Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hear they drive around them in the wrong direction, too :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

You mean a traffic circle?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hear they drive around them in the wrong direction, too :tinfoil:

This is a thing that happens here now that the city has gone and decided to replace every lit intersection on a 12km stretch of main thoroughfare to roundabouts. There are now 10 of them and nobody has any idea what the gently caress they're doing. I've seen it 4 or 5 times now and it just makes my jaw drop.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

VERTiG0 posted:

This is a thing that happens here now that the city has gone and decided to replace every lit intersection on a 12km stretch of main thoroughfare to roundabouts. There are now 10 of them and nobody has any idea what the gently caress they're doing. I've seen it 4 or 5 times now and it just makes my jaw drop.

We (:911:) have a strange mix of people who either 1) Come to a complete stop at the entrance to any and all roundabouts (when there are no other vehicles within a block of said roundabouts), or 2) who fail to recognize that the 'yield' sign is being serious, and that you should probably yield to whatever is already going around said roundabout.

I've driven in both NZ and the UK, and the difference in people's ability to handle roundabouts is confounding.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Please people, it's called a rotonde. Get your facts straight!

I have to say, I pretty much never have problems with other people in traffic. Are you guys sure it's the other people?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

KARMA! posted:

I have to say, I pretty much never have problems with other people in traffic. Are you guys sure it's the other people?

Haha, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KARMA! posted:

In the last 2 days, 4 people have approached a stop sign after I stopped and waited for traffic. These people apparently think since oncoming traffic is going and I'm waiting for them, it's time for them to go. Without fail they start go as I'm entering the intersection and have to stop for them.

Yes, I'd say it's other people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You mean a traffic circle?

You mean four-way stop sign?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Growing up there were 3 major traffic circles within 10 miles, and every single one had the major highway with right-of-way straight through the entire circle.

One is now a light, one is now a "normal" circle, where traffic on the circle has right-of-way, one is still crazygonuts.

34 just plows on through, people from Allaire Rd & in the circle itself just have to stop.

It's just as fun as you'd imagine during the summer when flooded with out-of-towners going "down the shore."

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, right. There's nothing confusing to them, you give way to the right (or left I guess if you're American?). We have one not far from me that's 4 lanes. Still not hard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Americans have no idea what the gently caress to do when they're driving normally, let alone when you throw in something like a roundabout.

My favorite is when they replace intersections with them to "improve traffic flow", decide the giant loop of concrete is ugly, and then plant 6 foot shrubs around it so no one can see into it.

There's a roundabout near some friends of my family and my favorite thing is looking for fresh signs of hosed oil pans because they fail to notice the 4 inch curb that's a slightly different shade of cement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh cool roundabout-chat. Time to just drop this into the mix:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm the stoned rabbit strumming my guitar under a tree

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh cool roundabout-chat. Time to just drop this into the mix:

At least it saves on electricity bills?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I like roundabouts the way massachusetts does them. No lights, yield to traffic in roundabout, no problem.

Downtown DC, on the other hand, has the worst roundabouts I've experienced in my entire life. The light timing is unconscionable - when your roundabout light turns green, the next one 100 feet down will be turning red. Some of the streets that join the roundabout never get a green light - just a blinking yellow, so good loving luck getting in during anything even remotely approaching normal traffic. None of the lanes tell you where they're gonna end up, and most of them have some civil war confederate shithead statue in the middle so you can't see across. When people realize they're in the wrong lane they just fuckin fly across three others, missing a horrible pileup by a oval office hair. There's even a pedestrian crossing, perpendicular to roadway traffic, that is active when that roadway's light is green. Good job DC :downsbravo:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While I agree that the traffic circles in DC are a mess, none of the statues at any of them are confederate.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Woops, confused it with the appotomax in alexandria.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Almost got clobbered this weekend... Coming through an off-ramp onto a 4-lane divided highway, there were 2 cars in the left lane, and the right lane was clear. As I merged into the right lane, I looked forward, then check behind again, and saw the second car in the left lane decide to pass the first car - yep, on the right, moving diagonally right into my position. Missed the fucker by thatmuch.

If I'd merged in slower, they would have been in front of me by the time I got in the right lane, with nobody behind, but I made a dangerous assumption that the driver of the second car wasn't a loving tardmo.

Patience, Daniel-san.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nearly rear-ended an audi/dropped the bike just now. Managed to not quite do either, but uuuugghhh

I call this farce Cyclists! :argh: or, This Is Why You Take A Lane Blocking Position, a play in 1 act

Coming up to a tiny roundabout, one lane split into "two" stupidly narrow lanes. I'm in the left and queueing to go straight over, cyclist coming up behind. There are exactly zero inches between the side of the car in front and the curb, but he's queuing up with us anyway.

I wasn't far over enough to make him not even think about squeezing past me, so he keeps inching up every time we move. I get tunnel vision looking in my mirror/over my shoulder because I don't want to hit the cyclist, see the audi go forward in the corner of my eye, and proceed to nearly launch into the back of it because I just want to be away from this lycra-clad buttlord already, and I somehow didn't clock that of course the car would be stopping almost immediately.

Couldn't tell if I actually hit the car, but my front wheel went left and the bike went right. Managed to wrestle it up without getting off, rode off a bit red faced.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I was rolling 70 down the interstate today and a hawk flew up from the median right in front of me. Ducked down behind the windshield and braced for impact but he JUST cleared the windshield. Smacked it with his wing as he went over. From 6 inches, it appeared to be the largest hawk on the face of the god drat earth.

Car behind me gave me a "holy poo poo" look and a thumbs up when they went by as I slowed to regather myself. Wish I had video of it but drat glad I didn't smack him. Not sure I would have stayed upright.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had this same situation at night with a bat in the mountains a couple days ago. In my case, the bat hit my helmet at 60mph. :(

I'm glad you survived your brush with moto-avian activities. I've had massive vultures come within inches of my helmet before, and it's an awesome/startling experience.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I came a foot or so away from taking a turkey to the face at 50 mph a few years back. Felt the wind from it as it passed my shoulder. Fukken birds man.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I've killed like three birds alone with my shoulder :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

astrollinthepork posted:

I've killed like three birds alone with my shoulder :(

Swan dive into the chick pen isn't how you're supposed to do the petting zoo, buddy.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I came a foot or so away from taking a turkey to the face at 50 mph a few years back. Felt the wind from it as it passed my shoulder. Fukken birds man.

I feel like that would easily kill a man

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I kneed a noisy minor in the face at 100~ mid corner the other day. Felt this soft whack on my knee armour and looked back as I straightened up to see a puff of feathers in the air behind me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

I kneed a noisy minor in the face at 100~ mid corner the other day.
You're a monster, who kicks children in the head just because they're being too loud? Bikers are the worst people.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You're a monster, who kicks children in the head just because they're being too loud? Bikers are the worst people.

:golfclap:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
:eng101: Mynah.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I was coming down out if the local mountain twisties after dark, on a night there was a meteor shower. Hairiest ride of my life - every turnout was full of cars jockeying for viewing position, long lines of cars looking for parking with their brights on (loving up everyone's stargazing) and fools straight standing in the road looking up.

The closest call I had in that 45 minutes was a huge loving owl who passed about three feet in front of me. I bet he would have knocked me off. It was in a spooky tree - tunnel too.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Had a huge lifted pickup truck pull out from a gas station in front of me. They pull out and just loving stop completely sideways in my lane. Since the dumb truck was so long it took up my entire lane, the shoulder and one oncoming lane so there was no were for me to go. I panic braked, locked my rear up and fishtailed a couple times before coming to a stop sideways 2ft from the truck. Then he makes the widest right turn in history going across 2 oncoming lanes.

I like to pretend it looked like this:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Balanced the friction zone against the front instead of rear brake.

Caught the front just starting to slide.

Don't do that, kids.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Space Whale posted:

Don't do that, kids.

What?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dragged the front brake instead of the rear while letting the clutch out a bit for low speed manouevres, I think?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Dragged the front brake instead of the rear while letting the clutch out a bit for low speed manouevres, I think?

Yes.

Do not do this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Space Whale posted:

Don't do that, kids.

You can put that right up there next to my favorite bit of dumb advice to offer learned from personal experience: don't try dragging knee on a U-turn.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

You can put that right up there next to my favorite bit of dumb advice to offer learned from personal experience: don't try dragging knee on a U-turn.

Duh.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_YzYwe_DU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I do this on dirt on purpose to practice braking and balance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Is it weird that I really want my second bike to be a trials bike?
Edit
Second in my stable, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Is it weird that I really want my second bike to be a trials bike?
Edit
Second in my stable, that is.

No, but where will you ride it? Do you have a back yard or a truck to take it somewhere to ride? They're almost never street legal.

• Locked thread