Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bleed your brakes correctly, too. Doing that one corner did absolutely nothing. And for the love of your life and everyone around you, don't loosen your loving lugnuts. They'll finish the job and escape, then your tire will probably total another vehicle when it flies off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Godholio posted:

Bleed your brakes correctly, too. Doing that one corner did absolutely nothing. And for the love of your life and everyone around you, don't loosen your loving lugnuts. They'll finish the job and escape, then your tire will probably total another vehicle when it flies off.

:agreed: honestly I don't think you should be working on cars Tipme, no offense.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Of course I wouldn't drive with loose nuts, it was just an observation and thought that was useful info to add.

Anyway, lady at Advanced auto parts gave me the wrong sized rotors, I mean yea, I could've saved time with a simple measurement. I just wrongly assumed I had all the correct poo poo. I was given 82mm instead of 78mm.

thank you stupid questions thread.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tipme posted:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Of course I wouldn't drive with loose nuts, it was just an observation and thought that was useful info to add.

Anyway, lady at Advanced auto parts gave me the wrong sized rotors, I mean yea, I could've saved time with a simple measurement. I just wrongly assumed I had all the correct poo poo. I was given 82mm instead of 78mm.

thank you stupid questions thread.

Drive safe. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I wouldn't have even thought to measure them.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

Godholio posted:

Have one catch fire on a road test and you will make sure they give you the right rotors every time for rest of your days.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.7L V6.

My driver's side front window over the last couple weeks started making a bit of a grinding noise, almost sounding like a piece of gravel was somehow stuck between the window and door panel. This weekend it finally went completely to poo poo and made a god-awful screeching sound and stopped rolling down, and wouldn't go back up all the way. At one point it slid down about 1/4 of the way and I had to manually grab the window from either side and lift it up but going over a bump would cause it to slide back down. Later in the day I tried the window control again and the motor engaged and rolled the window up properly so it's staying put for now. Reading about this it seems that it's likely the window regulator.

My brother replaced one in his truck and he says it's best to just buy the window regulator and motor and replace them both. This is something I'd really like to do myself because it would save a shitload of money. My problem is I'm having trouble finding a regulator. I called Advance Auto and they would be able to order the front driver's side motor and gave me a part number (Cardone, 42633) but they can't order a regulator.

I found this one on ebay. It looks like it's both the regulator and motor. Just wanting to see if anyone could confirm that or if anyone knows where else to find a regulator for an 08 Jeep as I haven't had much luck yet and don't really want to have to go through my dealer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

Would you have thought they might not be right when there were hitting the caliper?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

Would you have thought they might not be right when there were hitting the caliper?

Well yeah, I meant before installing them.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Safety Dance posted:

You had a problem 20,000 miles ago and now you have an almost-certainly-unrelated problem.

Yes. No. It threw the code again (for the second ignition coil), so I pulled it out and saw that the boot was cracked. I pulled off the broken boot, cleaned the spring with some electronics cleaner, and put the boot back, sealing the split with RTV. If (when) it comes back again, I'll replace it.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Update re: the life and times of my beater van

After letting it sit for a couple weeks, I fired it up and noticed it was leaking something once running. A quick sniff confirmed it was petrol. Would still idle (after it worked through its usual cold starting issue), but when I tried it again today I couldn't even get it to idle without dying. Granted, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, but I figured 1) it wasn't a good idea to be doing that with petrol leaking out at a pretty steady rate and 2) the fuel leak was possibly what was starving the engine.

I got undernearth it and traced the leak to this doodad, what am I likely looking at? Am I pretty much SOL as far as patching/plugging it due to the corrosive nature of petrol? I really only needed this stupid thing to last me another couple of weeks/tens of kms until I move.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 14, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like an inline fuel filter. If it really is temporary, you could probably get away with bypassing it, but a replacement would only be a few bucks.

If it's in the engine bay, a metal replacement would be much less fire-prone, but if it's literally a 3-week fix then roll the die and hope the car doesn't burn down, lol.

Should be able to bring it into any parts store and get a replacement. They're generic / not application specific.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is buying used car from a city a big no no even if it has low miles? Like 40,000?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is buying used car from a city a big no no even if it has low miles? Like 40,000?

What color is it?

Serious response though - why would it matter where you bought it from? Look for he same thing you would anywhere - service records, carfax/autocheck and a PPI.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh my god just buy any car at this point!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

punk rebel ecks posted:

The only geographic consideration I might remotely consider would be whether or not the car spent winters above the snow line where roads are salted numerous times each winter. Otherwise, cowboys and city slickers both beat the poo poo out of their cars.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

What color is it?

Serious response though - why would it matter where you bought it from? Look for he same thing you would anywhere - service records, carfax/autocheck and a PPI.

I've heard that city driving is rougher on a car than country driving.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The only geographic consideration I might remotely consider would be whether or not the car spent winters above the snow line where roads are salted numerous times each winter. Otherwise, cowboys and city slickers both beat the poo poo out of their cars.

I see thank you.

Safety Dance posted:

Oh my god just buy any car at this point!

Calm down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It usually is, but 40k is not a big deal unless it's a year old. After years of stop-and-go city driving, gridlock traffic fender benders, and road salt accumulation, that's when I start to care about city vs highway. My Jeep has seen less abuse than others at 70,000 because I've moved across the country a couple of times since buying it so most of the miles are on the highway. But at only 70k, I doubt it would be in much worse shape if I drove it daily in a city.

You should really just read some buying guides online and get an idea of what's going on.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 14, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm sorry, it's just frustrating watching you invent heuristics surrounding the purchase of a samey driving appliance. My offer still stands -- I will gladly crawl around on the ground under a few cars to help you find one that isn't objectively terrible.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Godholio posted:

You should really just read some buying guides online and get an idea of what's going on.

I'll do this since it seems like I'm making you guys mad. Sorry I didn't mean to. I just wanted to make sure I buy the right car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's the best used car buying advice. You're conducting an interview with the owner of the car. It's often very clear when you're dealing with someone who takes care of their poo poo, or someone who treated it as a disposable appliance.

I think you're looking at the right vehicles, you just need to get out there and look/drive some cars. You will know when you have the right one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's the best used car buying advice. You're conducting an interview with the owner of the car. It's often very clear when you're dealing with someone who takes care of their poo poo, or someone who treated it as a disposable appliance.

I think you're looking at the right vehicles, you just need to get out there and look/drive some cars. You will know when you have the right one.

One of my favorite used card buying experiences is the guy who said a car had cosmetic damage only. Get there - the front reinforcement bar is entirely crushed in, the frame horns are bent inward and the SRS light is on. He seemed to think these items were only cosmetic issues. I told him that if he was to get into an accident the safety of that vehicle is severely compromised but he didn't seem to mind at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Yep. When I bought my Ranger, I test-drove one that I passed on, and attempted to test-drive another, before I drove (and bought) the one I ended up with. The first one I test-drove was listed (by a private owner) as having features it obviously didn't have, had multiple warning lights on, rattled like hell, and was in general a shitbox. I never even left the neighborhood with it. The owner - or at least the only person I'd been talking to - was either the wife or ex-wife or in process of becoming ex-wife of the primary driver of the thing, it wasn't really clear. Obviously no interest in the thing at all and didn't even bat an eye at the fact that I drove halfway down the street, turned around, parked it, and didn't so much as make an offer.

Next one was the one I tried to test-drive, some loving idiot who couldn't even be assed to meet up at an agreed time/place 30 minutes after agreeing to it. Too stupid to understand how to meet someone, too stupid to take care of a truck.

Last was the one I bought, and the second-owner seller practically couldn't wait to tell me all of the parts he'd replaced on it in recent history. As it turned out he didn't do such a good job of them so I had to redo a few but overall it was obvious that thing had been (mostly) taken care of despite being a cheap truck at a cheap-truck price.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

My 2002 BMW E46 is running rough. I pulled some codes that showed misfires in cylinders #3 and #6, and then checked the easy plugs and coils. The coils look pretty old, maybe original. Plugs look oily. I swapped the coil on #2 and #3 and reset the codes. It started rough, smoothed out, and then got rough again. After a minute of so, it said there was a misfire on cylinder #1. :what:

A bit of research tells me that the oily plugs could be a bad head gasket, rings, or CCV valve. It seems like they are fouled enough that they might be causing the misfire.

I'm no mechanic, but I was hoping I could throw a set of coils, boots, and plugs and fix the problem. Now I'm thinking I better have it towed to my shop. Am I on the right path here?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I am either have a conundrum or missing something obvious.

Got a classic no start, no spark situation. 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Died while driving at highway speeds and wouldn't restart. No engine codes. Starter engages and tries to turn it over but won't fire. Pulled a plug wire off and confirmed no spark. I can hear the fuel pump priming when key turned to on. I have pulled EVERY relay in the box and tested it completely with multimeter and batter and they all function perfectly. No fuses blown. I replaced the crank position sensor already because it was only $20. The battery has good charge and appears to hold just fine, although when we took it to autozone the tester said it was bad. The tech seemed to doubt his machine's diagnosis as well but who knows. Regardless, I've hooked up my truck's battery which has far more CCA and it sounds no better when trying to start. I have checked all the grounds I know of and they all seem intact and not corroded in any way. I even tried jumper cables to the battery neg terminal and various places like the engine block, exhaust mani, tranny, etc and it does no good.

My current thought is a broken timing chain/belt leading to no compression, just haven't taken it apart enough to look at it and hoping to avoid it but I'm afraid it's all I've got left. This doesn't address the no spark issue unless there's some relay or something that prevents spark if it detects there's no compression?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 15, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Maybe the spark is triggered by a cam position sensor, and if the belt broke its not turning. I would check compression or visually inspect the belt next.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
In Canada city cars suffer from stop and go traffic, short trips, and infrequent use. Country cars suffer from a constant hail of paint destroying dirt, salt and water. So really you're picking your poison. hosed drivetrain or hosed body.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone know what a good "priced to sell" number would be for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport size 255/35/19 with 6-7/32" depth left?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

RapeWhistle posted:

Anyone know what a good "priced to sell" number would be for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport size 255/35/19 with 6-7/32" depth left?

On or off wheels?
If on wheels, how rusty?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
How do I shop for new wheels and tires? At what point does the diameter of the wheels start affecting things like ABS sensors and speedo readings? I want wider wheels that will fit my Golf but haven't a clue where to start :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

How do I shop for new wheels and tires? At what point does the diameter of the wheels start affecting things like ABS sensors and speedo readings? I want wider wheels that will fit my Golf but haven't a clue where to start :ohdear:
Why do you want to go wider? What are you running currently?

Anyway, as long as the overall diameter is the same, the speedo etc will remain as before.

A common size that isn't quite bang on can save you a fair chunk without being a major issue as long as it's only a few percent out in diameter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

scuz posted:

This is a good site. Pop in your current tire size and you can see what some other options would do with your speedo. At the bottom you can change the wheel size.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Why do you want to go wider? What are you running currently?

Anyway, as long as the overall diameter is the same, the speedo etc will remain as before.

A common size that isn't quite bang on can save you a fair chunk without being a major issue as long as it's only a few percent out in diameter.
Thanks for the tip. I'm planning on doing some autocross stuff and with wider wheels I think it would be more stable? And, as much as I hate to admit it, I like the look of slightly wider wheels. Spacers are out there to maybe make it look different, but it strikes me as unsafe to do that kind of thing.

Bovril Delight posted:

This is a good site. Pop in your current tire size and you can see what some other options would do with your speedo. At the bottom you can change the wheel size.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/
Rad, thanks!

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Hey Thread, hope yall are all doing well. I have recently gotten involved in auto maintenance after not giving many shits about my car for a while.

If its not too much trouble, I'd like to consult this thread from time to time to get an idea of what should be repaired/replaced, when it needs to be done, how to check for it being broken/fixed, and a normal price range.

I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera, 3.8L Limited. Current tires: ALL except FRONT DRIVER are Continental ProContact (99T) P235/55 with FRONT DRIVER being a full spare loaded with a brand new Michelin Energy (R17 98V) P235/55 Radial XSE.

It needs a new set of tires. As I know nothing about tires, how does one go through the process of getting the tires they need, not buying the tires they don't need, and not spending too much money. The money isnt really an issue, I just dont like being overcharged. I also wouldnt like to downgrade, as I understand that tires being the point of contact between the road and I, I shouldn't just wing it with regards to that point of contact.

Is a tire store, either chain or "local", preferable to a dealer ship or big-box retailer? Also what about something like Sam's or Costco, assuming I could bum a membership to either? Online?

For conveniences' sake, I'd like to buy and have them installed, aligned, and balanced at the same location, but if another route will save me 10% or more, then I'd be okay with the hassle. Or really anything significant.

Thanks yall, I really hope I don't annoy too much and can learn something about my car, as well as how to best maintain it. This seems like the place to do such a thing

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Asking stupid questions is why this thread exists!

Your best bets as far as tire retailers go are Costco, Discount Tire, and TireRack.com. TireRack is great for researching different tires, finding out the correct sized tires for your car, and finding good tires in your price range. If you choose to buy through TireRack, they can ship tires to a local tire shop, who will install them for you. Whether this is cheaper than just going to Costco/Discount Tire is a tossup; Discount Tire is known for enthusiastically price-matching what you'll see online, and people love their service. I bought my most recent set through them, and was very pleased.

Unless you live somewhere weird like Key West or Nunavut, you probably want a good all-season tire. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS receives high praise. I haven't used one personally, but from what I hear, it's probably pretty good.

You probably have 17" wheels? Here's a link to good tire options for you: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&sortCode=49900

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Asking stupid questions is why this thread exists!

Your best bets as far as tire retailers go are Costco, Discount Tire, and TireRack.com. TireRack is great for researching different tires, finding out the correct sized tires for your car, and finding good tires in your price range. If you choose to buy through TireRack, they can ship tires to a local tire shop, who will install them for you. Whether this is cheaper than just going to Costco/Discount Tire is a tossup; Discount Tire is known for enthusiastically price-matching what you'll see online, and people love their service. I bought my most recent set through them, and was very pleased.

Unless you live somewhere weird like Key West or Nunavut, you probably want a good all-season tire. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS receives high praise. I haven't used one personally, but from what I hear, it's probably pretty good.

You probably have 17" wheels? Here's a link to good tire options for you: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&sortCode=49900

Going to go with the Kumho Sense - Gran Touring All Season http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...#RatingsReviews

I went with the cheapo option, but anything new is going to be much more solid than what the vehicle is currently riding on. I need to get my spare a new set of rubber too, its a full wheel - not a donut - thats what I'm currently using as my front driver wheel. Is that bad btw? Should I leave that one in the trunk and get the new tire on the original wheel? Or does it not matter? Also, for the one that will be sittting in my trunk, is getting a USED tire an okay idea? Provided that I do not drive long on the spare, treating it essentially like a donut? Or is getting a set of five Kumho's the safer option?

Thanks again, thread. This is a very nice thread, I feel more informed already. Just a price check, and I'll be done for the night -- what should I be paying per tire for installing them by the place theyre getting shipped tool

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If your spare wheel is the same as your normal wheels and is in good shape, it's okay to use it as a regular wheel. If I have a full sized spare, I prefer to get five matching tires and rotate through all five when I rotate my tires.

I do not know how much mounting and balancing will cost. It's highly variable based on location. In general, if you can find an independent tire place (the sketchier the better), you might be able to get it down to $20 per wheel. WalMart might do it for as cheap as $12, but only if you bring them the wheels and tires off the car.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
When does rust become a serious problem in wheel wells? I'm looking at a cheap Toyota Camry as a beater, and it has rust/a little paint bubbling around the wheel wells, and some relatively bad rust on the lower portion of the inner wheel well. If I only need the car to last for two years, should I not bother fixing it, or is it a safety concern?
Car in question:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sheet metal is almost never a major safety concern unless you're really scared of a tetanus shot. That picture is pretty bad and that thing is going to slowly dissolve, but if you're just looking for an A-to-B beater for a few years it's not a problem. The paint is bubbling because the metal beneath is all rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

On or off wheels?
If on wheels, how rusty?

off wheels, no rust.