Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Luigi Thirty posted:

If I just want to watch some cool-rear end kickboxing what promotion should I watch?

The old-rear end Youtube account of the most defunct K1 branch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

MysteryNad posted:

He's had a page all ready to post for ages but it keeps getting rejected by one guy because wikipedia doesn't consider WSoF to be a notable org. Honestly, I can't fault that logic.

Marlon Moreas has a wikipedia page

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

If I just want to watch some cool-rear end kickboxing what promotion should I watch?

glory is really low rent these days, but they did manage to re-sign saki (he was supposed to be fighting cavalari on the last card but got injured). there's lots of kickboxing going on in china right now that's impossible to follow. but really the only org that's reliably putting on great shows is k-1 japan, they just had their 65kg japan tournament, but the schedule for the rest of the year is japan and world tournaments at 55, 60, and 65kg.

i can't stress enough that k-1 japan is the only kickboxing org that's consistently good and actually feels like kickboxing used to. they're slowly starting to put on heavyweight superfights (which i think is a bad idea but whatever) but the talent they've got at the lower weights is fantastic. their 55kg champion has a flatout ridiculous style but is probably the most exciting kickboxer on the planet right now as a result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JwfCivYGA

this was a goodass fight from the last tournament too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYLX0xC2X8

you can subscribe to their youtube channel where they post full fights a month or so after events, or watch on nicovideo if you're a weird guy who can figure that stuff out.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

You can't go wrong watching old K1 WGPs

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

glory is really low rent these days, but they did manage to re-sign saki (he was supposed to be fighting cavalari on the last card but got injured). there's lots of kickboxing going on in china right now that's impossible to follow. but really the only org that's reliably putting on great shows is k-1 japan, they just had their 65kg japan tournament, but the schedule for the rest of the year is japan and world tournaments at 55, 60, and 65kg.

i can't stress enough that k-1 japan is the only kickboxing org that's consistently good and actually feels like kickboxing used to. they're slowly starting to put on heavyweight superfights (which i think is a bad idea but whatever) but the talent they've got at the lower weights is fantastic. their 55kg champion has a flatout ridiculous style but is probably the most exciting kickboxer on the planet right now as a result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JwfCivYGA

this was a goodass fight from the last tournament too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYLX0xC2X8

you can subscribe to their youtube channel where they post full fights a month or so after events, or watch on nicovideo if you're a weird guy who can figure that stuff out.

takeru's corner looked so pumped when he landed the backflip

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheReverend posted:

You can't go wrong watching old K1 WGPs

*you almost can't go wrong watching old k1 wgps

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the 2012 "grand prix" is thoroughly in kickboxing fanfiction territory

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
justin gaethje has been indefinitely suspended for the heinous crime of backflipping

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Triticum Guzzler posted:

justin gaethje has been indefinitely suspended for the heinous crime of backflipping

UFC will never run in Colorado for fear of what they'd do to Sage

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I enjoy this sport, where they give you a golden belt if you savagely and deliberately kick a man's leg in half, but if you celebrate with a sweet backflip you will be punished for going too far

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

holy gently caress you guys weren't kidding. When lobstermobster first posted it I thought it was some kind of in joke that I had missed.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Justin-Gaethje-Suspended-Indefinitely-for-Unsportsmanlike-Conduct-at-WSOF-29-101903

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Throwing a couple of extra punches at a clearly unconscious opponent
"Congratulations on the win, friend!"

Flipping off the cage in joy over winning your fight
"You are a disgrace and you will not be permitted to compete in MMA you swine"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
is the point of that rule really sportsmanship or are they trying to reduce liability or wtf?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

In the NFL it's 15 yards, not depriving you of your livelihood for doing a funny dance or whatever. I, too, thought the original post about it was a joke. Dang.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I suspect in this case indefinitely is meant literally rather than "forever" and they will just give him a token suspension or fine. That or other commissions won't uphold it because they have no such rules

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Maybe it's a retroactive suspension for beating up Nick Newell

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/garyhgoodridge/status/709412804235661312

https://twitter.com/garyhgoodridge/status/709800054039703552

Makes sense, I always figured Trump's main demo was people with CTE

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't Goodridge Canadian?

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Jesus, Goodridge's Twitter is even more :smith: than I thought possible. Also, isn't he from Canada?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Yes, he is indeed Canadian

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I finally figured out who Roxy's "new and improved" teetering on stilts stance reminded me of.
None other than the Multiverse-surfing Saber-toothed River Dolphin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2U-zXoXAjo&t=5s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm trying to imagine a Terrance-and-Phillip style rendering of Gary Goodridge.

Probably like this. But three times as wide. And black. With lots of dents in his head.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Will WSOF 30 be worth watching? I'm gonna be in Vegas that weekend and general admission tickets are like $35 after convenience fees, I might just try to convince my friend to go with me and see my first live fights.

Card looks like this:

MMAJunkie.com posted:

Champ David Branch vs. Clifford Starks – for middleweight title
Jon Fitch vs. Joao Zeferino – for vacant welterweight title
Jake Heun vs. Vinny Magalhaes
Abu Azaitar vs. Danny Davis Jr.

No info about the prelims yet. Thanks in advance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You might see a cool sub and Fitch will definitely lead blanket a dude to win a belt. Sounds like $35 well spent.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JHomer722 posted:

Jesus, Goodridge's Twitter is even more :smith: than I thought possible. Also, isn't he from Canada?

I don't understand how people can think he is self made...

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
rizin's back thoroughly into eat poo poo territory: first headliner is fujita vs the tournament runner up with shitloads of knockouts

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

willie_dee posted:

I don't understand how people can think he is self made...

Probably because he tells them over and over and over and over and over and

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

rizin's back thoroughly into eat poo poo territory: first headliner is fujita vs the tournament runner up with shitloads of knockouts

are you loving kidding me

fujita hasn't won a fight since david rickels painted on walls, the last time he got knocked out he had old man conniptions and nearly died and that was six and a half loving years ago, is Inoki secretly hiding on the boardroom floor kicking their matchmakers in the kneecaps until they agree to make someone literally expire

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Electric Lady posted:

Will WSOF 30 be worth watching? I'm gonna be in Vegas that weekend and general admission tickets are like $35 after convenience fees, I might just try to convince my friend to go with me and see my first live fights.

Card looks like this:

No info about the prelims yet. Thanks in advance.

For $35 you should definitely see it. Live mma is a cool experience even when it's not top level.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

“I truly honestly believe that if it wasn’t for the pills that I’m taking, my life would have been done a long time ago. I would have taken my life, absolutely. Mental disability is a huge thing. It’s got me crippled," said noted dementia sufferer and Canadian Donald Trump supporter Gary Goodridge to Inside MMA in January. "My days suck. When I wake up, I feel like going back to bed. I could get a job, then I’d forget I had a job.”

I can't blame to guy for having bad opinions given that his head is all sorts of hosed up. Ostensibly sane and non-brain damaged Americans have supported Trump for worse reasons.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.mmaweekly.com/colorado-lifts-wsof-champ-justin-gaethjes-indefinite-suspension

quote:

Less than 24 hours after Justin Gaethje‘s indefinite suspension was revealed to the public, it has been lifted.

[...]

Josef Mason, director of the Colorado Boxing Commission, told MMAWeekly.com Wednesday morning that he simply wanted to be sure that Gaethje understood the “concern by the commission for the safety of all around the cageside area.”

After having a conversation with Gaethje on Tuesday, he was taken off suspension as of Wednesday morning.

lol :jerkbag:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Also Mayhem got arrested again

quote:

TMZ.com reported on Wednesday that the troubled former UFC and Strikeforce talent was arrested for vandalizing an Orange County, Calif., tattoo shop with graffiti in January.

Sherdog.com confirmed via online court records that Miller was taken into custody on Tuesday, with his bail set at $1 million. According to the report, that figure was so high because Miller was out on bail for a previous felony at the time of his arrest.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol https://www.gofundme.com/y3t6sf6s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno, I think those odds aren't stacked enough in RJJ's favour, maybe the dude should have to use only his right hand at fight time.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
https://twitter.com/FrankMerendaVV/status/710210358716272641

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Too much HBR

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Too much HBR

i think you meant HGH

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fatherdog posted:

For $35 you should definitely see it. Live mma is a cool experience even when it's not top level.

I think I already complained about this but the local rez here is doing a show this spring and seats start at 70. I'd pay $35 in heart beat for something that will surely be worse than Tachi Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

hell yeah.