Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Bloody posted:

use the sqlite.net driver it's first-party and then use sql like an adult

yeah thats what i ended up doing last time i tried sqlite + ef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bloody posted:

sql is an actual modern technology; ef is not

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hey all those bad renderings would be much appreciated in the Post Your Glitches thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611075

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok, so if i wanted to try my hand with an orm before i just write my own sql stuff, what's a good one that is popular. im basically doing this github because nothing i code for work can ever be shown to another potential employer (yay closed source) so i want to brush up on some more current skills and also end up with a project i can actually have in a public repo. this particular project is as unrelated to my job as possible so that i have a leg to stand on if they come at me with any of the more draconian clauses w/r/t outside projects in my contract.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sql

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like just get the sqlite database browser and start loving around with a database you will very quickly overcome your fear of sql

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
SQL is a handy skill to have

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i know enough sql to do what im asking for, dont get me wrong. its just more that this is a fun+learning project so if theres a popular modern orm framework out there i may as well learn it at the same time.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there is and it's sql

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry I really like sql is all

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bloody posted:

sorry I really like sql is all

:same:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
like 90% of the sql i do is simple crud stuff and 90% of the time performance doesn't matter so i'll happily let an orm generate the code for me when i can

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tbh it sounds like your queries would be pretty simple so just learn u a SQL and make some stored procs or maybe use an ORM

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

tbh it sounds like your queries would be pretty simple so just learn u a SQL and make some stored procs or maybe use an ORM

i will just do stored procs then. the data model is absolutely simple. i guess instead i will learn wpf so i can do some slick ui poo poo. making vb6 activex controls all day makes me feel sad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Do a project where you examine how bad all popular orms are.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've been using dapper on .net. It's not ideal but it's ok. Mybatis + spring mybatis is the best.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

if i examined all the bad software and libraries in the world then i would have to examine 99.9999999999......% of software in the world.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i recently saw a bit of the source code to one of our android apps and all the methods seemed to be side effecting calls that dont return a value and after years of doing haskell and elm i was shocked

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
running through ms's wpf tutorial. they have you doing most of the layout via typing in the xaml. its pretty straightforward, but do people usually do it that way, or do they typically use the designer and just drag-n-drop poo poo and make the occasional tweak in the xaml?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

findings: they are very bad.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hmm, i need to query the database, so instead of using the sql language that was designed specifically for the purpose, i think i'll make 50 java classes and then eat my own poo poo

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

we're getting to the point in things where we start to need structured logging / data storage beyond 'hey, just dump it all to console' and ive always known i dont really know the first thing about database design, turns out i really dont know the first thing about database design

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fritz posted:

we're getting to the point in things where we start to need structured logging / data storage beyond 'hey, just dump it all to console' and ive always known i dont really know the first thing about database design, turns out i really dont know the first thing about database design

use mongodb, it's webscale

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fart simpson posted:

i recently saw a bit of the source code to one of our android apps and all the methods seemed to be side effecting calls that dont return a value and after years of doing haskell and elm i was shocked

have you never used a print() function or output data to a file or anything?

im learning android rn and yeah it feels kind of weird sometimes like you're passing off all this stuff into the ether and nothing is coming back. but the reality is that it's gone to the parts of the system that you sent it to, and you can check this by using all the getter and query functions that are available.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

monads

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im learning android rn and yeah it feels kind of weird sometimes like you're passing off all this stuff into the ether and nothing is coming back. but the reality is that it's gone to the parts of the system that you sent it to, and you can check this by using all the getter and query functions that are available.

in haskell and elm you push stuff line print() and outputting data to a file to the edges of your program, you dont just do that stuff wherever. every function has a return value and no functions side effect without it being explicitly captured by the type system. so seeing something where any method just outputs stuff or draws to the screen or whatever on its own without having to declare anything or be pushed to well defined points of contact with the outside world seems really haphazard and crazy to me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

running through ms's wpf tutorial. they have you doing most of the layout via typing in the xaml. its pretty straightforward, but do people usually do it that way, or do they typically use the designer and just drag-n-drop poo poo and make the occasional tweak in the xaml?

I do, I only use the designer to check some layout stuff. I'd quite like to turn off the drag and drop because it's always an accident and it fucks up my beautiful xaml

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i type it out. the xaml code assist has got way better in the last couple versions, and you'll have to type your bindings etc anyway

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I can't use sql, orms have spoiled me. validation hooks and change notifications are the things I miss the most when I'm using bare SQL, and schema migration is a pain

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
you can use tools like liquibase or mybatis to handle your migrations, you don't need a full-on orm for that

literally every time i've used an orm it bit me in the rear end at some point... you end up having to redesign your entities to match 1) the database structure and 2) the quirks of the orm, and at that point you're better off just using regular objects and some mapping logic to convert your resultsets back to your po[j|c]os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Mybatis is a statement mapper, not an orm. That's why it's good.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
exactly, so mybatis is good, jdbi's also nice, jooq, querydsl, whatever
as long as you stay away from ef or (n)hibernate you're pretty much good to go

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ef is so bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:siren: i have unfucked my dev machine enough that clash-ghc is installing :siren:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

:siren: i have unfucked my dev machine enough that clash-ghc is installing :siren:

rock that casbah :rock:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good news: can now poo poo out verilog from a language that doesnt suck
bad news: lol wtf is haskell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

haskell is good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

haskell is also bad, but its bad in refreshingly different ways

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fritz posted:

don't do it in a db

dump it to files, use logstash and elasticsearch, and then use logrotate to delete older logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey speaking of logs

i've got an application that generates logs on remote machines that are occasionally not on networks. currently, it just logs to local logfiles. what i would like is that when they aren't on networks, they keep logging to files; when they are on networks, they send their logs to a server of some sort, including any logging that happened when they were offline

is this easy

• Locked thread