Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Wasabi the J posted:

Holy poo poo Djibouti is a loving trip. Civvies authorized, days off, nine to fives, a pool and two beers a night. Can't wait for my unit to gently caress that all up for us.

Also my neighbours are dogs, and there's butts to peep everywhere.

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Do you know whats better than Djibouti ??????????? not being in the army!!!!!!!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Do you know whats better than Djibouti ??????????? not being in the army!!!!!!!!!

also not being a lying ponyfucker

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

what

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

what

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

what

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
:iamafag:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm just confused now

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Sloppy joe MRE farts inside a steel tube.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wasabi is a brony is I think what he was trying to say.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

What's the deployment timeline over there, 12 months or are you guys pulling 6-10 months?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I think it's a 3-month 40 hour workweek and if they go over hours they are emergency airlifted to that DoD-owned resort in Germany for a 96 hour pass.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

I think it's a 3-month 40 hour workweek and if they go over hours they are emergency airlifted to that DoD-owned resort in Germany for a 96 hour pass.

Man, Edelweiss is the poo poo. If there's one thing I miss about the Army, it was being able to go to Edelweiss and ski in the Alps for super cheap while I was in Italy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Being an S6 is kind of gay sometimes.

"What do you mean we can't run CPOF, phones, and email for the entire brigade TOC over a VSAT?!"

"You're right. Let me go ahead and change physics for you."

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

dudes my whole first squad basically in the army all died and I missed it becuase I had an epilectic seizure and got turned into a pog and I've been living with guilt over being sub human ever since plz help

Hey man I don’t know where you’re at in terms of your issues and I hope you (and everyone else) is doing well with them but this is straight Survivor’s Guilt stuff, and with work this kind of thing can really have the edge taken off it if you find a therapist you click with. Anecdotal on my part without a doubt, but good things can happen.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

iKon posted:

Hey man I don’t know where you’re at in terms of your issues and I hope you (and everyone else) is doing well with them but this is straight Survivor’s Guilt stuff, and with work this kind of thing can really have the edge taken off it if you find a therapist you click with. Anecdotal on my part without a doubt, but good things can happen.

:smith: thanks man, its one in a million of my issues that I was working on before I stopped going to see therapists and take my medication lol. I was really drunk when I posted that though so it was a moment of a weakness. I'm a lot better now though some days it feel like i regress pretty hard.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
The work is hard, it's really loving hard and it takes a long time, but 30 years from now I want to be some rad old dude telling gnarly stories to horrified youth and laughing it about it rather than being some borderline homeless alcoholic guy or some other disturbed vet stereotype. I dunno, I feel like a lot of us here had a rough time with deployment or things related to it because that was war and war is horrific, and we should be able to be honest about how awful it was.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I went t the edelweiss for free all the time to do radio shows there. poo poo was legit

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Company did a gas mask+ IOTV run today, tried to rope me in even though I turned my gear in for ETS. Just went to sick call and got a no running/no ruck because of a slightly ingrown toenail. gently caress you I am on the way out I can see the light.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'm not proud of my past bullshit but when the gently caress did I ever lie?

MurderBot posted:

What's the deployment timeline over there, 12 months or are you guys pulling 6-10 months?

9 months. There are dudes going out into the Horn of Africa, but they are few; sadly they shut down our sweetest gig ever in Seychelles. You reported to one officer and got flat rate per Diem at Seychelles rates, and stayed in the town with the "natives" which meant you normally got an apartment facing the marina instead of the beaches.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

psydude posted:

"What do you mean we can't run CPOF, phones, and email for the entire brigade TOC over a VSAT?!"

I'm dealing with this exact same situation right now. It's frustrating.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

I'm dealing with this exact same situation right now. It's frustrating.

Imagine teaching this to foreign militaries.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

iKon posted:

The work is hard, it's really loving hard and it takes a long time, but 30 years from now I want to be some rad old dude telling gnarly stories to horrified youth and laughing it about it rather than being some borderline homeless alcoholic guy or some other disturbed vet stereotype. I dunno, I feel like a lot of us here had a rough time with deployment or things related to it because that was war and war is horrific, and we should be able to be honest about how awful it was.

I was playing it cool after I got out in 2012 until this old green beret dude who got shot in the chest in Vietnam sat me down one day for lunch. He didn't say a damned thing to me about me or what I was up to. He didn't have to. He just told me what happened when he got out, after a nasty battle where he not only patched up his CO (dude was a medic) but then got shot himself and sent home. He went into finance and spent 20 years ruining his marriage, quitting job after job because he could never handle his lovely bosses and didn't trust anyone, made shitloads of money and lost it, repeat over and over again. Then finally in the 90s he went to a reunion and saw that more than a few of his buddies had died or killed themselves. And dude himself was starting to notice effects of Agent Orange in his kids with their developmental delays.

Dude was like "that's when I finally decided to go to the VA, for my body, for my mental health, for anything. I waited almost 30 years, ruined a marriage, ruined friendships, rebuilt and re-ruined my career repeatedly, before I ever talked to a doctor or therapist."

And I just looked at him and said, "I don't want to wait 30 years. And my friends are already killing themselves. I guess I should go to the VA."

Old vets are the most valuable resource there is.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

Old vets are the most valuable resource there is.

I'm not out yet, but I joined the VFW and the American Legion. It's nice to have a private club (freaking key code reader to even come in the door) where you can just hang out with veterans from several different wars (and generations).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm not proud of my past bullshit but when the gently caress did I ever lie?

9 months. There are dudes going out into the Horn of Africa, but they are few; sadly they shut down our sweetest gig ever in Seychelles. You reported to one officer and got flat rate per Diem at Seychelles rates, and stayed in the town with the "natives" which meant you normally got an apartment facing the marina instead of the beaches.

That sounds sick as hell. I'd love to do that.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I hate flipping between day shift and night shift...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

That sounds sick as hell. I'd love to do that.
Yeah I don't remember who had that Bahamas AFN gig in GIP but our Seychelles beat was even more chill than that.

Aside from being hot as balls (it gets really bad) and the air literally tried to kill me my first week here, it's pretty good in the rear. I've done my time on tiny cops, eating D rations and showering in a tent or bucket. I'm liking this poo poo for once.

Even the loving sick call folks are cool. They actually made a DIAGNOSIS with a real treatment plan and follow-ups and adjustments to my medication. Shits unreal.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Like VSAT ever actually works.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

lol@CPOF

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man putting "of the future" in your army hardware is going to look really stupid in retrospect during their replacement finally being fielded in 2044

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

man putting "of the future" in your army hardware is going to look really stupid in retrospect during their replacement finally being fielded in 2044

Only 30-40 years? Look at Mr. Fancypants here wanting the newest gear around, geez.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SumYungGui posted:

Only 30-40 years? Look at Mr. Fancypants here wanting the newest gear around, geez.

the first replacement will be a huge piece of poo poo and/or fielded to such a small unit of units, leading to the CPOF continuing to be the future of command posts until 2078

sorry I missed some of the copy paste from the future

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

In retrospect? poo poo's already outdated by at least 15 years. I don't even recall having used it over deployment, because of using a network that wasn't SIPR for the "coalition" (Centrix or whatever it's called). The future already showed up and left us, but then again it's the army so that's pretty much assumed across everything.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

In retrospect? poo poo's already outdated by at least 15 years. I don't even recall having used it over deployment, because of using a network that wasn't SIPR for the "coalition" (Centrix or whatever it's called). The future already showed up and left us, but then again it's the army so that's pretty much assumed across everything.

imagine how much MORE retarded it will sound in another 15 years man. I agree its already dumb. It was dumb when that name left the design pages with some stupid feel good name. Probably named that by the Fort loving Gordon Radio School of Excellence" but everyone will refer it to RisCOE.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

imagine how much MORE retarded it will sound in another 15 years man. I agree its already dumb. It was dumb when that name left the design pages with some stupid feel good name. Probably named that by the Fort loving Gordon Radio School of Excellence" but everyone will refer it to RisCOE.

Actually now I'm imagining the Futurama guy that says "Welcome to the world of tomorrow!! to everyone who wakes up from cryo-sleep, as Fry and Bender are drinking beer and laughing at him. That entire scene just feels right for how I look at people that are still in though ( :lol: at you if you're still in)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I guess it's funny that we keep trying to modernize our infantry forces with CPOF and Future Warrior systems and all this hot garbage when at the end of the day, the first-world conflicts where those gadgets might matter are going to be won with nukes and stealth jets. And the third-world poo poo counterinsurgency conflicts will yield negligible benefits to tech gadget wizardry.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Leaked image of CPOFBF2000-2

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Like VSAT ever actually works.

Your O4 kinsmen were also angry that we couldn't run FM over salt water beyond 4-6 miles, so I got to give a lecture on scattering and refraction.

Agenta Khaulan
Oct 12, 2014

psydude posted:

Your O4 kinsmen were also angry that we couldn't run FM over salt water beyond 4-6 miles, so I got to give a lecture on scattering and refraction.

Tell us about the blank stares you get once they don't get anything you said...

also anyone know what a "GOMAR" is? Know someone that got one and for the life of me I have no clue what the gently caress it is. I have had tons of write ups company and other wise but have no clue what that is so it must be the worst thing on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand. It can either be a scare tactic (when it's filed locally) or career ending. The former is typically used whenever a junior officer fucks up pretty badly, but not enough to get anyone hurt (losing a sensitive item or something like that). The latter is more commonly used against field grade officers and senior NCOs.

• Locked thread