Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Text/ASCII based smilies are emoticons, eg: :-)

Everything else is an emoji

Ha, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

Ha, nerd

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:golfclap:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

um, practically every emoji is for women. There are pages of hearts, tiny animals, and fashion accessories.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Emoji aren't emoticons, they're actually individual ASCII characters like the wingdings font. Forums smiles are tiny little images. Hope this clears the air.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now someone explain the difference between image macros and memes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
a meme is a popular image macro

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

hello old friend

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.bustle.com/articles/146329-bodyform-femoji-period-emoji-attempt-to-destigmatize-menstruation-but-they-miss-the-mark-in-some-major

why do millennial women try so hard to be unfuckable pigs

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
like you don't see millennial dudes lobbying for emojis to describe craft beer shits or artisanal barber shop razor burn

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Because Millennial guys will put up with it, since they are very bitchmade

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

People with powerpoint jobs not knowing how to use powerpoint. I've seen a lot of presentations with non-fullscreen slides recently.

Stupid slides which are read verbatim and contain too much detail are almost mandatory.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

MrMoo posted:

People with powerpoint jobs not knowing how to use powerpoint. I've seen a lot of presentations with non-fullscreen slides recently.

Stupid slides which are read verbatim and contain too much detail are almost mandatory.

Also the projector is facing the wrong way.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Greetings and salutations, all. Not-your-typical-millennial, checking in here. basically i'd consider myself more of a Greatest Generation member spiritually; big World War 2 aficionado for one thing, huge fan about it. Got all the pictures of the men on the Omaha beach landing + the epic one where they put up the flag as my screen saver; NOT the mens right meme versions that spells out "male privilege on it", but the regular real pic where this is just implied.

well, i'm ashamed to say it but it seems to me that a lot of people of "my" generation likes the wrong kind of phones and does the wrong kind of things on the phones; BIG fail. personally, what i'd like to see is a return the to time where society looked like the pre-war Fallout style, like the tutorial areas and tool tips of the 3D Fallouts, basically, maybe we can have everything looking like that again? just a thought

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I was going to say something about us having better fashion than previous generations, like the hot trend of perfectly buttoned shirts & grandpa pants with gallons of hair gel accentuating one's part in their hair.

But then we get:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
what are the right things to do on a phone? it used to be calling back in the days? or so the legends say.

ugly manpurse, tho manpurses own.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Siljmonster posted:

Now someone explain the difference between image macros and memes

Image macros are to memes what chairs are to furniture.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Wicker Man posted:

I was going to say something about us having better fashion than previous generations, like the hot trend of perfectly buttoned shirts & grandpa pants with gallons of hair gel accentuating one's part in their hair.

But then we get:

I'm the soft, supple, ivory soap dainty hands with "rough" "hands" tattooed on them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mad Monk posted:

I'm the soft, supple, ivory soap dainty hands with "rough" "hands" tattooed on them.
this person looks like a man who would have been turned away from ellis island

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

But then we get:

those hands look really soft actually.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

I am a professional and I use emojis

owned, rofl

i make sure to use them in all of my passwords

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

But then we get:

it takes a lot of money to look poor

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

it takes a lot of money to look poor

Envy him not, for he is poor in taste and judgement.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

lol

quote:

The emoji set ignores the fact that women aren’t the only people who get periods. Some trans men do, as well — and yet, the three “femoji” which feature people depict only women. I realize that the intention behind the emoji design likely wasn’t meant to be exclusionary, but it’s just one more example of the trans erasure which is already rife throughout our culture. What’s more, it’s trans erasure that could have been avoided if a little more thought had been put into the issue. Even the name — a portmanteau of “female” and “emoji” — implies that the emoji set applies specifically to women, rather than to all people who get periods.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

hahaha won't someone think of the transmen that also discard their uterine lining once a month?!

did anyone watch Episode 7 of Horace and Pete ? (I know I'm a masochist), but Louie bangs a wachowski and then she gets offended when he says he has the right to know she had her dick cut off.

I was lawlin.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

This is why the right wingers always crush the leftists in the end.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

notZaar posted:

This is why the right wingers always crush the leftists in the end.

Yep, olds see insignificant poo poo like that, get all riled up, then go vote for some dude who wants to cut their Medicare lol

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009
22 reasons why it's good to be a millennial

Insufferable highlights include:

quote:

11. Exciting parts of the past are new to us – and we can discover them at any time:
When the Beatles appeared on Spotify over Christmas, people in their 20s who experience all their music digitally had a way to connect with one of the biggest bands of all time. You might sneer at someone who has never listened to the Beatles, but there is nothing more exciting than old music that is new to you.

quote:

22. For us, experiences mean more than stuff:
We’re not used to owning things because we don’t have the spare cash to buy them or space to put them, so we pour our energy into supporting the “sharing economy”. We don’t even have anything to throw away – we’re good for the environment. Mug a millennial and you’d be lucky to get a bus pass and a coffee receipt. Please don’t take our phones though – we live on those.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

18. We feel younger for longer
Millennials can enjoy youth culture for longer. Our parents might have been made to feel bad if they weren’t “settled” at 28 – but the 28-year-old of today might be an intern, or eat ice-cream for breakfast, or spend their disposable income on amassing an enviable collection of Lego.
:cripes:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I cant wait till we get to 'rediscover' and experience the Great Depression all over again.

I've always been a fan of early and mid 20th century history anyway.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

or not drive lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I cant wait till we get to 'rediscover' and experience the Great Depression all over again.

I've always been a fan of early and mid 20th century history anyway.

I can't meet those margin calls right now, all my money is tied up in Legos.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yes mug a millennial for their bus pass but leave their smart phone...

Who has a bus pass anyway besides symbolic

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-14/19-year-old-who-outperformed-99-hedge-funds-2012-shares-her-financial-secrets

A 19 y/o posted:

"When I was 16 I was like, I understand a lot about, you know, companies," the "Desperate Housewives" actress told "Good Morning America" co-anchor Amy Robach. "And ... how they IPO on the stock exchange. I had this understanding and know-how. I had the skill of managing money...."

A new generation of traders.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There are a lot of sites proposing new emoji,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/supportwemojis/wemojis-emojis-of-color-and-popular-culture
http://www.fanmoji.co.uk

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It's crazy to me that with all the truly hosed up injustice and poo poo in the world that people choose to spend their time fighting the tyranny of stupid little faces.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Where my boner emoji? I've been putting up with this eggplant poo poo for too long.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It's crazy to me that with all the truly hosed up injustice and poo poo in the world that people choose to spend their time fighting the tyranny of stupid little faces.

They don't want to fight real fights, so they pick small easy ones.

They just want to feel good about themselves on facebook they don't want to actually do anything.

Do-nothing social media activism is a millenial hallmark if there ever was one.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Think about these white people who are faking being black for a high profile career in activism.

It's not about social change or any higher good to them, it's all totally self serving bullshit.

• Locked thread