Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I'm thinking about playing her while she's strong, how should she be built right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Sivir does seem really strong; I looked up her winrate on champ.gg and this is kinda funny:

Same exact winrate! That is a funny statistical coincidence.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There's something not right when almost every single ADC has a 50%+ win rate. That does not seem likely based on what I know about one ADC having to lose every single game!

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

There's something not right when almost every single ADC has a 50%+ win rate. That does not seem likely based on what I know about one ADC having to lose every single game!

Two of the most often played adcs have negative WRs, and then Kog'maw has a miserable 44%, so that probably makes up for it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

PhrenzZ posted:

Two of the most often played adcs have negative WRs, and then Kog'maw has a miserable 44%, so that probably makes up for it.

There's a lot of double adc comps as well with Ez/Corki mid or Quinn/Graves top, and they tend to do well. The system may not be classifying them properly.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PhrenzZ posted:

Those two ADCs make up like 1.5% of the winrate sub 50, I think this is the algorithm doing a bad job of detecting ADCs being played in the bot lane and counting poo poo like mid Corki and top Graves and gently caress I actually can't explain how champion.gg has decided that almost all of the ADCs win over half their games

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rabidsquid posted:

Those two ADCs make up like 1.5% of the winrate sub 50, I think this is the algorithm doing a bad job of detecting ADCs being played in the bot lane and counting poo poo like mid Corki and top Graves and gently caress I actually can't explain how champion.gg has decided that almost all of the ADCs win over half their games

Since the system only accumulates games from Plat+ I want to say that I think there should theoretically always be more wins than losses whenever someone above that threshold beats someone in Gold or lower.

I'm not 100% sure that is how it works though.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Libertine posted:

Since the system only accumulates games from Plat+ I want to say that I think there should theoretically always be more wins than losses whenever someone above that threshold beats someone in Gold or lower.

That would make sense. Looking at the Champion.gg play rates for Support, Bard and Thresh are the only popular supports with win rates significantly below 50%, and I doubt that cancels out the massive 54% winrate for Janna mains. So ADC isn't the only role where Champion.gg says the average Plat+ wins more than 50% of their games.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

I'm thinking about playing her while she's strong, how should she be built right now?

I was doing IE, Shiv, ER, whatever in that order and the wave clear and aoe damage was comically good.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Rushing IE before zeal is pretty much pointless on every champion. It's not a good item by itself. ER first on Sivir makes the most sense in most situations. It makes her better at what she's good at, and having that CDR is really nice as well

stump collector
May 28, 2007
my sivir build is ER PD IE almost every game. I go mercurial before IE if there are a lot of assassins or the enemy team has a lot of hard CC

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

PhrenzZ posted:

Aerox posted:

There's a lot of double adc comps as well with Ez/Corki mid or Quinn/Graves top, and they tend to do well. The system may not be classifying them properly.

rabidsquid posted:

Libertine posted:

Actually the explanation is simple. If you sum the winrate column you get 190%; since there are 2 ADCs in every game there is a 10% chance that someone chooses some sort of off-meta champion not on this list (whether it's Yasuo or Jayce or some other non-viable ADC). If you sum winrate*playrate you get 96%. This means that collectively, the champions on that list have a 96%/190% = 50.5% winrate, and the offmeta champions have a (100%-96%)/(200%-190%) = 40% collective winrate, inflating the winrates of the entire listed pool.

This also provides some useful data about whether you should dodge if your ADC picks a non-marksman (yes, you should).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

blah_blah posted:

Actually the explanation is simple. If you sum the winrate column you get 190%; since there are 2 ADCs in every game there is a 10% chance that someone chooses some sort of off-meta champion not on this list (whether it's Yasuo or Jayce or some other non-viable ADC). If you sum winrate*playrate you get 96%. This means that collectively, the champions on that list have a 96%/190% = 50.5% winrate, and the offmeta champions have a (100%-96%)/(200%-190%) = 40% collective winrate, inflating the winrates of the entire listed pool.

This also provides some useful data about whether you should dodge if your ADC picks a non-marksman (yes, you should).

This seems wrong to me. It's anecdotal but I have like 170 support games this season and I don't think I've seen a non-meta adc in more than one or two on either side

I'd be more inclined to go with "riot misidentifying the adc a non-zero % of the time"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For those who didn't know, the identification of top/mid/jungle/bot/support is done server-side by Riot and given to sites via the API, even before dynamic queue launched

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

This seems wrong to me. It's anecdotal but I have like 170 support games this season and I don't think I've seen a non-meta adc in more than one or two on either side

I'd be more inclined to go with "riot misidentifying the adc a non-zero % of the time"

It may be, but it is clear that A) not all ADC games or wins are accounted for, whether that is due to misclassification or offmeta roles, and B) in games accounted for, the collection of meta ADCs there win slightly, but noticeably, more than 50% of the time.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
IE first is pretty good on both Sivir and Jhin. Sivir basically instawave clears as soon as you finish it with just W, and Jhin's ult scales directly off of the crit damage.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
Is there a list of most used mastery pages? I'd like to have like 6 different pages which could cover most champions.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

hypnorotic posted:

Is there a list of most used mastery pages? I'd like to have like 6 different pages which could cover most champions.

Mastery pages are free so there's really no cost in having them. Offhand I think you should have a

1) Fervor page (covering most ADCs and a few other champs like Kayle)
2) Thunderlords page (covering most AP mids, a few supports, and a few other champs like Corki)
3) Grasp of the Undying page (covering most tanky toplaners)
4) Windspeaker page (covering heal supports)
5) Strength of the Age page (covering most junglers)

There are a few edge cases but this should give you a pretty decent option on like 75% of champions in the game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

NTT posted:

IE first is pretty good on both Sivir and Jhin. Sivir basically instawave clears as soon as you finish it with just W, and Jhin's ult scales directly off of the crit damage.

i like ER first more, you get more CDR for faster ult uptime and constant W spam.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

hypnorotic posted:

The real trick is just knowing what masteries you want on each champ and doing up the page when you pick it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I for dumb, potentially backwards reasons have 9 mastery pages for every possible spread of points besides 12/12/12. Then it's just a matter of picking which spread I want and moving the points around.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
youre right, that is dumb, and, backwards,

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I miss when you were able to set up rune pages during champ select.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Methanar posted:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

Same. It's very irritating to be put into a situation where a specific champ is the right call but your runes aren't quite right. The good news is armor seals and MR glyphs are universally useful.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So I've decided that playing support in bronze is just masochistic. Jungle/top I have a positive winrate, but support my WR is about 20%. Hell, maybe I should start playing ADC again as well.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

I'll watch these when I get home, might be a bit since in waiting on pc parts and then I have to put it all together so it might be closer to late night.

However, if you are in bronze I would definitely recommend any role other than bronze. It's totally a fine role gold and up, but anything lower than gold v (and even most of gold) you are not going to be a good enough support to single handedly carry games unless your lane partner is a smurf or something.

requoting this and adding on that bronze bot lane is a no mans land and the only way it will contribute to your game in any form is if either sides jungler camps it and tilts the bottom lane off the earth making the other 3 people on their team suffer and tilt on their own

support is a bad role to play in bronze because there are no good AD's in bronze, because if they were good, they would not be in bronze

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

As someone whose terrible sololane dynamic queue experiment has seen him brought down to Bronze from the Silver 1/2 where I lived last season, we're down here because we are all terrible at the game. 100% of us have deep flaws in some capacity (whether it be mechanics, strategic decisionmaking, item choice, when to use cooldowns). From the micro-level in-lane decisions to the macro-level 'what to do when' we're all really bad.

It's also a lot of fun because there's not really stress about how/what will go wrong: you know something's going to go terribly and you just sort of shrug and roll with it. For example: my last two games have had a Volibear support with a non-burst-based ADC.

Edit: got absolutely styled on by Fiora/Graves/Garen/Bard(ADC)/Thresh. My team featured a Rengar that did less than 5k damage to champions in a 30m game. Bronze is great.

wodin fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 14, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiros posted:

Same. It's very irritating to be put into a situation where a specific champ is the right call but your runes aren't quite right. The good news is armor seals and MR glyphs are universally useful.

There are enough situations where I wish I could audible to scaling health yellows but don't feel comfortable having them as my default rune in top lane.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

But if you could edit rune pages on the fly you wouldn't need to buy extra

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bronze is so fun. The game just kinda happens around you. Sometimes a jungler shows up. Sometimes people fight around dragon. Sometimes things happen.

The timings are all different game to game because no junglers understand proper clears. There is no pressure to do specific strategies when you are one of 3 people in the whole match who has seen a stream or read a guide.

Broze is really the best.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I've decided that playing support in bronze is just masochistic. Jungle/top I have a positive winrate, but support my WR is about 20%. Hell, maybe I should start playing ADC again as well.

I mean you can say that but

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

KirbyKhan posted:

Bronze is so fun. The game just kinda happens around you. Sometimes a jungler shows up. Sometimes people fight around dragon. Sometimes things happen.

The timings are all different game to game because no junglers understand proper clears. There is no pressure to do specific strategies when you are one of 3 people in the whole match who has seen a stream or read a guide.

Remember a lot of guides and poo poo for "climbing out of Bronze" tell people that if they just do X between now and 20min and then they do A, B, C they will win games.

They don't think strategically because they have steps laid out in front of them that they are told will lead to success at least 50-70% of the time.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Holy flub is Xerath boring.

I didn't care much about him before they reworked him but now that I tried him out after the fact... man... talk about generic. The artillery thing is his only saving grace, besides that all he has is a bunch of abilities recycled from other champs, and the passive is pretty lackluster too, but at least it promotoes playing a bit more aggressively.

Is he up for another rework or is he considered fine? I mean, besides being a snorefest I guess there isn't really anything wrong with him?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah it's hilarious. It's occasionally frustrating if you actually want your team to do something that makes sense, but if you can accept that they won't, then it's great.

e: Actually there's literally only one thing that bothers me about bronze, and it's the fact that no one buys pink wards. I often keep yellow trinket in bronze games just for the extra wards. Even the supports don't buy pink wards. I can't tell you how many games I've played where I'm literally the only person who buys a pink ward. And I mostly play mid lane.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 14, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

There are enough situations where I wish I could audible to scaling health yellows but don't feel comfortable having them as my default rune in top lane.

Yeah I hate this about rune pages, and it's usually the yellows or blues that would be great to switch up at will. Runes in general are a really dumb part of the game and should be removed.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if you could select the red/yellow/blue/quint parts of the page separately that would be nice

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Buying a pink ward every back is probably the most useful thing I do now

Radiantweasel
Aug 10, 2013
What's the site that has top win rates by ranking? I feel like I need better banning practices down here in S4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Do graves autoattacks count as single target for purposes of deaths dance?

I played against a top graves the other day who rushed it first item. He went 2-0 or so against our top Kayle, but about 20 minutes into the game with just a DD and maybe a dirk he was able to 1v3 rumble jungle, Kayle, and support nautilus. He was probably getting 1/6 of his HP back every auto and the damage reduction passive pretty much negated my flamespitter damage entirely. It was disgusting

• Locked thread