Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Black Ops 2 had a part where you shoot up a nightclub in slow motion while Skrillex plays. That's level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
sounds like Club Doom

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best single payer shooter is blood

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it's more of a single player thrower

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Too many hitscanners.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alain Post posted:

Also, Doom has a far bigger mapping community for whatever reason.

Ease of creation. Quake's 3D levels require a ton more work than Doom's 2.5D levels.

Alain Post posted:

Black Ops 2 had a part where you shoot up a nightclub in slow motion while Skrillex plays. That's level design.

Farcry 3 had a part where you burn a field of weed plants with a flamethrower while Skrillex plays. :colbert: Now that's level design.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Alain Post posted:

They really know their target audience dont they.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Their target audience is me, because it was loving awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQMBsxp33qk&t=85s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Saying call of duty x is good is like saying nickleback is good

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Id Tech 5/6 that's used in Doom is really cool, it allows map editing to be hosted like a multiplayer map and multiple artists can modify the map in real-time with each other, which is amazingly great for professional production teams.
Sounds awesome! Wish we had that!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alain Post posted:

They stole that from the "shoot up a nightclub in slow motion while deadmaus plays" level from the Goldeneye remake.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNpho45LnhE

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So who is thinking about picking this up with that Revenant statue (which also comes with nothing else, no art book or anything)?

Anyone? :ohdear:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Is this a joke post? The on rails movement, the slow rear end shooting, the loving shithouse 'story' elements.. this is everything that is wrong with console shooters and why they loving suck in comparison to.. wait for it.. FUCKIN DOOM

If you thought Halo was awesome, that's because you were a scrub that didn't play shooters on PC for years before.

Please Bethesda show the children of today why their console shooters are such shite..

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the gripping and incisive narrative of Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Here is a part where you ride horses at a supervillain Death Tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcqf6rNyK8

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gameplay? The video said gameplay. I saw a few seconds of a railroaded horse riding thing where your riding in a straight line toward nothing, then some long rear end boring loving cut scene about who the gently caress cares what, then some more 'cut scene that you hold W through' and then I stopped watching because Jesus Christ.

When do do you get to play the game? When do you pit your skill against the computer that you've acquired through trial and error and accumulated experience? Where is the RISK? Oh yeah, console shooters..

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It was always really obvious that Treyarch focused more on the Multiplayer in their COD games over the campaigns. the MP in the Blops series is some of the best in the franchise, but the campaigns are a hilarious mess. Especially the last two.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Tony Montana posted:

Is this a joke post? The on rails movement, the slow rear end shooting, the loving shithouse 'story' elements.. this is everything that is wrong with console shooters and why they loving suck in comparison to.. wait for it.. FUCKIN DOOM

If you thought Halo was awesome, that's because you were a scrub that didn't play shooters on PC for years before.

Please Bethesda show the children of today why their console shooters are such shite..

I'm sorry you had to find out like this, but you're extremely gay.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AirRaid posted:

It was always really obvious that Treyarch focused more on the Multiplayer in their COD games over the campaigns. the MP in the Blops series is some of the best in the franchise, but the campaigns are a hilarious mess. Especially the last two.

The Blops and Blops2 campaigns are the best. I love the part where you play as the bad guy, a south american drug lord, and go on a first-person Coke Rampage. Almost every level has one bit in it that's just completely out there bizarre.

Anyway, this isn't really on-topic so I'll stop. I just love Treyarch's crazy-rear end campaigns.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hexen was fun

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Nickelback is good.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

net cafe scandal posted:

Nickelback is good.

this is going in sa.xls

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

call of duty 2 is not only good, it's really good

lotta guff given to good games like cod2 and quake itt

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alain Post posted:

The Blops and Blops2 campaigns are the best. I love the part where you play as the bad guy, a south american drug lord, and go on a first-person Coke Rampage. Almost every level has one bit in it that's just completely out there bizarre.

Anyway, this isn't really on-topic so I'll stop. I just love Treyarch's crazy-rear end campaigns.

I haven't played Blops 3 yet, but the World at War/Blops/Blops2 story arc was cool, and Menendez is the best, most compelling villain in any Call of Duty game.

Oh and his machete rampage level owned. JOSEFINAAAAAA!

Blackfyre posted:

So who is thinking about picking this up with that Revenant statue (which also comes with nothing else, no art book or anything)?

Anyone? :ohdear:
I have it on preorder through Amazon, because Prime members get it for 20% off.

Also it has a steelbook case for the game, too.

Oh and for all you folks who preordered Wolfenstein The New Order two years ago, your Doom beta code is finally useful: the closed multiplayer beta starts March 31st.

Oh and if you're like me and enjoy meaningless video game swag bullshit, GameStop now has the second of four Doom trading cards. They're doing one a month leading up to the game's release.
February - Revenant
March - Mancubus
April - Cacodemon
May - Cyberdemon

They're literally free trading cards, they don't have DLC codes or anything on them.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2016

koren
Sep 7, 2003

upping the ante, all in-game sound triggers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ech_xWAtBP4

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Oh and for all you folks who preordered Wolfenstein The New Order two years ago, your Doom beta code is finally useful: the closed multiplayer beta starts March 31st.

And ends 4 days later or some poo poo. And is pointless because I've been in the alpha group since the first weekend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

broken clock opsec posted:

And ends 4 days later or some poo poo. And is pointless because I've been in the alpha group since the first weekend.

Can I have your key then? :shobon: Haven't gotten to play the alpha but I didn't buy Wolfenstein at launch.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

+1 upvote because nobody likes old games anymore. LOL gently caress COD!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

broken clock opsec posted:

How are the keys being sent out?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got done re-reading the 7th Doom novel.

"7th?" I hear you say, "but Xeno, there's only 6."

I'm talking about the one that no one thinks about, the one that's a spin-off of a spin-off.

That's right, the Doom movie novelization.

The book is interesting because parts of it are clearly based on the earlier version of the movie's script when it was set on a distant planet called Olduvai rather than Mars (until the lack of Mars leaked to the public and there was pretty huge fan backlash, so the filmmakers changed it on the fly), and while the vast majority of the plot plays out exactly the way we see it in the final movie, there's whole scenes in the book that are added in. I haven't read the script for the movie (I don't even know if it's available online, I haven't looked), so I don't know if the author was writing scenes that were in the script but cut out, or if he was creating material from whole cloth.

I'm skimming over [url=http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Doom.pdf[/url]an early draft[/url] and yeah, it looks like the author fabricated a bunch of new scenes. I can say that the new scenes would have made the movie more coherent and better overall, but it'd have likely ballooned the budget quite a bit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:toot:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Bethesda. You own the Quake Announcer audio files. Just use that. Everyone likes that
The guy who voiced the Quake 3 Announcer was a programmer at Id who left alongside Carmack to work at Oculus, IIRC. This is why Quake Live got a new announcer VO when they had to record new lines in one of their updates - because the old guy was unavailable. They eventually managed to bring him back in another update, but apparently it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to arrange...

Awesome Welles posted:

Definitely a huge improvement over the Doom 1 port. For some reason the developers based that one off the Jaguar port?
Jaguar port was done by Id themselves, and their cut-down IWAD was used as the base for most of the console ports of the era. The SNES port was exempt because it was developed in secret and presented to Id for approval once it was finished.

Awesome Welles posted:

I thought it was interesting too that Industrial Zone and The Chasm were both split into two levels (A and B I think) rather than being cut from the game entirely. The group that did the Doom 2 port deserves a lot more credit IMO.
Doom 2 used a whole new, GBA-specific engine, Southpaw. There's a lot of work in that port...

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have played Quake online recently and my head is still spinning. Fun as poo poo, though.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Zeluth posted:

I have played Quake online recently and my head is still spinning. Fun as poo poo, though.

Original quake? I tried to find a game online last week and couldn't get into a decent server.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blackfyre posted:

Original quake? I tried to find a game online last week and couldn't get into a decent server.

New rocketmaps are on steam, silly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

By Quake Online do you mean Quake Live?

Or just Quake 1 with an internet connection?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm laughing way harder at this than I probably should be.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Jaguar port was done by Id themselves, and their cut-down IWAD was used as the base for most of the console ports of the era. The SNES port was exempt because it was developed in secret and presented to Id for approval once it was finished.

Doom 2 used a whole new, GBA-specific engine, Southpaw. There's a lot of work in that port...

Had no idea, that's cool though. Was Southpaw used for anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got defeated, alright? It wasn't because I tried.

I feel many of the players are using a better mouse.