Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Her -2 and -8 are control walker abilities but she's in RW and her +2 is aggressive. Kind of pulling in 2 different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

This is reasonable, since one of Ajani Vengeant's main play modes was to -2 immediately, although Ajani Vengeant also had way more relevant other modes and gain 3 life was definitely relevant.

Her +2 is a worse Duck but Duck would be playable in 4 formats for that alone. She's strong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

looks like a planeswalker art to me, plus he's the face of the set and all that

I mean I wouldn't be opposed to four walkers.

We already know a Sorin and Arlinn are being spoiled so.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
They better game loss people who call her the harbringer though.

Also bets on who says it wrong first on scg coverage? My bet is on CVM and/or Boswell.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If we do not get Tammy Moonsocks 2.0: Has Seen Too Much this block, I will be so upset

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Barry Shitpeas posted:

looks like a planeswalker art to me, plus he's the face of the set and all that

Tom Cruise Jace is the best/worst considering he acts the smug rear end in a top hat really well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How possible is it to alt flavortext to include beatboxing?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Her -2 and -8 are control walker abilities but she's in RW and her +2 is aggressive. Kind of pulling in 2 different directions.

Filtering isn't really aggressive, control decks like to do that too.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Zoness posted:

They better game loss people who call her the harbringer though.

Also bets on who says it wrong first on scg coverage? My bet is on CVM and/or Boswell.

My money's on Hunt. He's the actual worst.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Funny how her ultimate doesn't work as you'd hope with Batterskull.

She seems good, disregarding her ultimate she either comes down and draws a card in place of one you don't want or exiles something. And she can get to 8 pretty quick, so if there's something good to use with it that can be a big threat. There might be times you don't want to use the +2 and can't use the -2 mind.

Edit: One of the best things about her is she can come down, -2 and threaten to -2 again.

+2 has a may on it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Filtering isn't really aggressive, control decks like to do that too.

It's not card advantage though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Brownhat posted:

My money's on Hunt. He's the actual worst.

- Someone who didn't watch a single second of CVM and Boswell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Neither is Ponder, that doesn't stop it from being a 4 of in control.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

suicidesteve posted:

- Someone who didn't watch a single second of CVM and Boswell.

I have. Hunt is still worse by a huge margin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Neither is Ponder, that doesn't stop it from being a 4 of in control.

Ponder is 1 mana in the best control color... This is in aggressive color in a format with bad mana.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

This confirms Jace will be UB

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

This confirms Jace will be UB

wat

you'll have to explain that logic

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think red is as one-dimensionally aggressive as it traditionally was anymore. You have cards like Goblin Dark Dwellers and Abbot to grind out some value.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Ponder is 1 mana in the best control color... This is in aggressive color in a format with bad mana.

We still don't know what mana this set will have, if any. At the very least between painlands, manlands, and the bofas an UWR control deck is certainly a possibility.

E: a midrange deck even more likely, and she plays incredibly well with madness and she is good with Goblin Dark Dwellers.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

We haven't even seen the mana in the format yet what are you talking about?!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Also as others have probably noticed, repeatable discard outlets are good in a set with madness.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

It's going to be bad just because there are 6 playable colors now even if we get another cycle of friendly lands.

TheKingofSprings posted:

We still don't know what mana this set will have, if any. At the very least between painlands, manlands, and the bofas an UWR control deck is certainly a possibility.

E: a midrange deck even more likely, and she plays incredibly well with madness and she is good with Goblin Dark Dwellers.

I just don't think a control deck wants her +2, or even something mid rangy... We'll see, it's just a guess at this point anyway.

sarmhan posted:

Also as others have probably noticed, repeatable discard outlets are good in a set with madness.

Agreed, but my point was that that deck will probably be pretty aggressive.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I think fiery temper is probably a 4-of in a deck that wants to play nahiri at least

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Would her -8 have been too good if you could sneak attack in something from your hand and not just the library? That seems awkward in some cases too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Would her -8 have been too good if you could sneak attack in something from your hand and not just the library? That seems awkward in some cases too.

who knows but there's no space on the card

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elyv posted:

who knows but there's no space on the card

I'm pretty sure all you'd have to do is add "or hand" after "Search your library" in the first sentence.

edit: nm, that gets messy with the shuffle clause then, since they'd presumably word it to only have you shuffle if you searched your library

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like this new Nahiri a lot. I think she has plenty of potential. She's better than Narset ever was.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

I think fiery temper is probably a 4-of in a deck that wants to play nahiri at least

If enablers keep showing up the way they have so far, fiery temper is going to be a great card. Really surprising it is at common even given WOTC stance on good removal being at least uncommon lately.

Nahiri doesn't seem all that good right now. The plus isn't a great turn 4 line of play unless there is some zero cmc madness costs. I feel like the creature part of the -2 could have had a restriction but still have been better. Instead of tapped it could have had a power/toughness restriction or something similar. That way it stays flexible and doesn't just become a better bobby nixon. I just don't see how someone could play her over a more efficient madness enabler or strictly more powerful, specialized card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

If enablers keep showing up the way they have so far, fiery temper is going to be a great card. Really surprising it is at common even given WOTC stance on good removal being at least uncommon lately.

Nahiri doesn't seem all that good right now. The plus isn't a great turn 4 line of play unless there is some zero cmc madness costs. I feel like the creature part of the -2 could have had a restriction but still have been better. Instead of tapped it could have had a power/toughness restriction or something similar. That way it stays flexible and doesn't just become a better bobby nixon. I just don't see how someone could play her over a more efficient madness enabler or strictly more powerful, specialized card.

I feel like she would've been better 2 standards ago. Come down for 4 and destroy your Anafenza that just attacked seems like something good to do.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, this is all assuming there are actual good madness cards because I'm not gonna run Nahiri just to run 4 copies of lightning bolt. If she's not enabling something better that that I don't think she's particularly good. And that's still an open question given that Maro was concerned about how good Madness would be to begin with.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

And next up on "Mcmagic makes sweeping generalizations with minimal information".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rules question for any judges: if I activate Sinister Concoction do I get to see what card I milled before I choose what card to discard? It could be pretty relevant if I'm trying to enable Delirium this turn.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Then I am grateful they designed a planeswalker that is flexible instead of a 4 auto include in every deck running her colors. She isn't bad, because she can be removal, or, like people are saying, a madness trigger. Depending on other removal in the white and red realm, I can see people running 2 of her.

I don't think she will be played for her -8, but people probably will run 1 fatty just in case they do hit 8.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Rules question for any judges: if I activate Sinister Concoction do I get to see what card I milled before I choose what card to discard? It could be pretty relevant if I'm trying to enable Delirium this turn.
You go in the order it's listed, so yes.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I get the feeling that the "tapped" clause on Nahiri is going to make a lot of people feel a lot worse about the card once they actually try it in practice

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yes you do, that card is designed to get delirium on early.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, this is all assuming there are actual good madness cards because I'm not gonna run Nahiri just to run 4 copies of lightning bolt. If she's not enabling something better that that I don't think she's particularly good. And that's still an open question given that Maro was concerned about how good Madness would be to begin with.

Two things to agree with this. She also can't come down and turn 4 and active madness. She turns your bolts into sorcery speed.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes you do, that card is designed to get delirium on early.

If I ever get to play Modern Grixis Control again after Eldrazi winter is over, this card will be SWEET in that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

You go in the order it's listed, so yes.

You actually pay it in any order you want (601.2g, which is the same for activated abilities as it is for spells per 602.2b)

"The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Delirium is a wonderful name for a mechanic.

"Are you delirious?"

"Nah, I'm still lucid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

You actually pay it in any order you want (601.2g, which is the same for activated abilities as it is for spells per 602.2b)

"The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid."

I don't see any situation where you would want to discard before you mill...

• Locked thread