Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

eh, a lot of times he looks like he would rather not be there. this has been especially true lately now that the white (and black and latino) blood cells are actively rejecting him turning his rallies into "listen to trump rant about communist agents sent by bernie to destroy me"

He genuinely looked freaked out when the guy jumped the fence. He's doing the exact same comedy schtick to the exact same people (essentially) multiple times in a day. It's entirely possible that he's getting tired of this all, but his narcissism is so great that it might fuel him until November. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Totalizator posted:

See, here's the deal: African children dying to make your t-shirt don't affect you, but the orange man on tv saying mean words about illegal Mexican immigrants does. You don't want to throw a small-handed toupeed wrench in the gears of the machine to see what happens, because doing so will interrupt your 24/7 non stop complaining-about-racists-on-the-internet marathon. I am currently playing the world's smallest violin for your concerns.

:yikes:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Does Trump literally own Christie's soul somehow? Is he a Soultaker?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Christie skipped a state troopers funeral to be there...

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
fuckin goons complaining about racism, i am SO MAD ABOUT PEOPLE SAYING IM RACIST

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

weird but true facts: Chris Christie is Trump's bitch in a way that Jeb never was.

So true. In spite of everything that happened Jeb never submitted to him and is still doing everything in his power to stop him even out of the race.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Venom Snake posted:

eh, a lot of times he looks like he would rather not be there. this has been especially true lately now that the white (and black and latino) blood cells are actively rejecting him turning his rallies into "listen to trump rant about communist agents sent by bernie to destroy me"

god forbid a guy who has been living comfortable his natural life get uncomfortable and tired~

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if your natural charisma is so low that your biggest problem is that people don't like you after you say offensive poo poo, I just pity you

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

Christie skipped a state troopers funeral to be there...

Holy poo poo. I really want to know what happened to make him so utterly owned by Trump. What did Trump promise in return?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

if your natural charisma is so low that your biggest problem is that people don't like you after you say offensive poo poo, I just pity you

Am I racist? no no it must be the kids that are racist!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

In those cases, nobody is enjoying it

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

As they crossed the George Washington bridge, he thought I have come this way before. it was a dangerous thought, and he regretted it at once. "No, that was some other man, that was before you knew your name." His name was Reek. He had to remember that. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with leek.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nichael posted:

Holy poo poo. I really want to know what happened to make him so utterly owned by Trump. What did Trump promise in return?

when trump becomes presidentEmperor, he will divvy up America

Christie will help coordinate the eastern seaboard

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Bernie Chicago rally trip report: there are two pro-Trump protesters wearing "keep calm and thank a police officer" shirts. No shouting or Hitler salutes yet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, delegates are really pretty clearly bound by rule 16 of the RNC:

Ofc, the convention could always repeal rule 16? Probably?

State parties set the rules binding delegates, not the RNC. Which makes it even less likely to happen.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stutes posted:

Bernie Chicago rally trip report: there are two pro-Trump protesters wearing "keep calm and thank a police officer" shirts. No shouting or Hitler salutes yet.

:munch:

keep me updated

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mdemone posted:

State parties set the rules binding delegates, not the RNC. Which makes it even less likely to happen.

My reading of it is the RNC gives the states the authority to bind delegates. If they repeal rule 16, who's going to stop delegates from voting how they want?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

mdemone posted:

yeah i was wondering about this, it would make sense to me if the national convention didn't have the power to re-write the rules by which the states assigned the delegates they sent, but did have the power to get rid of rule 40 if trump's the only candidate who meets it and they've got the delegates to gently caress him

(i feel like ratfucking is specific to nixon/mccaskill-style 'dirty tricks' to mess with candidates in an election, and maybe there isn't a modern word for convention shenanigans. but im being pedantic and i dont care tbh)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wow this dude really does live in a fantasy world

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/709537654933753856

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm still laughing at Kasich getting shut out of votes in Wyoming

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

imagine if they nominated kasich at the convention, he ran on an 'i'm a reasonable moderate' platform and did well enough to have beaten hillary if it weren't for the right wing of the republican party deserting him, then the base and major party actors take it as proof for ted cruz' old argument of 'we're not going to win until we get more conservative' and they give up on moderation for another election cycle or three

i guess you could substitute rubio for kasich in there. i guess

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Does Trump literally own Christie's soul somehow? Is he a Soultaker?

Watching it now and he has said like ten words. I don't even know why Trump agreed to that format. What does Christie do for Trump in NC? Also, Trump said that the best thing is to talk through the protesters but it's all the people saying "There they are!" and he can't talk through that. Haha "Shut up, supporters!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what would the Republican Party stand to gain by stopping Trump at this point? he's proved that the party doesn't have the clinton/bush era solidarity anymore, and although they hate him because he's not a True Conservative and is also clearly an Athiest, he's decided that he's the nominee now and he would be far more dangerous as a loose cannon if he doesn't get the nom

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cruz problems with "kill the gays" speaker keeps getting worse

Kill Girl Scout Leaders

quote:

Swanson, who has spent years calling for a boycott of Girl Scouts cookies and accusing the organization of promoting communism and turning girls into lesbians, said that Girl Scouts leaders have violated Jesus’ teaching that it would be better for someone to have a millstone hung around their neck and thrown into the sea rather than cause a child to sin.

This instruction, Swanson said, should be applied literally. After criticizing the Girl Scouts because it “promotes lesbianism” and movies like “Harry Potter” and “How To Train Your Dragon” for featuring “homosexual mentors provided to little boys” — a criticism he detailed at the rally with Cruz — Swanson said that people must put into effect Jesus’ teaching against debasing children with such “movies that promote homosexuality or organizations that promote homosexuality.”

"You’ve got to take what He says and you have to apply it,” Swanson said.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/cruz-aligned-pastor-execute-girl-scout-leaders-promoting-homosexuality

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Al! posted:

what would the Republican Party stand to gain by stopping Trump at this point? he's proved that the party doesn't have the clinton/bush era solidarity anymore, and although they hate him because he's not a True Conservative and is also clearly an Athiest, he's decided that he's the nominee now and he would be far more dangerous as a loose cannon if he doesn't get the nom

60+% of people polled believe that trump's racist views reflect only his personal beliefs, not the beliefs of the Republican Party. If he becomes the nom and the party lines up behind him that number's gonna drop, especially if trumpists start winning primaries. that's a path to long term electoral unviability, since florida's Puerto Rican population is exploding every year and it's nearly impossible for republicans to get into the WH without Florida (OTOH they need OH, MI, WI, VA, PA, and NH).

that's the upside to avoiding a trump nom, though the downsides are pretty severe and I can see them just giving it to him even if he's short at the RNC

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Swanson is a bad person. A bad person that deserves bad things. Bad things. Bad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

If Trump is the face of the party then it destroys any chance they have of electability in a presidential race. Feels great.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

whenever Cruz has a minor gaffe like this I feel like it is my duty to remind people that Cruz has a huge glaring problem, which is that people can't look directly at him for very long without being completely repulsed by him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If only you get to throw it in his face

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Somewhere in Ted Cruz's house is a high school yearbook that no one signed.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
So regardless of what happens in November, what does everyone think of the prediction that "Trump Republicans" become a real thing and we see people running for congress under this label in 2018?

I think if he gets the nomination there will be at least a few in the South. I think there will be more if Hillary wins than if Trump wins.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Ok here goes guys i'll lay it all out

Hitler was a cool dude and Trump is a cool dude. I don't worry about the tiny things like how he might become very fascist cuz I'm a white guy who needs not worry about being profiled/deported/w/e the current worry is, AND I'm wish-washy/cowardly enough to just agree with whoever is in charge.

If only i could be a brave and stalwart fellow like that Majorian fellow, or that Al! person.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

sharkbomb posted:

Well, if you think about it, he would be much much wealthier if he had just put his money into an index fund and let it build.

I know you're joking but I looked this up a while back and it's a pretty misleading statement. This article sums it up well but the main points are:

- this myth relies on timing the market by assuming that Trump, after already becoming fairly wealthy, sells all of his businesses and invests right before the highest growth period of the market (an impossible feat except in hindsight)
- it also assumes that Trump would have no expenses over the entire period since it compounds all returns
- in reality, even with his opulent lifestyle, Trump slightly outperformed the s&p over his life time if we take the starting point as his initial inheritance, using the market estimation of his current net worth at 2.9b (not using Trump's own estimation of 10b+)
- putting all your money in an index fund is also very risky since, again, it's impossible to time the market without hindsight

So he's most likely an extremely business savvy person.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/709547482615816192

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Somewhere in Ted Cruz's house is a high school yearbook that no one signed.

Just one?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

mother of god... Rubio's gone full "emo-scene from Spiderman 3"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
GOPocalypse now

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Doing some research for voting in NC tomorrow, I noticed that The Indy Weekly, the left-leaning local newspaper, endorsed Donald Trump for the Republican nomination. I was only confused for a second.

quote:

Donald Trump Is Exactly the Candidate the GOP Deserves
God help us all

Donald J. Trump is not the most qualified Republican candidate for president (that would be John Kasich). Nor is he the most electable (Marco Rubio), the most ideologically pure (Ted Cruz), or the sanest bet to have his finger on the nuclear trigger (Kasich). He's not even the most loathsome (Cruz again).

But he is the candidate the GOP deserves. And if the rest of us elect him in November, well, he'll be the president we deserve, too.

Over the last year, Trump—a racist, misogynistic, conspiracy-loving fabulist who spent years flogging the tinfoil-hat "where's the birth certificate?" nonsense—has fashioned himself into a manifestation of the aggrieved-white-conservative id. He's played overtly to bigotry and atavistic fear of The Other, whether that other is African-American, a Mexican immigrant, or a Muslim refugee. He is a clown leading a circus of belligerence and authoritarianism.

And that makes Trump a perfect match for the modern Republican Party.

For almost a decade now, the GOP has stoked this fire of anger and racially tinged resentment in an effort to win votes. Think Sarah Palin accusing Barack Obama of "pallin' around with terrorists" or a U.S. congressman shouting "you lie!" during a State of the Union address. Think Trump's birther movement or Obamacare "death panels" or the Benghazi conspiracy theories or the rise of the tea party, all abetted by Republican elites. Most of all, think about shameless obstructionism and the campaigns to delegitimize the president as Muslim or somehow not fully American.

Lee Atwater would have been proud.

This strategy worked. Republicans took back the House in 2010 and the Senate in 2014 and have claimed a large majority of governorships and state legislatures.

But it also paved the way for Trump, a Frankenstein's monster of Republicans' own creation. Even though party leaders fear (probably rightly) that he'll be eviscerated in November—and even though they know he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Oval Office—they can't seem to do anything to stop him.

In the words of Senator Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, his party has gone "batshit crazy."

Put another way: they've sown the wind. Now it's time to reap the whirlwind
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/your-participation-is-mandatory-the-indys-2016-primary-endorsements/Content?oid=4998377&storyPage=3

:unsmigghh:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

I watched a turtle crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Oh god please someone tell me someone got at least a cellphone shot of Christie's face when he said that.

• Locked thread