Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

Everyone has choices, you say. You make a virtue of the conscious choices you make and seek to minimize the ones you didn't have to make. Those choices you imply are ones you'd get right every time if you had to, but you never had to; such a self-serving argument and one that locks you out of understanding. Your lack of empathy becomes your worldview and you don't understand its irony. When this is pointed out you roll out the self-pity mat and declaim how individual you are. It doesn't fool anyone: we can see your self-interest and that isn't actually the problem, it's the excuses you make for it. Learning to empathise and recognise what privilege is, is work. It might be easier for some than others, but it's still a learning process, and you're not going to start by yelling CHOICES. And this is why that thinking gets short shrift here.

Choice is a bullshit word. And now its being used to say I don't have to share with people I don't like, and we get that, it's understandable. But it's not a choice to be shut out by you. And when it's you x several million, do you see how it's still not a choice? You wave your hand and say "environment" but you can't figure out what the difference is between that and your universal truth. You claim "racist by default", well that's what privilege is. Default is the loving operative word, son. You try and turn it into having a different point of view, sorry it's not. It's just lazy privilege, that's all your choice is.

Am I racist? No, but I benefit from racism and privilege and being a white male, and I have no problem recognising that and empathising with those who do not share my privilege instead of sneering and using choices as an excuse to shut them out. See, that's a choice I made. I don't accept it as involuntary. I grew up in some very racist, homophobic and misogynist environments, I had a lot of work to do myself.

TL;DR your choice is to be an arsehole. You're choosing to decide that it's too much work/too much money to bring people into the same world you live in, and somehow your view is validated because it's not shared around here? What a choice.
Honestly, do you just need a hug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Courier Mail.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

You're pathetic

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm really sorry for you then. I made an effort, I even consulted others opinion because I felt I might be going too far, but your response indicates you're a waste of my time. So be it.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Everyone has choices, you say. You make a virtue of the conscious choices you make and seek to minimize the ones you didn't have to make. Those choices you imply are ones you'd get right every time if you had to, but you never had to; such a self-serving argument and one that locks you out of understanding. Your lack of empathy becomes your worldview and you don't understand its irony. When this is pointed out you roll out the self-pity mat and declaim how individual you are. It doesn't fool anyone: we can see your self-interest and that isn't actually the problem, it's the excuses you make for it. Learning to empathise and recognise what privilege is, is work. It might be easier for some than others, but it's still a learning process, and you're not going to start by yelling CHOICES. And this is why that thinking gets short shrift here.

Choice is a bullshit word. And now its being used to say I don't have to share with people I don't like, and we get that, it's understandable. But it's not a choice to be shut out by you. And when it's you x several million, do you see how it's still not a choice? You wave your hand and say "environment" but you can't figure out what the difference is between that and your universal truth. You claim "racist by default", well that's what privilege is. Default is the loving operative word, son. You try and turn it into having a different point of view, sorry it's not. It's just lazy privilege, that's all your choice is.

Am I racist? No, but I benefit from racism and privilege and being a white male, and I have no problem recognising that and empathising with those who do not share my privilege instead of sneering and using choices as an excuse to shut them out. See, that's a choice I made. I don't accept it as involuntary. I grew up in some very racist, homophobic and misogynist environments, I had a lot of work to do myself.

TL;DR your choice is to be an arsehole. You're choosing to decide that it's too much work/too much money to bring people into the same world you live in, and somehow your view is validated because it's not shared around here? What a choice.

Thanks for this! I'm keep keeping it for when someone needs a smackdown

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Frogmanv2 posted:

Funnily enough, no, the answer is not to do nothing. The answer is to ask the people who live there what will work, and give them some agency back in the decision making process that massively effects them.

This is not a popular idea, because it will probably involve the effected groups coming out and saying "what you have been doing isnt working. Stop doing it. You were wrong." and politicians dont like being told they were wrong.

Yes, the answer is obviously not to do nothing and I can't disagree with what you've said. You're assuming though that you can engage enough people to do this or you are just abstracting the problem to a different level to people who aren't really accountable.

In this case the Government is using a blunt instrument to (in their view) minimize harm. Is the alternative to kick down every door in Ceduna to intervene?

Is what they are doing purely to 'keep people down' as frequently gets trotted out here?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

I'm really sorry for you then. I made an effort, I even consulted others opinion because I felt I might be going too far, but your response indicates you're a waste of my time. So be it.

I'm not pissed or dismissive because you made an effort.

I'm pissed because people don't even read what I post.

I try and try to engage with people in good faith (conceding I haven't always) but all I get is hostility in return.

It is what it is I guess.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
You run into an arsehole throughout your day, and you probably just ran into an arsehole. If you find people are constantly being arseholes or hostile towards you, chances are that you are the arsehole, and people merely reflect the negativity put in front of them.

But whatever, humans are terrified of looking inward to solve their problems or answer their questions.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

This was a great post but I disagree with this section. I think you, like everyone is racist. I think we all make small or large judgements based on race, it's a very flawed and yet very human thing to do. The choice we make is to internally challenge those judgements, to take the decision to ask ourselves "Is this a fair response" and not to throw out our knee jerk reaction assuming that it is correct.

Everyone is racist, to claim that anyone isn't racist is to deny the existence of racism by claiming it is possible to be "not racist". It says being racist is a choice, when in fact being racist is your default reaction and not being racist is a choice, it allows people to leave their own reactions unchallenged because it's possible that they aren't racist. If everyone came into every situation with the assumption that "I'm going to make internal judgements based on race because I'm at least a bit racist" then there would be a lot less expressed racism in the world.

Craig, don't take offence if someone calls you or your opinions racist. It's not some great shut down of debate, it's pointing out that we all make those judgements and that we need to be vigilant that our internal racist monologue is challenged by rational thought. Accepting our racism is part of working towards being less racist.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is what they are doing purely to 'keep people down' as frequently gets trotted out here?

My grandfather keeps repeating that the only thing we need to do to fix Australia is stop sending all our money overseas (in aid programs) and to make only two punishments for crimes, 20 years in prison, or the death penalty. No psychological study, historical or modern data or appeal will change his mind on either of these unsupported 'solutions' but he still genuinely sees it as a solution and it comes from, fundamentally, good intentions. I think it's a less extreme version of this.

The problem that most of us have with these sorts of things is that they do appeal to people like my grandfather, but the studies we've seen say they're having the opposite effect. Making criminals pay for their own prison sentence might be 'doing something about crime' sure, but it doesn't decrease recidivism.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Fun times in the upper house. Microparties and Labor trying to wedge the greens and introduce new bills for debate to stymie the senate reforms, then drumming up some righteous indignation because the greens voted against debating their own bills.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 15, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

This was a great post but I disagree with this section. I think you, like everyone is racist. I think we all make small or large judgements based on race, it's a very flawed and yet very human thing to do. The choice we make is to internally challenge those judgements, to take the decision to ask ourselves "Is this a fair response" and not to throw out our knee jerk reaction assuming that it is correct.

Everyone is racist, to claim that anyone isn't racist is to deny the existence of racism by claiming it is possible to be "not racist". It says being racist is a choice, when in fact being racist is your default reaction and not being racist is a choice, it allows people to leave their own reactions unchallenged because it's possible that they aren't racist. If everyone came into every situation with the assumption that "I'm going to make internal judgements based on race because I'm at least a bit racist" then there would be a lot less expressed racism in the world.

Good point, I was responding too directly and not keeping Avenue Q in mind. We all discriminate, and I'm at fault passively if not actively.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers - interesting that it happened in 2010 and somehow the LNP vetting machine didn't pick it up.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Redcordial posted:

You run into an arsehole throughout your day, and you probably just ran into an arsehole. If you find people are constantly being arseholes or hostile towards you, chances are that you are the arsehole, and people merely reflect the negativity put in front of them.

But whatever, humans are terrified of looking inward to solve their problems or answer their questions.

Funnily enough despite knowing and talking to diverse groups of people on a wide range of topics the only place I get unbridled hatred is here.

I have a more receptive audience when I explain to my old man why some Greens policies are better than the Coalition's.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Good point, I was responding too directly and not keeping Avenue Q in mind. We all discriminate, and I'm at fault passively if not actively.

That wasn't intended as an attack on you, I just think it's important that there isn't a case where people are "not sexist" or "not racist" and we need to change the conversation from "Racism = bad, Me = not bad, therefore me =/= racist" to "I accept the judgements that I make internally are not fair and they need to be challenged". Which again isn't really directed at you as much as it is a comment towards the broader conversation.

EDIT: It's the same kind of thinking that assumes that taking away the ability of people on the dole to buy things that you think they shouldn't be spending their money on will be helping them, when in fact taking away their independence leads to worse outcomes in the long term. The knee jerk feel reaction to a situation is often super wrong and we need to challenge those knee jerk feel reactions. When all those feels go unchallenged you end up with the positions of Libertycat.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 15, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

That wasn't intended as an attack on you, I just think it's important that there isn't a case where people are "not sexist" or "not racist" and we need to change the conversation from "Racism = bad, Me = not bad, therefore me =/= racist" to "I accept the judgements that I make internally are not fair and they need to be challenged". Which again isn't really directed at you as much as it is a comment towards the broader conversation.

Not taken as such, my approach is to take responsibility and work on myself. I have a good few incidents seared into my memory to remind me of a few isms.

quote:

EDIT: It's the same kind of thinking that assumes that taking away the ability of people on the dole to buy things that you think they shouldn't be spending their money on will be helping them, when in fact taking away their independence leads to worse outcomes in the long term.

And I've been thinking a lot about that, it doesn't seem as kneejerk to me given how badly they patronise poor people in general, with the expectation they can divert the resulting anger to other poor people who happen to be gay or black or female or foreign. Lying about child sex offences as an excuse to send the army into NT and railroad indigenous people for instance, that wasn't kneejerk, it was deliberate and hypocritical. But it was kneejerk to the extent that people who are in the position to make a change make one for the sake of looking like they're making a change. Making ghettos doesn't seem to be-oh wait that's what they do best isn't it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

quote:

Greens reject senate vote on own gay marriage bil

The Greens have shot down debate and a possible Senate vote on an issue close to their heart - marriage equality.

Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm tried unsuccessfully to bring on for consideration in the final sitting week before the May budget the private Greens legislation, saying it would be "perverse and undemocratic" for the minor party to avoid debate of their own bill.

Opposition Senate leader figure Penny Wong accused the Greens of valuing its "dirty deal" with the government on changes to the way Australians vote for the Senate over marriage equality, slamming the party for voting with the likes of gay marriage opponent Cory Bernardi on Tuesday.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale challenged Labor to bring the matter on for debate on Thursday during the time allocated for private bills to prove they weren't crying "crocodile tears".

Senator Leyonhjelm said he would have had the numbers to get the legislation passed in the Senate this week.

"If they are willing to walk away from marriage equality, what won't they jettison?" he said in a statement.

Via SBS News. Could someone weigh in on this? Is there some sort of argument for this rather than just the Greens going with a political strategy?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Narrator posted:

Via SBS News. Could someone weigh in on this? Is there some sort of argument for this rather than just the Greens going with a political strategy?

Gitro posted:

Fun times in the upper house. Microparties and Labor trying to wedge the greens and introduce new bills for debate to stymie the senate reforms, then drumming up some righteous indignation because the greens voted against debating their own bills.

You probably missed this post, it might answer your question.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yes, the answer is obviously not to do nothing and I can't disagree with what you've said. You're assuming though that you can engage enough people to do this or you are just abstracting the problem to a different level to people who aren't really accountable.

In this case the Government is using a blunt instrument to (in their view) minimize harm. Is the alternative to kick down every door in Ceduna to intervene?

You're assuming that you can't engage enough people, actually, you can, and it's not difficult. One of the biggest things I've found in the last ~6 months is that no matter the issue, there is already some form of ngo/nfp/community org that is working on the solution.

I don't know poo poo about dick re South Australia (except the Greens there have got a great mechanism for turning new members into campaigners) but I'm happy to claim that there would already be at least one local group who have proven solutions to the problems the welfare card addresses.

If you want to fix your toilet, you call the plumber. If you want to fix the negative consequences of unemployment, you call the social scientist. If you want to help someone, you ask them first. Welfare card does not reflect the recommendations of professionals in the area, and it does not reflect community wishes. Because of these reasons it's a really great use of money if you want to do the opposite of what would help.

Lol jokes it's too hard and you trust corporations with your money anyway so what's the point of trying in the first place

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Battle begins over demands to make casual workers permanent

quote:

Millions of casual workers would be given the right to become permanent employees after six months, under a national union plan to curb the casualisation of Australia's workforce.

Several major unions have launched claims in the Fair Work Commission seeking new rights cemented across every industry, which would give 2.2 million casuals the ability to convert after working "regularly" for six months with one employer.

The contentious push has sparked a new industrial relations battle, set to unfold this week.

The workplace tribunal has begun a series of public hearings into the issue as part of its review of pay and conditions in 122 modern awards covering most Australian workers.

Employers have roundly condemned the legal claims as "costly and thoughtless".

Australia's biggest business lobby – the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry – warns that the change would risk 19,000 jobs and suck $3.7 billion a year from the national economy.

"These new restrictions would stifle flexibility in the workforce and it means many employers would simply not allow contracts to run for more than six months, which would ultimately disadvantage employees," former ACCI chief Kate Carnell said.

"Casual employment is not the enemy; not having a job is the problem, and this is what will ultimately happen to thousands of casual workers if these claims succeed."

Melbourne crane and forklift driver David Kubli, 57, has been engaged as a casual for five years.

He is one of the estimated 140,000 casual workers in the manufacturing industry who miss out on acess to entitlements such as annual leave because of their employment status.

Unlike "genuine casuals", such as students or other part-time workers who choose flexible shifts, Mr Kubli is a full-time employee in everything but name.

"I am expected to be there five days a week, eight hours a day, 52 weeks a year," he said.

Mr Kubli receives no pay for sick days, or annual and personal leave, and had to hand in three weeks' notice to take an unpaid week off for his wedding.

He says he has made repeated verbal requests with his employer to become permanent but it "feels like everyone is passing the buck".

"As a casual they can just walk us out the gate any time," he said.

"As a permanent worker, there's more of a process that the company has to go through."

The unions' proposed "casual conversion clauses" state that casuals who convert to permanent will have their employment period as a regular casual employee factored in for redundancy, unfair dismissal and parental leave.

At the Fair Work Commission on Monday, the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union made the case for "automatic conversion" that would make casual workers permanent after six or 12 months unless they "opt out" and want to remain casual.

Existing rules on casual employment in the manufacturing industry allowed workers a "right to request" permanent employment after six months but gave employers a wide range of reasons to refuse, Mr Dettemer said.

"Our research shows that 88 per cent of requests to become permanent are rejected.

"In fact, 22 per cent of casual workers are too afraid to ask, despite having the right," he said.

"The system is broken. Casual employment has simply become a way for employers to exploit vulnerable workers. It's time this stopped."

Australian Industry Group chief executive Innes Willox said casual arrangements provided vital flexibility for employers and employees alike, and accused the union movement of attempting to "demonise" casual work.

"One indisputable fact is that the level of casual employment has not increased in Australia for the past 18 years ... statistics show that it remains at 20 per cent of the workforce," he said.

Link

1) This is a good thing that is finally moving
2) If you can join your union, do so
3) If you have any spare coins, think about putting it towards one of the unions fighting for this

Apologies if this has already coming up. didn't want to scan read 300 posts

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The longish answer from the ABC site:

quote:

What the hell just happened in the red chamber?

* Crossbenchers have been cooking up a plan with Labor to try and embarrass The Greens and the Government

* The government has been threatening to call a double dissolution election if it can’t get the ABCC bill through the Upper House BUT the Coalition wants to get Senate voting reforms through first to make it more difficult for crossbenchers to be re-elected

* Labor and some crossbenchers are angry because the Greens are supporting the Senate voting changes, ensuring the bills will pass and clearing the path for the government to use ABCC as a trigger

* Crossbenchers interrupted debate when the Senate started today, pushing for a series of bills to be listed for debate including the ABCC legislation, gay-marriage legislation.

* The government and The Greens voted together against Labor and most crossbenchers

* The Government therefore voted against "bringing on" for debate on the ABCC bill that it wants to have up its sleeve for a double dissolution trigger

* The Greens therefore voted against "bringing on" debate on its own bill to legalise same-sex marriage

* Labor and the crossbenchers argue, in particular, that the government's decision to stymie debate on the ABCC bill weakens its case for a double dissolution election

Most of this is pointless since everyone knows a DD would be disastrous for the government anyway, so the only thing I can take from this is how gormless the ALP are.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Ah, I did miss that post. Thank you.

Edit: and cheers ewe2

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

Craig, don't take offence if someone calls you or your opinions racist. It's not some great shut down of debate, it's pointing out that we all make those judgements and that we need to be vigilant that our internal racist monologue is challenged by rational thought. Accepting our racism is part of working towards being less racist.

With respect hooman it's sometimes hard not to be Internet offended when an accusation of being racist is often followed by being called a 'poo poo stain' or similar. I don't believe it does much for discussion. Also, its fair to say that this may have been used here occasionally as a way of shutting down debate.

Although I don't believe I need to be on a 24/7 heightened security alert of my internal monologues I do appreciate your point and will have a think about it when read posts that touch on the topic.

Thank you for a response that I'm actually going to read and consider as it's neither pointless or vitriolic. It's a shame that ewe2 feels that having discussions with people is pointless because they don't care for being given both barrels. That's ewe2's problem I guess.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Graic Gabtar posted:

With respect hooman it's sometimes hard not to be Internet offended when an accusation of being racist is often followed by being called a 'poo poo stain' or similar. I don't believe it does much for discussion. Also, its fair to say that this may have been used here occasionally as a way of shutting down debate.

Although I don't believe I need to be on a 24/7 heightened security alert of my internal monologues I do appreciate your point and will have a think about it when read posts that touch on the topic.

Thank you for a response that I'm actually going to read and consider as it's neither pointless or vitriolic. It's a shame that ewe2 feels that having discussions with people is pointless because they don't care for being given both barrels. That's ewe2's problem I guess.

ewe2 wrote a perfectly reasonable post and you're just being a wounded whiner which is exactly what you do when you aren't pretending to have your finger on the pulse of everyman.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Debate SSM on Thursday. Last sitting day before the budget and likely before the election.

Kind of pointless.

Amusing watching the Greens act like Labor and all the supporters here agreeing with the move. If it was the otherway around would be another example of how horrible, sellout etc. the ALP are.

Wonder how the base will react. Probably wont matter now the Greens have killed off any contenders replacing them as the progressive protest vote. All aboard the ALP lite train.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Graic Gabtar posted:

Pretty sure Ewe2 was just a bit upset that you were really flippant about an effort post he made in good faith in order to help you understand his pov.

But I agree hooman is definitely 'one of the good ones'

Jintor
May 19, 2014

ewe2 posted:

The longish answer from the ABC site:

Most of this is pointless since everyone knows a DD would be disastrous for the government anyway, so the only thing I can take from this is how gormless the ALP are.

thanks mate

Can someone give a brief rundown of what the Senate changes actually are? All I know is that they somehow stop the preference flows somehow. I recall a brief mention of 'exhausting' preferences or something but I can't for the life of me remember what that actually means.

Also something about above-the-line below-the-line preferencing, but I might be making that up.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Graic Gabtar posted:

drown all refugees imo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure Ewe2 was just a bit upset that you were really flippant about an effort post he made in good faith in order to help you understand his pov.

Pretty sure I'm not at all upset but it was still a waste of time engaging an arsehole. It's not a conversation I'm interested in maintaining so please drop the white knighting its only encouraging him.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Starshark posted:

ewe2 wrote a perfectly reasonable post and you're just being a wounded whiner which is exactly what you do when you aren't pretending to have your finger on the pulse of everyman.

Well I'll just have to take your word for it as I gave up half way through. 'Wounded whiner' huh? I simply like to keep good relations and will concede some ground as you all are good for a chat. Forgive me if I don't continually double down for your own enjoyment.

As for there 'everyman' stuff? You know what? I'm going to put my hand up and own that. When I rocked up here I thought I knew everything about mainstream Australia. Turns out I really know poo poo all about what makes up what the 'mainstream'. I'm trying not to do that anymore . If I am I'm happy for people to call me out on it if I do.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So all I've gotten today from that same sex marriage thing is that it is still going to remain in limbo as parties use it as a shiny 'LOOK AT OVER' banner. Form my view no one saved face today even though I can understand why the Greens did what they did.

I'm going to be hearing about this non-stop, while everyone just ignores what Labor are doing.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 15, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EvilElmo posted:

Wonder how the base will react. Probably wont matter now the Greens have killed off any contenders replacing them as the progressive protest vote. All aboard the ALP lite train.

Bullet Train are still around.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

EvilElmo posted:

Debate SSM on Thursday. Last sitting day before the budget and likely before the election.

Kind of pointless.

Amusing watching the Greens act like Labor and all the supporters here agreeing with the move. If it was the otherway around would be another example of how horrible, sellout etc. the ALP are.

Di Natale wants it to be discussed on Thursday too, at least.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Rabbit owners try to convince police it is a guinea pig after illegal pet found

The owners of a rabbit being kept illegally in Queensland have tried unsuccessfully to convince police officers their pet was a guinea pig.

Queensland police found the rabbit living in a cage inside a caravan at Springwood, south of Brisbane, after being called to the address in relation to an incident involving the owners.

Police said the owners tried unsuccessfully to convince officers the animal was actually a guinea pig.

A Queensland Police Service spokesman said the owners could face possible charges for keeping a declared pest.

Queensland has the toughest anti-rabbit laws in the world, with penalties of $44,000 and six months in prison, unless owners have proper authorisation.

RSPCA Queensland's Michael Beatty said it was very uncommon to come across rabbits being kept as pets in Queensland.

"We probably deal with about one case every two years ... so it's very rare," he said.

"You don't see it a lot, it's fairly well publicised that rabbits aren't allowed in Queensland."

The Springwood rabbit has been sent to a rabbit rescue sanctuary in Grafton, New South Wales.

"We send them across the border to be re-homed there. Otherwise by law we have to euthanise them."

Coincidentally, the RSPCA does not recommend keeping guinea pigs and rabbits together as pets.

"Though there have been cases where rabbits and guinea pigs have been friends with each other, it is not advisable to keep these animals together," the website read.

"Rabbits can bully and seriously injure guinea pigs."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-15/rabbit-found-illegally-owners-try-convince-its-guinea-pig/7247084

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jintor posted:

thanks mate

Can someone give a brief rundown of what the Senate changes actually are? All I know is that they somehow stop the preference flows somehow. I recall a brief mention of 'exhausting' preferences or something but I can't for the life of me remember what that actually means.

Also something about above-the-line below-the-line preferencing, but I might be making that up.

Doctor Spaceman has you covered:

quote:

The report recommends, and the the government has agreed to, amend the legislation to allow optional preferential voting below the line.

The ballot paper instructions will now state that voters must complete at least six preferences above the line, or at least 12 preferences below the line. Voters will be free to continue numbering as many preferences as they like beyond the minimum number specified.

A savings provision will allow ballot papers with at least 6 below the line preferences to be formal, catering for people who confuse the above and below the line instructions.

The amendment makes the legislation much fairer in allowing ballot papers marked below the line to be treated equally with above the line votes under formality rules. A 1-6 vote above the line corresponds to at least 12 preferences below the line, which will be the proposed instructions for a formal below the line vote.

quote:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

quote:

What happens to your vote if you preference micro parties only? Does it slip off into the void?

Yup. Your vote is interpreted as saying "I prefer these people and if I don't get them then they're all equally good / bad".

[quote]
How does this affect the allocation of the final seats - will it be , get above the quota and the excess runs off, then first past the post once preferences are exhausted?

By the end you need less than a quota to get in.

Tasmania has Hare-Clark with optional preferential voting, if you want a practical example.

quote:

quote:

Right so, I guess they keep eliminating parties at the bottom and preference or chuck out votes depending on the ballot being exhausted or not, and the last X people remaining get the X remaining seats. Makes sense.

That's a concise summary of the system, yeah.

quote:

Speaking of quotas, how do they decide what to do with the excess votes? Assuming below the line voting, where your first preference got a quota, but the second preference is maybe someone in a different party?

There are several different ways of handling the overflow. Broadly speaking, the lower preferences still transfer but make less of an impact, by only redistributing some of the votes and / or by weighting them less.

So basically you can still vote the way you did before, otherwise you can state by your ATL vote what your preferences are. It has the effect of stopping the Leyonhjelm trick of swapping preferences between a front of fake microparties to get a false quota, but also makes general preferencing much clearer, since your preferences will not be distributed behind your back to parties you did not expect to preference.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Can't even keep a rabbit in QLD what kind of hellhole state is it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Jintor posted:

thanks mate

It removes the 'Mark one box above the line'. the mark one above the line was really 'substitute for this partys bellow the line numbers'. which people often had no idea what they were. Now it is mark bellow, or 1-6 above. The 1-6 above are those groups in order.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

hmmm

on the face of it, that seems to make sense.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Jintor posted:

hmmm

on the face of it, that seems to make sense.

Solidifies a 3 party system in the Senate. Xenophon will slowly lose his spot after a high water mark this election. It will now basically be impossible for an independent or small party gain a foothold. If the ALP/LNP did this 50 years ago there would be no Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

EvilElmo posted:

Solidifies a 3 party system in the Senate. Xenophon will slowly lose his spot after a high water mark this election. It will now basically be impossible for an independent or small party gain a foothold. If the ALP/LNP did this 50 years ago there would be no Greens.

*frrrrrrrrrrrt*

• Locked thread