Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I think Ryder Hesjedal used a motor in his bike to win the Giro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

serious gaylord posted:

The UCI are going after Van den Driessche with everything. They're chasing a lifetime ban and a 50,000 Euro fine.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/uci-seeking-lifetime-ban-and-50000-euro-fine-for-femke-van-den-driessche/

How lovely would you feel if you were her friend and had to stick to that lame cover story?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

The UCI are going after Van den Driessche with everything. They're chasing a lifetime ban and a 50,000 Euro fine.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/uci-seeking-lifetime-ban-and-50000-euro-fine-for-femke-van-den-driessche/

Was expecting more fine, less ban. But fair enough - wonder if the severity of the ban came about as her brother is a proven cheat and they dont want this family back in cycling?

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I really really want to like OGE, but these helmets are a travisty.

e:

simmyb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 10, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Still not as bad as the POC Dickhead, also in that picture, but highlighted here for the groove:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Still not as bad as the POC Dickhead, also in that picture, but highlighted here for the groove:

Why are electric bikes banned but that helmet is legal?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Its weird because POC makes the nicest looking ski helmets,and goggles. And their cycling helmets and glasses are ugly as gently caress

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

African AIDS cum posted:

Its weird because POC makes the nicest looking ski helmets,and goggles. And their cycling helmets and glasses are ugly as gently caress

I like the glasses but then again I also like these, so I'm probably not the best candidate.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Quite the nail biter in TA today. Stybar railed those corners.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Russian Bear posted:

Quite the nail biter in TA today. Stybar railed those corners.

Yeah he had that dialed. Those turns just after the top of the climb were hairy.

Speaking of hairy, Bouhanni won at Paris Nice and didn't kill anyone.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Pocket posted:

Why are electric bikes banned but that helmet is legal?

Hard to prove that inducing convulsive laughter actually affects your opponents laughter? The effect might be counteracted by the morale boost the presence of one of those provides a breakaway?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Was expecting more fine, less ban. But fair enough - wonder if the severity of the ban came about as her brother is a proven cheat and they dont want this family back in cycling?

I think they're able to prove shes ridden it and are using it as a really strong message to others, in that they can find them now, and when they do you're out for life.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

She also has significantly less resources than a world tour GC rider for a legal defense.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

She also has significantly less resources than a world tour GC rider for a legal defense.

I imagine her family have bankrupted themselves defending her drug cheating brother and parrot thieving father.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

serious gaylord posted:

drug cheating brother and parrot thieving father

god I love cycling

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Bet they make way more money on the exotic bird black market than women's cyclocross. It's a blessing in disguise and now she can learn the family business.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I will be eternally greatful for a gif of Nathan Huss' lil incident on stage 4 :lol:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I didn't watch the stage today so it took me a minute to figure out who you meant, but yeah good crash.

http://youtu.be/GP0VbF0OoPw

dema
Aug 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I think they're able to prove shes ridden it

My understanding is that doesn't matter if she's ridden it or not.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Paddyb posted:

I didn't watch the stage today so it took me a minute to figure out who you meant, but yeah good crash.

Ahhh I can't spell his surname, that's why I couldn't find it :downs:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I love that you see a quick flash of the wheel as he goes over.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Paddyb posted:

Races with paris in the name give the best crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XY6DkV2eA

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Slow news day at Cyclingtips, but some good Pro-Quotes at the end about Peter Sagan's leg hair.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/peter-sagan-kicking-in-some-holy-houses-by-not-shaving-his-legs-does-the-peloton-care/

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
That last stage of Paris-Nice was incredible. Peloton is going to be much duller when Contador leaves

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/Mattbrammeier85/status/709034611863654401

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
A Brit coming out of relative averageness to become capable of sticking with and beating the worlds best climbers....this seems a pretty common theme at Sky.

Guessing well have a Thomas TdF win in 2017 or 18

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I wish people would stop saying Thomas has 'come out of nowhere' he's been good since he was a junior and has two Olympic track golds for fucks sake

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
If it had just been a climb he probably would have lost. He made his time back on the descent, apparently he used a 54T ring for the stage

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Vando posted:

I wish people would stop saying Thomas has 'come out of nowhere' he's been good since he was a junior and has two Olympic track golds for fucks sake

You know who else has track golds and can climb? Absolutely nobody except the British.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Has it really ever been tried before though? Don't get me wrong, I thought sky was all kinds of suspicious last year in the TDF, but my understanding when Sky launched was that it was sort of innovative(with some predicting its failure) to try and take a bunch of track cyclists and make them legit Grand Tour contenders . I could be way off on that, though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A lot of it comes from just plain not liking the riders which is why Wiggo gets a pass apparently

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Sky are generally wankers, but Thomas will forever be Cool and Good for riding the entire Tour with a broken pelvis

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Agreed. Thomas and Stannard are both cool and good IMO.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

clean ayers act posted:

Has it really ever been tried before though? Don't get me wrong, I thought sky was all kinds of suspicious last year in the TDF, but my understanding when Sky launched was that it was sort of innovative(with some predicting its failure) to try and take a bunch of track cyclists and make them legit Grand Tour contenders . I could be way off on that, though

A lot of the seasoned British pros got their start on the track because that was the only development program, no road program afaik. Wiggins described the Manchester velodrome as kind of a central HQ where everyone circled around (including the roadies who started their training rides from the building). As opposed to most teams that hosed off during the off season.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Thomas is really entertaining to watch, the last two stages of Paris Nice were good racing. Chasing down Contador on the final descent on stage 7 was pretty impressive even if he had a lot of help.

His jump from super clean domestique to GC guy was sort of abrupt and makes some people raise their eyebrows.

Oh and Sagan shaved his legs?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

I imagine her family have bankrupted themselves defending her drug cheating brother and parrot thieving father.

What the hell is that family, a Monty Python skit become real life?

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
He pretty much has come out of no where when it comes to road stuff. Exactly like wiggins and froome. A plugger who youd sometimes see leading a team up the early parts of a climb as a sacrifice before the real poo poo kicked off....and then... theyre GT winners. Anyway, its just interesting. I havent formed a dislike/like of the guy either way yet, so, I dont really care.

Am I completely loving insane or was Milan-Sanremo always a sunday race, coz eurosport are advertising it as saturday (v.early AM sunday) here. That would have totally caught me out if I hadnt of seen that ad.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've got a PR advice for Team Sky and their GC contender(s): Watch Contador's ride yesterday and learn.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Box Hill Strangler posted:

He pretty much has come out of no where when it comes to road stuff. Exactly like wiggins and froome. A plugger who youd sometimes see leading a team up the early parts of a climb as a sacrifice before the real poo poo kicked off....and then... theyre GT winners. Anyway, its just interesting. I havent formed a dislike/like of the guy either way yet, so, I dont really care.

Yeah I tend to find Sky suspicious too but my point is more that if it hasn't ever really been tried before(converting track guys to road guys) we can't really say for sure that it's completely outrageous. The process of switching from track to road might just be that it includes a couple of mediocre years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know it's cool to hate Sky, but Thomas has a solid record on one week stage races this year and last, where the actually targeted them (i assume). I don't think he has what it takes to hang in week 3 against the top crop though.