Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Demiurge4 posted:

Fastfood restaurant decor in Iceland weird me the hell out. They all look like really fancy places (by danish standards) but then they serve pizza and not much else. Papas pizza in grindavik has a really nice log wood decor that reminds me of old fashioned British bars for example.

Now I'm out bowling with my coworkers and the restaurant here is super fancy but their menu card is an oversized white postcard with nothing but pizza and an onion rings appetiser.
I don't think we ate so much fish & chips, hot dogs, burgers and pizza in a smaller time period than when I went to Iceland for two weeks. My girlfriend joked that we might leave the country with scurvy with so rarely we could find a menu item with green vegetables or fruit in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The things Icelandic people did to vegetables before they really picked up Asian/Latin American ways of cooking kinda make me glad they had no variety to them.

The only way they knew was boiling them, really. And boiled vegetables are almost universally the worst ones, unless you do it properly.

Nowadays of course we have vegan and vegetarian places galore, but you're still pretty much poo poo outta luck outside the capital. Though the Ethiopian place in Flúđir rocks.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Do you happen to know of any Icelandic émigrés living in Trinidad? :) I passed by the harbour the other day and saw a replica drekkar (sp.?) with an Icelandic flag flying. Will post pictures ASAP.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Do you happen to know of any Icelandic émigrés living in Trinidad? :) I passed by the harbour the other day and saw a replica drekkar (sp.?) with an Icelandic flag flying. Will post pictures ASAP.
I don't know them personally, but I know plenty of people that have moved to S-Africa and Nigeria, as well as one in Ghana, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is "ítalska sendiráđinu" correct? Would it not be "ítalskt sendiráđinu" since "sendiráđinu" is neuter and "ítalskt" is the neuter form of the adjective "ítalska"?

Or is the adjective form affected by the fact that "sendiráđinu" is declined so as to be definite dative?

Content:
http://imgur.com/HzqacGi,OLCsNnB,Bs...lZej,pBFIKtP#25

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is "ítalska sendiráđinu" correct? Would it not be "ítalskt sendiráđinu" since "sendiráđinu" is neuter and "ítalskt" is the neuter form of the adjective "ítalska"?

Or is the adjective form affected by the fact that "sendiráđinu" is declined so as to be definite dative?

The former is correct, bugger if I know why. Some of the best advice I heard from a professor of Icelandic grammar was to never ask anyone not properly educated in Iceland about it because they have no idea why they say things; we've internalized years of grammatic learning with no idea how or why it works.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I think that goes for most languages, at least when we're talking native speakers.

Thank you for answering my petty grammar question. I'd ask it somewhere more relevant, but unfortunately your beautiful language is too obscure for such a place to exist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

http://grapevine.is/mag/articles/2015/09/03/why-is-icelandic-considered-difficult-to-learn/

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
How is the reliability of the ferry that connects Landeyjahöfn to Vestmannaeyjar (and back)?

It's hard to find a good answer online. I noticed that you can prebook at http://www.visitwestmanislands.com/ but further research (mostly resulting in tripadvisor posts) shows that it might not even be running.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Not an Icelander, but judging by the ferry itself, and experience with similar, local waters, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Vestmannaeyjar page only talks about the summer season, but this Eimskip page has a full breakdown of how the ferry sails.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of the time the ferry goes from Ţorlákshöfn instead, like it did for most of it's history until they decided to shave a couple hours of the sailing time by building a new dock closer to the islands. There's a large glacial river nearby that empties into the sea near Landeyjahöfn carrying with it a shitload of sand which builds up by the shore. When there is a lot of sand the harbour isn't deep enough for the ferry to use it. They do try to constantly pump out the sand but it's expensive and the pumpboats can't handle bad weather. A few times there's been 150+ days straight where the ferry has to use the older more reliable dock.

So not very reliable.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Also, from what I understand, the ferry rarely reaches capacity, with the exception of bringing a car on-board because that space is extremely limited. Between that and the high chances of it not running for various reasons, it seems like you would be ill advised to pre-book. That said, if everything works in your favour, I would recommend Vestmannaeyjar for a day. It's gorgeous.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Yeah, we booked a stay through airbnb at a place on Vestmannaeyjar for one night. I got a reply from the contact form on visitwestmanislands.com and they said that while they (obviously) can't guarantee passage, we will get a refund if it doesn't work out. Also, I'm thinking that it would be better to bring the car over since we won't necessarily come back to the same ferry launch on the mainland.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just don't go on the first weekend of August. There's this big festival in the valley on the main island and about 10-16 thousand people go to get shitfaced and gently caress. Because of this every single hotel, guesthouse and hostel will be booked and all camping areas packed with rowdy drunken teenagers. The local businesses also tend to raise their prices around this time so everything goes from pricey to really pricey.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I will never understand the Westman Islands and I shun them, as all should. Pretty neat landscape though, if you're into that kinda stuff. Try out the pancakes at Hvolsvöllur if you're using the Landeyjahafnar crossing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Should I incorporate a small herb and/or vegetable (leafy greens etc.) gart could pnyden into my quail pen? SEms like they would eat the bugs, it could only do good things for the plants

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

Should I incorporate a small herb and/or vegetable (leafy greens etc.) gart could pnyden into my quail pen? SEms like they would eat the bugs, it could only do good things for the plants
Actually, it's only when they're young that quails subsist on a primarily insectivore diet. When they become adults, they start eating more greens and so your herbs would sadly be in danger of being et by the quails. Maybe it would add flavour to them? Otherwise, not a great idea.

Dadmancer
Apr 20, 2013
My friend is visiting Reykjavík and she sent me a picture of a toilet paper dispenser that dispensed individual sheets. It looks similar to a contraption that restaurants in the US use for napkins. Are these common in Iceland? Where I come from, we get our toilet paper on rolls and rolls only.

Are there any other plumbing novelties foreigners might not expect? I went to Mexico on a university trip, most of the pipes couldn't handle TP so there was a wastebasket next to the toilets. Apparently some classmates were too weirded out by this and clogged their host families' toilets, more than once! :911:

Thanks so much for the thread, it's been super interesting & informative.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No, that is bizarre and odd, which is fairly normal in of itself. Novelties galore.

We mostly use standard European toilets here, which are somewhat inferior to the German poopshelves, but less wasteful and likely to wet ur butt than American ones. Thankfully we had no plumbing until fairly late so ours is acceptable still. You can wash your toilet paper straight to the closest filtration plant. :iceland:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dadmancer posted:

My friend is visiting Reykjavík and she sent me a picture of a toilet paper dispenser that dispensed individual sheets. It looks similar to a contraption that restaurants in the US use for napkins. Are these common in Iceland? Where I come from, we get our toilet paper on rolls and rolls only.

Are there any other plumbing novelties foreigners might not expect? I went to Mexico on a university trip, most of the pipes couldn't handle TP so there was a wastebasket next to the toilets. Apparently some classmates were too weirded out by this and clogged their host families' toilets, more than once! :911:

Thanks so much for the thread, it's been super interesting & informative.

Those used to exist in the US.
Edit: the single sheet tp thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm kind of an Iceland fan boy, being in the asatruar community and even have an aegishjalmur tattooed on my arm, but I really don't know as much about Iceland as I'd like to :iamafag:

Is it true that road construction is postponed or even waylaid because it's illegal to disturb faerie haunts?

What are must-see areas of Iceland? Particularly nature spots?

What are the religious demographics like on Iceland? I recently learned that you guys are building your first pagan temple in thousand years, but I feel like there must be a good deal of christians as well.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tias posted:

I'm kind of an Iceland fan boy, being in the asatruar community and even have an aegishjalmur tattooed on my arm, but I really don't know as much about Iceland as I'd like to :iamafag:

Is it true that road construction is postponed or even waylaid because it's illegal to disturb faerie haunts?
Well, elves happen to live in deeply rooted, strong rocks that would be hard to break or shift, especially back in the day. Those that dealt with these rocks would also find all their tools breaking, not working well or in cause of elf hills, ridden with anthrax.

Alas, we no longer respect the elves as much as we once did; we now move the rocks instead of changing things around. The hills are still moved around though.

Tias posted:

What are must-see areas of Iceland? Particularly nature spots?
You can't really travel around Iceland without seeing nature everywhere, except maybe in the city centers. The Golden circle is a good snapshot of Icelandic nature, but each quadrant of Iceland has some amazing sights, with the caveat that to look at them you need to stay much longer, especially in the West Fjords, which are a hassle to get around in but are very nice.

Tias posted:

What are the religious demographics like on Iceland? I recently learned that you guys are building your first pagan temple in thousand years, but I feel like there must be a good deal of christians as well.
http://statice.is/statistics/society/culture/religious-organisations/

I really should link this in the OP, because StatIce gives you pretty much all the statistical info about Iceland you could want.

Only about half of Icelanders are members of the national, lutheran church. The rest are atheists, pagans, some other type of Christian, a few muslims and buddhists and some more exotic ones as well.

Things have changed really rapidly since back in the day, when just getting Ásatrú in was a hassle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really enjoyed the Golden Circle when I went around it with my dad so definitely check it out. I still haven't gone to the Blue Lagoon though because when I ask anyone the reaction always ranges from "it's okay" to "it's a lovely tourist trap" so, :effort:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Another Icelander here chiming in. On the topic of religion, there are more than 3,000 members registered as Zuists, though as the link mentions, it's openly a protest against a tax that each citizen must pay to their religion(and is not refunded to those not belonging to any religion), so their mission is just to refund taxes paid to them.

Re: The Blue Lagoon. I'm in the "it's okay" camp. That was several years ago, though, and I really only expect the place to get worse as it's marketed as the #1 destination for tourists, and they keep multiplying. Hot springs aren't exactly a rarity in Iceland, you can easily find others, though they'll be less accessible from the capital. If you have the time to travel to the north, Mývatnssveit has both Myvatn Nature Baths, which is to the Blue Lagoon what your mother's cooking is to McDonald's, and Grjótagjá, a cave filled with warm water. I've visited both and had a much more pleasant experience than in the Blue Lagoon.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Alternately: If you go at a time when the Blue Lagoon not completely full (not sure when that is precisely...definitely during the day before the schoolchildren show up) it is basically the most-worth-visiting tourist trap I have ever seen in my many years of elitist globehopping. It is an experience unlike any you are likely to find anywhere else in the world besides Iceland--even if I would also have no problem believing there are as-good/better hot springs elsewhere. I have just for various reasons not been able to really get far from Reykjavík in any of my three visits, so I was quite thankful for its existence.

Of course I have basically liked every single place I have been and thing I have seen in Iceland, so my taste is questionable. Actually no, Prikiđ's breakfast was not that great :colbert: Lunch, though...oh drat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Having read the entire OP I can see that you learned Danish in school. When did that stop, and are you still fluent?

Also, would you mind if I wrote you some PMs? My girlfriend and I are aching to go to Iceland, maybe we could run some questions by you.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Having read the entire OP I can see that you learned Danish in school. When did that stop, and are you still fluent?

While i cant speak for OP, but i started learning danish in 7th grade and stopped when i was 18ish.

I can read some danish/norwegian/swedish (because they are all the same), but i cant speak any of them beyond asking for beer.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tias posted:

Also, would you mind if I wrote you some PMs? My girlfriend and I are aching to go to Iceland, maybe we could run some questions by you.
You do it from around 12 to, well. 18 is normal. I took languages, so 20 for me. I am so far from fluent that I speak better Norwegian than Danish. I can read it ok though.

As for PMs, they didn't survive my ban, so alas, if you wanna get in contact, you can email me at Malcowitz at gmail.com, it's the one I use to get in touch with folks in this thread.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I started learning danish in 4th grade, I was one of the last kids to start that young. I started english in 7th grade, but cartoon network, TV, adventure games and reading books on my own left me far ahead of the curve.

Feel free to PM me with stuff regarding stuff.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've just spent this whole workday blazing through this thread, and now I want to visit Iceland even more than I did before! Thanks for making it, can't wait to read more stuff!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just want to talk about how utterly hosed up bank loans and especially mortgage loans are in Iceland. I just rent, but colleagues I have owe way more on their houses than they did 10 years ago because loans adjust up for inflation, that's kinda hosed up. I haven't met a happy home owner yet.

Can someone give me a comprehensive overview on it? I assume it's because the money has to come from abroad and so they have crazy requirements for security but drat, it's straight up usury.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I just want to talk about how utterly hosed up bank loans and especially mortgage loans are in Iceland. I just rent, but colleagues I have owe way more on their houses than they did 10 years ago because loans adjust up for inflation, that's kinda hosed up. I haven't met a happy home owner yet.

Can someone give me a comprehensive overview on it? I assume it's because the money has to come from abroad and so they have crazy requirements for security but drat, it's straight up usury.
We could talk about the verđtrygging, to be sure.

Orrrr, we could just point out that the Icelandic banks have a monopoly on Icelandic banking an prop up a system of loans that benefit them in every way and actively hinder the access of foreign banks by sitting on all the available "bank numbers" so that we still don't have a Scandinavian style "Folksbank" yet.

10 Beers posted:

I've just spent this whole workday blazing through this thread, and now I want to visit Iceland even more than I did before! Thanks for making it, can't wait to read more stuff!
Hah! Arright, this has been an evening for making folks happy.

I really should add goon discounts to the OP, as I have access to some of those these days for folks visiting here, at least for some tours and poo poo.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Demiurge4 posted:

Happy homeowner here. We even paid off our entire mortgage in five years, owning our house outright at 34, despite having a child. Though admittedly we got lucky with our purchase time (2010) and both have higher than average salaries.

The banking system is usurious and needs some overhaul, but it's not actually that difficult to stay on top of inflation increases unless a person is living paycheck to paycheck (which some are, but not too many homeowners are in such dire financial straights they can't chop a few habits down so they have extra funds for those inflation increases).

Additionally there are non inflation indexed loans offered now, though the requirements put them out of reach for most people.

Here is an article comparing the costs between Reykjavik, San Fran, and the US average, put together by my husband (top 7 photos by yours truly) http://creativekarlsson.com/interesting/how-expensive-is-iceland/

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

poopinmymouth posted:

Happy homeowner here. We even paid off our entire mortgage in five years, owning our house outright at 34, despite having a child. Though admittedly we got lucky with our purchase time (2010) and both have higher than average salaries.

The banking system is usurious and needs some overhaul, but it's not actually that difficult to stay on top of inflation increases unless a person is living paycheck to paycheck (which some are, but not too many homeowners are in such dire financial straights they can't chop a few habits down so they have extra funds for those inflation increases).

Additionally there are non inflation indexed loans offered now, though the requirements put them out of reach for most people.

Here is an article comparing the costs between Reykjavik, San Fran, and the US average, put together by my husband (top 7 photos by yours truly) http://creativekarlsson.com/interesting/how-expensive-is-iceland/
Oh that was your husband doing that? Tell him I quite liked that article and shared it with folks I knew.

Also, Nice pics.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh that was your husband doing that? Tell him I quite liked that article and shared it with folks I knew.

Also, Nice pics.

Thank ya! We're trying to keep adding regularly financial content.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

poopinmymouth posted:

San Francisco is kind of an outlier in general when it comes to comparisons, because it exists in a very weird sociopolitical space, between the poor (who have been flocking to SF since even before the 60s), the rich (highly skilled workers drawn by the plethora of highly skilled jobs) and the greedy (who raise prices and evict to capitalize on the tech gold rush).

On a somewhat related note, how exactly is WOW Airline? They're coming to SFO this summer (along with a poo poo ton of other new flights).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wow is dreadful, but inexpensive. I usually go to the US at least partly to shop, so Icelandair offering me 2 checked in bags is good and in-flight stuff is better.

If you are willing to put up with their inadequacies, you might save some money I suppose. Nice colour scheme too.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I really enjoyed the Golden Circle when I went around it with my dad so definitely check it out. I still haven't gone to the Blue Lagoon though because when I ask anyone the reaction always ranges from "it's okay" to "it's a lovely tourist trap" so, :effort:
We went at the end of our trip and enjoyed it a lot. It helped that it was at the end of tourist summer season and it was late afternoon (they are busiest in the mornings when they first open) so it wasn't too crazy. It definitely is a tourist trap, but after 10 days of endless walking and climbing hills/rocky paths/volcanoes, we were happy to go to a tourist trap. Sitting in a giant hot tub drinking fruity alcoholic drinks for a couple hours was just what we needed. Wouldn't judge anyone for skipping it, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
They're also the only really viable place for foreign folks to get drunk in a hot tub; you wouldn't know the right people in the right pools (hint: anywhere in the countryside) to ask about slipping into the pool with some and it's unusual to bring people to the other natural abode of the hot tub; their suburban house or, more commonly, the Summer House.

There is something wonderful about being drunk, in the warm, as you freeze your hair into interesting shapes with the clear night sky above you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wow is dreadful, but inexpensive. I usually go to the US at least partly to shop, so Icelandair offering me 2 checked in bags is good and in-flight stuff is better.

If you are willing to put up with their inadequacies, you might save some money I suppose. Nice colour scheme too.

Please come to Kentucky and bring cool stuff and drink copious amounts of bourbon.

• Locked thread