Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rodyle posted:

My one problem with Gatoman was that there was never really enough of a nod to her being perma-champion. Show needed more of her just casually swatting dudes aside.

Tailmon was a true sixth ranger. She was ridiculously powerful on the enemy's side then became nearly useless on the heroes' side, unless she evolved and became the most destructive Perfect on the team until HolyAngemon appeared due to angels being overpowered in Adventure.

Hikari was just a walking deus ex machina though, again nearly literally considering the God of the Digital World (Homeostasis, a being beyond Yggdrasil) regularly possessed her body and this seemed to give her magical light powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhonne posted:

What are the odds that they bring back Ladydevimon so she and Angewomon can fight again?

I'd say pretty good. Aside of Tri going hard on the nostalgia angle, LadyDevimon VS Angewomon has become as much as a running gag in the franchise (the slaps are official techniques on the card game) as Leomon dying. :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Homeostasis isn't beyond Yggdrasil. That things nature isn't specified in Adventure and Yggdrasil doesn't even exist in that continuity. In the XW manga, Homeostasis just takes Yggdrasil's place after Yggdrasil disappeared.

The XW manga should never be used as a continuity or backstory benchmark for anything but itself.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd say pretty good. Aside of Tri going hard on the nostalgia angle, LadyDevimon VS Angewomon has become as much as a running gag in the franchise (the slaps are official techniques on the card game) as Leomon dying. :v:

And this time it ends with them fusing into Mastemon!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Homeostasis isn't beyond Yggdrasil. That things nature isn't specified in Adventure and Yggdrasil doesn't even exist in that continuity. In the XW manga, Homeostasis just takes Yggdrasil's place after Yggdrasil disappeared.

The XW manga should never be used as a continuity or backstory benchmark for anything but itself.

I never did. The main canon (as in, V-Pets) states that Homeostasis watches over every world, is a single entity and beyond anything else, in comparison to Yggdrasil that controls a single Digital World and several versions of it exist, and there's Digital Worlds without it (as the world where the Olympus XIII come from). It also hints Homeostasis might in fact be human, and well...it is almost definitely just Bandai.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's not Homeostasis. That's "God":

http://wikimon.net/God

Homeostasis isn't mentioned at all in the Bandai canon. Yggdrasil's counterpart in the Digital World of the Olympos Twelve is named Homeros.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Digimon Lore is the worst.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want a game/anime with all the Bancho digimon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's because it's literally the most broken disjointed thing in the history of shared fiction.

The only thing any given separate universe has in common is that there's likely something called Agumon that likely looks like Agumon. Now if that Agumon is an actual living creature that happens to be a digital entity, a video game construct with no self awareness, a self aware video game construct, or a digital life form born from a super primitive computer program

WHO'S TO SAY

In some continuities Omnimon is its own thing that helped found the Royal Knights and has Gallantmon and others with him.

In other continuities Omnimon has nothing to do with ANY of that and only recently came into existence due to the fusion of two unrelated Digimon.

In some continuities Gallantmon is a natural Digimon that exists in the Digital World. In OTHERS he's completely unknown and new, literally created as a wish for a kid and born from a once in a life time fusion of partners.

Digimon is the most nonsensical thing ever is what I'm trying to say.

Each iteration has nothing to do with one another EVEN WHEN CROSSING OVER. It makes Ryo's entire existence a nightmare to contemplate because he exists on video game lore that is incompatible with the Adveture lore which is incompatible with the Tamers lore.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So basically Digimon Lore is the Worst, gotcha.

Anyway now i'm thinking... we didn't actually see Alphamon move in the start of Tri 1, right? we saw the 02 kids get wiped out but not Alphamon doing anything or even showing up 'till the lightningstrike happened, so what if it was Imperialdramon going wild who hurt the kids? and Alphamon saw the results of that and thus decided the infection was too dangerous and he needed to do something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't see what's so complicated about it at all. It's no different from any other continuity that has multiple iterations.

The Bandai canon that was established several years before any of the TV shows even existed is in no way required to adjust itself to be the same as them either.

If people can understand all the versions of Transformers and Batman then Digimon is easy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Digimon lore isn't bad, fans trying to weave it into one coherent narrative are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my thinking.

Something weird is going on. Like, shock and awe yes I know. Alphamon is not the villain. We don't know who or what he is in context to all of this, but he's not the villain. If he was, he likely would have tried to kill the weaker champion Digimon instead of just swatting them aside.

Maincoomon is, if not related to the main villain, very clearly tied up in its plot. And the only times we see Alphamon in the first movie were when he took down one of the Kuwagamon and when he tried to take Maincoomon and was stopped by Omnimon.

Both of his targets were either directly affected by the infection, or presumably connected to it.

Add on Hackmon tailing the kids and Leomon, and the two might be working together to figure out what's what. If my other theory about Hackmon isn't true, anyways.

But yeah. Nothing about Alphamon screams that he's the villain, and considering Ken is parading around as the Digimon Emperor 2.0 with an infected Imperialdramon, clearly whatever happened at the start of the first movie was not the death of the season 2 cast.

There's also the weirdness about what happened AFTER season 2, since something major must have went down to close off the Digital Worlds again.

It's kind of like season 2 happened, but the large parts of it are forgotten or ignored within the universe of Tri some how.

See the kids being able to just go Ultimate level when they like, something that season 2 stopped them from doing because Season 2 is a mess.

The fact that they can now go Mega level, and are CONFUSED about that fact, and the message about going beyond the darkness, might, MAYBE, mean Apocalamon could be back.

Prophesy and breaking reality were all in his back of tricks, and Devimon and the Dark Masters, notable for corrupting and manipulating reality, were created by him.

He's also single handedly the most powerful entity we've seen in the Adventure continuity and is barely even a Digimon at all.

That or maybe the Dark Ocean is finally going to get its due.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Digimon lore isn't bad, fans trying to weave it into one coherent narrative are.

This. This This This This

So many fans try to shove Digimon into one blanket universe like Pokemon, ignoring that it does not work that way.

The Digimon Lore ITSELF is fine because yeah, no duh, it's all broken up and disconnected. Certain things do their own thing and don't work under the rules of others.

When you try to connect it, that's when it all falls apart

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Each iteration has nothing to do with one another EVEN WHEN CROSSING OVER. It makes Ryo's entire existence a nightmare to contemplate because he exists on video game lore that is incompatible with the Adveture lore which is incompatible with the Tamers lore.

There hasn't been a lot of crossovers between different continuities though. YH was meaningless, V-Tamer is the series that crossed over most of the series back then but even then it was consistent with their rules.

Ryo it is the most glaring point but isn't like here in the west we are up to speed with his story so :shrug:

Is only until now with Mirei and Rina that Bandai is actually making the effort to make a cohesive multiverse, and even then, is limited to the videogames.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you guys thought that was what I was doing, I wasn't trying to do that. I was explaining that Homeostasis only matters to the Adventure canon, and that the thing from the Bandai canon he THOUGHT was Homeostasis something else.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

If you guys thought that was what I was doing, I wasn't trying to do that. I was explaining that Homeostasis only matters to the Adventure canon, and that the thing from the Bandai canon he THOUGHT was Homeostasis something else.

Oh no, no man. I was speaking In General. I've had bad times trying to explain to people why Digimon lore doesn't and isn't supposed to work like Pokemon or the like. The ones that are MEANT to be connected and joined.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Rodyle posted:

My one problem with Gatoman was that there was never really enough of a nod to her being perma-champion. Show needed more of her just casually swatting dudes aside.

They kinda did in 02, in the first of many bad decisions in that series. Since having a perma-champio0n would mess up the whole "can't digivolve normally to reach Champion form" deal in the first half of the series, they nerfed her by having her lose her ring.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My own personal opinion on what happened in Ketsui:
Himegawa is not THE bad guy, but a bad guy nonetheless.

Earlier in the episode she was discussing about their organization developing weapons to combat the infected Digimon. Meicoomon seems to be very valuable to Himegawa. What if she created or tampered with Meicoomon in order to turn her into a weapon that targets infected Digimon?

Leomon DID get infected after all, and the proximity might have been what triggered Meikoomon's rampage.

Alphamon being a Royal Knight and all might have been trying to capture Meicoomon in order to get a hold of whatever it is she has that can combat infected Digimons in order to save the Digital World.

And this would tie very nicely with Hackmon being Meiko's partner theory.

On Ken's involvement though I'd like to think that he was the one that sent the mail to Koshiro and lured the Digidestined in order to help them reach their Mega level in preparation for the real big bad. However this theory does not explain the leveling of Rebirth Town

Now, I don't know who the writer for Digimon Tri is, but he/she/they show a lot of self awareness on the show, what with all the constant winks at stuff that happened in Adventure or the movies (Gomamon being with the girls, Yamato/Takeru's grandmother, Gomamon and Joe stubborn fights with each other, Leomon/Ogremon's relation). It makes me really happy that whoever is directing the new show is actually familiar with Adventures and Digimon in general.

However, such self awareness makes it hard to predict what is going to happen. Right now there are 2 possible scenarios:

1) Everything we've seen so far is a bait and switch and the real enemy has yet to show himself
2) Occam's razor applies and Meicoomon turns out to be the source of the infections

Jintor
May 19, 2014

man i want an english dub so bad of tri just to see how different it could feel with the lull destruction and the utterly bombastic orchestral/ska/punk score

can you imagine it

can you imagine

---

to be a bit more serious, though, i'm really disappointed in the tri movies so far but they have juuuuust enough there that I keep watching them

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah if/when a Tri dub happens it has got to be stylistically consistent with the classic dub. To do anything else would be pointless and redundant considering how available Tri's subbed original is.

Obviously I'm not arguing in favor of outright censorship or heavy rewrites but a doofy re-scoring and some dumb punchup jokes would just... it'd be perfect.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I just want to see the goofy saturday morning cartoon version of all that melodrama that was in tri 2. Honestly, the english writing team could do serious decently well enough when they wanted to back in Adventure and 02 (and Tamers of course). They just... well, didn't, most of the time anyway

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh yeah they were good dubs! Tamers in particular!

It's just that this more serious, awkward-silences version of Digimon is failing to sync up with my personal nostalgia. Which is usually, you know, fine, but since nostalgia is an active theme of Tri, that's actually limiting my engagement.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

agreed!

i'll be real sad if it never happens :(

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
If there's someone out there who wouldn't want to hear "Hey Digimon" play when Rosemon and Vikemon show up, I want nothing to do with them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to people at Neogaf, Cyber Sleuth for PS4 sold around 64k copies in retail just in America. Once you add digital sales, the Vita versions and Europe's numbers, I bet Bamco must be happy with the results.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They cant seriously be using Ken to do the same exact thing as in 02 right?

Im just going to hope they dont and assume its just someone/something that looks like Ken (he didnt speak afterall) and was controlling Imperialdramon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will also point out that as far as deaths go, Imperialdramon could have gone out in a far worse way.

Don't forget WarGreymon's nifty arm blades are Dramon Destroyers. I actually like the first form of Imperialdramon just fine, but holy poo poo he's not as strong as Machinedramon and would have gotten chopped to bits.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

but could goku beat omnimon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

but could goku beat omnimon

Goku can now punch apart the universe by accident because Dragon Ball Super is not a very smartly written show.

So yes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Could Machinedramon beat Saitama in a video game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raserys posted:

Could Machinedramon beat Saitama in a video game

Impossible.

Also while the basic Omegamon would likely lose to Goku, Omegamon X would win. After all, quoting its Digimon Reference Book profile:
"Theoretically, other Digimon are unable to defeat Omegamon. This is because it acquired the "Omega inForce", an ultimate force which, in battle, is able to instantaneously read ahead and respond accordingly. It is an ability that draws out and raises Omegamon's combat sense and potential, under any circumstances, to their utmost limits."

Can't lose if you can see anything coming and can always react to it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why don't we talk about how HolyAngemon is as strong as a Ultimate/Mega while we are at it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ I bring up a literal plot point from Adventure and this is where it leads.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to people at Neogaf, Cyber Sleuth for PS4 sold around 64k copies in retail just in America. Once you add digital sales, the Vita versions and Europe's numbers, I bet Bamco must be happy with the results.

I hope so, i'd love to see more games like it

i just hope there are enough people who like Digimon World's gameplay to keep up good sales, i don't but i don't want them to stop releasing Digimon Story in the west, and the fate of both are intertwined

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I hope that they put some limitations on making megas at some point. These days we're flooded with digimon supposedly being so strong that they could belch hard enough to destroy a solar system like some kid's fanfiction character.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I hope so, i'd love to see more games like it

i just hope there are enough people who like Digimon World's gameplay to keep up good sales, i don't but i don't want them to stop releasing Digimon Story in the west, and the fate of both are intertwined

From what I've seen there are plenty of crazy people who, for reasons that elude me, love that World garbage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

I hope that they put some limitations on making megas at some point. These days we're flooded with digimon supposedly being so strong that they could belch hard enough to destroy a solar system like some kid's fanfiction character.

"These days". Dude, this has been part of Digimon from day loving two (as Megas didn't exist day one). Perfect-levels have power on the level of nukes and it forcefully has to go up from there. Or do you think Apocalymon (can cause a big bang), Millenniumon (creates entirely new dimensions which he can trap people in), etc, are new Digimon?

Half of the fun in the DRB stuff is seeing just how bullshit powers get! After all, no adaptation is ridiculous enough to take them and use them as they are.

mikeycp posted:

From what I've seen there are plenty of crazy people who, for reasons that elude me, love that World garbage.

I don't get it at all. Digimon World was a bad game and Re: Digitize was grindy poo poo. Then again, it's not like the RPGs are much better, with winners like World 3 where you have to grind like a madman to keep up, or the DS games that are rather bland and lame. Though Cyber Sleuth is apparently really good, but they're still going back to World-style for -next 0rder- anyways.

Give me Digital Card Battle 3. Now that is something I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get it at all. Digimon World was a bad game and Re: Digitize was grindy poo poo. Then again, it's not like the RPGs are much better, with winners like World 3 where you have to grind like a madman to keep up, or the DS games that are rather bland and lame. Though Cyber Sleuth is apparently really good, but they're still going back to World-style for -next 0rder- anyways.

Give me Digital Card Battle 3. Now that is something I'd like.

It's astonishing to me that Re:Digitize managed to be so much worse than the rock bottom of the original. LPing that was possibly the biggest slog I've ever endured.

However, do you mean to imply they made a DCB2 that I never knew about??