Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got the MM update for wear and I can start calls through the regular dialer but I can't seem to start one through my Google voice number in hangouts. Is this possible?

I can switch to my watch on the phone once I've started a call but not start one one the watch, at least for Google voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm honored to be quoted in the thread title. thx good mod sir

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Police did an Android Wear roundup, 9 apps and 29 watch faces:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/05/38-best-android-wear-apps-and-watch-faces-from-12315-3416/

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Yes reading documents and trading stocks on my watch, exactly what I've always wanted to do.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

I developed the Elementary face in that article. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wtf.hipster.elementary

I'd appreciate any feedback on it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The little retaining loop on my OG 360 band has finally broken. I've been expecting this for months now as it was always a bit lovely, the inside layer of leather fell off a long time ago and the single stitch making it into a loop was getting looser and looser.

Motorola don't sell replacement bands in the UK so I appear to be entirely hosed. Currently using an elastic band which looks about as good as you'd imagine.

Edit: There are some cheap-looking bands on Amazon with mixed reviews so maybe I'll try one of those. Just need to hold out for a nice Snapdragon Wear 2100 powered Moto 360 2016.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 6, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tunga posted:

The little retaining loop on my OG 360 band has finally broken. I've been expecting this for months now as it was always a bit lovely, the inside layer of leather fell off a long time ago and the single stitch making it into a loop was getting looser and looser.

Motorola don't sell replacement bands in the UK so I appear to be entirely hosed. Currently using an elastic band which looks about as good as you'd imagine.

Edit: There are some cheap-looking bands on Amazon with mixed reviews so maybe I'll try one of those. Just need to hold out for a nice Snapdragon Wear 2100 powered Moto 360 2016.

Almost any 22 mm band that uses spring bars will work, just buy something you like rather than getting ripped off by motorola.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Almost any 22 mm band that uses spring bars will work, just buy something you like rather than getting ripped off by motorola.
As far as I'm aware bands have to have the central cutout to fit the OG 360.

Also I literally cannot get ripped off by Motorola.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

As far as I'm aware bands have to have the central cutout to fit the OG 360.

Also I literally cannot get ripped off by Motorola.

It has to be narrow enough to fit in there but it's not only official ones that qualify.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fixed with a bit of tape, it's on the inside of the strap so it doesn't show up, it's actually a better fit than before it fell apart so that'll do fine for a few months until some nice third gen watches show up.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'd like to get a smartwatch primarily to use as a fitness tracker/keep track of my calendar as well as keeping track of emails/SMS. The OP seemed a bit out of date, but from looking around it seems like the Samsung Gear S2 and Pebble Time seem to be well reviewed/meet those requirements. Does anyone have experience with these, or other recommendations? I do have a Samsung phone that I guess might be more compatible with a Samsung watch, but it's really not clear to me if that + the brighter screen is worth the extra cost, or if these are even the best watches to be looking at! Would love any advice.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I absolutely love my Pebble Time Steel. Battery lasts for 10+ days and it does what you are looking for, but not everything and the kitchen sink.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

foutre posted:

I'd like to get a smartwatch primarily to use as a fitness tracker/keep track of my calendar as well as keeping track of emails/SMS. The OP seemed a bit out of date, but from looking around it seems like the Samsung Gear S2 and Pebble Time seem to be well reviewed/meet those requirements. Does anyone have experience with these, or other recommendations? I do have a Samsung phone that I guess might be more compatible with a Samsung watch, but it's really not clear to me if that + the brighter screen is worth the extra cost, or if these are even the best watches to be looking at! Would love any advice.

If you want a fitness tracker smartwatch get a fitbit, the samsung software is catastrophic. Can't comment on the pebble.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

foutre posted:

As far as I can tell, no smartwatch is good at keeping accurate data as a fitness tracker.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Huawei Watches are up to 30% off on Amazon, today only:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013LKLS2E

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Alright, leaning towards the cheapest Pebble Time I can find a real fitness tracker then, thanks for the advice.

Also, fwiw, when I went to look at smartwatches in person today the Huawei watch display model's screen had some of the lines of the watch face faintly showing whenever you switched to other screens; it looked like a series of permanently discolored pixels burned into the screen from being on too long. Probably not something to worry about in
regular use, but worrying nonetheless.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

foutre posted:

Alright, leaning towards the cheapest Pebble Time I can find a real fitness tracker then, thanks for the advice.

This is basically what I do. I wear a Moto360 smartwatch and a fitbit flex.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

foutre posted:

Also, fwiw, when I went to look at smartwatches in person today the Huawei watch display model's screen had some of the lines of the watch face faintly showing whenever you switched to other screens; it looked like a series of permanently discolored pixels burned into the screen from being on too long. Probably not something to worry about in
regular use, but worrying nonetheless.

It's not worrying, it happens with all amoled/p-oled displays at stores and won't happen if you use it normally.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
The speakers on the Huawei watch work now.

source: me being woken up by two alarm noises and realizing one came from it.

Hooray!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

As far as I can tell, no smartwatch is good at keeping accurate data as a fitness tracker.

The people at Fitbit are loving morons for not designing watchband that attaches to a standard watch (including the Apple Watch and Wear) that has the Fitbit guts in it but nothing else. They built their own dumbass smartwatch instead of ceding the market that no one is really good at and making the thing that they are really good and allowing it to attach to any watch.

I honestly don't understand why this is a product they don't make, watches are seriously back in style, fitness trackers are all the rage, stop trying to make lovely combination products and just let people clip a Fitbit to the watch they already wear.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

The people at Fitbit are loving morons for not designing watchband that attaches to a standard watch (including the Apple Watch and Wear) that has the Fitbit guts in it but nothing else. They built their own dumbass smartwatch instead of ceding the market that no one is really good at and making the thing that they are really good and allowing it to attach to any watch.

I honestly don't understand why this is a product they don't make, watches are seriously back in style, fitness trackers are all the rage, stop trying to make lovely combination products and just let people clip a Fitbit to the watch they already wear.

Considering Fitbit has intentionally made a business decision not to sync data with Apple Health or Google Fit, interop with smartwatches -- if even just as a band -- seems like it's not on their radar at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Three Olives posted:

The people at Fitbit are loving morons for not designing watchband that attaches to a standard watch (including the Apple Watch and Wear) that has the Fitbit guts in it but nothing else.
With an idea like that, I'm not sure Fitbit is the moron here.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With an idea like that, I'm not sure Fitbit is the moron here.

As somebody who may someday buy an android watch, but will not buy an android watch and a fitbit because I'm not going to switch watches for exercise, this seems like an idea that would allow them to continue selling their own hardware at their own prices, while also meaning I might purchase their hardware in the future, instead of just not. Why is it moronic?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

surc posted:

As somebody who may someday buy an android watch, but will not buy an android watch and a fitbit because I'm not going to switch watches for exercise, this seems like an idea that would allow them to continue selling their own hardware at their own prices, while also meaning I might purchase their hardware in the future, instead of just not. Why is it moronic?

I also think it's a cool idea

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

surc posted:

Don't switch. Wear the watch on your left arm and a fitbit flex on the right.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

surc posted:

Off the top of my head:

1) Look at the total volume of the working guts of a Fitbit-type device, then look at the size of a watch band.

2) Watch bands need to flex. This idea would either make part of the band length unable to flex, or add electronics to the flexing part.

3) How do you make such a two-piece watch band where one side isn't significantly thicker than the other (apart from padding the thickness of the non-working side for no practical reason)?

The problem would be to address the size, practicality, and stylishness issues, while keeping it in a competitive price range. For what would almost certainly be a niche market.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Goon checking in that wears a moov now on the right, and a moto 360 on the left. If I was just into a generic fitness band and my smart watch, I'd consider something integrated into a tasteful band.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Off the top of my head:

1) Look at the total volume of the working guts of a Fitbit-type device, then look at the size of a watch band.

2) Watch bands need to flex. This idea would either make part of the band length unable to flex, or add electronics to the flexing part.

3) How do you make such a two-piece watch band where one side isn't significantly thicker than the other (apart from padding the thickness of the non-working side for no practical reason)?

The problem would be to address the size, practicality, and stylishness issues, while keeping it in a competitive price range. For what would almost certainly be a niche market.

I'm not sure how you'd make it work but you would obviously need a single piece band like a nato strap rather than 2 separate bands.

It's a neat idea but as others have said wear a watch on your left and a tracker band with no screen on your right.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Off the top of my head:

https://kairoswatches.com/tbands/tband/od/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Point, but at the risk of being pedantic that's not really a watch band, it's a bracelet (from their web page it seems all but the top parts are rigid, and it's circular). It also doesn't seem to actually exist.

I suppose a "watch bracelet" could eventually happen, but I have serious doubts about the comfort, significant doubts about the functionality, and no comment on the stylishness.

I mean, I know it's easy to think "just make something that looks like a Fitbit Charge but leave out the top part", and I can see how people would like to have that, but the top part is pretty important and there's a reason it's on the top.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of watches have bracelets.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Point, but at the risk of being pedantic that's not really a watch band, it's a bracelet (from their web page it seems all but the top parts are rigid, and it's circular). It also doesn't seem to actually exist.

I suppose a "watch bracelet" could eventually happen, but I have serious doubts about the comfort, significant doubts about the functionality, and no comment on the stylishness.

I mean, I know it's easy to think "just make something that looks like a Fitbit Charge but leave out the top part", and I can see how people would like to have that, but the top part is pretty important and there's a reason it's on the top.

People have been doing stuff with watches and thick bracelets forever: https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...ch&q=cuff+watch

surc fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

"just make something that looks like a Fitbit Flex but rotate the device storage thing to the side a bit"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fossil announced two additional $275 Android Wear watches:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11233878/fossil-q-marshal-wander-android-wear-watch

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are the innards on the Fossil watches "good enough"? The one looks quite nice and is a good price.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

hooah posted:

Are the innards on the Fossil watches "good enough"? The one looks quite nice and is a good price.

You may remember me mocking the Fossil Q Founder's name earlier in the thread. In a burst of irony, I just won one at SXSW (but didn't win poo poo from the Google claw game, despite trying every day). The main difference between the Founder and most other Android Wear watches is the intel SOC, and the 1GB Ram (instead of 512M). So far, I have not noticed any real noticeable difference in the UI smoothness compared to my LG G watch. Which is to say: it's perfectly adequate. This is my first day actually wearing the watch, so I can't comment about battery life yet, but wear battery stats projects it to be about as advertised ( >= 24 hours).

I am actually quite happy with this watch so far, though I would not pay the $275 asking price. For that ballpark, the Huawei has a better screen, speaker, no flat tire, and a heartrate sensor (but not QI charging which is a huge plus for me).

It is a little large on my stick-like wrists, but in person it does not look too bad. Certainly better than the LG Urbane.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here is the first Android Wear watch with the new Snapdragon Wear 2100 chip, the Nixon Mission:

http://phandroid.com/2016/03/16/nixon-mission-surfing-watch/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HIdeous

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
It's a sports watch, all of them are varying degrees of hideous as to be very durable. It's probably a good sign that manufactures see Wear as a broad multi-use platform, unless Google is just bribing them like Microsoft with Windows Phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I kinda dig the steel one. Though it's much more rugged than my use cases.

I'm still loving my OG 360, but it's starting to get time to start looking into replacement.