Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DeusExMachinima posted:

loving rekt

Anyone who votes for Trump deserves to have their jobs exported as far away as possible. They've proven themselves unworthy of the dignity of adult things.
This unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Off-year elections are the dumbest loving things, but yes. One of the biggest problems is that districts are drawn by the states themselves (dumb) and we do not control the majority of state houses or governorships.

I don't mind odd year elections, but I guess they work out in my favor as a NYC resident. I can't imagine a mayoral election going on at the same time as a presidential or gubernatorial race. Seems like too important a position so take a back seat to a race which doesn't directly affect me as much.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Franco Potente posted:

I don't think any of this is necessarily going to play out in the way described.

Bernie is absolutely not winning more than 3 states, even in the rosiest of predictions (FL and NC are totally for Hillary). Because these primaries are proportional, even if Bernie does win IL, OH, MO (and I'm really skeptical on that last one, too), they are going to be really close, while Clinton is gonna win by higher margins in FL and NC and will thus continue to increase her delegate lead over Sanders.

The GOP donor class is not going to defect to the Democratic side of things.

How are her poll numbers being driven into the ground?

How is running attack ads against Bernie going to backfire? He and Trump are not similar at all.

Hillary has been running an almost Jeb-level campaign. She can't stop putting her foot in her mouth, and keeps taking the wrong message away from each defeat. If she comes away with only a small increase in her delegate lead today and looks vulnerable, I could see Bernie winning it (and I am not even a Bernie fan). Bernie is similar to Trump in that attack ads will make him more appealing to the Democrats in the remaining states.

As for the donor class - I have to imagine some of them are going to be panicking at the prospect of a Trump vs. Sanders general election.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

Hillary has been running an almost Jeb-level campaign. She can't stop putting her foot in her mouth, and keeps taking the wrong message away from each defeat.

Are you from some strange parallel universe?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TyrantWD posted:

Hillary has been running an almost Jeb-level campaign. She can't stop putting her foot in her mouth, and keeps taking the wrong message away from each defeat. If she comes away with only a small increase in her delegate lead today and looks vulnerable, I could see Bernie winning it (and I am not even a Bernie fan). Bernie is similar to Trump in that attack ads will make him more appealing to the Democrats in the remaining states.

As for the donor class - I have to imagine some of them are going to be panicking at the prospect of a Trump vs. Sanders general election.

Bernie isn't going to overcome a 300+ pledged delegate lead she's going to have at the end of today (she's going to add about ~100 today). Full stop. This is a larger lead than Obama, at any point, ever had on her in 2008 under virtually the same delegate rules.

No one cares about this poo poo people on the internet are FLIPPING THEIR MIND ABOUT.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie isn't going to overcome a 300+ pledged delegate lead she's going to have at the end of today (she's going to add about ~100 today). Full stop. This is a larger lead than Obama, at any point, ever had on her in 2008 under virtually the same delegate rules.

No one cares about this poo poo people on the internet are FLIPPING THEIR MIND ABOUT.

She is only at +220 at the moment. If she ends the night on +240, I'd say she is in trouble. Outside of the mid-Atlantic states, she is facing very unfavorable states across the board. She probably won't get another big win after Florida until the end of April when we get to Maryland (or even stand a chance at a win outside NY). The narrative that builds from that is going to extremely problematic for the Clinton campaign.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TyrantWD posted:

She is only at +220 at the moment. If she ends the night on +240, I'd say she is in trouble. Outside of the mid-Atlantic states, she is facing very unfavorable states across the board. She probably won't get another big win after Florida until the end of April when we get to Maryland (or even stand a chance at a win outside NY). The narrative that builds from that is going to extremely problematic for the Clinton campaign.

She's going to end up a lot more than +240 (Bernie would have to do /exceptionally/ well, like loving FANTASTIC in Fla and NC for that to not happen.)

Also 220 is more than Obama ever had on her, at any point, in 2008. So no.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

botany posted:

Are you from some strange parallel universe?

nah, probably just /r/sandersforpresident

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

You're crazy. If today ends with Hillary only at +240 (which would be a miracle), Bernie would need to win 56% of the remaining delegates to even tie. That's a +7% improvement over his current numbers - a hell of a stretch this late in the campaign cycle. Most likely she's going to be closer to +300, which puts it to a basically impossible 58%.

I'm not even going to touch the rest of your statements, since you're goddamn delusional.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Are Bernie supporters just now assuming because Michigan's polls were wrong, they're all wrong?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I have an insane theory about the drug war. That it's being used as a "convenient" way to keep unemployment at managable levels. That since we haven't had a major population culling of excess young males this generation, mass incarceration has been used to fill that lack.

I don't forsee total decriminalization or legalization ever happening. Why? Because a sudden influx of a few million prisoners into the economy, with no job prospects and the added difficulty of getting one with a record, it would have severe effects on the economy and crime levels.

I can't think of an elegant solution to that problem that we could actually implement. (I'd say mincome might do the trick, but that is a non-starter.)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
tyrantwd has been staunchly for hillary the entire time you goofballs

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
WaPo article about politics junkies watching for a contested convention

Sadly, no usernames.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TheQat posted:

I don't keep tabs on people in YCS; so he's just Arzying? Got it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Talmonis posted:

I have an insane theory

that's insane

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Talmonis posted:

I have an insane theory about the drug war. That it's being used as a "convenient" way to keep unemployment at managable levels. That since we haven't had a major population culling of excess young males this generation, mass incarceration has been used to fill that lack.

I don't forsee total decriminalization or legalization ever happening. Why? Because a sudden influx of a few million prisoners into the economy, with no job prospects and the added difficulty of getting one with a record, it would have severe effects on the economy and crime levels.

I can't think of an elegant solution to that problem that we could actually implement. (I'd say mincome might do the trick, but that is a non-starter.)

Massive country wide infrastructure improvement program to create jobs to put them into?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TheQat posted:

Doesn't make his recent posts any less dumb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Talmonis posted:

I know it's totally politically unrealistic but use the money we throw into the prison industry and start employing these people on public works projects and repairing our infrastructure.

The even more unrealistic idea is to just use what we are paying to incarcerate them to give everyone a living wage since we are effectively paying to have them do nothing as it is just in a place they aren't allowed to leave but LOL on that one.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Taerkar posted:

Doesn't make his recent posts any less dumb.

did i say anything like that? two people on this page implied that he is a sanders supporter which is just categorically wrong

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

D&D needs a sticky thread saying GE matchups don't matter until after the conventions, Hillary is gonna be the Dem nominee barring some crazy event like a health crisis or indictment and no one knows anything about the GOP race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Are Bernie supporters just now assuming because Michigan's polls were wrong, they're all wrong?

Rubio supporters too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That and Bernie has consistently outperformed months old polls(who knew that campaigning would change that????) and they're in 2012 unskewing mode.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fknlo posted:

That and Bernie has consistently outperformed months old polls(who knew that campaigning would change that????) and they're in 2012 unskewing mode.

I hope someone posts r/sanders4president highlights again tonight in the thread. those are always great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

I hope someone posts r/sanders4president highlights again tonight in the thread. those are always great.

I'd imagine they're gonna be super cocky tonight.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I have seen someone describe Trump's lips as a puckered anus of outrage, and I just wanted to share the gloriously gross yet accurate image with you all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

I'd imagine they're gonna be super cocky tonight.

Not if Bernie loses a whole bunch of states.

Nothing'll probably top that guy :qq:ing about his gf leaving him for a Clinton supporter after NV though. Or the guy who donated his whole food budget to THE REVOLUTION

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Pretty much. Or at least hoping for a last minute shift.

I suspect that what's going to happen is Bernie's going to lose, but Hillary is going to continue to underperformed, and by the time we hit the convention the Democratic party will have a massive case of buyers remorse.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

VanSandman posted:

I have seen someone describe Trump's lips as a puckered anus of outrage, and I just wanted to share the gloriously gross yet accurate image with you all.

except people bleach their anus not glaze it in pf changs sweet and sour

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

axeil posted:

Nothing'll probably top that guy :qq:ing about his gf leaving him for a Clinton supporter after NV though. Or the guy who donated his whole food budget to THE REVOLUTION

I believe both of those were fakes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

axeil posted:

You do realize those were fakeposts right

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

Maybe it will be me in here after Hillary loses MO by one vote(mine), Bernie cruises to the nomination and then gets destroyed in the general when Trump whips out his 12 inch cock and slaps Bernie across the face with it during a debate and then proceeds to win every state in a landslide.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

are you telling me that some Bernie supporters are low-information voters?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

The last census coincided with the 2010 tea party wave. Democrats picked a really lovely year to not show up at the polls.

Yes, yes they did. Possibly :nws:, unless your job is alright with poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw41BDhI_K8

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

except people bleach their anus not glaze it in pf changs sweet and sour

Speak for yourself ;-*

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

...were they?

I mean the first one probably was but the 2nd one I'm not sure of. Poe's Law is in full effect over there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

and by the time we hit the convention the Democratic party will have a massive case of buyers remorse.

I don't see this happening outside of the pending indictment that has been moments away for months now.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The Republicans really have done a fantastic job of poisoning the populace against Clinton with their 20 year attack. Even my wife despises her, and can't articulate why. Just that she's "unlikable" and "untrustoworthy". She can't even give examples of the latter being the case, until the email thing, which she admits is stupid. I used to hold a lot of these same feelings about her (Clinton), until asking myself what it was exactly that did it. The answer "Nothing" was all I needed to know I was being had. Now to work on more loved ones.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Anything that solidifies my worldview should be given the utmost benefit of the doubt.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

fknlo posted:

I don't see this happening outside of the pending indictment that has been moments away for months now.

Hillary will be indicted the minute the Iranians get a working nuclear weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really the whole focus on winning and losing states in the Democratic Primary is a huge disservice to the electorate. Every state is proportional so it's worthless to describe a contest like MI or MA in terms of who won. The margins are the most important thing, and people don't have an accurate view of the race due to tallying up meaningless wins and losses.

• Locked thread