Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bowser is canonically a hot father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga posted:

I don't think I actually ever played last-gen DA.

They should make a new Super Mario cartoon where Bowser is Peach's highschool bf who's really cool but incredibly immature and Mario is now her fiancé and Bowser is trying to win her back.

lastgen da uses the chaos theory engine and is by the chaos theory team instead of the new people they got to do nextgen da

its way, way better

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I listened to most of the How Nintendo Conquered America audiobook at work today and I couldn't stop being annoyed that the guy calls it "Mario's Party" instead of "Mario Party"

Is that a typo in the original book or what

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i think yuri is having a good day, he does not scream when he transofrms into a hell monster anymore

Yuri is a cool dude

Hopefully you didn't miss the important missable stuff that can prevent you from doing some of the sidequest stuff later

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Yuri is a cool dude

Hopefully you didn't miss the important missable stuff that can prevent you from doing some of the sidequest stuff later

FirstAidKite, I hope you are having a good day.

I am. The Division is pretty fun when playing with people. However, there's a skill that shows you all the collectibles on the map and when I got it, the game puked a bunch of blue Ubi-collectathon vomit all over my map and I am just ignoring it and focusing away from the idea of doing any of that BS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got a new computer desk, just finished watching Arcade Pit, and am now going to try Hitman 2016

It is a good day~

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

I got a new computer desk, just finished watching Arcade Pit, and am now going to try Hitman 2016

It is a good day~

I desperately need a new computer desk. The metal monstrosity I have is so annoying that I actively dislike using my computer, which was kind of the point, but now there are all these PC games I want to play.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually now that I have a roomy computer desk I could get my joystick out and have another go at Elite: Dangerous

Miles wide inch deep, I know, but god damnit I love space games!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ciaphas posted:

Actually now that I have a roomy computer desk I could get my joystick out and have another go at Elite: Dangerous

Ignoring the obvious double entendre, Elite looks so beautiful and so cool. I'd like to buy it a few years from now when there are more features and I actually have a comp capable of running it.

It's kind of amazing that this is possible in video games today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku3HDxmCc0

Guy ran out of fuel before landing, thinks of an alternative that I can't believe was implemented.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

FirstAidKite, I hope you are having a good day.

I am. The Division is pretty fun when playing with people. However, there's a skill that shows you all the collectibles on the map and when I got it, the game puked a bunch of blue Ubi-collectathon vomit all over my map and I am just ignoring it and focusing away from the idea of doing any of that BS.

thank you, I am having a good day. I am playing hyrule warriors with my fiancee and hunting for golden skulltulas, and she made chicken soup today, and is baking a cake right now, and I am excited because part 4 of jojo's bizarre adventure anime is gonna start on the first of april :D

I am glad that you are having a good day and a good time with Tom Clancy's The Division

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

thank you, I am having a good day. I am playing hyrule warriors with my fiancee and hunting for golden skulltulas, and she made chicken soup today, and is baking a cake right now, and I am excited because part 4 of jojo's bizarre adventure anime is gonna start on the first of april :D

I am glad that you are having a good day and a good time with Tom Clancy's The Division

My BF is excited too even though I keep trying to tell him that Part 4 is bad :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

My BF is excited too even though I keep trying to tell him that Part 4 is bad :colbert:

I'm not going to get into an argument here about which parts of jojo are good or bad, but I will say that I disagree with you greatly and that if you don't enjoy part 4, then I'm surprised because part 4 is just a lot of fun

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Elite Dangerous looks exactly like the type of game I'd love because Space Game and physics and trading stuff and killing pirates but everyone says it's such a grind. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Elite Dangerous looks exactly like the type of game I'd love because Space Game and physics and trading stuff and killing pirates but everyone says it's such a grind. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

The problem is less that it's grindy (though it is if you want the really expensive ships), more that after about half an hour of any given activity you will have seen the entirety of that activity; there's not much nuance or depth to any one thing you can do in the game

Depending on my mood, that's either a dealbreaker or a "whatever, I just want something to tune out on while I listen to podcasts" thing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not going to get into an argument here about which parts of jojo are good or bad, but I will say that I disagree with you greatly and that if you don't enjoy part 4, then I'm surprised because part 4 is just a lot of fun

All JoJos Are Good but Part 4 is probably the one I like the least. I should probably hate the first more but I can't help love how earnest it is in its inspirations.

Also the anime is very meh, it's not offensive or really all that bad but the animation is very bland and it's incredibly obvious when and where they have to cut corners.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

All JoJos Are Good but Part 4 is probably the one I like the least. I should probably hate the first more but I can't help love how earnest it is in its inspirations.

Also the anime is very meh, it's not offensive or really all that bad but the animation is very bland and it's incredibly obvious when and where they have to cut corners.

You are entitled to your opinions and I highly disagree with them

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wish I could find it but there's a scene in part three where a guy gets off the ground but like they didn't bother to re-draw his face so it looks like somebody in photoshop is dragging it around and resizing it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The problem with DIAMOND IS NOT CRASH is that it follows the widely perceived best part, and followed by the first example of the creator going insane with weird stands. So it feels less cool than it would if it was bookended by stone ocean or part two.

That said, part four has the best final battle. And the only big bad that is as entertaining as Dio.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

I wish I could find it but there's a scene in part three where a guy gets off the ground but like they didn't bother to re-draw his face so it looks like somebody in photoshop is dragging it around and resizing it.

Yeah that happens in a lot of broadcast stuff, it's generally the blurays that look better, sometimes broadcast stuff is pretty funny tho

Like season 1 had a really low budget so it's funny seeing some of the stuff from the original broadcast vs the blurays

lmao

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The second to last episode of Stardust had some pretty funny really off-model DIO moments too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
im the complete lack of definition on the fingers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funny thing is that while everybody hates the stardust crusaders ova, the way it handles the fight with dio is one of the most loving awesome things ever and consistently ridiculously well-animated

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

the funny thing is that while everybody hates the stardust crusaders ova, the way it handles the fight with dio is one of the most loving awesome things ever and consistently ridiculously well-animated
It didn't have ROAD ROLLER DA! so it is instantly inferior.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo, somebody has to beat my Mario Maker level, the ID is DD0D-0000-01F6-50BC

it's pretty hardcore I can understand if you don't have what it takes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'll play your level after Venture Brothers.

I keep falling really behind on this thread.

I beat Sleeping Dogs this week. Overall a really cool game and open world games in general aren't my favorite but it did everything in a fun enough way that I enjoyed it overall. I do sort of wish it was more like Yakuza in that the gunplay, while serviceable, was still far weaker than just beating people up and I wish they just focused on that overall. I also sort of wish I just skipped the dlc. Nightmare was kinda cool in concept and even in design, but it was really short and repetitive depsite the shortness and really you've seen almost all it offers with in the first few missions with it not really building to anything interesting. Year of the Snake was even worse with just kind of dull and redundant missions and some really boring and annoying side missions. They weren't awful but they were a huge step down from the base game and overall left me with a more underwhelmed last impression than I overall would have had.

I also have been playing AAC and Broforce and both are really fun in their own way. AAC is the better game but Broforce is a dumb good time. Any game where, as Macgyver, I can throw dynamite on a guy who then runs screaming towards his friends and then blows them all up along with a pile of explosive barrels which then take s a huge chunk out of the level can't be all bad.

I've also been playing EDF with a friend and we're getting close to the end of the initial game and of course that game rules. I am kind of disappointed that I spent a large amount of time grinding for a better laser on the beach, and I finally got one only to discover that despite being a higher level, it was still worse than the one I was using. I still did get some good new stuff for my Wing Diver so it wasn't a waste overall with.

I've also been playing through VNs with the same friend. We kind of started by playing through Hatoful Boyfriends on a whim (well actually we started with Arcsys games which eventually were so VN like that I figured it would be easy to just also play some actual VN) and since we've moved onto Walking Dead Season 1 (which is technically a different but close enough genre) but we're through that and now on Stein;Gate which I got on sale and even though I'm not even through the first chapter is WAY better and smarter than I was expecting.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I found a write-up from a patent troll defense lawyer about the different court cases where games have been sued for infringement, it's pretty cool.

http://pnwstartuplawyer.com/copyright/software/copyright-illustrated-video-game-clones/

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yo, somebody has to beat my Mario Maker level, the ID is DD0D-0000-01F6-50BC

it's pretty hardcore I can understand if you don't have what it takes

It'd probably be easier for people if you just posted the bookmark link instead of the code.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sam Faust posted:

It'd probably be easier for people if you just posted the bookmark link instead of the code.

Oh, well...uh...where do I find that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have had considerable fun this evening finding different ways to murder this chess spy wiener in Hitman 2016, quite happy I've bought in

I'm also quite happy I turned off the Opportunities thing, finding them on my own is fancy

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

I found a write-up from a patent troll defense lawyer about the different court cases where games have been sued for infringement, it's pretty cool.

http://pnwstartuplawyer.com/copyright/software/copyright-illustrated-video-game-clones/

drat, there are a poo poo ton of uncreative people out there.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's been said before but Contradiction is a lot of fun, Jenks is the perfect amount of goofiness for an FMV adventure game protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElE-ig-7cTw

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

In general it'd be nice if videogames were allowed to be morally complex without turning into grimdark edginess but you don't get Square Enix funding by making players feel bad.

Maybe if I convince the whole games media to shame their readers they will buy my morally complex videogame that makes players feel bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Maybe if I convince the whole games media to shame their readers they will buy my morally complex videogame that makes players feel bad.

i mean most other forms of media have done pretty okay with the spectrum of negative emotions

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Looper posted:

i mean most other forms of media have done pretty okay with the spectrum of negative emotions

Well, other forms of entertainent are more apt for 2 hours stories, so that you can feel bad but not oppressed. Anything longer gets serialized. A 16 hours game ouching negative emotions? I don't think anyone will end one game and then go impulse buying its sequel.
On top of that in gaming 2 hours are the minimum you need for reaching the end of the tutorials and understanding the difference between stuff you can interact with and stuff you can't touch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

I like the old 90s OVA, even if it didn't have anywhere near as much fabulousness as the manga. I thought most people just didn't like the 2000s ova where it was absolutely horrid and ugly as sin, even tho it had at least 1 cool animation sequence.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Looper posted:

Videogames have to deal with the spectrum of autism though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

limaCAT posted:

drat, this kind of fresh insight was totally worth waiting for three pages.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Healbot posted:

Videogames have to deal with the spectrum of autism though.

well yeah, he's a mod of this subforum

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

limaCAT posted:

To be fair, Ubisoft games are great at making you feel bad and that's not just a crack about them being poo poo. And people seem to deal with that ok. The Division Rioters faction as a whole are depressing and make you feel bad to shoot, especially when you listen to some of the audio logs and learn a lot of them are normal but desperate people trying to keep their families safe.

Luckily they are only antagonists early on and you end up fighting some much worse psychopaths. I guess the idea is that most of the rioters would have stopped and started helping out once the JTF starts successfully bringing stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

limaCAT posted:

Well, other forms of entertainent are more apt for 2 hours stories, so that you can feel bad but not oppressed. Anything longer gets serialized. A 16 hours game ouching negative emotions? I don't think anyone will end one game and then go impulse buying its sequel.
On top of that in gaming 2 hours are the minimum you need for reaching the end of the tutorials and understanding the difference between stuff you can interact with and stuff you can't touch.

Well, not every game has to be 16 hours. Undertale is like a 3-hour game and manages to be quite effective in that time. Horror games tend to exist as an anomaly, serving to make the player feel less empowered and less good about themselves, so I think that anything is possible.

The emotional tone of the game can be dreary as gently caress so long as the mechanics engage the player.

• Locked thread