Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My favorite drawback is "cannot benefit from the warlord trait of an allied warlord." That one is all over Sons of Horus stuff. No fortifications is good too.

panascope fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Fortiwhat?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It would seem that way with sweeping advances. "Units with Hardened Armour reduce the distance rolled for charges, sweeping advances, and run moves by 1""

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Was that a thing in 5th? I stopped playing halfway through 4th (and was like 15 and played tau, I don't remember CC mechanics) and didn't start until 6th dropped, but it seems like a lot of things were made with that as a basis.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 12, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Not to my knowledge, probably in 4th.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

Can anyone tell me why Forge World seems to think that forcing units to sweeping advance is a negative trait? In what world are you not going to at least attempt to sweep? The Iron Hands' Immortals even have an ability that lets them snapfire instead of attempting. I can think of maybe like two scenarios where that'd be used. Do they still think a unit that successfully catches an opponent also jumps forward 2d6" and that restraining pursuit is a tactical decision? That would make some sense. :downs:

Cataphractii character? (At least for the Medusan Immortals--the Word Bearers thing, for example, seems unfathomably corner-case.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

My favorite drawback is "cannot benefit from the warlord trait of an allied warlord." That one is all over Sons of Horus stuff. No fortifications is good too.
Along these lines, the Ravenwing RoW doesn't allow an allied detachment and on top of that, it has another special rule called Inviolate and Alone. That rule says that Dark Angels models can never benefit from the leadership of any model without LA(DA) nor may they be joined by characters not part of their detachment. What. There's also a Blood Angels RoW that forces them to always sweep. They already have to according to their legion rules. So now they're doubly forced to sweep? There's even yet another special character that counts as having leadership 7 for psychic powers.

Can someone please tell Forge World that this stuff is kind of goofy? It's not game-breaking or anything, but it really comes across like they don't necessarily know the rules of the current edition. They might need to take a refresher course on 7th. It's especially frustrating to see them update old characters and rules for 7th in FAQs or updated releases and then continue to write new rules as if the game is still in 6th or even earlier editions.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

Along these lines, the Ravenwing RoW doesn't allow an allied detachment and on top of that, it has another special rule called Inviolate and Alone. That rule says that Dark Angels models can never benefit from the leadership of any model without LA(DA) nor may they be joined by characters not part of their detachment. What. There's also a Blood Angels RoW that forces them to always sweep. They already have to according to their legion rules. So now they're doubly forced to sweep? There's even yet another special character that counts as having leadership 7 for psychic powers.

Can someone please tell Forge World that this stuff is kind of goofy? It's not game-breaking or anything, but it really comes across like they don't necessarily know the rules of the current edition. They might need to take a refresher course on 7th. It's especially frustrating to see them update old characters and rules for 7th in FAQs or updated releases and then continue to write new rules as if the game is still in 6th or even earlier editions.

I'm 99% sure it's less that they don't know what's in 7th and more that nobody will tell them what's in 8th or when it's coming. They've said repeatedly and publicly (and wearily) that they're trying to future-proof, and they cited the upgrade ability given by Night Lords Praevians to their Castellax as a specific example. Some of those things you're mentioning sound like they already confront existing exceptions, such as Agents of the Emperor / Warmaster that don't use Allied Detachments.

EDIT: obviously there are also loads of dumb typos and editing errors

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 12, 2016

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

TTerrible posted:

So, tonight I've started to look at the plastic BAC tactical squads that I picked up. Looking at the instructions, it seems to indicate that torso back B13 can only go with front B11 and B12. Looking at the sprues, they look exactly the same as all the others. Am I missing something?

The difference is very subtle - the segments of the chest hoses are a little bit larger than the others, and it follows on to that back piece. Not sure it was really worth making a different back for them, it's not like you see much of the rear hoses once the backpack is on.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Galaspar posted:

The difference is very subtle - the segments of the chest hoses are a little bit larger than the others, and it follows on to that back piece. Not sure it was really worth making a different back for them, it's not like you see much of the rear hoses once the backpack is on.

Ahhh right, I guess that would be more obvious if I'd taken them off the sprue. That does seem like a lot of effort to go to for two torso designs. Thanks!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

What units in 30k actually have Slow and Purposeful now? The Long March has that as a drawback: no S&P units without transports or deep strike but since they removed S&P from Cataphractii Armor I can't think of what else has it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

panascope posted:

What units in 30k actually have Slow and Purposeful now? The Long March has that as a drawback: no S&P units without transports or deep strike but since they removed S&P from Cataphractii Armor I can't think of what else has it.

When was S&P removed from Cataphractii?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Panascope.

Update the OP.

Neck beard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I found the answer, no sweat.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Anybody know if these will fit the sides of the Storm Eagle?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Blood-Angels-Rhino-and-Front-Plate

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 13, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

According to tge internet. Yes.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/299418-stormraven-doors-are-they-similar-to-rhino-and-land-raider/

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Very few and most of them are admech. The only marine unit I can think of with S&P was Cataphractii.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Admech are lumbering advance, not S&P.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Along these lines, the Ravenwing RoW doesn't allow an allied detachment and on top of that, it has another special rule called Inviolate and Alone. That rule says that Dark Angels models can never benefit from the leadership of any model without LA(DA) nor may they be joined by characters not part of their detachment.

Might be for Agents? E.g. Knight-Errants, the Navigator?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Probably yeah. I guess also from rare instances like in apocalypse or special scenarios or whatnot.

Also allow me to rant for a second. Starting with Spartans. What the gently caress is up with those tanks. Why does anyone think its a good idea to shove 900 points worth of units into a 350 point tank? They pull this poo poo and then get mad when they dont win because their spartan gets immobilized/destroyed turn one. Have some loving contingency plans. Why does anyone think its fun to have half of your army in one transport?

Secondly: Why the gently caress are people making bases that are 3/4s the height of their models?`At what point will this basesize inflation stop? It just looks ridiculous at this point.

Germ
May 7, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do people get their ZM boards?

If you can wait a month or 3, I've been working on a set of ZM-compatible walls to cast in resin. If it turns out to be cost-effective, I'll likely kickstart them to make a couple sets of production molds.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Admech are lumbering advance, not S&P.

Yarp, you're right. Funny you immediately knew I was thinking about myrmidons

DJ Dizzy posted:

Probably yeah. I guess also from rare instances like in apocalypse or special scenarios or whatnot.

Also allow me to rant for a second. Starting with Spartans. What the gently caress is up with those tanks. Why does anyone think its a good idea to shove 900 points worth of units into a 350 point tank? They pull this poo poo and then get mad when they dont win because their spartan gets immobilized/destroyed turn one. Have some loving contingency plans. Why does anyone think its fun to have half of your army in one transport?

Secondly: Why the gently caress are people making bases that are 3/4s the height of their models?`At what point will this basesize inflation stop? It just looks ridiculous at this point.

I feel you about Spartans. They were really popular when the game first came out, but have since waned a little bit in popularity. Yes, for the points they are awesome, but they still suffer from landraider syndrome. You can still nuke or block one for less points than it costs. For smaller games especially I've been avoiding using them, but hey I've never really been a fan of landraiders.

As for super tall bases, no idea. It's never been my thing either. How short was the person who you played against?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Crappy shot of my EC force from today.

Don't Spartans have flare shields and ceramite? How are you guys destroying them in one turn?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I don't have any Spartan experience, but how has the Xiphon been treating you?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
OK so do I just need the two red books to get the complete army lists? I'm going in circles with this :argh: I've got Betrayal but I can't be dealing with £500 of other giant hardbacks.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Yarp, you're right. Funny you immediately knew I was thinking about myrmidons

Cuz im a nerd who really likes 30k.

muggins posted:

Don't Spartans have flare shields and ceramite? How are you guys destroying them in one turn?

Flare shields only affect what hits the front, so stuff like medusas dont care.
My personal favorite is a side-on from Lascannon havocs, and now I dont need the master of signal to boost them to bs5!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

muggins posted:

Enough land speeders to make Rommel feel insecure about his speed of advance. Haywire is an equal-opportunity wrecker.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Hencoe posted:

Cuz im a nerd who really likes 30k.

Flare shields only affect what hits the front, so stuff like medusas dont care.
My personal favorite is a side-on from Lascannon havocs, and now I dont need the master of signal to boost them to bs5!

I could definitely see ordnance doing it, but you'd be playing a pretty bad player if they turned their flare shielded land raider side armor to an entire dev squad lol

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

You don't give them options. I usually run quad launchers with shatter shells and a dodo, plus a Kheres Mortis or two. They WILL glance av14 to death without the flare shield. It's just weight of dice with the rerolls. Since everything is multi-purpose I don't lose out if one isn't taken.

I've yet to fight multiple Spartan lists though.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 14, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A dual grav contemptor in a pod or a lightning with krakens are popular ways to deal with them. Otherwise grav rapiers, medusas, infiltrating breachers, angry tactors, or vanquishers with tank hunter.

They are good unit, make no mistake, but they have all the problems of a single landraider. Eggs in one basket etc.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's the best non-flyer, non-reserve way to deploy your ~~DeAtH sTaR~~

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Do any of you nerds know whether FW sells these stickers (mostly the eye of Horus one) online?

I've found some redbubble sellers who sling their own not-as-good versions of Legion insignia, but I'd prefer to grip legit ones to show everyone how much of a loser I am. I asked the guy on Instagram and he said they were in a weekender goody bag.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Can I use the BA tactical box shoulderpads for my 30k mandollies? I like them more than the FW ones, but muh immersion.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can I use the BA tactical box shoulderpads for my 30k mandollies? I like them more than the FW ones, but muh immersion.

If you're using the Mk.IV armor from the calth set, the difference will be the bezel around the edge of the pauldron. The Mk.IV pauldrons have a very thin bezel at the extreme edges, whereas the MK.VII armor has huge, thick bezels.

It's not a major difference, but those who know, will know.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I need some of that autocannon and volkite in my goony life.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The autocannon is the best heavy weapon they've ever done.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

The autocannon is the best heavy weapon they've ever done.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I tried this on a model and it looked very odd unless you do both shoulder pads. Still even with both pads the 40k BA emblems look off and out of proportion on the MIV models.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2016

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Wish there was one for an underslung lascannon.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

Wish there was one for an underslung lascannon.

I think there were a bunch of these things previewed at the weekender. Every heavy weapon is getting an underslung version like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Dumb:

Not bad:

Awesome: