Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
That's what seasoning should look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

As tasty as it looks, it seems a little too dry to be a risotto. It seems to be halfway down the line to a pilaf.

Her camera doesnt capture moisture.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
roasted an eggplant

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

good electric posted:

roasted an eggplant

Wow that looks wonderfully steaky. I wonder if I can use those Chinese flavors I did and make this in a vegetarian form.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

good electric posted:

roasted an eggplant

That looks unbelievably tasty. And I don't typically care for eggplant. :psyduck:

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Eggplant is amazing. Maangchi has a really tasty simple recipe if you like Korean flavors: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gaji-namul

My dinner picture was terrible but delicious:

Original recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/asparagus-and-ramp-soup-with-yogurt-recipe.html

I read through the comments and saw several complaints about the resulting soup being fibrous, so I went pretty aggressive on my trimming and ended up trimming off about 55% of the stalk length. I didn't want that to go to waste, so I chopped that up into 3 or 4 pieces per stalk and put it in a pressure cooker with the chicken stock for about half an hour to infuse some asparagus flavor.

I also just sauteed the tender stems and heads instead of blanching them, and deglazed the pan with some white wine which I poured into the food processor, which worked about as well as a blender would have. It wasn't a totally smooth soup, and I didn't strain it, however all the solid bits were very tender and non-fibrous.

The next time I make it, I may add a bit of acid ... either white vinegar or lemon juice.

(edit) - No ramps here, so I subbed green onions.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The tricky thing with acid and green soups is that it turns them brown.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good god I want that eggplant, but I think I'm allergic to it because my mouth gets all prickly and I produce excess mucosa. But hey, yummy looking!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Are you allergic to tomatoes too?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Drink and Fight posted:

Risotto night. Unf.

Nice sear on those scallops.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sweat poteto posted:

Are you allergic to tomatoes too?

Not a fan of raw ones, usually, but I can eat them without prickles. So it's either a really subtle nightshade thing, or eggplants just... Do something weird with my throat?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I get the same thing actually if they're not fully cooked. Some varieties seem to do it more than others.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Crossposted from the Chinese Cooking thread:

Deliciousness

Background Music:

I didn't want to do Chinese classical music even though it can be very pretty, because that would've just been way too much. Instead I went with the French electroswing group, Caravan Palace. With the volume down low it was very nice and stimulating without being too energetic.

Give it a listen.

An astonishing feast, and some excellent taste in music! Seeing the Xiao Long Bao reminded me of my trip to Taiwan last year where I tried those for the first time. Life-changing.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ayem posted:

An astonishing feast, and some excellent taste in music! Seeing the Xiao Long Bao reminded me of my trip to Taiwan last year where I tried those for the first time. Life-changing.

I might just do a xiao long bao tutorial thread sometime. :)

AOakley
Dec 18, 2015

ShadowCatboy posted:

Crossposted from the Chinese Cooking thread:

Background Music:

I didn't want to do Chinese classical music even though it can be very pretty, because that would've just been way too much. Instead I went with the French electroswing group, Caravan Palace. With the volume down low it was very nice and stimulating without being too energetic.

Give it a listen.

As a fan of Parov Stelar this is right up my alley and my new favorite song. Thank you!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sean Brock of Husk has a cookbook out, Heritage. He has a recipe for his loving amazing cheeseburg in it.

Here's my attempt. Did a rough grind of chuck with a bit of flank and a tiny bit of bacon mixed in, 3 oz patties cooked on a flat top in rendered beef fat smashed style, shaved onion under the cheese, Brock's burg sauce on top and bottom of a potato roll. Wedges were parboiled in vinegared and salted water, dried off, dusted with seasoned cornstarch and wok fried.

So drat good. I think I got it like 95% as good as the restaurant's.

Edit:

In comparison, here's the burg from Husk.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That's a fine looking burg man

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Sean Brock of Husk has a cookbook out, Heritage. He has a recipe for his loving amazing cheeseburg in it.

Here's my attempt. Did a rough grind of chuck with a bit of flank and a tiny bit of bacon mixed in, 3 oz patties cooked on a flat top in rendered beef fat smashed style, shaved onion under the cheese, Brock's burg sauce on top and bottom of a potato roll. Wedges were parboiled in vinegared and salted water, dried off, dusted with seasoned cornstarch and wok fried.

So drat good. I think I got it like 95% as good as the restaurant's.

Edit:

In comparison, here's the burg from Husk.

I never liked mixing bacon into the grind on my beef, you miss out on the texture and have to cook the hell out of your beef.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ColHannibal posted:

I never liked mixing bacon into the grind on my beef, you miss out on the texture and have to cook the hell out of your beef.

I wouldn't know, but I think if you crisp up the bacon beforehand it should solve that problem.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

It's probably because you're doing it wrong. ;)

This was like 2 ounces bacon for 3 pounds of beef. It's to get a bit of that smokiness like from charcoal grilling while getting the even crust from cooking on the flat top. Also, by nature the smashed technique kinda cooks "the hell" out of beef anyway and is still super delicious.

It's not like the dumb burgers you see online that use large enough amounts you'd call it a bacon patty or something. I didn't even know there was bacon in the patty until I looked up his recipe later on in Heritage. I just assumed he was cooking it next to a wood fire or something subtle. The little but of bacon in the grind really does male that difference though.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 7, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

Do it! I imagine it involves using gelatinised broth or something? I love those things!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Last night:

Tofu, egg, peanut stir fry with brown rice noodles

------

Tonight:

Mixed vegetable lasagna with whole wheat noodles, ricotta and red wine tomato sauce.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Made some pancakes and filled them with some whipped quark, roasted nuts, and some frozen berry and cherry mix.
Drizzled some honey on top, it was pretty good!

eine dose socken fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 10, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Trying to be a bit healthier so had some panfried/ovenbaked chicken with beetroot quinoa with roasted sunflower seeds and rocket. For someone who doesn't normally eat quinoa or beetroot (except when burgin') it was really good :D.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
First heard of mapo tofu on this forum, so one day I made some. It was alright. Took me at least half a year before I made it again, really nice. Anyway, it seems like the more you eat it, the better it gets. Addicting stuff..

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nice looking beans

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks, that's also something I first heard of on this forum! ....it's ridiculous how sweet beans can get when you prepare them this way.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

eine dose socken posted:

Made some pancakes and filled them with some whipped quark, roasted nuts, and some frozen berry and cherry mix.
Drizzled some honey on top, it was pretty good!

Looks drat good. I've never even heard of quark before.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Oh man, you'd have me reading that for sure!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

http://zserbo.com/soups/the-great-tale-tellers-favorite-soup/

this came out really good. I made a lot more than what the recipe called for, so I will probably add some beans tomorrow. Otherwise it was really good. I kept it pretty close to the recipe, but I made a full on stock with the smoked pork knuckle, and added a little white pepper and caraway seed, and some green pepper

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Apologies in advance for crap pictures.

I made 80% hydration baguette from The Weekend Bakery again. I love this poo poo. I burned the bottom a little because the rack was too low, and my shaping blows, but the bread itself came out pretty great. Could have used a little more salt.

Also delicious and super simple Greek salad that I've been making for years, I love the poo poo out of this too. I usually use just cucumber, tomato and red onion but I've been adding spinach lately by roommate request. This is also really delicious with clementine segments. Vinaigrette is just red wine vinegar and olive oil, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Kalamata olives, of course.

Finally I made a massive batch of mac and cheese (penne, whatever) with a roux base for the first time in years, was extremely simple and delicious. Sauteed lots of butter and onions, added garlic powder, salt and pepper, some crushed chillis, three tbsps white flour, sauteed a little more until the flour was browned a bit, slowly added about a litre of whole milk, a quantity of two year aged Canadian cheddar (maybe 150g? 200g?), half a small tin of tomato paste, about 200g of bruschetta, and finished with oregano. Super easy to throw together with random ingredients from around the house and roommates strongly approved.

Doom Rooster posted:

Well, I finally did it. I have made the best pizza that I have ever tasted.

I've been cooking pizza twice a week for the last 12 weeks or so, doing tons of side by side taste tests for each main ingredient, trying different dough hydrations, rise times and temperatures, etc... While much more practice is needed to consistently kick out the same level of quality, I am very happy with results.

This pizza was:

3 day cold rise dough
Carmelina San Marzano tomatoes (salted and passed through a food mill)
Pecorino Romano grated finely
Fresh Mozzarella
Sprinkle of Ning Chi Super Hot chili oil
Hot Calabrese Salami

I'm a little emotional lately but this literally brought tears to my eyes. That pepperoni salami. I can taste it.

good electric posted:

roasted an eggplant

Also oh my loving god this looks good. I love eggplant. I love this.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

that all looks awesome. I actually just did a similar salad - cucumber, tomato, red onion, mint, feta, pear vinegar, and a few olives with some nicely done chicken. Just a really nice, light flavor for warmer weather.

That bread looks fan-loving-tastic

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
pizza feature from work - garlic and olive oil base, goat cheese, chicken, house made "pastrami" bacon, roasted veg, and arugula dressed with a lemon vinaigrette

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ad Hoc stroganoff with red wine braised short rib and homemade tagliatelle

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Halibut and roasted sprouts+carrots

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did some corned beef sous vide last weekend, for leftovers I made a corned beef grilled cheese. It was amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Skirt steak dropped to £7/kg. i let it rest for a really long time but it still leaked a lot of juice. is that down to the quality of the steak?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chinese style sponge cakes; heavy on the egg, feels and tastes like air, yum. Didn't fold quite well enough but I'll do better next time.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
"poo poo I had in the fridge" breakfast taco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
why would you keep poo poo in your fridge?

• Locked thread