Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Good news everyone!

Saw a Dr. today and he thinks I did a partial MCL tear but nothing terrible. Gave me some pain meds just in case and told me to wear a knee brace for 5-6 weeks and to not play for that long.

Glad my teammate was right and also that I won't require any surgery.

Great to hear! Did he say if it was a grade 1 or a grade 2 MCL tear? Did he give you a hinged knee brace? Just remember that playing in net requires your MCL being stable at an extreme range of motion, so don't be disheartened if it takes you longer than the recommended time frame to recover. It took me in the range of 8-12 weeks to recover from both of mine (both grade 2), though 12 weeks was because I also dislocated my knee cap and tore some supporting tissue, which complicated my recovery (2nd injury, 1st injury was MCL only). Other than some occasional soreness, I haven't had any lingering issues, but I did physical therapy and worked hard to build up the supporting muscles, which helped a lot. Though every injury and person is different, so my recovery timeline is far from gospel.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know what the difference between Don Simmons "int" and "pro" pads are? Came into a little money and I want to upgrade my old RBK 7K pads. I know DS just rips off manufacturers and undersells them, but right now my budget is going to win over my convictions. I can throw $1500CDN-ish at a pad/gloves set without really hurting my savings plans and I want to take advantage of that.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know what the difference between Don Simmons "int" and "pro" pads are? Came into a little money and I want to upgrade my old RBK 7K pads. I know DS just rips off manufacturers and undersells them, but right now my budget is going to win over my convictions. I can throw $1500CDN-ish at a pad/gloves set without really hurting my savings plans and I want to take advantage of that.

As far as I know, "Int" refers to "Intermediate" sized goal pads (typically 32" or less in height).

"Pro" or "Senior" gear typically varies by manufacturer. A big company like Bauer has "Pro" pads, meaning they are senior (adult) sizes manufactured in Canada using best possible materials. Then they'll have "Senior" pads, which are the same sizes, but don't use top-of-the-line materials and are manufactured offshore rather than in Canada.

Since all Simmons stuff is made in Canada, there shouldn't be a difference between their Senior and Pro gear. You can also check out Passau, Battram, Boddam, and other smaller Canadian pad manufacturers-- you can definitely hit that price range and can probably even swing customs. And don't be too worried about your convictions-- at least you're supporting a country with actual labor standards. Pads are all essentially the same nowadays anyway.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I only see Pro gear. The INT I see is for intermediate size I think

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh OK that's a bonus. Admittedly I didn't really look too deep into their site. I figured I'd just head down to their Fort Erie store when I was ready to look at buying.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Oh OK that's a bonus. Admittedly I didn't really look too deep into their site. I figured I'd just head down to their Fort Erie store when I was ready to look at buying.

Simmons pads worked out well for me in the past, I'm not sure if they've changed their knee stacks much or not but the last time I tried them they didnt work great with larger knee guards. The stacks are pretty soft and not quite as tall (maybe due to compression). I never had any issues with the CA I bought from them either and they were cool enough to give me a future model when I called before their transition.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Well I broke a skate blade last night somehow while shuffling in the crease. That'll teach me to try and play 3 games in one night.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Glambags posted:

Well I broke a skate blade last night somehow while shuffling in the crease. That'll teach me to try and play 3 games in one night.

What brand skate or blade brand?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

titanium posted:

What brand skate or blade brand?

Bauer Supreme TotalOne NXG skates, I believe it's the 3mm LS2 steel.

They were pretty dull as I hadn't sharpened them in quite awhile but I don't know if that had anything to do with the steel on one skate breaking.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Glambags posted:

Bauer Supreme TotalOne NXG skates, I believe it's the 3mm LS2 steel.

They were pretty dull as I hadn't sharpened them in quite awhile but I don't know if that had anything to do with the steel on one skate breaking.

Bauer steel is known to be pretty poo poo. I get step steel *non extreme on all my skates now.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

titanium posted:

Bauer steel is known to be pretty poo poo. I get step steel *non extreme on all my skates now.

I'm using my old pair of nike bauer skates for the moment but I'll probably order new steel this weekend. I've heard nothing but good things about step steel.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm using the regular Step Steel on my Bauer One100s (that I bought from titanium a few years back) and it's worked great. I do like having the wider stance I can get or being able to push quicker.
I also managed to get the first generation Warrior Ritual Pro C/A for $250 on clearance. Haven't tried it out yet, but that now puts me at Warrior Ritual Pro C/A, pants, leg pads, glove, and blocker. I look like a fanboy out there, but it works well for me.
In other things, I present beer_league_defense.gif

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Bradf0rd posted:

In other things, I present beer_league_defense.gif

Looks like your team is halfway to the bobsled defense popularized by the Sabres:

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Anyone have recommendations for bags? I currently have this one: https://www.donsimmons.com/ecom/product/1173 but it's kind of beat up at this point and I wouldn't mind upgrading if there are better options out there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-equipment-bag-2200-wheel-sr.html

I bought this bag right before the new year and it's pretty good. You can manage to fit all your gear in there if you Tetris everything in the correct way. It way seem a little small though, so you may want to get the slightly larger variant that's available.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Worth a shot in here... but does anybody have an extra pair of goalie skates in size 7D or 7.5D that they are willing to let go for really cheap? Also, a set of goalie knee pads and/or goalie pants in size Medium?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hockles posted:

Worth a shot in here... but does anybody have an extra pair of goalie skates in size 7D or 7.5D that they are willing to let go for really cheap? Also, a set of goalie knee pads and/or goalie pants in size Medium?

I've got an old pair of Graf G50s in that size and may have an extra set of knee pads. Send me a PM if you can.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aniki posted:

I've got an old pair of Graf G50s in that size and may have an extra set of knee pads. Send me a PM if you can.

PM sent!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I picked a silly position for someone with such short little legs.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/AngelicWeightyDonkey.webm

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
You are the only person in your clip making any effort other then looking like a tripod.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too have shortleg-itis.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Look at that, after almost exactly 2 months of not playing in net I had my first game back yesterday against a team of "ringers". I don't know who these ringers are on their team because they were godawful terrible.

We won 3-1 with their lone goal coming from a guy on my back post my D decided to not cover. Pushed across on the cross crease pass and managed to get a hand on his shot but couldn't get enough of my glove down fast enough to stop it.

I was a bit worried in the beginning as I was stretching because things felt tight, but I think that was mostly because I haven't played in net in almost 2 months. Once I got into the game I didn't really think about my knee and have no soreness in it today.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
So I finally got a GoPro and recorded a game with it (not a good game for us and I wasn't spectacular). Unfortunately I sprained my MCL not long after that and will be out a couple weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcV4YVJBumk

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm starting to get back on the ice again, but after an extended break, I really feel like I've lost a lot of ground. Things like my strength, skating, and butterfly sliding are still there, but my ability to read plays has really eroded, my angles are off, and I'm not putting myself in good positions to recover. Some of it will come back as I start playing more, but I really feel like I need to get some lesson and iron some of these issues out. I don't think I want to do leagues again, but I'd still like to play a couple times per month and not make an rear end out of myself, just been really hard to find the time lately.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Any of you gentlegoons have any experience with Vaughn skates? I ordered a pair of GX1s in a drunken haze last Friday night and I'm hoping they will be an improvement over my Bauer Nexus 6000 skates (which are beat all to hell).

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey SAS goaliemen, I have a technique question for you. I am admittedly a new beginner goalie, I played my second ever league game last night filling in for our regular goalie. I allowed two goals that were the same general flavor. Essentially the other teams winger would be coming from the center of the ice and go wide around my right D. By the time he got by my right D he was in the right circle and coming diagonally at me. I wanted to take away the near post and make him do all the work and beat me to the far post but both times this happened I got beat near side between my blocker and my chest, one guy on his forehand and one guy on his backhand.

I think his happened because I always try to keep the blade of my stick covering my 5 hole, but when I butterfly in order to keep the blade covering my 5 hole my blocker has to go out wide which creates a gap between my chest and blocker.

I know I should probably have my blocker right next to my chest in this situation but if I do that my stick blade either goes up or off to the side and is no longer covering my five hole.

I guess my question for you guys is can you not have it both ways? Do you operate under the assumption your 5 hole is covered by your leg pads in butterfly and keep your blocker close to your body regardless of where your stick is? Or is it possible to keep your blocker against your chest and your stick in front of your five hole and I'm just incompetent?

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

You should be able to cover both and it really just depends on the size and angle of your stick. In that situation your stick blade doesn't need to be perpendicular to the ice, it can be at an angle thus allowing you to bring your blocker in and have your stick covering five hole.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey SAS goaliemen, I have a technique question for you. I am admittedly a new beginner goalie, I played my second ever league game last night filling in for our regular goalie. I allowed two goals that were the same general flavor. Essentially the other teams winger would be coming from the center of the ice and go wide around my right D. By the time he got by my right D he was in the right circle and coming diagonally at me. I wanted to take away the near post and make him do all the work and beat me to the far post but both times this happened I got beat near side between my blocker and my chest, one guy on his forehand and one guy on his backhand.

I think his happened because I always try to keep the blade of my stick covering my 5 hole, but when I butterfly in order to keep the blade covering my 5 hole my blocker has to go out wide which creates a gap between my chest and blocker.

I know I should probably have my blocker right next to my chest in this situation but if I do that my stick blade either goes up or off to the side and is no longer covering my five hole.

I guess my question for you guys is can you not have it both ways? Do you operate under the assumption your 5 hole is covered by your leg pads in butterfly and keep your blocker close to your body regardless of where your stick is? Or is it possible to keep your blocker against your chest and your stick in front of your five hole and I'm just incompetent?

Based on what you're saying, to sounds like the shooter was near the lower part of the circles when he was releasing his shot. From that distance, you want to try and keep your arms and elbows in tight to prevent shots from going in those gaps.

Here's a good video that illustrates butterfly positioning depending on the distance of the shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcgJcIGjjc

Start around the 45 second mark for some still shots of the butterfly positioning. You'll see the stick blade cocks up a little bit when he is keeping his arms tight, however it's still covering the 5 hole.

Were you at the top of the crease during the shots or were you backed up into the net? You open up a lot of space if you retreat into the net too soon on a shooter.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'll give those a look when I'm back from work. I was out a bit and was playing the short side hard, I don't think it was an angle thing as much as the shot went between my arm and chest. If it had gone wide of my arm it probably would have missed the net.

I guess I'll just need to practice trying to keep that blocker tight and stick in the right position. I'm glad I at least know it's doable.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
When I drop to block, the blade of my stick becomes a slight ramp, which is normal. You'll get the occasional shot that'll ramp off it and up, but for the most part it'll just stop the puck and eventually you'll learn how to steer shots to the corner from this. I think I know exactly what you're doing and the video posted above should help. How high up is your blocker when you're just in your stance?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Vargatron posted:

Any of you gentlegoons have any experience with Vaughn skates? I ordered a pair of GX1s in a drunken haze last Friday night and I'm hoping they will be an improvement over my Bauer Nexus 6000 skates (which are beat all to hell).

Sorry for the double post, but I'm on the mobile app and this is the easiest way to do this. Did you ever get any info on this? With Vaughn being new to skates, I'm guessing no one in this thread has used them. I'm personally a fan of Bauer. How'd you beat up a pair that new that fast? I'm still using Titanium's One.100s that I bought almost four years ago.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I went ahead and got the GX1s and they are really nice. Rubbed my ankles a little raw, but that's a sore spot on every skate for me.

As for the Bauers, I bought them used from Ebay and they were already worn out.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

For what it's worth, blocker positioning is something I still struggle with after years of working on technique. My biggest problem is deciding between getting my stick on a shot near my right toe vs extending the blocker down in case it goes just above my pad. I still get this wrong and end up giving up goals that click off my stick and just over my blocker side pad when I should have reached down with the blocker.

That said, I never think about my stick covering my five hole. It's something I work on only when doing a blocking butterfly (arms in tight) and when doing T pushes, but it's way more important to keep your hands active and reactive when you can see a shot coming. The five hole is not somewhere you care about covering.. you want to get your stick on the puck when possible, whether that's close to the five hole or way out past your toe.

edit: I just re-read Jovial Cow's post and realized that he may have the same misconception I had about stick positioning when I started. It took me awhile to realize that the blade of your stick should not be very close to your feet. You want the stick out in front of you so it can act as a bit of a ramp when hit by the puck instead of being knocked backwards. Knowing that, you can bring your blocker hand wherever as you go down, and the blade will just extend farther out in front of you.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2016

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I watched that video and I think you all just basically hit on my problem. I'm in what I guess that video would call the reactive butterfly all the time as a result of me trying to keep the stick blade straight up and down as opposed to more of a ramp effect. I'll have to fiddle with having it further out in front of me to see if that allows me to keep my blocker right on my side. I thought I tried this in the game but I'll have to think more closely about it in warm ups when I do this again. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the stick was slightly too large for me.

Bradf0rd posted:

How high up is your blocker when you're just in your stance?

My blocker is probably slightly above where the guy has his blocker in the stance portion of that video. I doubt its flush to the top of the leg pad like that kid is keeping his.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

My left knee MCL has some lingering pain but after 7 weeks I'm finally back to playing. The vid below is my third time playing since the injury.

My first game back (last Sunday) we got smoked by a team that always beats us and we only had 6 guys. I wasn't supposed to be the one in net but luckily the knee felt fine as I wanted to get back on the ice before playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcBIRbuEt0

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
So I'm getting back into playing after a break of a few years. I need to replace my mask and was wondering if anyone here has used a Simmons 962 pro. I'm trying to decided between one of these and a Protech mask, any input is welcome.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I finally got a note from the post office to come and collect my new 2200 Brown CA. I get the box inside, bust it open and...

They sent me the wrong thing.

I ordered a goalie CA and these guys sent me a fuckin bomb disposal suit. Going from my old senior Bauer that (after a good 5-6 years of service) was starting to feel like a beach towel on harder shots, to this thing? I feel like I could run into traffic with this unit. My biggest jersey, that used to make me look like Casper, is now tighter than yoga pants. I cannot loving wait to get out on the ice with this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can't post that and not post a picture of the huge thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just watch any footage of a modern NHL goalie? Probably the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

aejix posted:

I finally got a note from the post office to come and collect my new 2200 Brown CA. I get the box inside, bust it open and...

They sent me the wrong thing.

I ordered a goalie CA and these guys sent me a fuckin bomb disposal suit. Going from my old senior Bauer that (after a good 5-6 years of service) was starting to feel like a beach towel on harder shots, to this thing? I feel like I could run into traffic with this unit. My biggest jersey, that used to make me look like Casper, is now tighter than yoga pants. I cannot loving wait to get out on the ice with this.

This is how it was for me when I went from the Warrior Ritual Senior to the Warrior Ritual Pro. It's so nice not having stingers now.

• Locked thread