Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

If you're buying Elite as an Oculus showcase, I would think Horizons was an easy sell. It strikes me as odd that people who have dropped $600+ on a sorcerous Helm of Imagination always seem to be the most reluctant about spending $30 to add a host of new environments for it to take you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

If you're buying Elite as an Oculus showcase, I would think Horizons was an easy sell. It strikes me as odd that people who have dropped $600+ on a sorcerous Helm of Imagination always seem to be the most reluctant about spending $30 to add a host of new environments for it to take you to.

Horizons is $49 dollars CAD, which would probably be enough for one or two other smaller VR games to try out different experiences. I'll go with the base game for now, and depending on what is released I'll think about the expansion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You should get horizons and immediately try landing on Achenar 3 with your VR headset on.

Do not look up anything about this planet before you attempt landing on it :gibs:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hamelekim posted:

My Rift CV one ships in two weeks and I am considering buying Elite Dangerous to explore the universe.

My question is whether or not the Horizons expansion adds anything worth while other than the flying and landing on planets? That flying through canyons video looks sweet, but are there any new ships or weapons you get with that expansion pack that make it worth while?

The idea of floating through the black of space in VR is extremely exciting, and until NMS comes out I need my space fix, this looks pretty good for that.

If you think doing this sort of thing in VR would be cool then yes you should get Horizons because the 'wowee' factor of planetside flight is pretty much the only draw.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

DancingShade posted:

You should get horizons and immediately try landing on Achenar 3 with your VR headset on.

Do not look up anything about this planet before you attempt landing on it :gibs:

I had to go look up a video of someone landing because of your comment. I just downloaded the game and I can't even launch my ship off the pad. I'm not sure a high gravity planet like that is where I should be going. Is the surface littered with the hulls of all the crashed ships? I sure hope so.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm getting a free Gear VR with my shiny new phone, so hopefully that will be pretty painless to use with Elite :D

Only thing is I don't think the Gear VR has headphones/speakers, and I don't know if I can fit both it and my headset on my head at the same time :(

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Check your exploration rank, depending on how far you are from Sol distance driven counts!

Unfortunately I only went from 40% surveyor to 42% surveyor, but it was nice to confirm it helps.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just bought this game on a semi-impulse. I've been wanting to get something to scratch the space game itch. Fuckin' around in space, pretending I'm making progress by slowly getting bigger and better ships. I'm the kind of person who can get lost in a task, like, say, mining or exploring in Minecraft, just doing stupid bullshit and looking at what there is to look at. So I'm excited to do some of that. It'll also give me an excuse to dig out my old HOTAS stick. And if I ever find the disposable income to get a VR headset, hey, cool, I can check this out, too.

As a beginner, Powerplay stuff can be ignored for now, right? I'm not going to be forced to choose some allegiance, right?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Just bought this game on a semi-impulse. I've been wanting to get something to scratch the space game itch. Fuckin' around in space, pretending I'm making progress by slowly getting bigger and better ships. I'm the kind of person who can get lost in a task, like, say, mining or exploring in Minecraft, just doing stupid bullshit and looking at what there is to look at. So I'm excited to do some of that. It'll also give me an excuse to dig out my old HOTAS stick. And if I ever find the disposable income to get a VR headset, hey, cool, I can check this out, too.

As a beginner, Powerplay stuff can be ignored for now, right? I'm not going to be forced to choose some allegiance, right?

You are not forced to do anything, if your goal is to sit outside a station in a sidewinder and stare at a sun for 40 hours you can do that without penalty.
I haven't touched powerplay because I don't care enough personally.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

This game is great fun, but realise that it is 2 miles wide and an inch deep. Once you have done one trade run/assassination mission/exploration scan, etc. you've done them all. The only real depth comes from BGS fuckery and PvP.

Powerplay is one of the least-connected and most boring aspects of the game. I made the mistake of getting into it a week after starting. Don't make my mistake. Check out the PGS thread (see OP) for actual fun.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
All this horizons talk has me curious. When is the next sale likely?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

DreadLlama posted:

I'm willing to bet that they will have a sale to coincide with the release of the Oculus Rift (the 28th).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Urit posted:

This game is great fun, but realise that it is 2 miles wide and an inch deep. Once you have done one trade run/assassination mission/exploration scan, etc. you've done them all. The only real depth comes from BGS fuckery and PvP.

Powerplay is one of the least-connected and most boring aspects of the game. I made the mistake of getting into it a week after starting. Don't make my mistake. Check out the PGS thread (see OP) for actual fun.

None of this is objectively wrong, but it's a highly ymmv situation. PvP and BGS manipulation isn't the only way to play for everyone, lots of folks have fun grinding away at trade routes or bounty hunting, and I'm loving exploration. I have no rational explanation for why anyone should find this poo poo fun given the level of repetition, but many do. Try everything

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

None of this is objectively wrong, but it's a highly ymmv situation. PvP and BGS manipulation isn't the only way to play for everyone, lots of folks have fun grinding away at trade routes or bounty hunting, and I'm loving exploration. I have no rational explanation for why anyone should find this poo poo fun given the level of repetition, but many do. Try everything

Agreed.

A lot of exploration is the same thing over and over again: figure out a route, bong every system on your way there, hit a few planets for some high-value scans. Repeat until eyes bleed.

It's all worth it, though, for that one time you come across a system that makes you go :eyepop:, either from the geometry of all the ridiculous nonsense crammed into it (I'm looking at you HIP 63835, and it doesn't even have some of the sillier things you'll come across), or just from the visuals it creates.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Urit posted:

Joining the Diamond Frogs seems like a good idea. I have a friend who plays the game, too. Is it strictly goons in Diamond Frogs, or could a buddy join along, too?

I skimmed the PGS thread and here, and didn't immediately see anything on it. Apologies if I missed it.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Joining the Diamond Frogs seems like a good idea. I have a friend who plays the game, too. Is it strictly goons in Diamond Frogs, or could a buddy join along, too?

I skimmed the PGS thread and here, and didn't immediately see anything on it. Apologies if I missed it.

I'd join Discord and ask, I believe there might be a sponsorship method but I don't know. You can join Discord without being in the group, so it's fun/fine to hang out there before you decide.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The usual standard is you can bring your nerd-friends, but if they gently caress up: you're out too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok now I have to check out Achenar 3 and give it a shot. That looks like a fun stupid challenge.

On the AFRU, I had one in my Type-6 as I was exploring but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the heck to use it. Luckily I made it back home with 99% hull but who knows how I will do once I start landing at random planets along my next trip.

Also finally selling my DK2 to prepare for my CV1/Vive. VR really is the best way to play. Took it off for some mining yesterday and while the game look great running at 1440P at 90FPS (Capped to vsync) but man the immersion is nill in comparison. God I hope the Kickstarter Rift's make it here on the 28th on the dot.

And anyone who will/is playing in VR has to have Horizons. The experience of flying down to the surface of a moon, having the game seamlessly transition from space to that crater on the surface that looked soo small, that ends up being the size of Texas, and the sounds, dust, and the shadows cast by your headlights as you come down to the surface is all amazing each time. Also after driving around on the surface for a distance, the ability to call and have your ship land nearby to pick you up is also a cool little bit of icing on the cake.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

Some videos.
2. A pretty cool canyon run Oculus Rift video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4
Thanks for posting these vids. Watching that guy do the canyon run, they should really make proper racing events you can enter on certain planets in the core systems. They could make a separate racing mode for Arena if they wanted to as well. Plus, CQC canyon maps.

timn posted:

Update on my journey to the center of Ngaledi 1:

- You might have noticed that the force of gravity from a planet decreases as you get farther from the surface, cause that's how gravity works. What I'm seeing here is that it also decreases as you fall below the surface. Ngaledi 1 has a surface gravity of 0.66g, but as I've fallen inwards the gravity has slowly decreased to an apparent minimum of 0.01g according to the hud.

- At about 0.02g rotational thrusters stopped doing anything for some reason, leaving my heading locked in place. I could still fire my lift thrusters but it was impossible to tell if they were doing anything or not while I was falling at 500 m/s.

- At some point I must have passed the center because gravity started ticking back upwards and the fall rate indicator quickly flipped from being maxed at the bottom to being maxed at the top. Rotational thrusters started working again at about 0.03-0.04g.
I don't know why, but I liked your trip report :3: I love that the gravity actually works 'all the way down'. In the future if they ever add larger structures and bases, they could have cities and stuff not just on the surface of planets, but for planetoids/asteroids and smaller moons you could have cities and stations in the hollowed-out interiors of them.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok now I have to check out Achenar 3 and give it a shot. That looks like a fun stupid challenge.

One cool thing to try there is switching your flight assist off. It'll be fun, thrust me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On a whim last night I reinstalled ED, plugged in my T-Flight HOTAS X or whatever and my EDtracker, and got in.

Flying with a joystick, throttle, and head tracking is hard :saddowns:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

DreadLlama posted:

Maybe the spring sale on Steam, probably around Easter

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
jfc i was scrolling through some streams and caught this out the corner of my eye

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sundowner posted:

jfc i was scrolling through some streams and caught this out the corner of my eye

Pretty spooky.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Just going through training. My lord am I bad at this game. I never knew I could be so bad at a game.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Rotten Cookies posted:

Just going through training. My lord am I bad at this game. I never knew I could be so bad at a game.

No, its more like most modern games no longer expect you to put any real cognitive effort on them. Just give the game a single hour for yoru brain to get an good hold on the controls and you will get much, much better very quickly.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Don't feel bad if you can't beat the "wave" combat missions, they're disgustingly hard unless they've recently retuned them. Just do the basics other than wave combat and get in game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rotten Cookies posted:

Those wave tutorials are bonkers hard compared to the actual game itself, yeah.

By comparison, the AI flying most of the bounties you will see in a Resource Extraction Site have been replaced by a Pong Machine.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dante80 posted:

2. A pretty cool canyon run Oculus Rift video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xskNQKtW4

This is almost pretty enough to make me come back. Almost.

Sundowner posted:

Fred is getting careless.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 15, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Anyone here fly FA OFF? Do you use a HOTAS, gamepad or kb/mouse?

I feel like when I try it with my HOTAS (T. Flight X) even with some extreme curves in Joystick Curves it's sooo bloody touchy and I can never get a decent balance of counter forces. I understand logically how it works, but I can't get my brain and hands to work together.

I know it's not about inputting an exactly equal opposite force but rather balancing it down to a manageable level but I find I lose control too quickly, particularly on pitch/roll.

I feel like kb/mouse would actually be easier with pitch and yaw on mouse but then equally make roll and thrust harder to manage because they're not on axes.

Any advice?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I use FA OFF sometimes. I use a Joystick/KB-combo so basically HOTAS for poor people.

Also I'm probably no help because I never think about stuff like "counter-forces", I just kind of wing it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sundowner posted:

I feel like when I try it with my HOTAS (T. Flight X) even with some extreme curves in Joystick Curves it's sooo bloody touchy and I can never get a decent balance of counter forces. I understand logically how it works, but I can't get my brain and hands to work together.

I know it's not about inputting an exactly equal opposite force but rather balancing it down to a manageable level but I find I lose control too quickly, particularly on pitch/roll.

I feel like kb/mouse would actually be easier with pitch and yaw on mouse but then equally make roll and thrust harder to manage because they're not on axes.

Any advice?

Flying with FA off is one of those things that gets recommended less because it's necessary and more because it sounds hardcore to say you're doing it. Much of what people look to accomplish with FA-off can be done with liberal use of the directional and reverse thrusters, with the added benefit of your ship not feeling like a 60's helicopter. If you're playing PvE then it especially doesn't matter.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sundowner posted:

Any advice?

This is why you see a lot of people recommend putting FA-OFF on a "hold" keybind. It's insanely hard to fly manually in 6DOF, inertia is a bitch. While you were trying to correct you just created three other things you need to also make slight corrections against, and now you're spinning like a top.

Putting it on a hold toggle lets you push FA-OFF, perform whatever reckless fancy maneuver you need to, and then release it, forcing the ship's computer to take back over and fix the momentum you just created. It's the most fun way to fly (and another reason that if my ship ever becomes sentient it's going to fly me straight into the nearest moon).

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Shine posted:

Flying with FA off is one of those things that gets recommended less because it's necessary and more because it sounds hardcore to say you're doing it. Much of what people look to accomplish with FA-off can be done with liberal use of the directional and reverse thrusters, with the added benefit of your ship not feeling like a 60's helicopter. If you're playing PvE then it especially doesn't matter.

Oh it's absolutely about showmanship above all else. I think there are a select few who fly FA off and are a veritable threat to even the best pilots but I there's something about it that just feels so great when it does work because you do feel like you are in total control of your ship or at least responsible for every maneuver. I want to learn to be able to fly with it mostly off but I feel like it would be better with two sticks rather than a stick and throttle. It sucks not having every DOF on an axis and the only way around it with my HOTAS is to use shift modifiers to say put lateral and vertical thrust on the T.Flight's throttle slider but that limits you to only being able to really use one at a time. It sucks having to try and do fine grain movements with a button.

This is why you see a lot of people recommend putting FA-OFF on a "hold" keybind. It's insanely hard to fly manually in 6DOF, inertia is a bitch. While you were trying to correct you just created three other things you need to also make slight corrections against, and now you're spinning like a top.

That's probably the most sensible and useful way to incorporate FA off and that's how I'd usually do it but I want to attempt to learn to fly with it mostly off and rather do the inverse of this and use FA on as a tool. Dumb, and pointless, but it's something to do!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I want to upgrade my vulture to a federal assault ship, which means I need to earn some ranks with the Federation. I'm currently unaligned in powerplay, is it worth it to pledge to one of the federation supporters for the boost I'll get to reputation gains? I was planning on pledging for Lavigny-Duval for the 20% bounty bonus, but doing so would decrease my reputation gains while I'm grinding federation bulletin boards, right?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm not sure, but I don't think pledging to powerplay makes any difference to navy progression.

Go to 17 Draconis. The board there is full of missions that'll increase your Federal Navy rank progression. You have two choices once you get there:

1. Reset the board for donation missions (I don't do this, so I've no idea how well it works or even if it still does).

2. Take a long range trader like an Asp, and just run the missions normally. You'll get 4-5 courier missions (100,000 to 500,000 credits each), a shadow delivery or two (about 3 million each), some donations, and some "find us medicines/food" charity missions. Just do a loop, take the courier missions out and then bring your medicines/food/whatever back. It doesn't take long to get to Chief Petty Officer, and you'll make some decent money doing it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I don't have enough cash to buy an asp without hocking my vulture first, which I refuse to do for religious reasons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A long range Cobra or Adder would probably work just as well.

The courier missions don't need cargo space, and the shadow deliveries mostly seemed to be 2-3 tons apiece. The charity missions sometimes asked for 10-12 tons, but those were mostly 2-3 tons each too.

You do need trader and explorer ranks to pick up the missions though. I did it at pathfinder/broker.

edit: I'm lying, my explorer rank was surveyor.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Resetting the board in 17 Draconis does still work, and pretty well. It's loving boring, but it's by far the fastest method. I think I got Chief Pretty Officer in two evenings of Board Reset Game, and I wasn't efficient or dedicated by any means.

The only thing that may have changed about the method is where to do it... as a system's economy changes with player activity so do its missions on offer. If a ton of people are pumping money into a spot it'll offer fewer donation missions. Poke around on the interwebs and see what's currently good, just be sure to check timestamps to make sure the info is recent.

17 Draconis seems to always be decent for charity missions because it's a remote shithole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Me not having enough cash to put together an asp means just straight up trading credits for rank is also beyond my purview.

• Locked thread