Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
For both Newegg and Amazon it's really more about who you're actually buying the drives from since both sites allow 3rd party sellers to post things for sale. If you're buying the drive direct from Newegg or Amazon it should be packaged correctly; however if you're buying it from a 3rd party seller on the site it's more of a crapshoot as to how well the drive is packaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krailor posted:

For both Newegg and Amazon it's really more about who you're actually buying the drives from since both sites allow 3rd party sellers to post things for sale. If you're buying the drive direct from Newegg or Amazon it should be packaged correctly; however if you're buying it from a 3rd party seller on the site it's more of a crapshoot as to how well the drive is packaged.

Newegg is famous for packing stuff like crap, even purchased directly from them. Between that and their piss-poor return policy (Charging for return shipping on DOA products? gently caress you), I'm an Amazon guy through and through. Amazon normally matches their sale prices within a day or two, if it's a long-term sale.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Newegg doesn't charge return shipping for faulty products.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I've had nothing but perfect condition stuff from Newegg, but I live literally an hour away from them

ufarn
May 30, 2009
One of the reasons I stopped buying books from Amazon was the packaging that always resulted in dented books. It's very hit and miss, and I don't know what the trick is to always getting the right packaging, but entering something in the text field for the order probably doesn't hurt.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
I setup a raidz2 array and enabled compression. I tested it originally by copying some random files and it seemed to be working fine. It no longer seems to be working after I've copied a few terabytes to it. I tested with a few large text files to make sure its not just that data I have stored currently and they had the exact same size my regular drive as the pool. Have I changed something obvious here without realising?

zfs get all output

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Say I avoid the bare drive and buy the retail packaged version for a fiver more, can I assume that counts as being packaged properly, whatever the condition of the bigger box and the amount of padding they choose to ship it in?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Donald Duck posted:

I setup a raidz2 array and enabled compression. I tested it originally by copying some random files and it seemed to be working fine. It no longer seems to be working after I've copied a few terabytes to it. I tested with a few large text files to make sure its not just that data I have stored currently and they had the exact same size my regular drive as the pool. Have I changed something obvious here without realising?

zfs get all output

You've copied 5.25TB of data, was a lot of that incompressible? ZFS doesn't write compressed records unless it sees at least a 12.5% decrease in disk usage, and a large volume of incompressible media will more or less lock your compressratio to 1.00.

Have you looked at the files themselves, not just the drive as a whole? I use LZ4 compression as well and on a bunch of source code I see du -A reporting numbers about twice as high as du.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Flipperwaldt posted:

Say I avoid the bare drive and buy the retail packaged version for a fiver more, can I assume that counts as being packaged properly, whatever the condition of the bigger box and the amount of padding they choose to ship it in?

Generally yes unless the retail package is punctured or something crazy like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Generally yes unless the retail package is punctured or something crazy like that.
Cool, thanks. All the stories about improperly packaged drives had me worried, but if that adds an extra layer of insurance against the hassle of having to return it, then that's worth 5€ to me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
WD released a 8TB version of the My Book Desktop External drive. Has anybody heard anything about it?

I've been thinking about consolidating my current drives into a single set-up.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Flipperwaldt posted:

Cool, thanks. All the stories about improperly packaged drives had me worried, but if that adds an extra layer of insurance against the hassle of having to return it, then that's worth 5€ to me.

I bought 5 drives on Amazon recently, one of them was from some random seller because Amazon would only let me order 4 from them direct. The 5th one ended up being retail packaging for some reason, and didn't seem to be packed as well as the 4 OEM drives. I tested them all before putting them in my NAS though, and haven't had any issues thus far.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&pagenumber=329&perpage=40#post453714531

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Call Me Charlie posted:

WD released a 8TB version of the My Book Desktop External drive. Has anybody heard anything about it?

I've been thinking about consolidating my current drives into a single set-up.

My approach is getting a 8TB internal/external drive to back things up to. Putting all of your eggs into a single cheap usb enclosure is very risky. I've seen a lot of them fail.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mayodreams posted:

My approach is getting a 8TB internal/external drive to back things up to. Putting all of your eggs into a single cheap usb enclosure is very risky. I've seen a lot of them fail.

I just got the 8TB Seagate 'archive' 5400RPM drive. It is only for backups, and I got the internal drive with the 3 year waranty. I don't trust Seagate for poo poo but for like $215 it is hard to beat at 8TB.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just to parrot what everyone else has said, if you literally don't care about your 8TB of data, go hog wild. If you do care about your data - don't.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

eightysixed posted:

Just to parrot what everyone else has said, if you literally don't care about your 8TB of data, go hog wild. If you do care about your data - don't.

It's just movies currently spread out over three external drives. I figured I could get the 8 TB one, put the data on it and leave the old drives as backup. My current drives are getting a little long in the tooth and I'm worried about the Seagate one dying all of the sudden. I've already had one of their 3 TB drive bite the dust a year after I bought it.

redeyes posted:

I just got the 8TB Seagate 'archive' 5400RPM drive. It is only for backups, and I got the internal drive with the 3 year waranty. I don't trust Seagate for poo poo but for like $215 it is hard to beat at 8TB.

The WD one is $250. That's why I was kicking it around as an option.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Call Me Charlie posted:

My current drives are getting a little long in the tooth and I'm worried about the Seagate one dying all of the sudden. I've already had one of their 3 TB drive bite the dust a year after I bought it.

RAID5 or 6?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's been a while since the OP has been updated, so just to make sure I have current information, is there any reason for me to build my own NAS setup if all I plan to do with it is store video for playback from an HTPC? I've got about 5TB of 720p video, but I plan to start replacing that with 1080P and 4K video, so I'll need room to grow. The Drobo 5n sounds like it should be well-suited to this, but I didn't see Drobo mentioned much, if at all, in the couple pages I just skimmed. I did see Synology come up a few times; is there a particular reason to prefer one to the other?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Toast Museum posted:

It's been a while since the OP has been updated, so just to make sure I have current information, is there any reason for me to build my own NAS setup if all I plan to do with it is store video for playback from an HTPC? I've got about 5TB of 720p video, but I plan to start replacing that with 1080P and 4K video, so I'll need room to grow. The Drobo 5n sounds like it should be well-suited to this, but I didn't see Drobo mentioned much, if at all, in the couple pages I just skimmed. I did see Synology come up a few times; is there a particular reason to prefer one to the other?

Drobo's are slow, overpriced, and proprietary.

Synology is not.

The reason to roll your own is more control and more performance if you're doing anything other than what you're doing.

So, basically, get a Synology.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Toast Museum posted:

The Drobo is basically using witchcraft and voodoo magic to hold your data together. God help you if the enclosure dies.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Synology also just released an Apple TV app for all the people used to Plex

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Skandranon posted:

The Drobo is basically using witchcraft and voodoo magic to hold your data together. God help you if the enclosure dies.

Is Synology's "hybrid RAID" similar voodoo? Their forum's wiki says it's not proprietary, which is something, but how much of a pain in the rear end is it to recover data from such an array if the enclosure dies? I've read enough of the thread to see that RAID 5 is dicey with large disks, but I don't know if I should be leaning toward RAID 6, Synology's hybrid RAID, or something else. Being able to add larger disks without having to replace every disk sounds nice, but not nearly as nice if it creates a bunch of other hassles.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I had Drobo as my first NAS. Struggled with it for a year - was slow, randomly hung / crashed. Server apps for it are basically non existent and poorly supported if at all. Never again. Got a Synology, 3 years later still couldn't be happier with it; IO speed, apps, its management UI, remote management / access are great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Toast Museum posted:

Is Synology's "hybrid RAID" similar voodoo? Their forum's wiki says it's not proprietary, which is something, but how much of a pain in the rear end is it to recover data from such an array if the enclosure dies? I've read enough of the thread to see that RAID 5 is dicey with large disks, but I don't know if I should be leaning toward RAID 6, Synology's hybrid RAID, or something else. Being able to add larger disks without having to replace every disk sounds nice, but not nearly as nice if it creates a bunch of other hassles.

No, it is just an mdadm array.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone have experience with AsRock Rack boards? I've been eyeing one of the new Xeon E3 v5's + Mini ITX board (really want to make that Node 304 with 6 drives work) for a FreeNAS build, and there's only really two options;

This Supermicro (which I'm lead to believe is the gold standard brand)
$189, But it's on the older chipset and such only has 5 SATA ports + an M.2. The newegg description says it uses Non-ECC RAM but if I'm reading SM's 1998 style website correctly it can take either? Because a workstation/server-ish board that can't use ECC RAM would be worthless?

And these Asrock Rack boards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599009
$199, 8 SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599005
$259, 6 SATA, M.2, IPMI

Given they recommend booting off a USB stick, an M.2 SSD for the OS is likely overkill; and that I probably don't need IPMI for something in my home (right?), I could just go with the cheaper Asrock.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
AsRock Rack makes good stuff, buy with confidence.

I think Supermicro might also charge extra for unlocking IPMI, or was that another brand that I heard does that?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Goddamn. Was all stressing out about upgrading the drive in my Diskstation, but it turns out there's like 600GB in the recycle bin folders.

Can't you configure them to toss out anything trashed over a month ago or something? I'm not sure where to look.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
One of the Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 in my RAID 5 kicked it, what's a good NAS drive at the 2TB size right now under $100 that will play nice in an array with 2 more of those? I'm a bit out of the game. Appreciate it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The Milkman posted:

Anyone have experience with AsRock Rack boards? I've been eyeing one of the new Xeon E3 v5's + Mini ITX board (really want to make that Node 304 with 6 drives work) for a FreeNAS build, and there's only really two options;
I've got a mini ITX ASRock C224 board. It's been really good for my FreeNAS build and the IPMI / BMC is something greatly appreciated now that the replacement board I got for my old server doesn't have one and now I'm fishing for a monitor to mess with the configuration. IP KVMs are already like $100+ so having that on there is easily worth it if you're trying to build a headless server setup.

priznat posted:

I think Supermicro might also charge extra for unlocking IPMI, or was that another brand that I heard does that?
That sounds more like an HP move to make with ILO updates (among others) costing an annual license fee that's been controversial.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HP require a valid support contract to be in place on a server to get certain updates. iLO is still a one-off purchase as it's always been as far as I know.

The HP Service Pack for ProLiant is a quarterly-released DVD9 image and contains every update for non-EOL servers. I can't imagine it being particularly hard to obtain from er, alternative sources.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

priznat posted:

AsRock Rack makes good stuff, buy with confidence.

I bought a Supermicro board for my new server build and IPMI works out of the box. There is even an iPhone app!

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Goddamn. Was all stressing out about upgrading the drive in my Diskstation, but it turns out there's like 600GB in the recycle bin folders.

Can't you configure them to toss out anything trashed over a month ago or something? I'm not sure where to look.

You do it from the Task Scheduler. Control Panel->Task Scheduler (in advanced mode, or just search for it). Click Create, then Recycle Bin. There's options to make it auto-clean on a schedule, including only deleting contents that are X days old. I have mine auto-delete anything less than a week old every week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

I bought a Supermicro board for my new server build and IPMI works out of the box. There is even an iPhone app!

Yeah, licensing IPMI does not sound like Supermicro to me. If a SM board has no IPMI, it's because it's physically removed. Some of their general market boards don't have it, but more often these days it seems you'll find custom OEM stuff they do where they drop it to shave some pennies for the original buyer. The X8SI6 I have is done that way - the regular market could only buy the X8SI6-F with IPMI. The used one I bought that was some form of ReadyNAS before, has no IPMI, but is still silkscreened as an X8SI6.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Glad it's not Supermicro, I like their stuff.

Anyone got an X11 board for a NAS setup yet? What CPU? X11SSM-F looks like it would be a great home server/NAS board.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

You do it from the Task Scheduler. Control Panel->Task Scheduler (in advanced mode, or just search for it). Click Create, then Recycle Bin. There's options to make it auto-clean on a schedule, including only deleting contents that are X days old. I have mine auto-delete anything less than a week old every week.
That's super, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I was half convinced it wasn't going to be possible.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mcsuede posted:

One of the Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 in my RAID 5 kicked it, what's a good NAS drive at the 2TB size right now under $100 that will play nice in an array with 2 more of those? I'm a bit out of the game. Appreciate it.

Just get another Hitachi NAS drive or possibly a WD Red.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my new 8TB drive shows up as 7.2TB.. this marketing poo poo is getting annoying

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

redeyes posted:

my new 8TB drive shows up as 7.2TB.. this marketing poo poo is getting annoying

What is annoying is that most operating systems haven't yet acknowledged 30+ years of storage industry reality and >100 years of convention in other technical and industrial fields. It's such a simple thing to display file sizes and disk capacities using proper SI power-of-10 unit prefixes. OS X is the notable exception and guess what, feels good when your 8TB drive shows up as 8TB because it actually is 8.0 trillion bytes.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Computers interpret "Giga" "Mega" and "Tera" bytes as powers of two, instead of powers of ten. And by computers, I mean dumb poo poo like windows. The proper amount of space is actually there, it's just displayed dumb.

What Windows is actually reporting is space in "Gibi" "Mibi" and "Tebi" bytes, or GiB, MiB, TiB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Computers interpret "Giga" "Mega" and "Tera" bytes as powers of two, instead of powers of ten. And by computers, I mean dumb poo poo like windows. The proper amount of space is actually there, it's just displayed dumb.

What Windows is actually reporting is space in "Gibi" "Mibi" and "Tebi" bytes, or GiB, MiB, TiB.

It might be useful for drives, but I'm not sure I would be completely happy when the OS tells me I have 34.3597 GB of RAM.