Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah but you paid in buttcoin so you're doing alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Re: Commuting--I recall hearing somewhere that the happiest people commute <45 minutes, so that's something to take into consideration.

I can vouch for that. When I last moved I went from an hour and a half commute to 35-40 minutes. An hour and a half or so saved every day, for five days, adds up to a lot of personal time each week. Not to mention that the longer your commute is, the greater the odds for a severe delay. Waiting 2 hours for the commuter train to show up because the switches were freezing doesn't make for a fun January Monday, and being stuck for hours in a traffic jam due to an accident isn't much better.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Who are these psychotic assholes getting financing but waiving appraisal? Do never attempt to buy in Seattle....

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You could really unload a lovely house for a lot of money in Seattle right now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You could really unload a lovely house for a lot of money in Seattle right now.

As someone who works in real estate in Seattle, I can confirm this is the case.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I had to waive the appraisal contingency on my offer to get my house in Dallas :(. It appraised ~8.5k low, but luckily the market has made up more than that in the last year.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

IllegallySober posted:

How insanely rich are you now, be honest

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

IllegallySober posted:

Is it you? Are you my loving realtor who keeps showing us poo poo we can't afford!?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Drunk Tomato posted:

How insanely rich are you now, be honest

Not at all, since I'm not licensed (I'm an operations manager, not an broker).

TequilaJesus posted:

Is it you? Are you my loving realtor who keeps showing us poo poo we can't afford!?

Nah, I don't think so. Our brokers are pretty good about not showing clients homes above their price range (at least in comparison to a few others I know).

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

TequilaJesus posted:

What was chapping my rear end was telling a realtor my top-end budget, them asking what my down payment was, me replying "20%", and them tacking 20% onto my top-end budget. No! That's not how it works! I have 20% for what I said to you, not what I said plus 20%!

My wife and I fired like 6 realtors for this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bet those realtors deal with a lot of customers who take their preapproval number, tack on their down payment, and buy that much house. Since the preapproval is for the maximum sized loan, and the down payment is added to the borrowed amount to equal the amount of house they can buy.

Not that that excuses the realtor, especially if they show you a house above your price after you say "this house is above our price" like what, they didn't hear you or something?

I'm just pointing out why a realtor might be doing that math that way in the first place.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It really depends on the market too, there are a lot of markets where it's not uncommon to get a home for 15% below listing price.

Granted, I know Seattle's not one of them.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't find anything in the OP and this thread is huge but I'm hoping to get some opinions on manufactured homes. I've been reading about the differences between modular and manufactured. Some say modular is just as good as site built, some say both are fine, and some say both are terrible and will depreciate rapidly. Some say the type of home doesn't matter, it's the location and market that matters.

I plan on asking my realtor for his opinion but I'm not dumb enough to believe what he says, so I'm hoping people here might be able to share their experience.

This is in the Austin TX area for reference, which is a completely insane market. We're having to go almost an hour from the city to find something affordable and the majority of the homes are not site built in these small towns. We've seen some very nice, well kept, late 90's manufactured homes and I'm just worried buying manufactured will be a huge mistake down the line if we need or want to relocate.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I had to waive the appraisal contingency on my offer to get my house in Dallas :(. It appraised ~8.5k low, but luckily the market has made up more than that in the last year.

I would do it if I had about 30k more cash on hand. At this point bidding 11% over listing I'm terrified of it coming in 20k low and being completely broke or losing my earnest money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

resident posted:

I would do it if I had about 30k more cash on hand. At this point bidding 11% over listing I'm terrified of it coming in 20k low and being completely broke or losing my earnest money.

Surely that'd fall under your financing contingency, so you shouldn't lose your earnest money?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No housing bubble to see here. Move along.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm new to this and probably still a few months away from seriously trying to buy, but I tried to go look at a house that seemed to check all the boxes. It popped up on Redfin on Tuesday, and by Thursday they had 5 offers above list price and weren't taking any more viewings. Definitely not a bubble.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One of my friends told me her boyfriend (Also my friend) and her bought a house last weekend. They looked at it and then were told to make an offer because the owners had already received one. She didn't really know any important details as he's handling everything but she did say they "waived contingencies" with their offer. :stare:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We're also back at rock bottom interest rates again, that's probably heating up the market.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SpartanIV posted:

One of my friends told me her boyfriend (Also my friend) and her bought a house last weekend. They looked at it and then were told to make an offer because the owners had already received one. She didn't really know any important details as he's handling everything but she did say they "waived contingencies" with their offer. :stare:

Don't be fooled, kids, buying a house is fun and easy!!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Bubble 2.0? Or wait is this the third bubble now I can't keep them straight. Why does this poo poo keep happening in election years?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm in the middle of a cash-out refi and have property taxes due April 15th. I am expected to close in a couple days. The new mortgage company pre-funded about $3500 for property taxes into my escrow account to pay the taxes. Unfortunately my old mortgage company just paid the property taxes as well, so now I have an over-funded escrow account that I was planning on using for home improvements.

Can I pull money out of the escrow account? Do I need to contact them or force a re-balance or something?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

I'm in the middle of a cash-out refi and have property taxes due April 15th. I am expected to close in a couple days. The new mortgage company pre-funded about $3500 for property taxes into my escrow account to pay the taxes. Unfortunately my old mortgage company just paid the property taxes as well, so now I have an over-funded escrow account that I was planning on using for home improvements.

Can I pull money out of the escrow account? Do I need to contact them or force a re-balance or something?

Get them to change the escrow amount on the settlement statement by providing proof they were just paid before you close? Or don't close.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Get them to change the escrow amount on the settlement statement by providing proof they were just paid before you close? Or don't close.

Should probably say docs were signed Thursday so we officially closed I suppose, just nothing has funded yet.

Looks like I can just call up the mortgage company and request a re-balance anyways and get the money sent back as a check.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I listed my house this week, for a solid six figures more than I paid for it 5 years ago. I'll pretty much get it, too. Real estate is hosed up.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

slap me silly posted:

I listed my house this week, for a solid six figures more than I paid for it 5 years ago. I'll pretty much get it, too. Real estate is hosed up.

Man I'll be lucky if I can get it to appraise for $10k more than I paid; and that's after dumping way more than $10k into it.

Do never buy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Man I'll be lucky if I can get it to appraise for $10k more than I paid; and that's after dumping way more than $10k into it.

Do never buy.

I had to take out a 32k loan to sell my condo after spending a lot of time and money upgrading it.

Don't even think about buying.

Man where I'd be right now if I could've even just walked away from closing without losing or making a cent :smithicide:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Meanwhile in Seattle, Zillow just informed me that their estimate for my home value is literally 50% higher than the price I paid in 2012.

That'd be cool if I was trying to leave the area but I'm not so all it means is my property taxes just got jacked way up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Unfortunately you have to deal with those awful terrible dorky seahawks fans, so you should probably sell and move.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Meanwhile in Seattle, Zillow just informed me that their estimate for my home value is literally 50% higher than the price I paid in 2012.

That'd be cool if I was trying to leave the area but I'm not so all it means is my property taxes just got jacked way up.

Well the tax rate should be reduced by the same amount but we both know they forget that part. Everyone at the assessors office gets a raise! Have you considered a house boat?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Is there a good program (preferably OS X) out there for creating a floorpan for a house along with placing furniture, marking things like electrical outlets, and other stuff someone might want to do upon buying and being about to move into a home?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Axiem posted:

Is there a good program (preferably OS X) out there for creating a floorpan for a house along with placing furniture, marking things like electrical outlets, and other stuff someone might want to do upon buying and being about to move into a home?

If you are already in the house, I've used MagicPlan before and it's worked pretty well. It's for iOS and if you want to export to PDF you need to pay $3 but you can keep the plans in the app for free while you play with it.
http://www.sensopia.com/english/product.html

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sweet Home 3D is fun and easy.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Any amusing horror stories from the final walkthrough or something falling apart at closing? ENTERTAIN ME HOUSING THREAD

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pryor on Fire posted:

Any amusing horror stories from the final walkthrough or something falling apart at closing? ENTERTAIN ME HOUSING THREAD

From a WSJ story earlier this year:

Joan Levinson posted:

I go to close on a $3.25 million house in Paradise Valley and I am about to do the last walk-through with the seller. I get there first, walk in…and I smell [something] damp.

A pipe in the master bathroom upstairs had broken and there is about a foot of water in the bathroom and the bedroom carpet is all wet. Downstairs in the laundry room, part of the ceiling looks like it’s pregnant: The plaster is hanging down about 18 inches. I’m ready to have a heart attack. The buyer is on the way to the house, in his own car.

After about 20 minutes of hyperventilating, I call the buyer and say, “Let me tell you what’s happening. It’s not great. But you’ll be happy it’s happening this week instead of next week because it’s not your house yet.”

It took me at least a month to fix the house with a restoration company, but it closed and the buyer got some money to redecorate. I can’t believe I got that closed.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Okay I own a house! A duplex, to be precise. 48 days in escrow, closed 3 days late because of appraisal snafus.

Purchase price of $710k, and the appraisal came in $675k. I disagree with the appraisal I think my purchase price is fair, but whatever. Seller's first reaction is telling me to get a new appraisal, cause a few new comps closed which support the higher price. My agent says no, no, let's close the deal. Surprising to me seller agrees to meet in the middle at a $700k. That means I have to come up with the cash for a higher down payment (which I can do but didn't want to), because bank will only finance 80% of the lower appraised value.

At this point I get his signature to reduce to $700k, but I still don't want to put down the extra cash, so I go back to get a second appraisal, which my lender said he would cover the cost of. It was ordered as a "rush" but the appraisal management company essentially blew it off. Five days later I'm at scheduled escrow close date, and I say screw it let's just close. Lender rushes to get all loan docs ready, two days later I sign all final paperwork, and the next day I close.

The duplex is occupied. I am kicking out one of the tenants out to owner occupy, and leaving the other tenants there (who have been there 6 years). They will cover approximately 60% of my monthly mortgage, taxes & insurance. And I get a nice 1,000 sq ft 2br/2ba for not too much money!

And as soon as I save up another 20% down payment, I can move out of this one and owner occupy another duplex!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stack that cheddar son.

Trying to convince my wife to do the same here in a couple of years.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Speaking of final walk throughs, at least it seems par for the course buying occupied multi family, but I did not do a final walk through and no one even brought one up.

I need to replace a couple kitchen pipes, and caulked the cracked fiberglass shower floor as a temporary fix before I move in and redo the shower.

The only major issue is: leaking/not draining correctly AC evaporator unit in the attic. I knew that; however, when I just met the tenants for the first time they told me they discovered significant mold stains on the carpet, presumably because water was dripping from the attic down the walls to the floor and sitting and molding. This part scares me, but fingers crossed I can just remove some dry wall, replace any wood that needs replacing, and re-drywall. All cheap materials.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

At a coffee shop eavesdropping on a lady trying to talk a young couple into an "innovative new product" that lets them cash in their 401ks to help cover the down payment on buying their first place. Bubble is real, prepare for the coming apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pryor on Fire posted:

At a coffee shop eavesdropping on a lady trying to talk a young couple into an "innovative new product" that lets them cash in their 401ks to help cover the down payment on buying their first place. Bubble is real, prepare for the coming apocalypse.

I'm waiting for it to hit so I can get a house in Chicago for under 500k :hellyeah: