Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Microsoft really borked FTP in W10. I just spent 2 hours doing something that literally took about 60 seconds in W7, uploading a file to an ftp server. No matter what I do, or what instructions I follow, I can only access the server anonymously (maybe?), in the end I was able to upload my file but it never asked for username/pass. It is also incredibly slow and file explorer crashed about 50% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

wormil posted:

Microsoft really borked FTP in W10. I just spent 2 hours doing something that literally took about 60 seconds in W7, uploading a file to an ftp server. No matter what I do, or what instructions I follow, I can only access the server anonymously (maybe?), in the end I was able to upload my file but it never asked for username/pass. It is also incredibly slow and file explorer crashed about 50% of the time.

Buying flashfxp for :10bux: is something I've never regretted.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Installing WinSCP for free works pretty well too. Use Ninite to make it even easier.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Khablam posted:

Seems they do a poo poo load of filtering / block particular services based on the server its on (torrents / P2P) based on protocol inspection so at a guess, they're not allowing those connections for some reason. Possibly a false positive, possibly "protecting you from tracking".
The issue isn't Windows [10] but a bad VPN.

Okay, thanks; I think I can whitelist those services, so I'll look into that.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

redeyes posted:

Not a single mom n pop type user I have ever met knows how to Start -> type.

Exactly. Thats why they use the shortcut on desktop for internet/word/solitaire.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

Buying flashfxp for :10bux: is something I've never regretted.

Filezilla is a good free alternative.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikusR posted:

Exactly. Thats why they use the shortcut on desktop for internet/word/solitaire.

Is that really that different from the full-screen start menu though? Unpin the stuff they don't use, pin the ones they do, and now they have nice giant buttons for exactly what they want. It'd be functionally the same except they hit the Start button instead of minimizing open windows.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manky posted:

Filezilla is a good free alternative.
Just read a couple of days ago somwhere around these forums that it came with crap in the installer now. Don't remember what, but it sounded pretty bad.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just read a couple of days ago somwhere around these forums that it came with crap in the installer now. Don't remember what, but it sounded pretty bad.

Mobaxterm is also good.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Flipperwaldt posted:

That was likely SourceForge's doing. They had crapware wrappers around every installer downloaded for a long time. And that's all I can find about crap in FileZilla installers.

Ninite installing gets around it, and I'm pretty sure the SF thing is no longer an issue (new owners).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alright, I dug up the post from like two weeks ago that got me uncomfortable about recommending Filezilla:

Alereon posted:

Mostly the bundled malware, and the author being a complete shitlord about it. The exchange was something like "It's not malware, you can uncheck the box during installation" "Okay it still installs if the box isn't checked, but it uninstalls with the program" "Okay it installs if the box isn't checked and actively resists removal, but it's mentioned deep in the EULA so gently caress you and don't post about it on my forums, this is how I make money."
From the context in the thread it came from, it seemed a direct answer to the question of what was wrong with Filezilla. So I'm thinking "author" = author of Filezilla here. But I could be wrong about that. The wider discussion of whether Sourcefourge could be trusted now was also ongoing.

Anyway, that's all I've got. Any recent first hand information will absolutely trump that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Use ninite to install it, as mentioned. I think I've used the normal installer recently and it didn't forcibly install crapware, but I'm not 100% on that because I do normally use ninite.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Manky posted:

Use ninite to install it, as mentioned. I think I've used the normal installer recently and it didn't forcibly install crapware, but I'm not 100% on that because I do normally use ninite.

This is the answer. Ninite pull programs if there's no way to completely opt out of crapware.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

This is the answer. Ninite pull programs if there's no way to completely opt out of crapware.

I've been using Ninite for 7 years now and it has not once deployed any spyware.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does edge seem slower to anyone else after this weeks rounds of updates (normal updates, not on fast/slow ring)?

Seems like it takes a lot longer to start up now, and navigation and such feels sluggish.

EDIT:

I guess if anyone else runs into this, clearing all my browser data seemed to fix this issue.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 11, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have added a VPN to my Network Settings and have the "Network" icon showing in my task bar. When I click on the Network icon a little thing pops up showing the VPN name and if I clicked on it it opens up the Network & Internet menu option and then I can click on the VPN name and choose 'connect.' Is there a way to make it so that when I clicked on the name of my VPN setup in the network icon that it'll just connect to it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to take the 'nuke it from orbit and start over' approach to some Windows problems I've been having. I think they're bad drivers/software rather than Windows itself but I've run out of patience trying to untangle the two.

If I choose to use the Reset PC stuff (wherever that is, I'm not at home, I forget if it's an F8 thing or what), does that require a Win10 disk or USB key? If I choose to wipe out all mystuff in the reset process, does that make it effectively equal to a complete format and reinstall?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ciaphas posted:

I want to take the 'nuke it from orbit and start over' approach to some Windows problems I've been having. I think they're bad drivers/software rather than Windows itself but I've run out of patience trying to untangle the two.

If I choose to use the Reset PC stuff (wherever that is, I'm not at home, I forget if it's an F8 thing or what), does that require a Win10 disk or USB key? If I choose to wipe out all mystuff in the reset process, does that make it effectively equal to a complete format and reinstall?

Worth a shot but I don't know if it'll fix your driver matters so make an install stick anyway.

Also if it IS driver matters, note that, say, nVidia leaves gigs of old drivers around both in Program Files and System32/DriverStore unless you do a clean install - and if you do a clean install with an internet connection active Windows will see a GPU with no driver and grab it from Windows Update so unplug/airplane first.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

Reset will not require a key. You should definitely try a repair install before nuking everything with a reset. To do that you will need a Win 10 ISO for Home or Pro. Just run the setup.exe and choose upgrade when asked.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Worth a shot but I don't know if it'll fix your driver matters so make an install stick anyway.

Also if it IS driver matters, note that, say, nVidia leaves gigs of old drivers around both in Program Files and System32/DriverStore unless you do a clean install - and if you do a clean install with an internet connection active Windows will see a GPU with no driver and grab it from Windows Update so unplug/airplane first.

gently caress. I'd run through the DDU rigmarole yesterday but I didn't think to unplug from the network while I installed the new drivers after returning from Safe Mode. Sounds worth trying first.

I got Win10 on free upgrade from 8.1 (itself a Win7 upgrade key) and I've looong lost track of that license key, will either Repair or Reset require me to have it? If so I'd have to buy a new copy of Win10. Not the worst thing in the world I guess, but still.

While on the subject, is there a 'canonical' way to get a Win10 ISO and get it onto a USB key? I find that every time I have to do this the process or software used to get it bootable on the key (BIOS, UEFI, boot method, whatever) or download method is sliiightly different.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ciaphas posted:

I got Win10 on free upgrade from 8.1 (itself a Win7 upgrade key) and I've looong lost track of that license key, will either Repair or Reset require me to have it? If so I'd have to buy a new copy of Win10. Not the worst thing in the world I guess, but still.

Nope! Tell the installer you don't have a key (if it even asks) and it'll reactivate against your hardware profile.

quote:

While on the subject, is there a 'canonical' way to get a Win10 ISO and get it onto a USB key? I find that every time I have to do this the process or software used to get it bootable on the key (BIOS, UEFI, boot method, whatever) or download method is sliiightly different.

Yup! In Windows, download and use the Media Creation Tool. Out of Windows, just get the ISO.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Nope! Tell the installer you don't have a key (if it even asks) and it'll reactivate against your hardware profile.

Yup! In Windows, download and use the Media Creation Tool. Out of Windows, just get the ISO.

Fantastic, thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting the crashing and random bullshit to stop for a while.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I did the free upgrade to 10 and now I'm getting BSOD with the message memory_management. Never happened before with 8.1. I did some searching online and found some forum posts where users had the same issue, but do any of you know if there's a decent article out there somewhere on this topic and why it's happening to me now?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Please can from this place Ihave too much to deal with the real world.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh boy, the Windows 10 upgrade being a recommended update is having its effect finally. Seems like pretty much any tech forum is reporting surprise upgrades.

It appears like it installs itself, then starts up with a License Agreement, which you have to decline to rollback to your previous Windows version. What the gently caress backwards logic is that, anyway? How about asking beforehand?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

By checking 'automatically install recommended upgrades' you've already said yes beforehand.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, my dad has 8 computers in his office and I'd only upgraded half of them to Windows 10 to ease into things. Went in yesterday to find out two of the remaining computers had upgraded themselves. That sure would have been exciting had the main computer upgraded itself and needed to be set up before anything else in the office would work.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So does anyone know what the big important update for windows 10 was that required a reboot with no warning, and brought me to the windows 10 installation screen?

I've been running 10 since it came out, I shut down nightly so updates always get done. I logged in this morning to a message - windows needs to update and will restart in 15 minutes. For the past 20 minutes I've been staring at basically the windows 10 installer. Right now it's apparently installing features and drivers, which seems a little out of scope of a windows update.

I've normally been pretty blase about the whole forced automatic updates thing they've been pulling, but this is pretty loving bullshit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I found a workaround for my VPN issue, I just need to open whatever Microsoft apps I feel like I'm going to want to use first, then connect to the VPN; there doesn't seem to be any issue after that regardless of whether I close and re-open the apps.

That said, would anyone know what server addresses I would need to add to my whitelist so I don't need to mess around with this each time I turn on my computer? Gmail and Outlook were already on there, but Googling for Office and Win 10 apps hasn't helped me.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So does anyone know what the big important update for windows 10 was that required a reboot with no warning, and brought me to the windows 10 installation screen?

I've been running 10 since it came out, I shut down nightly so updates always get done. I logged in this morning to a message - windows needs to update and will restart in 15 minutes. For the past 20 minutes I've been staring at basically the windows 10 installer. Right now it's apparently installing features and drivers, which seems a little out of scope of a windows update.

I've normally been pretty blase about the whole forced automatic updates thing they've been pulling, but this is pretty loving bullshit.

security update for flash apparently.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Twibbit posted:

Oh cool. I don't even have a flash plugin installed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Oh cool. I don't even have a flash plugin installed.
You have, as an integral part of IE and Edge.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jeoh posted:

By checking 'automatically install recommended upgrades' you've already said yes beforehand.
It's checked by default.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's checked by default.

By not unchecking the default setting, spinning in a circle twice and rubbing yourself with pigs blood you have consented to the installation of Windows 10, read your EULA geeeez.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Flipperwaldt posted:

You have, as an integral part of IE and Edge.

Lol what. That's ridiculous.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lol what. That's ridiculous.

Chrome does the same thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

havenwaters posted:

Chrome does the same thing.
Yeah, but chrome doesn't need a 20+ minute win update cycle to update flash. Still not sure why Edge does.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Twibbit posted:

Flash updates through Windows Update don't (or at least shouldn't and usually don't) require a reboot to install. If you restarted and it was on the slate it'll take the opportunity to update then, although it still shouldn't take that long.

Microsoft added Flash Player into the OS from Windows 8 so Metro IE wouldn't break a Web that was as of 2012 still like half Flash and still claim to avoid add-ons.

And they haven't removed it because Flash-based enterprise and Facebook poo poo is going to be around for probably another decade, and users aren't generally competent enough to blame their vendors or Facebook (EDIT: and shouldn't have to be wise enough to pester Adobe to set out an End of Life plan for Flash Player, but Adobe really really really needs to do this), and Microsoft doesn't want to deal with their harassment.

Death is too good for Flash Player.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, but chrome doesn't need a 20+ minute win update cycle to update flash. Still not sure why Edge does.
The Edge rendering engine is a regular COM component in System32, that can be easily updated via WU, whereas the Edge browser interface appears to be a WinRT system app the store can't touch. Probably the update cycle hosed around with latter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
gently caress Netgear. About 3-4 months ago my old TP Link usb wireless stick started messing up so I got a USB stick by Netgear based off of a bunch of test results and reviews. I get this new usb stick and joyfully find out that it barely works with Windows 10. For a while I just ran a cable across the house to my computer, but that's not an option at my new place so I'm back to having to unplug and replug the usb for wifi every 10 minutes to 2 hours or so.

Are there any wifi usb adapters that actually work in Windows 10? Every thing I look up either doesn't work... or I'll see stuff saying it works, but then people saying it doesn't work for Windows 10.

Meanwhile Netgear has sad numerous times "Our windows 10 drivers are coming!" and the only drivers they have that are listed as Windows 10 are the same Windows 8 drivers from 2014.