Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I haven't been able to find this on google for some reason: I'm doing a 109 that has a removable cowling, and since I went to the trouble of actually building the engine (and it even looks pretty good!) I'm going to display it with the cowling up. How do I do sanding/painting of the cowling? I assume that I need to do it all at once, which implies I need to do some manner of temporary fixing of the cowling pieces to the fuselage such that when I'm done painting I can take them off and glue them back on permanently open. What is the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I've done that with sticky tack on the inside before.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

oh god drat it

I was cleaning my airbrush in the bathroom and dropped the nozzle. Pretty sure it bounced into the dust pile under the washing machine. So now I'm using the dryer's lint screen like I'm panning for gold.

It's not working very well.

Vvv might try that, thanks. Though I'll have to find a pantyhose substitute...

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 13, 2016

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

oh god drat it

I was cleaning my airbrush in the bathroom and dropped the tip. Pretty sure it bounced into the dust pile under the washing machine. So now I'm using the dryer's lint screen like I'm panning for gold.

It's not working very well.

You could try putting some mesh/pantyhose over the sucky bit of your vacuum cleaner. Dirt/dust gets sucked in, whatever small piece you're looking for isn't :pseudo:
:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is it steel? Got a magnet?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

Is it steel? Got a magnet?

Don't know. Some of the parts are steel, some aren't. Still trying it. If I don't find it in a bit I'll just get shitfaced and watch Netflix.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Baronjutter posted:

I've been without laser-access since august and it's been very rough. The "build team" finally finished making the new laser, but it was not cutting to scale and no one's really taken the time to figure out the weird chinese software and get things tuned up. Spent the last couple days trial-and-erroring things, posting on laser forums, and reading badly translated manuals. But I finally have the thing cutting to scale and pretty ok focus.

You know, I looked at the prices on N scale stuff, and I'm wishing now I had gone for N. I'll probably have to troll eBay for cheap used HO rolling stock.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Powers posted:

You know, I looked at the prices on N scale stuff, and I'm wishing now I had gone for N. I'll probably have to troll eBay for cheap used HO rolling stock.

I know everyone has their tastes, but I don't really see the point of HO scale any more. You can fit so much more layout and much more realistic sized things on a layout in N. Yeah it was junk in the 60's but N's just as reliable and pretty much as detailed these days, except cheaper, and you can fit much more in a smaller space.

I guess it depends on your focus: if you want to model a railroad go N, if you want to model trains, go HO. For me I'm all about trying to make realistic scenes as a whole and need the space to hope to depict industries and cities in an apartment.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Don't know. Some of the parts are steel, some aren't. Still trying it. If I don't find it in a bit I'll just get shitfaced and watch Netflix.

If the piece is sharp, have you tried bare feet? Guaranteed you'll find it (tread lightly, don't break it)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mr. Powers posted:

I got a sweet deal on some railroad landscaping foam, i.e. insulation foam board. I was buying two 4x8 1" panels and one had a chunk missing, so the Lowe's guy discounted it 70% off.

If there is a new development springing up near you, take a look at the waste bins as those guys will chuck big pieces of rigid foam.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Lunch Break Building Report: Pocher Aventador - Prologue - Unboxing... boxes?

Saturday I received an email from the post office they have a delivery for me but they can't put it into my usual pick up place (we have these automated lockers around here, where we can go fetch our packages). Instead they asked me to come to their main office in the city today to go pick it up.

So this lunch break I happily took the bus to the main railway station where the main post office is, sent out a book to a fellow model builder and got my little package...

IT IS AS BIG AS A HOUSE! I could fit every body I have stashed in my basement in there and then some. I can't even reach around this, let alone carry it back to the bus, mostly because I'm only 1,70 and I wouldn't be able to see where I'm going.

So one taxi cab ride later I'm back at the office tearing into this thing. I'm greeted by about 7 billion and 5 styrofoam packing peanuts, which promptly flood the office.

Inside the box is another box strategically placed so you can't remove it without more peanut fun.

Inside that second box is yet a third box and this is the first time I see the words Pocher.

Inside the third box is a fourth box and the meat we're looking for.

(half litre Cola bottle for size)

And that's as far as I came today.

I think I'm not spoiling anything when I tell you, there are yet more boxen inside this box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Woo! I ordered some kits from Lucky Model back in 2014, and they didn't send my order since one of the kits (a Tamiya Pz. III) was backordered....

...and then they kept not sending them, despite me nagging by e-mail. Well, they finally decided to send the kits they did have (that I no longer need), and give me store credits for the rest.It's like getting a kit for free, since I had already written that money off as a pure loss.

Lesson learned: always, always, always cross in the "Show In Stock Only" mark when browsing Lucky Model.

Now, what to spend 30 bucks on? I'm tempted into getting something armoured with interiors for the first time, just to try it out (and because I hate life).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Baronjutter posted:

I know everyone has their tastes, but I don't really see the point of HO scale any more. You can fit so much more layout and much more realistic sized things on a layout in N. Yeah it was junk in the 60's but N's just as reliable and pretty much as detailed these days, except cheaper, and you can fit much more in a smaller space.

I guess it depends on your focus: if you want to model a railroad go N, if you want to model trains, go HO. For me I'm all about trying to make realistic scenes as a whole and need the space to hope to depict industries and cities in an apartment.

Yeah, I'm more interested in the railroad. I think any savings in part cost would have been offset by part quantity. Also, the local shop is pretty light when it comes to N. I'll roll with HO for now and see what I like. I never really did any modeling, so it might even turn out that I don't like any of it but the electronics!

Antifreeze Head posted:

If there is a new development springing up near you, take a look at the waste bins as those guys will chuck big pieces of rigid foam.

I'll have to give this a try. Someone told me to watch Craigslist for contractors dumping excess panels.

carticket fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 14, 2016

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Now, what to spend 30 bucks on?

How about a nice motorcycle? I'm building the Tamiya Ducati 916 in 1:12 (which is right about 30 bucks) as a quick in-between and it's an absolute dream and joy to build. Very nice detail and perfect fit.

That motor is 23 parts and its not done yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Woo! I ordered some kits from Lucky Model back in 2014, and they didn't send my order since one of the kits (a Tamiya Pz. III) was backordered....

...and then they kept not sending them, despite me nagging by e-mail. Well, they finally decided to send the kits they did have (that I no longer need), and give me store credits for the rest.It's like getting a kit for free, since I had already written that money off as a pure loss.

Lesson learned: always, always, always cross in the "Show In Stock Only" mark when browsing Lucky Model.

Now, what to spend 30 bucks on? I'm tempted into getting something armoured with interiors for the first time, just to try it out (and because I hate life).

Get an Academy Stuart in that case. They have both the Honey and M3A1 with interiors (sans engine compartment), and you should be able to find either one for about 30 bucks. If you settle for 1:48, Hobby Boss makes a pretty nice T-34-76 with a full interior that's a scaled down version of their 1:16 kit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Get an Academy Stuart in that case. They have both the Honey and M3A1 with interiors (sans engine compartment), and you should be able to find either one for about 30 bucks. If you settle for 1:48, Hobby Boss makes a pretty nice T-34-76 with a full interior that's a scaled down version of their 1:16 kit.

Unfortunately none in stock, but holy crap, they have daycare robbits:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

How about a nice motorcycle? I'm building the Tamiya Ducati 916 in 1:12 (which is right about 30 bucks) as a quick in-between and it's an absolute dream and joy to build. Very nice detail and perfect fit.

Looking good, Tamiya bikes are excellent builds. I built a YZR-M1 last year and it was a breeze.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Greyhawk posted:

I love that bike and I love that kit. I've done a half-dozen or so Tamiya bikes and they're all great kits. I started one a while back and moved on to other things. Need to pull that back out and get to work.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I love that bike and I love that kit. I've done a half-dozen or so Tamiya bikes and they're all great kits. I started one a while back and moved on to other things. Need to pull that back out and get to work.

It's such a pleasure to work with this kit. The fit is impossibly good. Fitting the engine to the frame would have resulted in a hulk rage in any other kit. Here it just slips on and you're good.

(The flash doesn't agree with what I've done to the frame but it looks ok in real life)

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

I just won a german Ebay auction and got the Tamya Jeep Wrangler.

Why is this exciting? Dinosaurs, thats why!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Add a Revell Dinosaur and you're golden.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah man, get some high-quality from Cretaceous Creations:

Or Geene Models

Or if those are too pricy, Pegasus Hobbies puts out a decent line of quality dinos at lower prices. Perfect scale for the jeep, too.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Those are some mighty fine dino models. If I don't watch myself I'll end up building a 1/24 scale replica if Isla Nublar in my back yard. Jurassic World had a monorail, would that count as a model train?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A package came in.

Mixed parts? Sounds boring.

Pfft get a load of this guy, the wrapping paper goes on the outside

The insides of the box are most certainly not boring.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah man, get some high-quality from Cretaceous Creations:

Or Geene Models

Or if those are too pricy, Pegasus Hobbies puts out a decent line of quality dinos at lower prices. Perfect scale for the jeep, too.

Cool. 1/24 sounds pretty big though.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

makka-setan posted:

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

I just won a german Ebay auction and got the Tamya Jeep Wrangler.

Why is this exciting? Dinosaurs, thats why!

That's awesome. I was just wondering the other day about making the Jurassic Park jeep.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Mr. Powers posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in the railroad. I think any savings in part cost would have been offset by part quantity. Also, the local shop is pretty light when it comes to N. I'll roll with HO for now and see what I like. I never really did any modeling, so it might even turn out that I don't like any of it but the electronics!

It depends on what you're trying to do. HO is great for super detailing, or for modelling a small section of railroad in a small space. If you build around the walls on a shelf 8-10" wide, you can pack a lot of railroad and a lot of location context into that space.

Depending on what you want to model, Bachmann and Atlas have really improved their game to produce quality equipment, with Accurail producing decent, cheap rolling stock kits.

Speaking of Bachmann, I've read they're doing some interesting stuff with Bluetooth as far as command control. I expect the hobby to be dead-rail by the time I retire...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It depends on what you're trying to do. HO is great for super detailing, or for modelling a small section of railroad in a small space. If you build around the walls on a shelf 8-10" wide, you can pack a lot of railroad and a lot of location context into that space.

Depending on what you want to model, Bachmann and Atlas have really improved their game to produce quality equipment, with Accurail producing decent, cheap rolling stock kits.

Speaking of Bachmann, I've read they're doing some interesting stuff with Bluetooth as far as command control. I expect the hobby to be dead-rail by the time I retire...

I don't think the Bachmann's Bluetooth system will go anywhere but in their system, but I could see 802.15.4 getting standardized, probably with a Bluetooth peripheral to enable phone/tablet control.

I'll have to look into accurail. I only really want a few cars for now until I add a yard of some sort (I'm sure that will be like $100 in switches).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finishing off the Kolobanov's KV project, a few decent crewmen to replace the awful Tamiya one!

This is a resin kit from a company called Tank (good luck googling that), which is pretty great except for two reasons: due to the brittleness of resin all of Kolobanov's fingers fell off, and there is no map included for the map case, so I had to draw my own. There is a little bit of choice in the kit, all the figures come with a full bald head so you can leave the padded helmets off. Getting the helmets on these heads is a bit hard, you have to sand off the ears and push very carefully so the helmet doesn't crack, as one of mine did. Kolobanov himself comes with a hairy head and a folded helmet if you choose to do this.

Edit: oh, another downside, the figures are the wrong height to display them they way they are on the box (standing on the engine deck, looking at the map on the turret), so I had to do it this way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"Ok so we're here, and Germany is over here. How long is that going to take us?"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

"Ok so we're here, and Germany is over here. How long is that going to take us?"

"Trick question, commander. We drive a KV, the transmission is already out of order."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"The flag is at the crossroads here, so what we're going to do is park our tank inside of a bush over in this corner *points* and snipe"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NTRabbit posted:

"LEFT turn, Steve. I said a LEFT turn when we went through Albaqurque!"

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Lunch Break Build Report: Pocher Aventador - Prologue - Unboxing 2: Unboxeder

Continuing from tomorrows theme, I open the box to naturally reveal another box.

This time with a bag of goodies though.

These are water slide decals, metal water slides, stickers, a sheet of precut double sided tape, seat belts and carpets

Delving further into the box we come to the sprues. Over 30 bags of them (I stopped counting at some point) some as large as my torso.

Each bag contains either one or more sprues, in the case of multiple sprues each has an additional bag around it.

Particularly fragile sprues are packed in bubble wrap. Anything light sensitive is additionally packed in silk paper for further protection

Beneath these we find the big bag of screws (over 300 of them in 14 variants)

We also find a blister of metal parts

Removing the box from the box rewards us with another box, this one out of styrofoam and taped to it a sheet of PE parts and the engine covers

In here we find the inner and outer metal parts of the frame each individually wrapped in silk paper

And that's it. Now to organise all this stuff in a sensible way.

BUILD MEEEEE! YOU WANT TO BUILD MEEEE!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

"Trick question, commander. We drive a KV, the transmission is already out of order."

Kolobanov didn't become famous by driving like some kind of peasant

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

BUILD MEEEEE! YOU WANT TO BUILD MEEEE!

I have a 1:12 car waiting to be built but I'm too afraid to mess it up, and I'm sure it wasn't even close to as expensive as the one you have there. I hope you keep us posted, it looks awesome!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I too got a box!

Inside the box is another box!

That's it, though.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I like the concept of receiving a huge box containing a tiny box.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

tunah posted:

I have a 1:12 car waiting to be built but I'm too afraid to mess it up.

Don't do that, you'll never start it. There'll always be that little voice going "I'm not good enough yet, I'm going to mess it up." Turns out it's actually quite hard to mess things up bad enough they become unrecoverable. To wit, the Ducati I'm working on has been thoroughly messed up by the previous owner, broken parts, things cut from the sprue than doused in superglue and thrown back into the box where those parts glued themselves to other parts and so on. Guy had a bit of a meltdown there. But, it turns out quite ok with a bit of TLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So, what exactly in that Ferrari kit is light sensitive, and do you have to assemble in a darkroom? I'm imaging a thread in Dorkroom with car parts and very confused photographers.