Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

It appears the Greens will do a preference swap with the LNP.

What are you basing this on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ALP: Making the difficult, unpopular decisions like torturing children.

Being soft on asylum seekers lost the ALP a few elections and contributed to them losing the most recent (party instability didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason).

8.65% of the population voted Green. So clearly there isn't wide spread support for their policy on asylum seekers (among other policies).

Even with party instability, with their "lovely" policies and a leader few people liked, the Greens still had a down-tick in their vote since 2010, why is that? The stars aligned for the Greens at the last election, but they still fell short of their high water mark.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

What are you basing this on?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...84d42f2e2d0a750

When the Libs are briefing The Oz, it's happening.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

EvilElmo posted:

Being soft on asylum seekers lost the ALP a few elections and contributed to them losing the most recent (party instability didn't help, but it wasn't the only reason).

8.65% of the population voted Green. So clearly there isn't wide spread support for their policy on asylum seekers (among other policies).

Even with party instability, with their "lovely" policies and a leader few people liked, the Greens still had a down-tick in their vote since 2010, why is that? The stars aligned for the Greens at the last election, but they still fell short of their high water mark.

So in fact it's not about making difficult decisions, like effectively getting the message out that offshore processing isn't an effective or humane strategy, it's about pandering to the lowest common denominator in order to stay in power.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...84d42f2e2d0a750

When the Libs are briefing The Oz, it's happening.

chortle. uh huh.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So in fact it's not about making difficult decisions, like effectively getting the message out that offshore processing isn't an effective or humane strategy, it's about pandering to the lowest common denominator in order to stay in power.

Must be nice living in your world.

Back in reality, any attack campaign, like, literally any, would destroy any positive messaging the ALP tried to get out. The Greens have been trying for a long time, and their vote drops. The reality is, the majority of Australian's are not in favour of the Greens policy on asylum seekers. The ALP needs to Govern for all of Australia, not just 8.65% of it.

Frogmanv2 posted:

chortle. uh huh.

So the LNP are taking a hit internally for no reason? The Greens are laying the ground for preferences to come their way from the LNP.

My prediction:
"We can't tell another party how to preference"
"We're not giving LNP preferences we're just not giving out HTV's in marginal LNP/ALP seats"

asio posted:

Post your new watch

I don't really get your fascination with this? You stalked me to another thread bringing auspol trash with you. Not sure what you're getting at. But, whatever.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 15, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

It appears the Greens will do a preference swap with the LNP. LNP preference them in marginal ALP/Green seats and in return the Greens will ensure no HTVs are handed out in ALP/LNP marginal seats. Let's watch the Greens win Malcolm a few more terms in Government.

The Coalition has preferenced The Greens ahead of Labor at every federal election except for 2013, and at most state contests too.

The Greens have done open tickets have been done before too, and they tend not to make much of a difference.

Antony Green posted:

For instance, at the 2007 Federal election, the Tasmanian Greens chose not to direct preferences in the five Tasmanian electorates after both the Labor and Liberal Parties declined to stop the proposed Gunns pulp mill. Despite open tickets, Green preferences in Tasmania still flowed 78.3% to Labor

Antony Green posted:

With both the average and total of preferences there is a difference of about 3% in preference flows between seats where the Greens did and did not recommend preferences to Labor. That figure is 3% of preferences, not of the overall vote. If the Green first preference vote was 10%, this difference in preference flows would correspond to 0.3% of the overall vote.
Note that there are currently one (1) seat held by Labor with that kind of a margin, as there was going into the 2013 election. Going into the 2010 election there were zero (0).

It's still just a rumour, and if you're trying to scaremonger you might want to do better than "it'll be like almost every other election".

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just got back from voting abott and im feeling great!!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Back in reality, any attack campaign, like, literally any, would destroy any positive messaging the ALP tried to get out. The Greens have been trying for a long time, and their vote drops. The reality is, the majority of Australian's are not in favour of the Greens policy on asylum seekers. The ALP needs to Govern for all of Australia, not just 8.65% of it.

So the LNP are taking a hit internally for no reason? The Greens are laying the ground for preferences to come their way from the LNP.

My prediction:
"We can't tell another party how to preference"
"We're not giving LNP preferences we're just not giving out HTV's in marginal LNP/ALP seats"

I don't really get your fascination with this? You stalked me to another thread bringing auspol trash with you. Not sure what you're getting at. But, whatever.

I don't want to vote for a party that considers "Governing for all Australia" to include torturing children. If the Greens took up this policy I would no longer vote for them.

Given this stance, is there any reason I should vote for Labor rather than preferencing them second after the greens?

Is there any policy that Labor could take up in order to "Govern for all Australia" that would cause you to stop voting for them?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

hooman posted:

I don't want to vote for a party that considers "Governing for all Australia" to include torturing children. If the Greens took up this policy I would no longer vote for them.

Given this stance, is there any reason I should vote for Labor rather than preferencing them second after the greens?

Is there any policy that Labor could take up in order to "Govern for all Australia" that would cause you to stop voting for them?

Between the ALP and LNP I will always vote ALP.

Who would you prefer in power? LNP or ALP.

Greens, 8.65%, not an option. Come talk to me when they hit 30%.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 15, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

The reality is, the majority of Australian's are not in favour of the Greens policy on asylum seekers.
The reality is, the majority of Australian's are not in favour any specific policy on asylum seekers.

EvilElmo posted:

Who would you prefer in power? Greens, 8.65%, not an option. Come talk to me when they hit 30%.
Someone's got the gif, right?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Who would you prefer in power? Greens, 8.65%, not an option. Come talk to me when they hit 30%.

I already said I preference Labor because they are a better option than the LNP. If the LNP had a better policy base than Labor I would preference them. If the LNP had a better policy base than the greens I would vote for them.

If Labor swung far enough right in order to "Govern for all Australia" that the LNP's policy base more closely matched your own views would you vote for them?

EDIT: I am someone who was a firm Labor supporter and voter and the only reason this changed is because Labor took up the policy of "Torture refugees".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

Who would you prefer in power? LNP or ALP.

Greens, 8.65%, not an option. Come talk to me when they hit 30%.

this is a pathetic effort even for you

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Well, not really. 61% believe the Government is either too soft, or taking the right approach.

20% of Greens voters think the Government is being too soft or spot on. That's... odd.

hooman posted:

I already said I preference Labor because they are a better option than the LNP. If the LNP had a better policy base than Labor I would preference them. If the LNP had a better policy base than the greens I would vote for them.

If Labor swung far enough right in order to "Govern for all Australia" that the LNP's policy base more closely matched your own views would you vote for them?

EDIT: I am someone who was a firm Labor supporter and voter and the only reason this changed is because Labor took up the policy of "Torture refugees".

Green vote #1 with ALP #2 means the ALP needs to dedicate a diminishing volunteer base (and this isn't due to asylum seeker policies, membership, active membership across the board is shrinking, not just in politics) and diminishing money (again, not because of asylum seekers, but because of better spending/donating caps.. probably needs to get stronger though) to hold that seat. Meaning other marginal seats get wedged and it flows on.

The LNP don't have said issue, they're in a coalition with the Nationals who are their 'rivals' and they have rules around who can stand for what and when.

That won't work with a Green/ALP coalition, the Greens will never bind, making it pointless.

A lot would need to happen for the LNP to reflect my own views on the issues I give a gently caress about. They would need to replace their main political funding source, their base voters and their culture.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I agree, if the Greens really cared about Australia they'd roll over and die so that Labor would have a better chance of winning.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I agree, if the Greens really cared about Australia they'd roll over and die so that Labor would have a better chance of winning.

Just pointing out what the increased Green vote does to the chances of a LNP Government.

None of you actually want the ALP to destroy the Greens and take all the progressive vote, so don't pretend like you do.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Well, not really. 61% believe the Government is either too soft, or taking the right approach.

20% of Greens voters think the Government is being too soft or spot on. That's... odd.

Green vote #1 with ALP #2 means the ALP needs to dedicate a diminishing volunteer base (and this isn't due to asylum seeker policies, membership, active membership across the board is shrinking, not just in politics) and diminishing money (again, not because of asylum seekers, but because of better spending/donating caps.. probably needs to get stronger though) to hold that seat. Meaning other marginal seats get wedged and it flows on.

The LNP don't have said issue, they're in a coalition with the Nationals who are their 'rivals' and they have rules around who can stand for what and when.

That won't work with a Green/ALP coalition, the Greens will never bind, making it pointless.

A lot would need to happen for the LNP to reflect my own views on the issues I give a gently caress about. They would need to replace their main political funding source, their base voters and their culture.

Labor has to dedicate too many resources to holding seats against Greens who they have alienated by swinging hard right so they lose seats to the Liberal party.

Does it strike you that Labor is fighting entirely the wrong battle here? Do you see that Labor swinging right moves the overton window in a way that damages the things that at their core both Labor and the Greens agree on? Do you know that the National party also has a problem with losing votes to the Greens?

Nothing you've said has made me think that I should be voting for a party whose policies don't represent my view of how Australia should be run. You've only convinced me that Labor's strategy is really self defeating.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

So you're in fact conceding that the party that takes tough, unpopular decisions is the Greens, which is then reflected in their only capturing <9% of the vote?

"It sure was tough struggling with our conscience for long enough to figure out that yes torture is bad, but being in government is better!"

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 15, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BCR posted:

Battle begins over demands to make casual workers permanent

Link

1) This is a good thing that is finally moving
2) If you can join your union, do so
3) If you have any spare coins, think about putting it towards one of the unions fighting for this

Apologies if this has already coming up. didn't want to scan read 300 posts

This is cool. What is the SDA's position on it?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i might sit at the shoreline at low tide, and wait :(

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So you're in fact conceding that the party that takes tough, unpopular decisions is the Greens, which is then reflected in their only capturing <9% of the vote?

"It sure was tough struggling with our conscience for long enough to figure out that yes torture is bad, but being in government is better!"

Noting that a Government deals with more than asylum seekers, yes. Being in Government and protecting the healthcare system, education system, disability pensions, workplace law and so on. It's a lot more important than sitting on the sideline bitching.

hooman posted:

Labor has to dedicate too many resources to holding seats against Greens who they have alienated by swinging hard right so they lose seats to the Liberal party.

Does it strike you that Labor is fighting entirely the wrong battle here? Do you see that Labor swinging right moves the overton window in a way that damages the things that at their core both Labor and the Greens agree on? Do you know that the National party also has a problem with losing votes to the Greens?

Nothing you've said has made me think that I should be voting for a party whose policies don't represent my view of how Australia should be run. You've only convinced me that Labor's strategy is really self defeating.

Self defeating strategy that puts them in with a shot (but, more likely to lose, Australian public will likely give Turnbull a chance because it's what they do, doesn't matter who was leading the ALP).

The Nats are losing vote to Greens until they lose it, or the sitting member retires and they replace them with a Liberal. Then it goes back to a conservative seat. Nationals are just ineffective at modern campaigning and the changing nature of some of their seats to have major population centres. Liberals when they get a shot at that seat are unlikely to make that mistake.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Noting that a Government deals with more than asylum seekers, yes. Being in Government and protecting the healthcare system, education system, disability pensions, workplace law and so on. It's a lot more important than sitting on the sideline bitching.

Jesus loving christ.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
After weeks of baseless anti Greens bullshit and countless arguments that fell on deaf ears, today I unfollowed about 40 Labor hacks and blocked Van Badham from my twitter feed.
Feels good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ler posted:

After weeks of baseless anti Greens bullshit and countless arguments that fell on deaf ears, today I unfollowed about 40 Labor hacks and blocked Van Badham from my twitter feed.
Feels good.

I feel honoured to meet someone who blocked Van Badham before she blocked them.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I feel honoured to meet someone who blocked Van Badham before she blocked them.

that just means you were too cowardly to tweet heinous poo poo like "maybe the ALP aren't literally perfect"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
evilelmo are you van badham?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
EvilElmo seems to have less of a grasp of the Australian electoral system than vanBadham

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Oh gently caress you birdstrike

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh gently caress you birdstrike

:laugh:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

I want to have my preconceived notions re timepieces confirmed

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

This is cool. What is the SDA's position on it?

I'll give a prejudiced answer of 'we're all for it' while working furiously behind the scenes to make sure it doesn't see the light of day, while getting backhanders from woolies and coles, so they can stop the dreaded gays from ________ .

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Real answer; sda is furiously ignoring it

Spoke to a couple of reps, and they were 'gaahh?'
Nothing on their website

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ler posted:

Feels good.

Yep its a twitter own goal. LNP btw, don't give a poo poo about Greens prefs, they just want ALP and Greens fighting over it so their prefs don't beat an LNP candidate. I'll give them that, they've come up with something different than just blasting money at voters.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ALP: Making the difficult, unpopular decisions like torturing children.

oh, bullshit. They're free to return to their home country any time they want.

It's well known that fire is hot, that's why you don't put your hand in it.

If you're going to jump on a boat, throw away your documentation, and come to Australia, you should know what to expect.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/709625469922979840

dank use of the memeage to win an argument.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

If you're going to jump on a boat, throw away your documentation, and come to Australia, you should know what to expect.

Except we have signed and ratified laws stating that we will offer refuge to people in fear of torture and murder in their homeland.

poo poo, we helped draft them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

oh, bullshit. They're free to return to their home country any time they want.

I like how you are comparing asylum seekers to rotten children who are frothing at the gash to make a dangerous journey so they can be thrown in a concentration camp for ??? years

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Unless your country is on fire, in which case you should burn.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If you're willing to turn to torture in order to stay in government, why wouldn't you lock up and torture the libs rather than asylum seekers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

EvilElmo posted:

I specifically voted for Stephen Smith when Howard was toppled because of Rudds 'softer' stand on asylum seekers. I felt very betrayed by the subsequent mess in transitioning to torture islands. I have yet to vote ALP again. gently caress your pragmatism, you're torturing vulnerable people for political gain.

You and your ilk deserve to be charged, tried, and sentenced for your evil actions as a party.

• Locked thread