Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Or you can, I dunno, not throw away a $50 game you enjoy and just keep playing Lords of Waterdeep? Heck, if you really enjoy the game, maybe invest in the expansion to get even more? Obviously the goofballs who post in this forum are made of money if they think the correct response to "I like this game!" should be "Throw it out!" :rolleyes:

If you're enjoying the game you have, don't let the hivemind bully you into not playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
youre being pretty fuckin disingenuous if you think people literally want the guy to throw out something he bought. sometimes when people have conversations with friends and peers they use slang and talk loosely or hyperbolic to inject humor into the dialogue

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think only one person even posted that, yeah. That kinda came out of nowhere.

Seriously grab Codenames though. Also I second whoever brought up Resistance. Those two games are both really really good, and you can get pretty much any type of person who is ever willing to play a board game to try those and enjoy them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PBS Newshour posted:

i think only one person even posted that, yeah. That kinda came out of nowhere.

Seriously grab Codenames though. Also I second whoever brought up Resistance. Those two games are both really really good, and you can get pretty much any type of person who is ever willing to play a board game to try those and enjoy them.

I would also add Telestrations to the mix if you're looking for something a little more party-gamey. Not on the same level of Codenames or Resistance but I've been at places where people that were turned off by the competitive aspects of the latter two opened up completely by end with everyone laughing at how hosed up everyone's messages got. Again, liquor goes a long way there too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Waterdeep expansion: Scoundrels of Skullport is very good and adds a lot to the base game (and the monster theme is rad).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

The best co-op game is actually Mage Knight (shame on you, Rutibex)

Mage Knight is great, but I don't know if I would call it a great "co-op" game. Mage Knight is just Mage Knight, if you are playing co-op or PvP its basically the same game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

Or you can, I dunno, not throw away a $50 game you enjoy and just keep playing Lords of Waterdeep? Heck, if you really enjoy the game, maybe invest in the expansion to get even more? Obviously the goofballs who post in this forum are made of money if they think the correct response to "I like this game!" should be "Throw it out!" :rolleyes:

If you're enjoying the game you have, don't let the hivemind bully you into not playing it.

I only said "throw it in the trash" because that is exactly what I did. I started off with Lords of Waterdeep, but once I found Agricola I never ever wanted to play Waterdeep again. If someone had slapped my hand in the store and told me to get Agricola first I would have saved myself $50. It's not like Agricola is a more complex game either, it has a family mode that is just as easily to pick up as Lords of Waterdeep, but (unlike waterdeep) the rabbit holes doesn't end there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some loving dick just outbid me on a copy of Glory to Rome with 2 seconds left. Are there any print and play options since this game is in limbo?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Some loving dick just outbid me on a copy of Glory to Rome with 2 seconds left. Are there any print and play options since this game is in limbo?
:ninja:
Little known fact, if you rename Vassal modules from .vmod to .rar you can extract all of the image files contained within.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Rutibex posted:

I only said "throw it in the trash" because that is exactly what I did. I started off with Lords of Waterdeep, but once I found Agricola I never ever wanted to play Waterdeep again. If someone had slapped my hand in the store and told me to get Agricola first I would have saved myself $50. It's not like Agricola is a more complex game either, it has a family mode that is just as easily to pick up as Lords of Waterdeep, but (unlike waterdeep) the rabbit holes doesn't end there

Then again, Agricola isn't themed around a setting from the best tabletop role-playing game of all time. By best I mean most popular, which is the same thing :colbert:

Also Robinson Crusoe is the closest thing to a worker-placement coop game and would be pretty good if it didn't have the messiest ruleset this side of Arkham Horror. Pandemic is my favorite coop game in the realm of Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert/Operation Flashpoint style of game. Mage Knight is a great coop game that has the benefit of being okay multiplayer and the downside of being a monster to learn initially. Archipelago could be thought of as a semi-cooperative worker-placement game but haha no it's ruthless.

If you like having the most pieces on the table and (quite literally) random encounters, Arkham Horror looks really cool on the table (even if it doesn't particularly hold out to be a good game). Eldritch Horror streamlines Arkham but that kind of loses the point of what is pretty much the only great thing about Arkham (having a bunch of cool looking Lovecraft pieces on a table).

Also did we mention Space Alert yet? Play Space Alert. It's good. It's way better with 4 and 5, but it gets a lot of love for good reason.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Trynant posted:

If you like having the most pieces on the table and (quite literally) random encounters, Arkham Horror looks really cool on the table (even if it doesn't particularly hold out to be a good game). Eldritch Horror streamlines Arkham but that kind of loses the point of what is pretty much the only great thing about Arkham (having a bunch of cool looking Lovecraft pieces on a table).

I don't understand what you mean. Arkham Horror doesn't come with minis, and the minis you can get for it would work equally well with Eldritch Horror, so...?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
If you do happen to get the Waterdeep expansion box, there is a Beholder lord in there that gets you points based on how many skulls you have. Throw that card out.

There's also an intrigue card where you have to reveal your lord but it makes you invulnerable to all attack cards. Throw that out, too.

Everything else in the expansion is good times and I recommend it, but, as others have said, you'll eventually outgrow it and want some deeper stuff. Viticulture is a fine game in the same vein and I would consider it a safe purchase. Agricola is also a good game, but try it before you buy it, since the theme is kinda boring, the cards can screw you from the start (unless you draft), and it's a bit punishing to new players.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:ninja:
Little known fact, if you rename Vassal modules from .vmod to .rar you can extract all of the image files contained within.

The only one on the site is in Russian?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Hahaha brilliant. People poo poo on jng2058 for not getting the obvious hyperbole, then Rutibex steps back in to say it wasn't. Never change, 'bex, never change.

Anyway, I'm going to recommend Mice & Mystics as well. It's a really fun co-op and it hits the same thematic notes as LoW. Complexity-wise it's not too big a step up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

Saying "Well, they can play Baby's First Worker Placement Game, they're ready for Mage Knight!" is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in this thread, and I don't have Rutibex on ignore. It's a game that literally needs a three hour series of tutorial videos to learn. it sure as hell can't be learned from the two loving awful rulebooks.

Sure it can

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I mostly learned Mage Knight from the walkthrough book, and it is in my #2 or #3 favourite game, but I still can't recommend it to a random request for co-op games. Learning it at the same time as other people sounds like an awful experience - the walkthrough book says for somebody to learn it a bit first, I honestly think somebody should solo it first.

Seconding the recommendation for Hanabi for an excellent unusual co-op, and Viticulture for a similar feeling to Waterdeep with stronger theme. Waterdeep's expansion is great too.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
What's the thread consensus on a good two player game for me to pick up and play with my wife? She's not a huge gamer but something that's a simple euro style game would be great

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

oxsnard posted:

What's the thread consensus on a good two player game for me to pick up and play with my wife? She's not a huge gamer but something that's a simple euro style game would be great

I'm a big fan of Patchwork.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get Bit keeps coming back to the table as a time/space filler while we wait for a full party. :cry:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

oxsnard posted:

One thread-approved suggestion that I especially like is Jaipur. It's is two-player-only simple set collection economic game about being the best, richest trader and impressing the Maharaja. The main reasons someone might not like it are that it's moderately luck-based, and it has a slightly above average set-up time for such a simple game.

If you want to learn the rules and see how it plays, visit our friends at Watch it Played! on YouTube.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

oxsnard posted:

Haven't played it, but often seen Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small recommended.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jaipur and Patchwork. 7 Wonders Duel and Agricola All Creatures for something a little more "gamey".

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This is probably the most responsive thread I've ever seen in SA. Thanks y'all!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

oxsnard posted:

I am dragging my wife down into the hobby with me as I get deeper in it, and she loves Ticket to Ride and Dominion. We've also had a great time with Castles of Burgundy. All those games are great with 2, and also good with higher player counts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SynthOrange posted:

Get Bit keeps coming back to the table as a time/space filler while we wait for a full party. :cry:

I mean get bit isn't awful, but it tends to play best roughly once, and with a bunch of people, not several times with very few people waiting for a giant group for who knows what.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Holy poo poo that was a lot of recommendations, I didn't expect to come back to all those after work. This thread is super responsive. My group is like, 3-5 people and I'll run some of these by them. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wanted to play Mage Knight tonight, but I just got a shipment of sleeves in so I spent my evening sleeving Historia, Warhamer Quest ACG, and Mage Knight.

Now it's too late to play Mage Knight :cry:

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I agree with some of the posters that while Mage Knight is a great game, if you aren't prepared for the very big commitment (time and brain power) then don't bother. We've only got it to the table one time in the couple years we've owned it because of those issues. Plus it's a game I can never make myself bring to my board game groups due to the time and difficulty.

My wife and I own a ton of co-op games and frankly enjoyed most of them, even the ones the thread loves to hate. If I were to pick our favorites, slightly altering it to fit the thread's mindset, I'd say: Robinson Crusoe, Pandemic, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and Legendary: Encounters.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Anyone played Spirits of the Rice Paddy and have an opinion on it? Seems kind of neat and a little different.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The Golden Ages is surprisingly good for a Civ-lite with a map. We did a game tonight 3p that included teaching, took only like 2.5-3 hours, could easily see it going down to 2 on another play. Abstracts a lot to get away with the short time frame obviously, but still manages to have that 4x feel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay uhm, how do I say 'Hey, it's great, you're a very nice person, we love the same games, but you're the most AP prone person I know whenever we play a game and GODDAMNIT HURRY UP AND MOVE ALREADY so we can finish this game then never play together again?' but in a nice way?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think there is one. Just start bringing hourglasses or chess clocks with you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Force him to play Galaxy Trucker until he adapts.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

Force him to play Galaxy Trucker until he adapts.

If you do that, be sure to follow the training game rules exactly. The first round is not timed, but the booklet says that if a player takes too long you're allowed to hit them in the head with the box* until they finish.

*I have the Anniversary Edition :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Possible house rule: once the hourglass is turned, start slowly filling the room with lava.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

If you do that, be sure to follow the training game rules exactly. The first round is not timed, but the booklet says that if a player takes too long you're allowed to hit them in the head with the box* until they finish.

*I have the Anniversary Edition :getin:

Oh man now I have to do this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

Possible house rule: once the hourglass is turned, start slowly filling the room with lava.

You make the guilty part sit on the comfy chair and poke them with the soft cushions.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

theroachman posted:

Hahaha brilliant. People poo poo on jng2058 for not getting the obvious hyperbole, then Rutibex steps back in to say it wasn't. Never change, 'bex, never change.

Anyway, I'm going to recommend Mice & Mystics as well. It's a really fun co-op and it hits the same thematic notes as LoW. Complexity-wise it's not too big a step up.

I knew of what I spoke. :colbert:

One bit of advice I'll give a Lords player in regards to the expansion. Don't play with both expansions at the same time. That gives you too many board options and breaks the action economy. Play with one or the other and you'll have more satisfying games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SynthOrange posted:

I haven't played Get Bit, but me and mine have enjoyed another member of the "Get Bit Trilogy" called Walk The Plank. It's a movement programming game where you are trying to have the one of the last pirates that hasn't gone overboard. It is silly and random, but it holds much of the appeal of programming games in a very simple package.

I played the third game in that series, Hold Your Breath! once, and felt it was bad and overlong. Even though I haven't played Deep Sea Adventure, it looks to be an implementation of a similar same idea except there is more control of one's own risk and the randomness is dice and not drawing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Arkwright preorders are live, yo: http://www.capstone-games.com/?mc_cid=939f250e5b&mc_eid=dd6017636c

e: $65 shipped too, not bad at all.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 15, 2016