopefully it's the alternate future Barry who waved our Barry off at the end of season 1 and isn't a total moron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

The one relatively consistent thing since CoIE is that the Flash is WAY faster than any Kryptonian. Like, I hope they have it be close because the race is in public, then do the 'that was for charity' bit or something like the Smallville beat where Bart literally keeps pace with Clark while going BACKWARD.

Only on the ground, Superman has been shown to be able to fly at pace with the Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

TV Flash isn't very fast.

Running through time seems pretty fast.