Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

FELD1 posted:

'Parks and Recreation' is especially guilty.

I think the show or the book had a throwaway line about Pawnee's unusually elaborate city hall almost bankrupting the town (because it's actually Pasadena's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nexus6 posted:

Holy poo poo dude, I thought it was just a comical misspelling but I guess I'm a racist now? drat.

I believe you'll find his name is pronounced "Wil Smiff"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FELD1 posted:

No, that sounds accurate. Indiana's weird.

Speaking of Indiana: as a resident, I irrationally hate when shows or movies take place in Indiana. Most times it's obviously California or Vancouver. 'Parks and Recreation' is especially guilty. I get the reasoning behind it. You can't ship all your cast and crew to a flyover state just for realism because that would be stupid for a lot of reasons, but it still gets my goat for whatever reason.

Everywhere is Vancouver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

I believe you'll find his name is pronounced "Wil Smiff"

His name is Woll Smoth

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

That's true, but it just irks me that he's specific that, in the absence of any humans, the animals have evolved to kill humans. It's a throwaway line, he could have just said something along the lines of 'everything here is super bad-rear end now and if they evolved to kill each other, what chance do you think we have?'

I don't think it was a throwaway line because I remember that line from the movie and I've never actually seen it that I can recall. It had to have been in the trailer, right?

e: yep at 1:06, the whole speech is in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZIt20emgLY

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Whiz Palace posted:

I think the show or the book had a throwaway line about Pawnee's unusually elaborate city hall almost bankrupting the town (because it's actually Pasadena's).

I was watching a Veronica Mars episode, and was pretty amused to see police station was blatantly reused for Pawnee City Hall, including the ridiculous mural out in the hallway, the reception area for police is where the Parks and Rec Department is housed. Appropriately enough this was even in the episode guest starring Adam Scott.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

His name is Woll Smoth

https://youtu.be/Gj4-E5Hs3Kc

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Will Smith never loving said "Erf." He pronounced it correctly, and it's a irritating as poo poo this racist meme persists to this day.

Perfect post / username combo.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Perestroika posted:

The weird thing is that it also had this huge shift between seasons. In one season it was just pretty low-key guerilla-ing against an unknown enemy, with much of the mystery being about finding out what exactly the aliens' deal was. Then the next season there are suddenly like three more types of alien on earth working together with the humans and it took a completely different direction with no real explanation what actually happened between.

I feel like all TV dramas have this problem if they keep running for a while. There has to be super dramatic events happening all the time, yet none of it can be significant enough that it would alter or violate the premise of the show, so it just gets ultra convoluted as they pack more and more stuff inside a status quo that was designed to accommodate a single pilot episode. :lost:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cyberia posted:

Perfect post / username combo.

He's right, though?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Whiz Palace posted:

That must have been in the book, because that's a pretty funny tidbit that I would've remembered from the show. I looked up what city hall they used once (since it looks so drat decadent), and was not surprised to find it was SoCal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

More Supernatural. Everyone in this show is pants on head retarded. From God all the way down. So Lucifer is sealed in Hell right? Well there's 600 seals holding him in. Okay cool that's a lot of locks. But for some reason only 66 need to be broken and the only two set in stone are the first and last. That's like having a combination lock with a couple hundred number code but only a dozen numbers matter. Why is this a thing? That's a terrible system.

Imagine a box with an angry bear being held shut by 100 strings. Not all 100 strings have to break before the bear can break the rest from the inside.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, Die Hard 2. Having your character go "this is so crazy that I'm doing all this stuff again" does not mean you can just have him do that stuff again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Imagine a box with an angry bear being held shut by 100 strings. Not all 100 strings have to break before the bear can break the rest from the inside.

Ok, so why did God use such lovely locks?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jedit posted:

If I were God I'm pretty sure I would put the angry bear in a steel cage surrounded by a hundred more steel cages instead of using strings

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Time works the same way.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FELD1 posted:

Speaking of Indiana: as a resident, I irrationally hate when shows or movies take place in Indiana. Most times it's obviously California or Vancouver. 'Parks and Recreation' is especially guilty. I get the reasoning behind it. You can't ship all your cast and crew to a flyover state just for realism because that would be stupid for a lot of reasons, but it still gets my goat for whatever reason.

I grew up in Noblesville, man, I know just how weird this place is :hf:

I think the funniest example of what you're talking about is some terrible SyFy movie that, at one point, had the heroes driving from Kentucky to Indiana (or vice-versa). They drive over land through completely flat terrain. 99% of the Indiana/Kentucky border is the Ohio River and there's a series of small mountains on the Indiana side.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

Seriously shouldn't God be able to make a lock that only he can open? Isn't that part of being God? Phenomenal cosmic powers and all that jazz

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FELD1 posted:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Who What Now posted:

God wanted it to fail. It was all part of the plan for the end. Everybody assumed that it was humans that were going away instead of it being set up for humans to eliminate all of the powers that be.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ChogsEnhour posted:

I only saw it the once but I could have swore there were big cat things (bigger, cattier things) that tried to kill Jake and those big eagle things tried to eat them too?

Right up until he dominated it with his floppy head penis.

Turns out Pandora monsters just need some good deep dicking with brain tentacles.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Gorilla Salad posted:

Turns out Pandora monsters just need some good deep dicking

Oh NOW I get why everyone wants to live there.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

He's right, though?

Now, now, let's not something as silly as "facts" get in the way of a perfectly good :iceburn: that has never, ever been used before.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Supernatural yet again. Canton, Ohio doesn't have a wax museum. And from my googling the only one in this section of the state is in Mansfield and is a Biblical Wax Museum.

Also I know compared to other places it is but Canton isn't exactly a small town like the episode description says it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There also isn't a giant devil's trap made from railway lines in Wyoming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Screaming Idiot posted:

Now, now, let's not something as silly as "facts" get in the way of a perfectly good :iceburn: that has never, ever been used before.

Cmon man, black people talk like this, & white people talk like this

Or vice versa, I haven't checked the race manual for a bit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

There also isn't a giant devil's trap made from railway lines in Wyoming.

Except I'm not 15 minutes away from Wyoming so drat it that's an irrationally irritating moment

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

Supernatural yet again. Canton, Ohio doesn't have a wax museum. And from my googling the only one in this section of the state is in Mansfield and is a Biblical Wax Museum.

Also I know compared to other places it is but Canton isn't exactly a small town like the episode description says it is.

It's an alternate reality.

I'm annoyed that in Vampire Diaries there are vampires because vampires aren't teal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

It's an alternate reality.

I'm annoyed that in Vampire Diaries there are vampires because vampires aren't teal.

What color are they then?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Eggshell white.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

vampires are obviously colored like sighs

*sighs* (deeper the better by the way, as the anne rice vampires said)

like,
literally cant you tell?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

What color are they then?

It's 2016 and frankly you should be ashamed at this racist thinking of what color matters. #AllVampsMatter

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Hey, as long as they sparkle.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

ChogsEnhour posted:

Hahah made me laugh how people were depressed because they couldn't live on Pandora. Like the very first thing the dude says is, "This planetcountry is a hell hole and everything is deadly and will kill you."

Yet people still dream about moving to and living in Australia too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't they just discover a new species of spider there that dives and swims underwater to catch fish and ducks or something like that?

Australia, not Pandora.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Didn't they just discover a new species of spider there that dives and swims underwater to catch fish and ducks or something like that?

Australia, not Pandora.

I wouldn't be surprised if they found some snake-headed flying scorpion the size of a horse with enough venom in a single bite (or sting) to kill a few hundred bears. That country is just hosed up with it's evolutionary branches.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I watched some Halo CG movie on Netflix today, and I don't know what I was expecting but I didn't think I'd be watching Ender's Game again already.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

dpack_1 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they found some snake-headed flying scorpion the size of a horse with enough venom in a single bite (or sting) to kill a few hundred bears. That country is just hosed up with it's evolutionary branches.

Let's be honest, if that idiot Smith kid was dropped into modern day Australia he would have worse odds surviving anywhere outside the cities. gently caress, even in the cities with the drat spiders and snakes and poo poo that's a cassowary gently caress IT RUN.

Australia is what happens when evolution says: gently caress it, venom for everything! And make some of them super tiny too.

Hell if the zombie apocalypse first started in Australia would anyone think it was abnormal, or just that some blokes got sunstroke and didn't get treatment for some bite?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's be honest, if that idiot Smith kid was dropped into modern day Australia he would have worse odds surviving anywhere outside the cities. gently caress, even in the cities with the drat spiders and snakes and poo poo that's a cassowary gently caress IT RUN.

Australia is what happens when evolution says: gently caress it, venom for everything! And make some of them super tiny too.

Hell if the zombie apocalypse first started in Australia would anyone think it was abnormal, or just that some blokes got sunstroke and didn't get treatment for some bite?

They'd just think the guy was a Ciggy-Butt Brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Captain American trailer reminded me of something that always takes me out of movies: when they show footage of an event that has happened in a show/movie, from the perspective from which it was filmed in the show/movie.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Mar 14, 2016