Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Narihi, Harbringer of pretty well made swords and large shapes *shifty eyes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

Or y'know, her title, where she's the harbinger. That generally implies that she's bringing something else.

That... is a good point haha. I just kinda read "Nahiri" and ignored the rest of the name. Either way, if that is the case then it's a neat way of showing that taking place within the mechanics of the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Or y'know, her title, where she's the harbinger. That generally implies that something else is also coming along.

Her -8 is definitely an ability a harbinger would have.

She's going to drop an artifact enchantment on Innistrad: The loving Moon

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So Nahiri is the Silver Surfer to Emrakul's Galactus?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Unironically into this

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Or y'know, her title, where she's the harbinger. That generally implies that something else is also coming along.

Her -8 is definitely an ability a harbinger would have.

Harbringer*

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure how janky this is... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to play it. The power is there.

Do you really think this presents better value than Goblin Dark-Dwellers though? It basically goes out of its way to not let you abuse Madness with it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

We already know it is - the map thing they showed with the countdown a week or two ago had the same thing with Nahiri herself blowing it up.

I like how the description is a subdued " the manor is darker, more twisted than it should be" instead of the more apt "everything is blown the gently caress apart!"

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Entropic posted:

that was my first thought as well.

Gonna be so disappointed when it turns out it was really a giant Toad the whole time! A vanilla mythic one!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

that was my first thought as well.

Gonna be so disappointed when it turns out it was really a giant Toad the whole time! A vanilla mythic one!

Why would that disappoint you?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nahiri's -8 could be a reference to her bringing Emrakul to Innistrad, which makes sense since that was already the main theory.

This was how I envisioned the Eldrazi finding new planes to begin with. Either dumbshit or vengeful planeswalkers summoning them to other planes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My guess is Narihi obviously blew up Markov manner, but isn't the one who hosed with Avacyn's head.

Narihi "Left Eye' Lopes

Angry Grimace posted:

Do you really think this presents better value than Goblin Dark-Dwellers though? It basically goes out of its way to not let you abuse Madness with it.

I think it's for a different kind of deck than one that wants GDD.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Here let me clarify Nahiri's text:

Nahiri, Harbinger of Emrakul 2RW
Planeswalker - Nahiri
+2: Shuffle Emrakul from your hand into your deck. Draw a card.
-2: Annihilate target enchantment, tapped artifact, or tapped creature.
-8: Sneak Attack an Emrakul from your library. Put it back into your hand at end of turn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lets Pickle posted:

Here let me clarify Nahiri's text:

Nahiri, Harbinger of Emrakul 2RW
Planeswalker - Nahiri
+2: Shuffle Emrakul from your hand into your deck. Draw a card.
-2: Annihilate target enchantment, tapped artifact, or tapped creature.
-8: Sneak Attack an Emrakul from your library. Put it back into your hand at end of turn.

Who knows how good that is in modern but it's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. The bar for a modern playable walker is VERY high.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mcmagic posted:

Who knows how good that is in modern but it's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. The bar for a modern playable walker is VERY high.

Being sincere and curious, if it 2RG instead of RW, would it be Tron Playable for filtering, removal & sneaking out an Emrakul or Beastie?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OfChristandMen posted:

Being sincere and curious, if it 2RG instead of RW, would it be Tron Playable for filtering, removal & sneaking out an Emrakul or Beastie?

No. Tron isn't interested in casting 4 CMC cards at all. If you have 2RG in your Tron game and you can't cast a Ulamog or a Karn you're in big trouble.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Planeswalkers have a tendency for wearing the same clothes millennia on end, huh?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why do you always says everything is not playable without having seen the entire set?

is mcmagic the pissflaps of this thread?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Narihi "Left Eye' Lopes

Why do you think a 5 mana guy that doesn't give you value if you don't untap with it and doesn't protect itself is playable in the slightest?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Why do you think a 5 mana guy that doesn't give you value if you don't untap with it and doesn't protect itself is playable in the slightest?

i'd say "because we don't know a majority of the cards in the set yet" BUT we already had instant speed (almost) vindicate spoiled so actually yeah, it's not gonna be played

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

Planeswalkers have a tendency for wearing the same clothes millennia on end, huh?
I imagine a huge hedron just filled with 80s clothes.

it's also rigged to play Tiffany when anyone enters.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just noticed that nahiri is wearing at least 3 belts

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

is mcmagic the pissflaps of this thread?

Cards can be good and never see play... I never said otherwise. The rest of the set is important for context but you can still have a general idea if a card is good enough to pass that bar or not.

Elyv posted:

It's clearly not going to be a staple but I could see it having some fringe play. It's effect is very powerful especially with Madness...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Nahiri is so known for wearing that outfit that the descendants of her disciples on Zendikar still wear it to emulate her

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Korgo Kult

also it's too bad they don't often show planeswalkers dressing up in local attire because lady nahiri of the markov manor would look pretty ill

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Nahiri is so known for wearing that outfit that the descendants of her disciples on Zendikar still wear it to emulate her

That was such an unnecessary bit of retroactive lore futzing.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet.

Seems pretty cool for a werewolf deck or something. The face-side of Leonin Scimitar isn't great but they actually haven't made one for a while.

e: plus it makes me imagine a sweet transformation sequence

Seems good with the vampire that turns into mist. Clock you for 3 with a hexproof indestructible unblockable with an option to make it 7 if it's safe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Korgo Kult

also it's too bad they don't often show planeswalkers dressing up in local attire because lady nahiri of the markov manor would look pretty ill

First time I saw the Nahiri artwork in the BFZ artbook, I thought she was trying out a darker/local look. But it's just the lightning.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nahiri ult in Modern is for Blightsteel Colossus you goons!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

I liked it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Narihi "Left Eye' Lopes

Sure, called a "draft deck."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

I said that like 3 pages ago...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rabidsquid posted:

Emrakul is better because Blightsteel Colossus doesn't win if the opponent has 2 toughness worth of blockers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

I said that like 3 pages ago...

It will be a long time before it's worth reading every post in this thread.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, called a "draft deck."

One of as a curve topper in a RB madness deck? Probably not but it's worth playtesting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chamale posted:

Emrakul is better because Blightsteel Colossus doesn't win if the opponent has 2 toughness worth of blockers.

Emrakul is a loser

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chamale posted:

We're obviously playing 20 proliferate spells.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Contagion Engine loving rules

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked it.

I like to think SFM was straight up Nahiri, without concerning myself with the lore implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

In what way is it retroactive?

Rinkles posted:

I like to think SFM was straight up Nahiri, without concerning myself with the lore implications.

So it's retroactive apropos your headcanon?

• Locked thread