Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Angry Diplomat posted:

Let food have quality stars based on the quality of ingredients, make quality food sell for significantly more than regular food.

Also, add more smithing recipes - weapons, rings, fancy furniture, whatever. Let the player forge absurdly opulent jewel-encrusted thrones and stuff to sell for a considerable amount (or just turn the farmhouse into a gilded palace).

e: might as well let players use fabric, bars, gems, and other goods to make a variety of hats, too. Make villagers wear gifted hats if they like them. Let the player fill the entire town with opulent hats. Krobus in a pretty flower bonnet. Linus in a golden crown. The wizard in a fancy cowboy hat perched on top of his existing wizard cowboy hat.

Rune factory 4 let's you do this. It's also an excellent game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

CRAYON posted:

If this game was on the Vita it would be life altering. For a portable fix should I go for Harvest Moon GBA or the Rune Factory DS games?

If you can tolerate a moderate amount of anime, Rune Factory 4 remains the greatest farming game of all time.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Angry Diplomat posted:

Let food have quality stars based on the quality of ingredients, make quality food sell for significantly more than regular food.

Also, add more smithing recipes - weapons, rings, fancy furniture, whatever. Let the player forge absurdly opulent jewel-encrusted thrones and stuff to sell for a considerable amount (or just turn the farmhouse into a gilded palace).

e: might as well let players use fabric, bars, gems, and other goods to make a variety of hats, too. Make villagers wear gifted hats if they like them. Let the player fill the entire town with opulent hats. Krobus in a pretty flower bonnet. Linus in a golden crown. The wizard in a fancy cowboy hat perched on top of his existing wizard cowboy hat.

there really is nothing as great as turning your entire town into turnip heads in RF

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cantorsdust posted:

If you can tolerate a moderate amount of anime, Rune Factory 4 remains the greatest farming game of all time.

There's nothing moderate about it. It's pretty goddamned bad. I'll take bland Harvest Moon characters over that.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Anyone know how long the seasonal Wild Seeds take to grow? The wiki doesn't have it yet, it seems.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Vulture published another good article where they interviewed CA. This part about cooking seems apt.

quote:

Barone also made a subtle yet telling design decision about the game’s cooking mechanic: Once you purchase a kitchen and recipes, Stardew Valley allows you to combine items into meals. In the simplest recipe, you turn an egg into a fried egg. But Barone specifically set things up so that selling a dish you cooked wouldn’t yield more gold than selling the individual ingredients. “I did that intentionally because it’s not fun to turn all your eggs into fried eggs,” he said. “There is value to making fried eggs — it heals more of your energy when you eat it — so there’s a point to cooking. But it’s not to make as much money as possible, because then you’ll feel like you have to turn every single ingredient into cooking, which is just more clicking.”

Interview here: http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/first-time-developer-made-stardew-valley.html

This game really was not built for min-maxing. Not that you can't or shouldn't, but that was never the intent of the game, and it definitely shows. Whether or not that is a bad thing is mostly a matter of perspective, I'd say.

edit: Article says 550,000 games sold currently. Christ.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To get the 5 gold star Parsnips for the bundle is there a better way than just planting a crapton of them and hoping you get lucky? Is there anything that makes higher quality items more common other than that scavenging perk?

EDIT: Besides fertilizer I mean

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 14, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

Vulture published another good article where they interviewed CA. This part about cooking seems apt.

While that's all well and good, it's still kinda dumb since that is the case with pretty much all of the other things you can turn crops into. poo poo like pickled/jellied crops and wine sells for boatloads more, which very much encourages you to hoard a lot of your crops to keep until you can make a bunch of kegs or preserve makers. And increased energy doesn't mean much when you can just hoard melons or ice creams or similar items, so cooking is still kind of worthless. It'd be more worthwhile if a.) you could do some limited cooking with the upgraded house, early on when cooking would be more useful, or b.) if most of the items gave tiny buffs to things.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can buy fertilizer that will last for a whole season. You can also make it by using sap. I don't remember which skill level gives you the ability to craft it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Genocyber posted:

While that's all well and good, it's still kinda dumb since that is the case with pretty much all of the other things you can turn crops into. poo poo like pickled/jellied crops and wine sells for boatloads more, which very much encourages you to hoard a lot of your crops to keep until you can make a bunch of kegs or preserve makers.

Yeah, there really is no single reason to sell un-artisined things, except perhaps in the first season or so when you just need to get some money in your bank.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Genocyber posted:

While that's all well and good, it's still kinda dumb since that is the case with pretty much all of the other things you can turn crops into. poo poo like pickled/jellied crops and wine sells for boatloads more, which very much encourages you to hoard a lot of your crops to keep until you can make a bunch of kegs or preserve makers.

Yeah, it's some serious irony when you build 200 barrels for your pure berry crop but selling a fried egg for a bit more is too gamey.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Genocyber posted:

Yeah that's pretty weird reason for cooking not being a viable money making option considering my massive stockpile of berries that are waiting for kegs and preserve jars.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Max posted:

Yeah, there really is no single reason to sell un-artisined things, except perhaps in the first season or so when you just need to get some money in your bank.

I'm lazy and spend all my time/money/materials on other things so I only have one preserves thing (which I got as a reward) and no keg yet (currently in spring year 2).

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I think the point is mostly "he didn't completely think it out because he didn't really care." (or possibly, he just overvalued the energy/health/stat boosts you get from prepared food)

As a result, anything in that realm is wildly inconsistent (including with any internal logic). I can see why it bothers people, but it's certainly not something I care about, so I can see how that'd happen.

I think the real question is whether or not he thinks it's a problem that needs to be answered. Given that he seems really aware of it, and generally seems to be open-minded, I reckon he'll do something eventually. It doesn't seem like it's his #1 priority (marriage definitely needs love, and multiplayer is still a promise he intends to keep), but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's going to dig his heels into the ground and shout "YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

While that's all well and good, it's still kinda dumb since that is the case with pretty much all of the other things you can turn crops into. poo poo like pickled/jellied crops and wine sells for boatloads more, which very much encourages you to hoard a lot of your crops to keep until you can make a bunch of kegs or preserve makers. And increased energy doesn't mean much when you can just hoard melons or ice creams or similar items, so cooking is still kind of worthless. It'd be more worthwhile if a.) you could do some limited cooking with the upgraded house, early on when cooking would be more useful, or b.) if most of the items gave tiny buffs to things.
Or at least give villagers are more distinctive variety of recipes they like/love. As it stands, cooked food in general is a generic like for everyone. No point in making a cake if they're just as happy with sashimi.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Haifisch posted:

Or at least give villagers are more distinctive variety of recipes they like/love. As it stands, cooked food in general is a generic like for everyone. No point in making a cake if they're just as happy with sashimi.

That's not really true though, most cooked food is a universally liked thing, but every villager has at least 1 cooked item in their loves list. You get nearly double the friendship points for giving them a loved item over a liked item, and on their birthday you get almost 3 hearts worth of points (640/750) for a loved item.

While its not built for the optimal min/max, the options for sperging out are certainly there.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I don't have a kitchen yet, but is cooking instantaneous, like all the other crafting? Cause it might simply be a matter of time commitment.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i made something with milk in it for kent and he had flashbacks to his days in a prison camp, so you can't just throw food at people

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hi i like this game and am at the two week mark and are there any villagers who aren't depressed in some way?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sebastian is so depressed that everyone else in his household gets away with being cheery. :v:

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Looper posted:

hi i like this game and am at the two week mark and are there any villagers who aren't depressed in some way?

Willy is more despondent than depressed. Does that count?

Also, I had a bug that made 4 or so plants survive the transition to winter. I'm not sure if they'll produce fruit or not, but it's kind of a fun goof.

My hope is that CA secretly implemented plant strains, and I'll eventually be able to grow hearty Minnesota cranberries and corn that survive well into the winter.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think cooking just isn't supposed to be a moneymaker. You can compare it with artisan goods, but the process of making artisan stuff at least has a timer on it so there is only so much of it you can do in a day, and is also limited by how many crafting stations you are willing to build.

If you could turn eggs into higher value fried eggs and such with no restrictions or "cooldown" period, then people would automatically do it because it was Optimal, and they'd be spending half an hour each day doing it, and it would gradually become an annoying chore. Whereas with brewing and pickling and stuff, the Optimal path is to toss stuff in every few days. Spacing out the steps like that is important because it encourages you to do other stuff while the brewing is going on. While it's essentially the same process as turning eggs into omelettes, it involves a lot less tedium.

(granted eggs are a bad example because honestly the mayo machine works just quickly enough that you could refine 8+ eggs a day but gently caress that and gently caress animals honestly)

You could make cooking a little more lucrative by having Gus send weekly requests for different dishes. 10 pepper poppers for a private function, or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orgophlax posted:

I don't have a kitchen yet, but is cooking instantaneous, like all the other crafting?

Yes, it's instant. You also get a fridge which is basically another chest.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Fishvilla posted:

Also, I had a bug that made 4 or so plants survive the transition to winter. I'm not sure if they'll produce fruit or not, but it's kind of a fun goof.

My hope is that CA secretly implemented plant strains, and I'll eventually be able to grow hearty Minnesota cranberries and corn that survive well into the winter.

I don't think it's a bug, some plants just take a couple days to die.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I think it's because cooking is pretty much instant. With pickling/kegs you're trading the item, the cost of keg materials, and time to get the output, which is why the value goes up. I'm not sure it's "balanced" math-wise but I can't say I care much about balance in my single-player pretend farming game.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
You could also cook stuff because you like to see what you can cook?

It's like the cookbook in Paper Mario games--there's recipes that are the best, and recipes that aren't worth the time or item investment it takes to make them, but that's not why you make them. You make those recipes because you can, they've been put in so you can do so.

Also because you want to make yourself hungry. This is not a good game to play if your tongue has an imagination and you're trying to lose weight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want a mod to create my own dishes. Or at least a mod that adds more variety to dishes so you don't have most villagers going crazy for a cut-up snail.

Adding different buffs to various dishes would also be great. +1 to stats for common ingredients, +2 for seasonal stuff, +3 for rare ingredients. We've got some of that already but add more stats to buff to add more differences than health/energy restoration and whatever different loves villagers have.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Currently in winter but I think you get the idea. Also, gonna build a few more bee houses with a garden in the middle for that sweet, sweet flower-scented honey.

Wanted to quote this just to see it again. I tried out the same layout for the bulk of my crops, and it's absolutely beautiful. Each set piece grows 48 plants, and I found room for an additional 8 separated sprinklers to the right (4 each above and below the small pond) for trellised goods.

Now if only I had enough Rarecrows to cover everything, I'd be golden.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Will crows take baby trees? Do I need a scarecrow near my apple seeds?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Crows won't hurt trees.

They'll be mean as hell to flowers, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I assume scarecrows aren't necessary inside the greenhouse, correct?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they are not

And gently caress would I love it if not putting them there would occasionally cause one of the miserable little murder rejects to splatter themselves on the glass of the greenhouse, only to pick themselves up, ruffle themselves in frustration, and caw in annoyance as you approached.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

I think it's because cooking is pretty much instant. With pickling/kegs you're trading the item, the cost of keg materials, and time to get the output, which is why the value goes up. I'm not sure it's "balanced" math-wise but I can't say I care much about balance in my single-player pretend farming game.

Pickling/Jamming is much easier than cooking though, because any fruit or veggie can be inserted and will net you a positive result. And the costs of the barrels are the same concept as paying to upgrade your house for a kitchen.

Considering cooking ingredients have to be pulled from multiple professions, you would think the challenge alone of doing so would be worth the cost.

When you need to forage, fish, and farm to cook a meal, it should be worth some godamn money. At least add a multiplier based on how many professions you had to use, especially considering Pierre's support products are 200-500 gold by themselves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of that when should I bother to upgrade my house? The kitchen doesn't seem all the useful early on.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

So when you get a dog or cat, can you press a button to pet it? This is important

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

haunted bong posted:

So when you get a dog or cat, can you press a button to pet it? This is important

Yes, but you don't get any money for doing it so it wastes a valuable mouse-click.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

haunted bong posted:

Yeah, same as all your farm animals.

Animal products may not be huge money but the heart popup when you pet your chickies and duckies is worth it. :3:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a way to edit my save file to change my dog to a cat?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Christ, I just hooked the Glacier Fish for the first time. Goddamn, now I know why everyone hates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VodeAndreas posted:

Sometimes it's the thought that counts.

(That's Starfruit wine ready for collection too)

I felt bad when I got this letter seconds after hitting the "millionaire" achievement. You just know the reason the town is so depressed in the first place is because grandpa let it's main economic engine lay fallow for who knows how many years instead of selling it to someone who would use it.

RatHat posted:

Are regular sprinklers worth it? They seem pretty awful.

I have some watering flowers for my bees. They're marginally useful, I guess. The reason I built them in the first place is because I had a bunch of the components lying around gathering dust early on. If you've got the mats the opportunity cost for building them is low, but so is their utility.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Basically I'm coming into year two and berries + artisan barrels are making the rest of the game pointless.

I'm halfway through year two and am in the same situation except I never even bothered with artisan goods on a large scale. Yeah they make you a lot of money, but it feels completely gratuitous when you can already make game-finishing amount of money with crops alone by the first fall without any minmaxing.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 14, 2016