Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

i like the combat :shrug:

There was nothing really wrong with the combat, it was just fairly dull when you compare it to other games in the genre. There weren't really any special abilities you can use, or many different tactics. Typically, you just sat in cover and plinked away at the enemy until they died, maybe moving a bit to do some healing or trying to get your melee guy in place to do something before they got shot to bits again.

The director's cut helped a lot by fixing most of the weapon balance issues and adding called shots and perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Raw_Beef posted:

Oh hey look another guy who didnt spend the thousand to become a part of the game agrees the game isnt fun. wowieee

Hm, yes my significant 15 dollar contribution :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I can totally see why you wouldn't like it but I genuinely prefer the combat in this to other recent CRPG releases

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

There was nothing really wrong with the combat, it was just fairly dull when you compare it to other games in the genre. There weren't really any special abilities you can use, or many different tactics. Typically, you just sat in cover and plinked away at the enemy until they died, maybe moving a bit to do some healing or trying to get your melee guy in place to do something before they got shot to bits again.

The director's cut helped a lot by fixing most of the weapon balance issues and adding called shots and perks.

I really liked the friendly fire and how the angle at which you were aiming at enemies in cover affected accuracy. The latter was in Xcom; but, not by default.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I did not back the game, but I did think the combat was lackluster in the original game, and just OK in the enhanced edition.

That said, it is still a good party focused tactical RPG game and I enjoyed it very much.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I feel like I'm a weird one for vastly preferring Ag Center to Highpool. I haven't played the Director's Cut version yet either, I should probably get around to that someday. Maybe after I'm done with XCom 2.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

AG3 posted:

I feel like I'm a weird one for vastly preferring Ag Center to Highpool. I haven't played the Director's Cut version yet either, I should probably get around to that someday. Maybe after I'm done with XCom 2.

I think Ag Center is pretty cool aside from the final boss who I needed to reload for on the higher difficulties

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

I think Ag Center is pretty cool aside from the final boss who I needed to reload for on the higher difficulties

I loved him. Especially since the set up was so obvious that it was going to be a big slog.

I also really wanted that weapon.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

rocketrobot posted:

I loved him. Especially since the set up was so obvious that it was going to be a big slog.

I also really wanted that weapon.

Right, but I ended up save scumming cause I had characters getting crit to death, not really an issue on the regular difficulty though.

Possibly avoidable by better character builds too, heh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

Right, but I ended up save scumming cause I had characters getting crit to death, not really an issue on the regular difficulty though.

Possibly avoidable by better character builds too, heh.

Or heading north to the radio tower first.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Iron Crowned posted:

Or heading north to the radio tower first.
Or going all-in and heading to Rail Nomads first.

Some of those fights are insane but if you have a handful of explosives you can handle it, and neither Highpool nor Agricultural Center should be a problem at that point.

AG3 posted:

I think on my second playthrough I will definitely do things that way, though again going through Rail Nomads first because I am pathologically averse to completing games in the expected order if possible

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Eh, it was the only fight in the game I had any problem with so nbd

Thinking of reinstalling and doing a pure melee build for fun but I might end up missing guns too much

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Some of those fights are insane but if you have a handful of explosives you can handle it, and neither Highpool nor Agricultural Center should be a problem at that point.

No you guys who are saying the game has unfair difficulty and random party deaths are playing it wrong you see because

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Raw_Beef posted:

No you guys who are saying the game has unfair difficulty and random party deaths are playing it wrong you see because

They were not random the guys were getting shot at

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Explosives can have some side effects to missions where you're supposed to repair the thing that's being guarded though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think Ag Center could have been a great place had it come a bit later in the game. High-level combat in RPGs often suffers from the fact that the encounter difficulty doesn't sufficiently scale with the power of your characters, so a single fight usually doesn't pose much of a threat anymore. An area that is essentially just a stream of encounters which constantly drain your resources and force you to conserve ammunition and health packs as long as possible could have been an interesting way to mitigate this problem. And it is a really atmospheric place, especially considering how much effort the developers put into the area descriptions.

However, by the time you reach Ag Center, you're still trying to figure out the combat mechanics and the complex skill system. You likely didn't bring along many resources because money is sparse and the tutorial mission gave the impression that areas in this game will be relatively small. On top of that, the main NPC in the area constantly berates you while you're trying to help. Combine all of these factors, and it's easy to see why many first-time players find it such an unappealing experience.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think Ag Center could have been a great place had it come a bit later in the game. High-level combat in RPGs often suffers from the fact that the encounter difficulty doesn't sufficiently scale with the power of your characters, so a single fight usually doesn't pose much of a threat anymore. An area that is essentially just a stream of encounters which constantly drain your resources and force you to conserve ammunition and health packs as long as possible could have been an interesting way to mitigate this problem. And it is a really atmospheric place, especially considering how much effort the developers put into the area descriptions.

However, by the time you reach Ag Center, you're still trying to figure out the combat mechanics and the complex skill system. You likely didn't bring along many resources because money is sparse and the tutorial mission gave the impression that areas in this game will be relatively small. On top of that, the main NPC in the area constantly berates you while you're trying to help. Combine all of these factors, and it's easy to see why many first-time players find it such an unappealing experience.

Compare to Highpool and everyone is vaguely okay with you because you just shot the gently caress out of 20 raiders but they also remember that your organization is kinda dickish. Highpool is flat out a better written 1st major quest. Ag Center is a better 'oh god we didn't get here in time' mission.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

buttcoinbrony posted:

Compare to Highpool and everyone is vaguely okay with you because you just shot the gently caress out of 20 raiders but they also remember that your organization is kinda dickish. Highpool is flat out a better written 1st major quest. Ag Center is a better 'oh god we didn't get here in time' mission.

My major complaint about the Ag Center "failure" mission is that it's way to easy too gently caress yourself over, especially on a first playthrough and you don't know what's going on. The exploding pods and pod people infecting you were too much of a slow TPK element and I never found the canister Rose was carrying, so I could never cure myself once exposed. The pod infection gameplay works only if you tackle Ag Center instead of Highpool, since you can get treatment later from Rose. Part of me thinks that they really should have had that whole segment play out like a Resident Evil game, where the player doesn't have to worry about turning into a zombie.

Not that I don't like the first part of the Highpool quest, because mowing down raiders is a lot more entertaining than shooting pod zombies and blowflies. Also, you get precious, precious ammo, weapon parts, and upgrades to your arsenal.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Young Freud posted:

My major complaint about the Ag Center "failure" mission is that it's way to easy too gently caress yourself over, especially on a first playthrough and you don't know what's going on. The exploding pods and pod people infecting you were too much of a slow TPK element and I never found the canister Rose was carrying, so I could never cure myself once exposed. The pod infection gameplay works only if you tackle Ag Center instead of Highpool, since you can get treatment later from Rose. Part of me thinks that they really should have had that whole segment play out like a Resident Evil game, where the player doesn't have to worry about turning into a zombie.

Not that I don't like the first part of the Highpool quest, because mowing down raiders is a lot more entertaining than shooting pod zombies and blowflies. Also, you get precious, precious ammo, weapon parts, and upgrades to your arsenal.

There are still 10 doses of the cure on the failure version, but I guess in theory you could be hosed long-term if you use them all up, especially for the sidequests after where there are still pod-people.

In another sense though, you're a loving Desert Ranger and the wastes aren't kind. I always viewed the player's squad as "that one squad that got lucky as gently caress" particularly because there are so many things that can destroy you without planning that just wouldn't really happen thematically (case in point the pod people).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
played the poo poo out of the original for this and now I've decided to dig into the DC

modding is still just as annoying as I remember too

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I really enjoyed the zany giant plants and gruesome deaths of the researchers. It was like a 50's sci-fi gone horribly wrong. Hit the tone a lot better than the Fallout series ever did. It would have been perfect if it was just a little shorter. But then, so would Rail Nomads and Canyon of Titan. Wouldn't this game have been a lot better if there was less walking around and trash mobs?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wouldn't this game have been a lot better if there was less walking around and trash mobs?
Yeah the amount of nonsense filler is what guaranteed I’m probably never going to play it again. 60 hour game with 30 hours of fun and 30 hours of trash mobs, lockpicking animations and walking backwards and forwards across maps. I just don’t have the time anymore.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just don’t have the time anymore.

There's some irony to be found in these classic games being Kickstarted by adults who no longer have the time to play them.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Let me go on and on about all the things I enthusiastically have planned to do in the immediate future. We have to make it quick though, before: (the kids come home / I pass out on the couch).

Did I also mention I am restoring a bunch of broken poo poo I own or bought at a flea market? e: And I estimate it will only take a week or so.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's some irony to be found in these classic games being Kickstarted by adults who no longer have the time to play them.
:(

This happened to me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eh it’s less that I don’t have time to play them as that I can no longer tune out of how much time some games waste on stuff that just isn’t fun and seems there to pad the hours out. Most older RPGs aren’t that long if you know what you’re doing, Wasteland 1 is sub 20 hours with judicious use of DOSBox macros for resting and skills.

I guess what I mean is that Wasteland 2 could have been a lot shorter, snappier and richer in content without losing much – I never really got the sense of epic scope and adventure that some ludicrously-long RPGs can give you, just a recurring feeling that I was milling around wasting my time. I never noticed how annoying the lengthy lockpicking/safecracking/walking sessions were until I installed the mod that speeds them up and was like “holy poo poo, the game is much faster now without losing anything whatsoever”. Unfortunately there’s no similar way to speed up the functional-but-not-amazing combat that often drags out far too long against boring mobs – this could well have been improved (either the speed, the encounter design or just the combat itself) in the Director’s Cut though. I think I have more tolerance for long combat than most because I almost never got bored with Original Sin’s, even in the late game slog.

I appreciate that’s an entirely subjective feeling though, and it certainly isn’t something that would’ve occurred to me when I was younger and had all the time in the world, so maybe you’re right!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I hope they improve upon what they've got and modernize some aspects with W3 if that ever comes, instead of trying to stay all old school.

I think an XCom-like with Ranger missions would be pretty cool too.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Upmarket Mango posted:

I hope they improve upon what they've got and modernize some aspects with W3 if that ever comes, instead of trying to stay all old school.

That would be pretty rad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Upmarket Mango posted:

Oh, definitely random calls to nearby settlements forcing you to make choices :3:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

I want to see them borrow aggressively from JA2's strategic layer.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I forgot how funny Vulture's Cry's dialogue gets in Happy Valley if she isn't doing the Noble Savage routine

"Is there no end to the happiness in Happy Valley?"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dibujante posted:

I want to see them borrow aggressively from JA2's strategic layer.

Borrowing from their tactical layer would be also a good idea!

Norad
Dec 11, 2012

memento mori, comrade
is there still an active playerbase for this game

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Norad posted:

I don't really know what that even means for a single player game. I do know that I haven't felt any particular urge to replay it since finishing it, though I'd certainly give a sequel or an expansion a look.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I still play although, I only play when I get a chance to. I have not sat down and poured 16 hours into it in one sitting. I will also probably play again once I complete it because, I feel I missed a lot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I rage quit at the last battle when two vital ncps were taken from me with no foreshadowing. Loved it up till then.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

serves you right for conspiring with robots

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Eh it’s less that I don’t have time to play them as that I can no longer tune out of how much time some games waste on stuff that just isn’t fun and seems there to pad the hours out. Most older RPGs aren’t that long if you know what you’re doing, Wasteland 1 is sub 20 hours with judicious use of DOSBox macros for resting and skills.

I guess what I mean is that Wasteland 2 could have been a lot shorter, snappier and richer in content without losing much – I never really got the sense of epic scope and adventure that some ludicrously-long RPGs can give you, just a recurring feeling that I was milling around wasting my time. I never noticed how annoying the lengthy lockpicking/safecracking/walking sessions were until I installed the mod that speeds them up and was like “holy poo poo, the game is much faster now without losing anything whatsoever”. Unfortunately there’s no similar way to speed up the functional-but-not-amazing combat that often drags out far too long against boring mobs – this could well have been improved (either the speed, the encounter design or just the combat itself) in the Director’s Cut though. I think I have more tolerance for long combat than most because I almost never got bored with Original Sin’s, even in the late game slog.

I appreciate that’s an entirely subjective feeling though, and it certainly isn’t something that would’ve occurred to me when I was younger and had all the time in the world, so maybe you’re right!

Yeah this is what i meant when i said it was a bad, boring game. So much of the time spent "playing" this game is not actually used to do anything fun.

Tbh I am a jaded adult who finds it hard to take pleasure in anything anymore, so I guess this game isnt *that* bad If i was a kid on summer break or something.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Norad posted:

I'm on the edge of playing it again, I just have a bunch of other games to play as well...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I backed the initial kickstarter for this and have only just got around to giving it a proper playthrough. After about 2 hours play time I was already king of Arizona in terms of my kit. But LA is quite the difficulty spike, eh? I could probably use another useful follower. I tried taking Chisel out of retirement to level him up into something useful after hitting LA and a synth obliterated him in one shot. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Leyburn posted:

I backed the initial kickstarter for this and have only just got around to giving it a proper playthrough. After about 2 hours play time I was already king of Arizona in terms of my kit. But LA is quite the difficulty spike, eh? I could probably use another useful follower. I tried taking Chisel out of retirement to level him up into something useful after hitting LA and a synth obliterated him in one shot. Whoops.

Yeah the problem I had initially with LA is that synths have ridiculously high initiative. You have to fight them a little at the start of LA and then you can go do other stuff for a while.

• Locked thread